PDA

View Full Version : TE Daniel Fells could figure prominently in Broncos' passing attack

TXBRONC
08-19-2011, 08:37 AM
TE Daniel Fells could figure prominently in Broncos' passing attack
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/19/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 08/19/2011 07:18:38 AM MDT

With all of the passes the Broncos' running backs and tight ends have caught in training camp, it's pretty clear the team's passing game, which has primarily operated out of a three-wide receiver look the last two years, will include more of the big guys this time around.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18711638

But will this translate to more point assuming that the tight end is a bigger part of the offense:questionmark:

vandammage13
08-19-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm hoping that Julius Thomas develops quickly...

I've got Antonio Gates type hopes for him....

TXBRONC
08-19-2011, 09:09 AM

I've got Antonio Gates type hopes for him....

I guess it depends on what you consider quickly. Gates took a year (I think) to develop before he even hit the field.

vandammage13
08-19-2011, 09:16 AM
I guess it depends on what you consider quickly. Gates took a year (I think) to develop before he even hit the field.

If he turns out like Gates, I'll give him as much time to develop as he needs.

dogfish
08-19-2011, 01:17 PM

he better-- fells and rosario are both on one-year deals. . . .

HORSEPOWER 56
08-19-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm guessing that Fells is really what Quinn was supposed to be, a good blocker that can catch a pass or two. Maybe he becomes a weapon in the receiving game, but make no mistake, he's starting right now because he can block. Most likely, they'll line him up next to Franklin on passing downs to help and at least chip before running his route.

TXBRONC
08-19-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm guessing that Fells is really what Quinn was supposed to be, a good blocker that can catch a pass or two. Maybe he becomes a weapon in the receiving game, but make no mistake, he's starting right now because he can block. Most likely, they'll line him up next to Franklin on passing downs to help and at least chip before running his route.

Fells presences means this: Good-bye Richard Quinn. :wave:

Canmore
08-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Fells presences means this: Good-bye Richard Quinn. :wave:

The writing appears to be on the wall. What did we give up to move up and take Quinn? Whatever it was, it was McDaniels being an idiot.

Magnificent Seven
08-19-2011, 05:17 PM
I don't want Antonio Gates. I wanna him to be "Next Shannon Sharpe!" :salute:

TXBRONC
08-19-2011, 05:20 PM
The writing appears to be on the wall. What did we give up to move up and take Quinn? Whatever it was, it was McDaniels being an idiot.

I can't remember for sure I think it was 3rd pick. That move was bad but giving up a 1st round pick to get move up in the second round to get Alphoso Smith was worse.

Canmore
08-19-2011, 05:26 PM
I can't remember for sure I think it was 3rd pick. That move was bad but giving up a 1st round pick to get move up in the second round to get Alphoso Smith was worse.

That move was horrendous. Then giving up on him after one season for nothing. Makes me want to puke. I know Smith got toasted some in Detroit, but he made some plays and that was why McDaniels drafted him. :tsk:

dogfish
08-19-2011, 05:44 PM

we gave up two thirds for the second that we wasted on quinn, and a 4th that was either seth olsen or kenny mckinley (R.I.P.). . . .

bcbronc
08-19-2011, 10:40 PM

we gave up nothing, in actual fact. two thirds for a second a fourth...just shuffled things around is all. I know Quinn hasn't made an impact as a pro, and being injured all camp is going to make making the final roster difficult considering how many TEs the FO added, but I actually agree with the strategy of moving around to get the guy at the top of your board (or maximize value).

It's fair game to criticize the evaluation of Quinn as an individual, but there's nothing moronic about giving up two thirds for a second and a fourth.

TXBRONC
08-19-2011, 10:45 PM
we gave up nothing, in actual fact. two thirds for a second a fourth...just shuffled things around is all. I know Quinn hasn't made an impact as a pro, and being injured all camp is going to make making the final roster difficult considering how many TEs the FO added, but I actually agree with the strategy of moving around to get the guy at the top of your board (or maximize value).

It's fair game to criticize the evaluation of Quinn as an individual, but there's nothing moronic about giving up two thirds for a second and a fourth.

