PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Guitarist

BroncoJoe
11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
I couldn't find a thread with this same title - there was one for the '00's only, so I figured I'd start one.

I may get flamed for this, but I don't care. Lindsey Buckingham is my personal favorite. Anyone that can make one guitar sound like two or more is tops in my book.

Try to listen to the music instead of his singing.

HdXbiB354us

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Very unique picking style and chord formations...to each his own Joe. :D

BroncoJoe
11-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Very unique picking style and chord formations...to each his own Joe. :D

Well, needless to say, I'm a HUGE Fleetwood Mac fan. Always have been, always will be.

Northman
11-25-2008, 01:37 PM
I actually like the whole song. Had never heard of this guy pretty good stuff. Not bad on guitar but im not sure i would have him as an alltime favorite. Would have to check out more of his work to really compare though.

Northman
11-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Well, needless to say, I'm a HUGE Fleetwood Mac fan. Always have been, always will be.

Mac is great no doubt. :D:beer:

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 01:38 PM
I actually like the whole song. Had never heard of this guy pretty good stuff. Not bad on guitar but im not sure i would have him as an alltime favorite. Would have to check out more of his work to really compare though.

Yeah you have. He's Fleetwood Mac's guitarist. You know, "Don't stop"

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan is my favorite:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hIpIsM4KTLc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hIpIsM4KTLc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

shank
11-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Sungha Jung

BroncoJoe
I kick that songs ass on Guitar Hero MB...
:D

Northman
Yeah you have. He's Fleetwood Mac's guitarist. You know, "Don't stop"

Yea, i never knew his name till now. I could never get past Stevie Nicks. :lol:

BroncoJoe
11-25-2008, 01:44 PM

Another favorite of his:

rxsV8Evpd58

shank
11-25-2008, 01:45 PM
WirEJbA14xA&feature=related

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 01:49 PM
All time, I have to go with SRV. His playing just always puts me in a trance. I've found that I actually play darts and pool better when his music is playing at the bar.

Slash is #2 for me. That guy has come up with more magnificent riffs than I can count. Always love listening to him play.

Right now, I'm enamored with Herman Li. The stuff that cat can do is nothing short of jaw-droping

shank
11-25-2008, 01:51 PM
and trace bundy

Northman
11-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Right now, I'm enamored with Herman Li. The stuff that cat can do is nothing short of jaw-droping

Dragonforce guy right?

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Dragonforce guy right?

Yep. i still cant figure out how he does some of that stuff

Northman
11-25-2008, 02:00 PM
A guy who should be on that top 100 list (maybe i missed him) is John Petrucci

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT39qE9UDm8&feature=related

My Favorite though is Devin Townsend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMYKcruEug

Dr Velcro
11-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Randy Rhodes...

It's who I grew up on.

yardog
11-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, Rickey Medlocke, Steve Gaines and Hughie Thomasson.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Zakk is hated by alot of people for some reason, but I still rank him higher than Randy

Northman
11-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Zakk is hated by alot of people for some reason, but I still rank him higher than Randy

Amen brother. :beer:

Northman
11-25-2008, 02:12 PM
What do you think about Jake E. Lee Coach? I think he was underrated too but definitely overshadowed by Rhoads and Wylde. I think his best work was done with Badlands though. Definitely blues influenced.

Rex
11-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Mine is Mo.

Please. Please. Please. Mo, will you post a video of you playing your guitar? Please?

Dr Velcro
11-25-2008, 02:18 PM

Apples and oranges. I can't say that one is really better.

Different styles of high performance models, lol.
As far as Ozzy's guitarists are concerned...Jake E Lee is awesome.

You can tell the difference between these guys for sure, but I'm not going to say any of them are better than the other, just different.

I prefer Randy.

And had Randy lived, who knows how much he would have evolved.

Early Zakk was very southern rock.

After Randy would have to be Dimebag Darrell. Hands down.
I CAN say that Dimebag was better. I think it was because he was a TRUE fan of all these guys. Imitation IS the best form of a compliment. There wasn't a lot Dime couldn't do with 6 strings.

However, Randy is what I grew up on and he's part of my youth.
Without the likes of Randy, there would be no Zakk or Dime to hear (as know them).

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Mine is Mo.

Please. Please. Please. Mo, will you post a video of you playing your guitar? Please?

No. You are such a smart ass.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 02:21 PM
What do you think about Jake E. Lee Coach? I think he was underrated too but definitely overshadowed by Rhoads and Wylde. I think his best work was done with Badlands though. Definitely blues influenced.

Absolutely. Badlands was awesome. You know he actually got the gig with Ozzy after it came down to him and George Lynch.

Rex
11-25-2008, 02:22 PM
No. You are such a smart ass.

Hey midget, I want a video, or I declare war.:shocked:

broncofaninfla
I loved ALL of Ozzy's guitarists but Randy Rhodes is my all time favorite

Northman
Absolutely. Badlands was awesome. You know he actually got the gig with Ozzy after it came down to him and George Lynch.

Yea i think i remember hearing about that. Lynch is no slouch either.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Apples and oranges. I can't say that one is really better.

Different styles of high performance models, lol.
As far as Ozzy's guitarists are concerned...Jake E Lee is awesome.

You can tell the difference between these guys for sure, but I'm not going to say any of them are better than the other, just different.

I prefer Randy.

And had Randy lived, who knows how much he would have evolved.

Early Zakk was very southern rock.

After Randy would have to be Dimebag Darrell. Hands down.
I CAN say that Dimebag was better. I think it was because he was a TRUE fan of all these guys. Imitation IS the best form of a compliment. There wasn't a lot Dime couldn't do with 6 strings.

However, Randy is what I grew up on and he's part of my youth.
Without the likes of Randy, there would be no Zakk or Dime to hear (as know them).

Keep in mind that Dimebag was also influenced by Ace Frehley...what does that tell you. I dont know what Randy would have done had he lived, but based on what he did accomplish and what Zakk has proven he can do...Zakk is hands down the better guitarist/musicisn

broncofaninfla
11-25-2008, 02:23 PM

True, Brad Gillis from Night Ranger filled in after Randy was killed and before Jake started

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Yea i think i remember hearing about that. Lynch is no slouch either.

That's what I'm saying. if you beat out George Lynch for (at the time) the best gig in the world...you're pretty damn good.

broncofaninfla
11-25-2008, 02:26 PM
That's what I'm saying. if you beat out George Lynch for (at the time) the best gig in the world...you're pretty damn good.

So true, Ozzy always has the best play for him.

Dr Velcro
11-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Keep in mind that Dimebag was also influenced by Ace Frehley...what does that tell you. I dont know what Randy would have done had he lived, but based on what he did accomplish and what Zakk has proven he can do...Zakk is hands down the better guitarist/musicisn

I am a KISS fan. I have a statue of Gene Simmons in a lighted display case. I enjoyed Ace. It was part of my youth as well. All about the flash & show, lol. I was a great time for music.

I can't lie, I love all metal & rock...for the exception of Nickelback & a few more modern day pansies who should be put to painful death.

Classically trained guitarists are what I love, though.

Dimebag did some great interviews while he was alive.

Damnit, I miss Pantera.

NightTrainLayne
11-25-2008, 02:43 PM
If I was going to listen to someone just for the guitar playing it would be either Hendrix, or Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I'm also a big fan of Warren Haynes. . .someone who is very UNDER-rated.

DallasChief
11-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Neil Young

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 02:44 PM
If I was going to listen to someone just for the guitar playing it would be either Hendrix, or Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I'm also a big fan of Warren Haynes. . .someone who is very UNDER-rated.

Deja Voodoo is one excellent album.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 02:45 PM
I am a KISS fan. I have a statue of Gene Simmons in a dlighted display case. I enjoyed Ace. It was part of my youth as well. All about the flash & show, lol. I was a great time for music.

I can't lie, I love all metal & rock...for the exception of Nickelback & a few more modern day pansies who should be put to painful death.

Classically trained guitarists are what I love, though.

Dimebag did some great interviews while he was alive.

Damnit, I miss Pantera.

The main reason I miss Pantera and Dime is because I am completely sick and tired of hearing Vinnie and Rita do interviews every other f'ing week. Last night, Vinnie si on Liquid Metal trying to sell a book of pictures of Dime. It's like they use his death to make money.

The other crap I cant stand is how Phil was immediately excommunicated from everything simply because he had a problem with Dime and Vinnie. So, Rex starts playing in Down with Phil and now they dont like him either.

Sorry guys, but Vinnie and Dime (through Rita) killed Pantera. They wanted the mainstream and Phil wanted to play metal. I love Vinnie and Dime, but I'm tired of them getting all the pub

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Deja Voodoo is one excellent album.

It's also a good song by Kenny Wayne Sheppard

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 02:48 PM
It's also a good song by Kenny Wayne Sheppard

Did not know that one. I haven't followed him much.

Dr Velcro
11-25-2008, 02:49 PM
The main reason I miss Pantera and Dime is because I am completely sick and tired of hearing Vinnie and Rita do interviews every other f'ing week. Last night, Vinnie si on Liquid Metal trying to sell a book of pictures of Dime. It's like they use his death to make money.

The other crap I cant stand is how Phil was immediately excommunicated from everything simply because he had a problem with Dime and Vinnie. So, Rex starts playing in Down with Phil and now they dont like him either.

Sorry guys, but Vinnie and Dime (through Rita) killed Pantera. They wanted the mainstream and Phil wanted to play metal. I love Vinnie and Dime, but I'm tired of them getting all the pub

Vinnie Paul sold out hard, but makes a great snare! It's deep as hell!
I really didn't know the difference until I heard it for myself.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Did not know that one. I haven't followed him much.

Gotta check him out. If you like SRV, you'll like KWS

Northman
11-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Vinnie Paul sold out hard, but makes a great snare! It's deep as hell!
I really didn't know the difference until I heard it for myself.

Cowboys from Hell is still my favorite album although it borrowed a lot of riffs from early Metallica. The only difference is Dime could run circles around Kirk and company all day long.

Dr Velcro
11-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Cowboys from Hell is still my favorite album although it borrowed a lot of riffs from early Metallica. The only difference is Dime could run circles around Kirk and company all day long.

FYI, your Avy is bad ass. I love it very much

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 02:54 PM

Far Beyond Driven was my favorite simply because it was heavier than the rest, but hell...give me any Pantera all day and I'm happy

Buff
11-25-2008, 02:56 PM

I don't know who did what, and all the politics leading to their breakup-- But Dimebag WAS Pantera. Period. Phil should have realized they were his ticket to ride and done whatever the **** they wanted him to do.

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 02:59 PM
I used to love Vernon Reid. I wonder what ever happened to that guy.

Looking at wiki it seems he got off into the abyss of jazz.

NightTrainLayne
11-25-2008, 03:00 PM

Me too. He was pretty amazing. "Cult of Personality" is one of my all-time favorites.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't know who did what, and all the politics leading to their breakup-- But Dimebag WAS Pantera. Period. Phil should have realized they were his ticket to ride and done whatever the **** they wanted him to do.

Hmmm...I'll never take anything away from Dime's abilities, but to say HE was Pantera is ridiculous. Dime was a legendary guitarist, but Vinnie was no clouch on drums, Rex is a monster when it comes to playing heavy metal bass and Phil has one of the most prolific voices in metal history. The four of them together formed arguably the best metal band ever and losing any one of the four would have made them alot different.

Phil did some crumby things when he was an addict, but he tried gharder than the avergae guy would to make up for those mistakes and he was ridiculed because Dime was put on such a pedastal.

Where are they now? I'll take Down and Superjoint Ritual over Damageplan and HellYeah ANY DAY OF THE WEEK

Northman
11-25-2008, 03:02 PM

He is a great guitarist. I never really appreciated him until i heard some of his solo stuff.

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Me too. He was pretty amazing. "Cult of Personality" is one of my all-time favorites.
Not to get into politics, but I think of Obama when I hear that song. :laugh:

Dr Velcro
11-25-2008, 03:05 PM

Not hard to do....

Agreed!

That song is a BITCH to play.

Northman
11-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Hmmm...I'll never take anything away from Dime's abilities, but to say HE was Pantera is ridiculous. Dime was a legendary guitarist, but Vinnie was no clouch on drums, Rex is a monster when it comes to playing heavy metal bass and Phil has one of the most prolific voices in metal history. The four of them together formed arguably the best metal band ever and losing any one of the four would have made them alot different.

Phil did some crumby things when he was an addict, but he tried gharder than the avergae guy would to make up for those mistakes and he was ridiculed because Dime was put on such a pedastal.

Where are they now? I'll take Down and Superjoint Ritual over Damageplan and HellYeah ANY DAY OF THE WEEK

My only problem with Phil is that he let his drug use get out of control and it affected him onstage. The last Pantera show i attended at Ozzfest he was so blitzed that he couldnt remember the lyrics to Cemetary Gates and was looking for the fans to help him out. Rex was clearly pissed off at him that night. Truly disappointing. But, when i saw them in 93' they were kicking tail. I miss those times.

Buff
11-25-2008, 03:08 PM

Eh, I really like Mudvayne, so I'll take Hell Yeah, then Superjoint, then Down, then Damageplan.

But they don't come close to measuring up to Pantera... And I didn't mean to slight the rest of the members, because they are all metal gods, but Dime was the glue that held them all together...

Buff
11-25-2008, 03:14 PM
My only problem with Phil is that he let his drug use get out of control and it affected him onstage. The last Pantera show i attended at Ozzfest he was so blitzed that he couldnt remember the lyrics to Cemetary Gates and was looking for the fans to help him out. Rex was clearly pissed off at him that night. Truly disappointing. But, when i saw them in 93' they were kicking tail. I miss those times.

I never got to see Pantera unforunately... But I saw Phil play with Superjoint Ritual like 5-6 years ago, it was a noon show in Colorado Springs and they were the first one's on and he was sooooo ****** up.

It was still a bad ass show, but he was falling down and talking about how lit he was... I was surprised someone could even get that ****** up before 1 pm. Fine for superjoint, but if he would have pulled that shit as a headliner with Pantera (which he did on numerous occasions) I'd be pissed too.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Eh, I really like Mudvayne, so I'll take Hell Yeah, then Superjoint, then Down, then Damageplan.

But they don't come close to measuring up to Pantera... And I didn't mean to slight the rest of the members, because they are all metal gods, but Dime was the glue that held them all together...

Ill give Darrell his props, but the band still isnt Pantera without Phil.

I'm not a big Mudvayne fan, but I will say I like HellYeah. Much different sound. But either way...that band has nothing to do with Dime and they'd likely sound the same with any other drummer.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 03:17 PM
My biggest complaint with the 13 Pantera shows I saw was how Phil would get on his soapbox and rant for half the show...but...he's still an all-time great front man.

If you come across the Superjoint Ritual:Live in Dallas DVD, pick it up. he was sober and the show was amazing...plus there are quite a few shots of Coach moshing. Look for the guy in the pit with the Sabbath t-shirt on.

DallasChief
11-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Bonnie Raitt

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Bonnie Raitt

I was hoping someone would bring her up before I did...um...she can really play...

Northman
11-25-2008, 03:25 PM
I never got to see Pantera unforunately... But I saw Phil play with Superjoint Ritual like 5-6 years ago, it was a noon show in Colorado Springs and they were the first one's on and he was sooooo ****** up.

It was still a bad ass show, but he was falling down and talking about how lit he was... I was surprised someone could even get that ****** up before 1 pm. Fine for superjoint, but if he would have pulled that shit as a headliner with Pantera (which he did on numerous occasions) I'd be pissed too.

:lol:

Yea, i saw SR at Ozzfest a few years later and it was the same thing. He was spouting off on his political rant and i was like just shut up and sing. :tsk:

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 03:28 PM
:lol:

Yea, i saw SR at Ozzfest a few years later and it was the same thing. He was spouting off on his political rant and i was like just shut up and sing. :tsk:

he had a tendency to do that...but I'd still put him in my top 5 of metal front men

Northman
11-25-2008, 03:30 PM
he had a tendency to do that...but I'd still put him in my top 5 of metal front men

There's no doubt that when Phil is clean and sober he is a excellent frontman. My guess is he is battling a lot of demons and with what happened to Dime he is probably not feeling that much better about how their relationship soured. Classic example of holding onto grudges for too long until those people arent around anymore. Phil and Dime were together for a very long time to not really care about one another.

Dr Velcro
11-25-2008, 03:31 PM
My biggest complaint with the 13 Pantera shows I saw was how Phil would get on his soapbox and rant for half the show...but...he's still an all-time great front man.

If you come across the Superjoint Ritual:Live in Dallas DVD, pick it up. he was sober and the show was amazing...plus there are quite a few shots of Coach moshing. Look for the guy in the pit with the Sabbath t-shirt on.

Which Sabbath shirt do you speak of?

I wore a Justice for All shirt, lol.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Which Sabbath shirt do you speak of?

I wore a Justice for All shirt, lol.

The one I had on in that DVD is black with a picture of the band in a blue haze. Has a cross and Black Sabbath on the back

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 03:41 PM
There's no doubt that when Phil is clean and sober he is a excellent frontman. My guess is he is battling a lot of demons and with what happened to Dime he is probably not feeling that much better about how their relationship soured. Classic example of holding onto grudges for too long until those people arent around anymore. Phil and Dime were together for a very long time to not really care about one another.

That's my issue. What gives Rita and Vinnie the right to speak for Dime when it comes to his issues with Phil and deciding if he would have forgiven him?

The man who kille dDime did it because he blamed Dime for breaking up Pantera. I condone nothing of that sort, but if that was his agenda, he should have targeted Vinnie and Rita

NightTrainLayne
11-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Was Pantera a band or a soap opera?

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Was Pantera a band or a soap opera?

Im bombing Oklahomo tomorrow

BroncoJoe
11-25-2008, 04:25 PM
I don't remember who the guitarist was, but the riff in "Free Bird" was a killer.

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 04:36 PM
I don't remember who the guitarist was, but the riff in "Free Bird" was a killer.

There were three of them...I believe the story goes that a roadie/part time keyboardist wrote the beginning piano and Van Zant heard him playing it one day and turned it into Freebird and then the piano guy became full-time because of it.

Gary Rossington was their lead, if they had one. Allen Collins and Ed King were their other two guitarists.

I have no idea who is playing for them these days.

BroncoJoe
11-25-2008, 04:39 PM
There were three of them...I believe the story goes that a roadie/part time keyboardist wrote the beginning piano and Van Zant heard him playing it one day and turned it into Freebird and then the piano guy became full-time because of it.

Gary Rossington was their lead, if they had one. Allen Collins and Ed King were their other two guitarists.

I have no idea who is playing for them these days.

yeah - I knew it was more than one guy - meant to say "guatarists were".

Foochacho
11-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Alexi Laiho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M62fJsEHQ94&feature=related

Skinny
11-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Yngwie Malmsteen. I was hooked the first time i heard the prelude to Marching Out.

topscribe
11-26-2008, 08:06 PM
I couldn't find a thread with this same title - there was one for the '00's only, so I figured I'd start one.

I may get flamed for this, but I don't care. Lindsey Buckingham is my personal favorite. Anyone that can make one guitar sound like two or more is tops in my book.

Try to listen to the music instead of his singing.

He's pretty good. Thanks for introducing him to me. But you wouldn't
classify his singing as music? :laugh:

I kind of have to go along with Mo on Stevie Ray Vaughan as close to my
favorite in general to watch and listen to. But there are so many whom I
really enjoy.

One of my very favorites is Aussie Tommy Emmanuel:

TX0eTp7SoNU

He has a bunch on You Tube, and this vid may not even be his best.

Others worthy of look-up (all on You Tube) are:

Danny Gatton
Roy Buchanan
Paco de Lucia

Wow, there are so many of them.

My favorite solo? Maybe Seve Vai, "Bad Horsie." You gotta see this:

Xin88wpBWRI

-----

Slick
11-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Good call on Paco Top. He lives about 10 minutes from me. My spanish tutor teaches his kids english. He's a nice guy from the few words I have had with him.

I'm a rock music fan first and foremost, and it's so hard to name one. I'll try to make a short list.

Brian May (Queen)
Kirk Hammett (old metallica, and the new album has some decent stuff)
Alex Lifeson (Rush, some of the solos on Hemispheres and 2112 are excellent)

Right now, I'm really in to the Mars Volta and Ozric Tentacles, but these are bands with more than one guitar player so it's hard to single any one of them out.

Some great names in this thread...Stevie Ray, Slash, Dimebag. I can't argue with any of those choices either.

topscribe
11-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Here's one more from Tommy Emmanuel. It's just a three-minute one. Mo ought
to enjoy this one because it is kinda down the road with SRV's "Rude Mood,"
except it's unplugged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eppz-oP4nYA

(Embedding has been disabled on this one, so I just have to link it.)

-----

CrazyHorse
12-15-2008, 01:35 PM
George Lynch

Broncospsycho77
12-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Hendrix, for one, just for his Star Spangled banner (let the debate ensue...)

And then here's one that I just can't get over... great sound, not my typical genre, the singing is horrid, but the intro is great. As soon as the singing starts in, it's not worth listening to... no idea who the guitarist is though, but it's got a good melodic, not-too-fast-not-too-slow intro. Death metal is never my thing, but that's where the best modern guitarists seem to be flocking.

Between the Buried and Me - "Prequel to the Sequel"
oWNMMuQzm-A

topscribe
12-15-2008, 03:19 PM
WirEJbA14xA&feature=related

That kid is going to be good. :beer:

-----

Den21vsBal19
12-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Good call on Paco Top. He lives about 10 minutes from me. My spanish tutor teaches his kids english. He's a nice guy from the few words I have had with him.

I'm a rock music fan first and foremost, and it's so hard to name one. I'll try to make a short list.

Brian May (Queen)
Kirk Hammett (old metallica, and the new album has some decent stuff)
Alex Lifeson (Rush, some of the solos on Hemispheres and 2112 are excellent)

Right now, I'm really in to the Mars Volta and Ozric Tentacles, but these are bands with more than one guitar player so it's hard to single any one of them out.

Some great names in this thread...Stevie Ray, Slash, Dimebag. I can't argue with any of those choices either.
Having seen Queen & Paul Rodgers last month, I can say that Dr. May still sounds as good as ever :D

What always impressed me with BM was the attention to detail that he put into his work, from the way that he built the Red Special with his old man from bits of scrap, to the way he built solos a note at a time, to the way that he could make the RS sound like an entire orchestra.............incredible..............

Doesn't hurt either that as a backing vocalist he had a greater vocal range than most frontmen, and could write a pretty mean song as well

Hardwired
12-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Joe Satriani. Not only a superb guitar player, but composer as well.

Paul Gilbert plays well, but his music is not as good as Joe's.

Ditto on John Petrucci, but his playing lacks some of the heart of the two above.

topscribe
02-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Jason Becker was a budding legend until ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) rendered
him to where he now can move little more than his eyes.

Here he is doing a rock improv:

4eHVqPLoByg

Here he is playing "Cacophony":

QRhAuy6clLc

And perhaps my favorite by him, "Altitudes":

tRK6NxgPlfo

-----

aberdien
10-13-2023, 03:26 PM
Rolling Stone released their 250 greatest guitarists of all time today.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-guitarists-1234814010/

My favorites to listen to:

Jimi Hendrix
Prince
Keith Richards
J Mascis
Willie Nelson
Kurt Vile
David Gilmour
Albert Hammond Jr.

Hawgdriver
10-13-2023, 06:13 PM
Damn my list went long. I'll give a thoughtful "why" so it's more than just a name-dump.

Jimi - speaks using a guitar the best, Voodoo Chile makes me want to run thru a brick wall.

Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - less is more; dramatic; tasteful; moving; first listen to Comfortably Numb was the closest I've been to being sober but having a psychedelic trip.

Marr (Smiths) - invented a thing; distinctive emo texture; How Soon Is Now was unlike anything else I'd ever heard.

John McGeoch (Siouxsie) - genius; each song new; clever AF. Siouxsie is an art guitar band and one of my favorite musical acts of all time.

Santana - My mom was huge into Santana so it was the soundtrack to my 3, 4, and 5 year old life. I listen to Samba Pa Ti now and it's as fresh as ever.

Metheny - A poet who invents sound-collages and note-sonnets on guitar.

Johnny Winter - Mean Town Blues (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJSEZeNrKNM), and another spontaneous version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpeO4WEyLsM), is an example of why his label thought he'd be the next Hendrix.

Bob Mould - His tone!! Also, he invented a dope alternative guitar texture (see, for example, Copper Blue (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4DJnmD2z7M)). His punk/indie/hardcore stuff with Husker Du was also excellent distinctive noise rock (e.g., Zen Arcade stuff)

Nels Cline - He's all over the place with many bands, but this is one of my favorite guitar solos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XH5Hr1XlM0) of all time. Mainlined serotonin on that one.

Joe Walsh - James Gang and Eagles and solo stuff. Distinctive tone, crunchy, badass, he was a titan of the guitar era.

"Mike McCready and Stone Gossard" (wtf, but ok) - Idk, but I love Pearl Jam and all that grunge shit, so they have to be special.

Dick Dale - Dude invented a thing, that had to shape everyone that came after. He's like the Morello of his era.

Billy Gibbons - Sheer excellence. I'll listen to ZZ any day of the week because of this dude.

John Fogerty - Great tone, plus he did Ramble Tamble.

Knopfler - So eloquent and tasteful. Sublime guitarist. Must be on any such list.

Larry Carlton - Steely Dan yo.

Lifeson - Listen to Red Barchetta and Villa Strangiato...combined the technical mastery of early metal/hard rock with prog and math sensibility, but was utterly musical.

Mick Taylor - Um. Can't You Hear Me Knocking... It says it all.

The Edge - Everyone in the 80s wanted to sound like him once they heard him. All the studio players had to figure out how to copy him.

Greenwood - Too good in the modern era of guitar music to omit.

Clapton - Layla. Dude was like a Knopfler. Just too damned good. I'm actually sort of a low-key Clapton hater, but his shit is just too damned good.

Jack White - Consummate ear for tone.

Frusciante - Genius of composition, carried the McGeoch torch to the mountaintop--the first Beatle of the Chili Peppers if that makes sense. Maybe he just happens to be a guitarist, but whatever. The unspoken reason why the Peppers are more than a fun funk band but are my pick as Greatest American Band. I come back to Under the Bridge (game changer, launched the 90s alt scene on his back along with Navarro and Ferrell)...also his later stuff like Snow (Hey Oh) and The Zephyr Song.

Morello - RATM and Audioslave. He invented a new thing for each song. Ultra tone conscious. Tight AF. Brilliant and tasty.

Duane Allman - I like these 60s/70s slide guitar icons, they move me (Winter and Mick Taylor are the other ones, perhaps Clapton too).

EVH - This is Eddie Van Halen. Hopefully that explains.

Page - Perhaps the most inventive. Always trying new tunings. Incredible musical vision for what the guitar could be. His acoustic stuff, or less distorted stuff, is my fav, and he's way more like a Paul Simon in this mode. Songs like Tangerine, Gallows Pole, Battle of Evermore, Rain Song, Stairway first half, Bron-Y-Aur, Going to CA, Over the Hills and Far Away. But he could tap into that Muddy Waters badassery too. I can't imagine a world without this dude, what a MF titan of music.

*I'm leaving any Beatles guitarist out of this because reasons.

Hawgdriver
10-14-2023, 12:24 AM
So if I had to highlight the actual bangers...

Jimi
Gilmour
Billy Gibbons
Knopfler
Larry Carlton
Lifeson
Jack White
Frusciante
Morello
EVH
Page