I disagree. Giving up two third round picks to select a blocking tight end that we could have had later in the draft is moronic. I don't see how that trade off is mazimizing value.

dogfish
08-19-2011, 10:58 PM

I disagree. Giving up two third round picks to select a blocking tight end that we could have had later in the draft is moronic. I don't see how that trade off is mazimizing value.

let's be honest here-- i was PISSED at the time, but in hindsight, mcdaniels wasting two thirds is no different than mcdaniels wasting a second and a fourth. . . and he probably would have. . .

bcbronc
08-19-2011, 11:01 PM

you don't know he would have been available later. speculation at the time was he was on other teams' radars as well. I dunno, New England drafts blocking TEs every year, and they've do all right. How much did we spend to lure Daniel Graham here as a ufa...lots of money to spend on a blocking TE when you can use a 3rd rounder on one instead (if A. Smith is considered a 1st rounder, R. Quinn should be considered a 3rd rounder, no?).

I know everyone that hates McDaniels likes to look at this as an example of his incompetence...there's plenty of examples for that but I don't see this as one. Sure, Quinn might not make it but no one can argue he's a bad blocker and he showed good hands at the combine even if he didn't come from a program that threw to the TE. Quinn might bust, but he was the 64 player taken...what's the success rate for guys taken 60 or later? Probably a lot more busts than hits would be my guess. ;)

Canmore
08-19-2011, 11:26 PM
let's be honest here-- i was PISSED at the time, but in hindsight, mcdaniels wasting two thirds is no different than mcdaniels wasting a second and a fourth. . . and he probably would have. . .

Lol. Well said.

TXBRONC
08-19-2011, 11:37 PM
you don't know he would have been available later. speculation at the time was he was on other teams' radars as well. I dunno, New England drafts blocking TEs every year, and they've do all right. How much did we spend to lure Daniel Graham here as a ufa...lots of money to spend on a blocking TE when you can use a 3rd rounder on one instead (if A. Smith is considered a 1st rounder, R. Quinn should be considered a 3rd rounder, no?).

I know everyone that hates McDaniels likes to look at this as an example of his incompetence...there's plenty of examples for that but I don't see this as one. Sure, Quinn might not make it but no one can argue he's a bad blocker and he showed good hands at the combine even if he didn't come from a program that threw to the TE. Quinn might bust, but he was the 64 player taken...what's the success rate for guys taken 60 or later? Probably a lot more busts than hits would be my guess. ;)

Graham's reputation was built on his blocking but he was more well rounded than just being able to block. How often have you heard New England spending two 3rd round picks to move up to the 2nd round to take a tight end who had only 12 catches in four years. Catching a few passes at the combine doesn't say much lot to me.

We'll just have to disagree on the drafting of Quinn as showing McDaniels incompetence. Alphonso Smith wasn't considered a 1st round talent. I've heard some people say that in any other draft he would have gone in the first round. There is no way to know that. If Quinn was seen as a third round talent then moving up to the second round doesn't seem to be very wise even if Quinn was drawing interest from other teams.

Before the start of camp last year he was pressed about the '09 draft and his answer was he didn't have enough time to properly prepare.

TXBRONC
08-19-2011, 11:43 PM

But isn't that the point? It was waste whether it was two thirds or a second and fourth.

bcbronc
08-19-2011, 11:44 PM
How often have you heard New England spending two 3rd round picks to move up to the 2nd round to take a tight end who had only 12 catches in four years.

haven't heard of Denver doing that either, so whatever.

But you're right, agree to disagree. What's done be done. Be nice if Quinn could get healthy and become a contributor, but if not he's not the first 2nd rounder to bust, and won't be the last.

I do miss Jr though...I need some Hi-5's for my pro-McDaniels posts! :elefant:

TXBRONC
08-19-2011, 11:47 PM
haven't heard of Denver doing that either, so whatever.

But you're right, agree to disagree. What's done be done. Be nice if Quinn could get healthy and become a contributor, but if not he's not the first 2nd rounder to bust, and won't be the last.

Fair enough.

Btw many times I give hi fives to people I don't agree with. ;)

dogfish
08-20-2011, 12:09 AM

that would make me feel dirty. . . . :huh: