PDA

View Full Version : Overrated Bands

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dreadnought
11-25-2008, 11:27 AM
I will confess here that there are a few Bands that I never "got." The rest of the World swears they are geniuses, etc. and I just don't get it. My own "Overrated" list. Please don't pick obscure or blatantly obvious (e.g. ABBA for your list - just stuff that was and is critically acclaimed or had a wide following. Note too that my list kind of dates me :D

The Beatles - yes, I know. heresy. I just don't care if I never hear another Beatles tune the rest of my life.

Bob Dylan - I am at a total loss as to how this guy ever acheived any success at all.

Jimi Hendrix - Merely loud, not great. Dying young was a terrific career move IMO.

Sting - Boring beyond belief

Journey - this band is perhaps my all time least favorite. They are total channel-changers for me. Treacly and awful in every respect.

There are dozens of others, but these stick out for me.

DallasChief
11-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Led Zeppelin

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Sublime

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Dave Matthews Band.

Dreadnought
11-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Dave Matthews Band.

Could not agree more. Utterly boring :salute:

gnomeflinger
11-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Any "boy" band.

gnomeflinger
11-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Dave Matthews Band.

Dave Matthews, however, plays the piano amazingly, and is a decent actor. The whole band, yes, overrated, but I like Dave Matthews as a person.

Rex
11-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Dave Matthews Band.

Period.

Like a paper cut on my ear drums.

Dreadnought
11-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Dave Matthews, however, plays the piano amazingly, and is a decent actor. The whole band, yes, overrated, but I like Dave Matthews as a person.

Being an amazing musician doesn't help if you never do anything interesting. Its why I never warmed to Eric Clapton either. Not saying he isn't talented, but I would never actually go to the effort it takes to put on a Clapton CD.

Buff
11-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Dave Matthews Band for sure... They're easily the most overrated in my book.
Nickelback
The Beatles
John Mayer
Phish
Ludacris (not really a band, but I'm still baffled as to how this guy has such a huge following)

Northman
11-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Cant agree on The Beatles or Journey. And although Sting's solo stuff has much to be desired i do love The Police. But Dylan and Hendrix i can get on board with. For me i find these bands that are overrated.

Evanecence
System of a Down
Slipknot
Grateful Dead

gnomeflinger
11-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Being an amazing musician doesn't help if you never do anything interesting. Its why I never warmed to Eric Clapton either. Not saying he isn't talented, but I would never actually go to the effort it takes to put on a Clapton CD.

Dave Matthews played a brain patient on House. That's the only reason I like Dave Matthews. But I do agree, the band itself isn't all that great.

Dreadnought
Grateful Dead = Sleepy time for Dreadnought

Northman
As for Dave Matthews, i love all his stuff. Just depends on my mood.

NightTrainLayne
11-25-2008, 11:57 AM
WTF!

DMB is the greatest evah!

You guys need to check them out live. :smh:

BTW, I agree with you Dread on the Beatles. . .When I read your first sentence the band that leapt to mind was the Beatles. .and then I was amazed to see you list them as #1. Not to say that they're not good, but definitely over-rated. I also agree with Dylan, Sting and Journey although I don't dislike them. . .they're just over-rated.

Jimi Hendrix though was great. Not over-rated at all. Especially if you listen to all his work. His work is the foundation for a zillion other bands and artists. Without him our music landscape would be much different, and much worse off imo.

Buff
11-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Good call on Sting dread, I missed that... He's another one I can't stand to listen to for even 30 seconds... Probably right behind DMB in terms of overrated artists...

Oh yeah, and Prince... That guy sucks out loud.

Rex
11-25-2008, 12:00 PM
WTF!

DMB is the greatest evah!

You guys need to check them out live. :smh:

BTW, I agree with you Dread on the Beatles. . .When I read your first sentence the band that leapt to mind was the Beatles. .and then I was amazed to see you list them as #1. Not to say that they're not good, but definitely over-rated. I also agree with Dylan, Sting and Journey although I don't dislike them. . .they're just over-rated.

Jimi Hendrix though was great. Not over-rated at all. Especially if you listen to all his work. His work is the foundation for a zillion other bands and artists. Without him our music landscape would be much different, and much worse off imo.

No thanks.

I would rather listen to you give a 4 hour presentation on supply and demand and insurance "risk".

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I'll get on board with the Beatles and Elvis and acts like that, simply because of over-exposure. Does the blowjob they receive from the media make them overrated? I dont know, so I'll stick with over-exposed.

I'm with NTl on Hendrix. His "chart" music is overrated/over-exposed, but if you get into some of his blues stuff and material that didnt get airplay, you'll find some seriously good music.

Dreadnought
11-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Good call on Sting dread, I missed that... He's another one I can't stand to listen to for even 30 seconds... Probably right behind DMB in terms of overrated artists...

Oh yeah, and Prince... That guy sucks out loud.

I think the whole World knows that Prince utterly blows - I count him in the "Not even good enough to take seriously along with ABBA and the BeeGee's" catagory.

NightTrainLayne
11-25-2008, 12:02 PM
No thanks.

I would rather listen to you give a 4 hour presentation on supply and demand and insurance "risk".

Whatever, to each his own. .. I do stipulate however, that DMB is a completely different experience live.

Now. . .on to supply and demand. . . you asked for it. :lol:

Northman
11-25-2008, 12:02 PM
No thanks.

For a minute there i thought you Air Supply and Demand. :lol:

gnomeflinger
11-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Evanescence? Oh my heart just hurt.

Others on my list:

INXS
Van Halen
10,000 Maniacs

Northman
I think the whole World knows that Prince utterly blows - I count him in the "Not even good enough to take seriously along with ABBA and the BeeGee's" catagory.

Your killing me today. :tsk:

Dreadnought
For a minute there i thought you Air Supply and Demand. :lol:

No man should be accused of favoring "Air Supply" - ever. No jury would convict over a related Homicide.

Rex
11-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Whatever, to each his own. .. I do stipulate however, that DMB is a completely different experience live.

Now. . .on to supply and demand. . . you asked for it. :lol:

Oh Dear Lord....just kick me in the taint.

Northman
11-25-2008, 12:04 PM

Others on my list:

INXS
Van Halen
10,000 Maniacs

What!!!!!!! Van Halen? :tsk:

NightTrainLayne
11-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I'll get on board with the Beatles and Elvis and acts like that, simply because of over-exposure. Does the blowjob they receive from the media make them overrated? I dont know, so I'll stick with over-exposed.

I'm with NTl on Hendrix. His "chart" music is overrated/over-exposed, but if you get into some of his blues stuff and material that didnt get airplay, you'll find some seriously good music.

As with a lot of stuff out there, his "most popular" music isn't his best. .. :rolleyes: He is very "under-rated" as a blues musician, and without Hendrix there never would have been a Stevie Ray Vaughn. . .of course you guys probably don't like him either.

Rex
11-25-2008, 12:05 PM

Others on my list:

INXS
Van Halen
10,000 Maniacs

You are huffing paint fumes. All 3 of those bands are good.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:06 PM

Others on my list:

INXS
Van Halen
10,000 Maniacs

Again...are bands like this overrated or over-exposed? I think there is a difference here and we are standing on both sides of a fine line.

gnomeflinger
11-25-2008, 12:06 PM
What!!!!!!! Van Halen? :tsk:

Now we're even. Hmph.

NightTrainLayne
11-25-2008, 12:07 PM

I never pictured you as a Natalie Merchant fan. . .

Dreadnought

I can see it.

gnomeflinger

The point is not being good, just overrated.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:08 PM
These are the days...to remember

gnomeflinger
11-25-2008, 12:08 PM

Natalie Merchant was worse when she went solo.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Natalie Merchant was worse when she went solo.

There was no difference. All of her songs on Tigerlily sounded like they were songs that didnt make it on to a Maniacs record. I cant say she was worse or better because the only thing missing was the band.

Northman
11-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Oh, i forgot Linkin Park. They are terrible.

NightTrainLayne
11-25-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm surprised that someone hasn't picked up the Beatles banner and defended them. ..

gnomeflinger
11-25-2008, 12:13 PM

Oh dear, I may just have to rethink our relationship. :tsk:

Menudo. :lol:

NightTrainLayne
11-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Oh dear, I may just have to rethink our relationship. :tsk:

Menudo. :lol:

Ohh. .. there you go. Ricky Martin.

Rex
11-25-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm surprised that someone hasn't picked up the Beatles banner and defended them. ..

Maybe because they sucked.

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Van Halen without David Lee Roth is over rated. Sammy Hagar is a stiff.

gnomeflinger
11-25-2008, 12:17 PM

Okay fine, I'll bite. The Beatles were one of the greatest bands of all times. Their lamer songs were written by Ringo. There are songs that I absolutely hate and songs that I think are brilliant. I do agree that making movie and crap like that was overdoing it. If they were just left alone as a band, they would be less overrated by some. :D

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:18 PM
The Beatles have some good songs and lasted a long time, but I think their longevity was primarily based on the lack of "competition".

NightTrainLayne
11-25-2008, 12:19 PM

Funny. . .I thought they were much better with Hagar. . .Still over-rated.

gnomeflinger
11-25-2008, 12:20 PM
The Beach Boys

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 12:21 PM
I wanted to stick a fork in my ears when they did "Right Now". Terrible song.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:21 PM

With Roth they were a circus act with a good guitar player. With Hagar, they were a rock and roll band.

NightTrainLayne
11-25-2008, 12:23 PM

Right now. . . forces are aligning against you.

Northman
11-25-2008, 12:23 PM

QFT

Hagar was good but nowhere near the talent of Roth.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:24 PM

Same can be said for Ice Cream Man, Dance the Night Away, Everbody Wants Some and a plethera of older material

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:24 PM
QFT

Hagar was good but nowhere near the talent of Roth.

Two words I never thought I'd see in the same sentence.

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 12:25 PM
With Roth they were a circus act with a good guitar player. With Hagar, they were a rock and roll band.
A shitty rock-n-roll band.

I'll take "Jump" an "Hot for Teacher" over any of their other stuff.

Northman
11-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Two words I never thought I'd see in the same sentence.

:lol:

Rex
11-25-2008, 12:26 PM

Post Never.

Light your computer on fire and punch yourself in the nuts.

idiot.

CoachChaz
A shitty rock-n-roll band.

I'll take "Jump" an "Hot for Teacher" over any of their other stuff.

Hot for Teacher was decent, but Jump was horrible. Any shmuck on a keyboard can play that disaster.

gnomeflinger
The Pussycat Dolls

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Post Never.

Light your computer on fire and punch yourself in the nuts.

idiot.
You have the musical tastes of a five year old on acid. Go huff some more paint.

BroncoJoe
11-25-2008, 12:29 PM
U2

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of their music, but we're talking "most overrated". Bono especially.

BroncoJoe
11-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Interesting list here:

http://www.listology.com/content_show.cfm/content_id.25925/Music

CoachChaz
U2

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of their music, but we're talking "most overrated". Bono especially.

A-friggin-men

Requiem / The Dagda
Overrated in what sense? Purely as musicians or do we incorporate their lyrics into it? I mean. . . Bob Dylan? Seriously? The genius isn't necessarily his guitar playing or his rhapsodic voice -- but the lyrics he has and how he crafted them. Absolutely one of a kind. The guy was inventive, plain and simple. His music was his own and it can never and will never be replicated.

Rex
You have the musical tastes of a five year old on acid. Go huff some more paint.

And you are a retard.

Let me guess, you sitting in your luxury office listening to Dave Matthews squeal like a scalded cat?

Northman
11-25-2008, 12:32 PM
The thing about VH is its sort of like modern day Metallica. You have a group of fans who are divided into what they enjoy most out of the band. There are those who truly live for the original lineup/musical direction (myself included) and then there are those who prefer the latter day material or lineups. I look at VH as a entire body of work and most of the catalog with Roth is top notch aside from one or two albums. Not too mention Roth was a much better performer in the live enviroment. With Hagar, the first two releases with him were outstanding and even For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge had some good moments but the decline began there. So while Hagar was admirable he was nowhere near the talent or ability of Roth when it came to leadmen. The only problem with Roth was he could never keep his head beneath the clouds.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Overrated in what sense? Purely as musicians or do we incorporate their lyrics into it? I mean. . . Bob Dylan? Seriously? The genius isn't necessarily his guitar playing or his rhapsodic voice -- but the lyrics he has and how he crafted them. Absolutely one of a kind. The guy was inventive, plain and simple. His music was his own and it can never and will never be replicated.

Thats because no one puts random words on paper after popping a dozen qualudes anymore

Rex
11-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Interesting list here:

http://www.listology.com/content_show.cfm/content_id.25925/Music

Lame list.

Billy Joel overrated? Pearl Jam #2? Nirvana #1.

I bet he love Dave Matthews too.

Requiem / The Dagda
Thats because no one puts random words on paper after popping a dozen qualudes anymore

Not on paper of course. Message boards. They're the new thing!

CoachChaz
The thing about VH is its sort of like modern day Metallica. You have a group of fans who are divided into what they enjoy most out of the band. There are those who truly live for the original lineup/musical direction (myself included) and then there are those who prefer the latter day material or lineups. I look at VH as a entire body of work and most of the catalog with Roth is top notch aside from one or two albums. Not too mention Roth was a much better performer in the live enviroment. With Hagar, the first two releases with him were outstanding and even For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge had some good moments but the decline began there. So while Hagar was admirable he was nowhere near the talent or ability of Roth when it came to leadmen. The only problem with Roth was he could never keep his head beneath the clouds.

I'm with you all the way up until you say Roth was talented. He was a stage presence, an entertainer and a good voice. If that describes talent, then I guess you got me. But I look at what he did solo compared to what Hagar did solo and there is no contest when it comes to talent or success.

Rex

And then sings with his nose in an unintelligible language.

BigDaddyBronco
And you are a retard.

Let me guess, you sitting in your luxury office listening to Dave Matthews squeal like a scalded cat?
Check post #4 goon.

Rex
11-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Check post #4 goon.

Dont call me names. It is not my fault gas is down 8 cents wholesale again today.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Lame list.

This was by far the most ridiculous thing on that list

25. Black Sabbath – I don’t know, their music just sucks

Northman
11-25-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm with you all the way up until you say Roth was talented. He was a stage presence, an entertainer and a good voice. If that describes talent, then I guess you got me. But I look at what he did solo compared to what Hagar did solo and there is no contest when it comes to talent or success.

Well, i understand your point there. Their Solo careers are much different. I was talking in terms of what they did with the actual band.

Rex

Probably is like my slow whitted buddy who thinks "Garbage" was a great band.

BigDaddyBronco
Dont call me names. It is not my fault gas is down 8 cents wholesale again today.
I don't want to hear any crying when it goes back up to $3.00/gal. I hope you all enjoy your gas holidays. :tsk:

Rex
11-25-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't want to hear any crying when it goes back up to $3.00/gal. I hope you all enjoy your gas holidays. :tsk:

Freakin elitist oil tycoon goon.

Obama is outlawing gasoline. You are going to be giving out handjobs at West Texas A & M with NJ for beer money.

Northman

Sabbath is good but ive never been one to really carry their banner. I always preferred Ozzy's solo stuff anyway so im indifferent if they are on the list.

BigDaddyBronco
How about 90% of punk rock.

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Freakin elitist oil tycoon goon.

Obama is outlawing gasoline. You are going to be giving out handjobs at West Texas A & M with NJ for beer money.
I've got skills, I'll make ethanol.

Rex

Hoe is going to take out his eyebrow ring and stab you with the sharp end.

BroncoJoe
Lame list.

Thus my use of the word "interesting" when describing that list.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Sabbath is good but ive never been one to really carry their banner. I always preferred Ozzy's solo stuff anyway so im indifferent if they are on the list.

But they did pave the way for 90% of the music that me and you listen to, so they have to have their due respect.

BroncoJoe

How about 90% of the music my 14 year old listens to.

Rex
Thus my use of the word "interesting" when describing that list.

Oh.

I am going to make Mrs. BJ a mixed tape.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:41 PM

My GF loves punk rock. Drives me insane

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 12:42 PM

I might, but we're talking about over-rated. When they are labeled the best band ever by most music critics and many fans, its hard not to see that they probably are a little over-rated.

The fact that McCartney and Lennon wrote so many songs together, making them the most prolific artists is one thing, but I can definitely see calling them overrated. There are certainly brilliant songs in there, but that doesn't mean they aren't overrated. I'm sure everyone here who has listed them as over-rated enjoys a lot of their music.

I agree with Elvis. Way over-rated.

I'm not a Van Halen fan, but Eddie is definitely the most talented metal guitarist of all-time. Over-rated? Hard for me to say.

Not buying Hendrix. He was brilliant. Too bad he did so many drugs. Lyrically, Dylan puts them all to shame, I don't care how many drugs he was popping. Musically, comparatively, he wasn't very good at all.

Maybe this shouldn't even enter into consideration, but bands like Nickelback (already mentioned), Creed, faux metal bands are definitely over-rated.

BroncoJoe
Oh.

I am going to make Mrs. BJ a mixed tape.

Can you make it on a CD?

tia.

MOtorboat

No. That's not over-rated. It just sucks.

CoachChaz

Depends. My son is a metal head, so I'm on board with him. Only thing I like that he doesnt is country

Rex
11-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Can you make it on a CD?

tia.

I am going to put 240 sexy songs on an Ipod shuffle and Fed Ex it to her.

Color Me Badd, Bel Biv Devoe, Bobby Brown...goood ole' 80s R and B groove.

Lots of Barry White.

Northman
11-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Only thing I like that he doesnt is country

Ouch.

frauschieze
11-25-2008, 12:45 PM

Waaaay over processed in the studio. HORRENDOUS live. No talent in that band.

Black Sabbath in this thread at all is blasphemy.

Probably is like my slow whitted buddy who thinks "Garbage" was a great band.

Maybe but Shirley Manson is HOT! :drool:

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Ouch.

There are some very talented musicians over there. Many more so than in a lot of pop music now-a-days.

Keith Urban and Brad Paisley are kind of pretty boys, but they write good songs and can really play.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Ouch.

Yeah, I can listen to anything, but the root of my soul is metal. I grew with my dad playing Sabbath, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Deep Purple, etc. He was also into Motown, so I picked up on that as well.

My mom played the hell out of country, as did my grandparents, so that was a big influence as well.

Northman
11-25-2008, 12:47 PM
There are some very talented musicians over there. Many more so than in a lot of pop music now-a-days.

Keith Urban and Brad Paisley are kind of pretty boys, but they write good songs and can really play.

For me its not whether or not their talented. I just cant stand that type of music. There has always been this stigma that metal music makes one want to off himself. I feel that way about country music. :lol:

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:47 PM

They can wail. But the best player on the country side is Vince Gill. That dude can outdo most rockers and blues artists when it comes to playing guitar

Rex
11-25-2008, 12:48 PM
They can wail. But the best player on the country side is Vince Gill. That dude can outdo most rockers and blues artists when it comes to playing guitar

Vince Gill is a very good musician.

Keith Urban is damn good too.

Northman
Yeah, I can listen to anything, but the root of my soul is metal. I grew with my dad playing Sabbath, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Deep Purple, etc. He was also into Motown, so I picked up on that as well.

My mom played the hell out of country, as did my grandparents, so that was a big influence as well.

Well, i do like some blues no doubt. But for some reason country never clicked with me. Except for two songs. Devil went down to Georgia and Juice Newton's Playing with the Queen of Hearts. Outside of that forget it. :D

MOtorboat

I know. I always forget he does play, because whenever he shows up at awards shows or whatever, he's never playing, just singing.

Same goes for Prince, actually...he's such an unbelievable guitar player, but he went this weird pop route, that you'd never know it.

CoachChaz
For me its not whether or not their talented. I just cant stand that type of music. There has always been this stigma that metal music makes one want to off himself. I feel that way about country music. :lol:

Give me a beer and a recliner after a hard week and I'm listening to country. Getting ready for a sport or driving...it's all metal. Just depends on my mood.

frauschieze
11-25-2008, 12:50 PM

The music that makes me want to die is punk. I don't know why but it makes me jumpy, nervous and agitated. Metal and industrial soothes my soul.

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Nirvana is way over-rated. He did write some good stuff, and imo, Unplugged was their shining moment, clearly, but they were basically a right-time, right-place, right attitude band.

The real talent in Seattle was with Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. (Although Chris Cornell's work without Kim Thayil, has really been lacking - not Audioslave, solo stuff).

Northman
11-25-2008, 12:52 PM
The music that makes me want to die is punk. I don't know why but it makes me jumpy, nervous and agitated. Metal and industrial soothes my soul.

Im not a huge punk fan either. Although i do enjoy some Sex Pistols and Ramones. Speaking of which though, the Ramones are probably pretty overrated in their own right. :lol:

frauschieze
11-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Overrated: Audioslave

Northman
11-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Nirvana is way over-rated. He did write some good stuff, and imo, Unplugged was their shining moment, clearly, but they were basically a right-time, right-place, right attitude band.

The real talent in Seattle was with Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. (Although Chris Cornell's work without Kim Thayil, has really been lacking - not Audioslave, solo stuff).

Pearl Jam is debateable for me. Ten was an excellent record but after that it was pretty much bleh for me when it comes to them. Soundgarden and AIC however are totally awesome in their own right.

frauschieze
Speaking of which though, the Ramones are probably pretty overrated in their own right. :lol:

Yeah, I gotta agree with that. A band than never covered songs because they couldn't figure out how to play them? Musical talent was severely lacking in that band. :D

Northman

I second that.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 12:54 PM

No...just Chris Cornell

Thnikkaman
11-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Ok, made it through 7 pages.

I have to defend Prince since he made one really stupid mistake in his career which was signing a 10 year contract to produce an album for each year of that contract. He ended up spewing a bunch of crap.

As for Sublime, don't blaspheme. Sure they had a couple of hits that were really overplayed on the radio, but nothing encapsulates that white trash beach bum sound that they do.

As for bands that are truely overrated that I haven't seen on here:

Rolling Stones post 1985
Green Day
Madonna
Kanye West (Yes I like some of his stuff, but he rides the corporate dick train)
KRS 1 -- He did some revolutionary stuff early in his carreer, but I think he managed to brainwash himself with his politics

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Pearl Jam is debateable for me. Ten was an excellent record but after that it was pretty much bleh for me when it comes to them. Soundgarden and AIC however are totally awesome in their own right.
Ten was an awesome record, but like you said, everything else is meh.

Soungarden is my favorite from Seattle. AIC Dirt is great, but it is like watching someone OD on heroin.

Northman
11-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Ok, made it through 7 pages.

I have to defend Prince since he made one really stupid mistake in his career which was signing a 10 year contract to produce an album for each year of that contract. He ended up spewing a bunch of crap.

As for Sublime, don't blaspheme. Sure they had a couple of hits that were really overplayed on the radio, but nothing encapsulates that white trash beach bum sound that they do.

As for bands that are truely overrated that I haven't seen on here:

Rolling Stones post 1985
Green Day
Madonna
Kanye West (Yes I like some of his stuff, but he rides the corporate dick train)
KRS 1 -- He did some revolutionary stuff early in his carreer, but I think he managed to brainwash himself with his politics

Pretty much agree although i do love Madonna's Ray of Light album. But thats about the extent of it. :lol:

frauschieze
11-25-2008, 12:59 PM
No...just Chris Cornell

I disagree. Tom Morello is one of my all time favorite guitarists. Incredibly talented and used his axe in unique ways in Rage Against the Machine, and the rest of that band was solid too. The music they put out with Audioslave was an empty shell of their capabilities. That band was a huge disappointment for me, as I am a fan of both Rage and Soundgarden. I was hoping Cornell could do something better after his solo career flopped. But he just sucks outside of Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog.

BroncoJoe
11-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Didn't we a have "greatest guitar player" thread on here or was it at the freak?

Someone should start one. You'd be surprised who I'd pick.

Northman
11-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Didn't we a have "greatest guitar player" thread on here or was it at the freak?

Someone should start one. You'd be surprised who I'd pick.

I think there is one.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Don't think Tom M. is an inventive or good guitarist at all. Used too, but then I broke down the music. Anybody with average skills and thousands of dollars worth of pedals could do what he did and still does. Not impressed.

Rex
11-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Ten was an awesome record, but like you said, everything else is meh.

Soungarden is my favorite from Seattle. AIC Dirt is great, but it is like watching someone OD on heroin.

See, we can be friends. But Vs. was solid too.

Dreadnought
11-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Catching up - noticed Green Day made someone's list - Hear, Hear. I'll change the channel for those chumps too.

Bob Dylans flat out sucks. he was, is, and will remain unlistenable. I swear to God he gets listed as a genius because everyone else lists him as a genius. That Emporer is wearing no clothes.

U2 - pre Joshua Tree maybe in my top 5 bands of all time. I can listen to "Boy" or "October" anytime and simply repeat. Then Bono became a self styled much beloved World Statesman and the Band became less and less interesting the more seriously Bono took himself. U2 albums get released, but I no longer notice them

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Get out of here Dread. Speaking against Bob Dylan is blasphemy. You're a jerk!

Dreadnought
11-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Get out of here Dread. Speaking against Bob Dylan is blasphemy. You're a jerk!

Bite me. You understand musicians like you do back up Tight Ends - as in not much. Bob Dylan blows.

Thnikkaman
11-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Jurassic 5

Cut Chemist carried that group. Their albums starting with Power in Numbers (When Chemist Left) have been total crap.

Jay Z - I cannot find a bigger biter in hip-hop/rap. The examples are blatent. I am willing to bet everything he spits is ghostwritten or stolen.

frauschieze
Don't think Tom M. is an inventive or good guitarist at all. Used too, but then I broke down the music. Anybody with average skills and thousands of dollars worth of pedals could do what he did and still does. Not impressed.

That's funny because my best friend who is a guitarist and actually went to a prestigious sound recording school thought the same until we went to a Rage cover band show for shits and giggles (I can't remember their name but they were DAMN good). He was intrigued enough to check into a couple of the Rage DVDs and came away with a completely different opinion. Maybe average skills and fancy pedals can recreate his sound but apparently, not in the way he does it.

Requiem / The Dagda
Bite me. You understand musicians like you do back up Tight Ends - as in not much. Bob Dylan blows.

Hey Mr. Moderator, play a song for me. I'm gettin' sleepy and your voice is gettin' douchey too! Hey Mr. Moderator, play a song for me -- in the jingle jangle mornin' I'll be reeeeeeeeeeeportin' you.

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 01:17 PM
That's funny because my best friend who is a guitarist and actually went to a prestigious sound recording school thought the same until we went to a Rage cover band show for shits and giggles (I can't remember their name but they were DAMN good). He was intrigued enough to check into a couple of the Rage DVDs and came away with a completely different opinion. Maybe average skills and fancy pedals can recreate his sound but apparently, not in the way he does it.

Morello is classically trained and can absolutely shred...he chose to go a different and fairly innovative way to his own music. Definitely not over-rated in my book.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 01:18 PM

The way he uses pedals and the methodology regarding the playing for Tom is unique, but IMHO -- it's nothing special. Last night I went to my friends' bands practice (they have a space in an old abortion clinic, it's nuts) and I got to jam with them a bit -- and I couldn't help but notice how much the pedals (over 5,000 dollars in them easy) helped out how I sounded.

I'm not trying to dog Tom, he's good at what he does -- but when people consider him top ten or in that regard -- I have to just to put my foot down.

studbucket
11-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Radiohead - It's not that they are a bad band, but every freaking album is praised like they are the best album ever, but they aren't even close.

Aerosmith - Again, they have stuff I like, but I feel they still get way too much press and pub for the last 20 years of horrible music they have released.

Regarding Pearl Jam, I like the band, it's in my top 5 or 10 all-time, and some people here loathe them, others worship them. My take is they are a little over-and-under-rated. Among middle-aged men (let's say 30-45), they are undeservedly worshipped as the gods of the rock scene and all other bands shall bow at their feet. Among people of my age (22) and younger, I feel they are under-appreciated and very few check out their new stuff or will listen to Ten or Vs, etc. So I would consider them over-rated in a conditional manner, as it depends on the demographic you are speaking of.

BroncoJoe's list a few pages back: I liked it. Not that the bands were bad, but they are way overpraised. I feel like for the most part many people have correctly identified over-rated bands; though a few of you are touchy and not realizing we are talking about over-rated here, not bad.

Thnikkaman
11-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Radiohead - It's not that they are a bad band, but every freaking album is praised like they are the best album ever, but they aren't even close.

Aerosmith - Again, they have stuff I like, but I feel they still get way too much press and pub for the last 20 years of horrible music they have released.

Regarding Pearl Jam, I like the band, it's in my top 5 or 10 all-time, and some people here loathe them, others worship them. My take is they are a little over-and-under-rated. Among middle-aged men (let's say 30-45), they are undeservedly worshipped as the gods of the rock scene and all other bands shall bow at their feet. Among people of my age (22) and younger, I feel they are under-appreciated and very few check out their new stuff or will listen to Ten or Vs, etc. So I would consider them over-rated in a conditional manner, as it depends on the demographic you are speaking of.

BroncoJoe's list a few pages back: I liked it. Not that the bands were bad, but they are way overpraised. I feel like for the most part many people have correctly identified over-rated bands; though a few of you are touchy and not realizing we are talking about over-rated here, not bad.

That is on point.

I wanted to say Radiohead, but was not quite ready to commit to that one.

As far as Pearl Jam goes. They had a couple of good songs, but for me, when I listened to Ten for the first time, it seemed like all of the songs ran into eachother. Just like the run-on sentence I just wrote.

Northman
11-25-2008, 01:22 PM
The way he uses pedals and the methodology regarding the playing for Tom is unique, but IMHO -- it's nothing special. Last night I went to my friends' bands practice (they have a space in an old abortion clinic, it's nuts) and I got to jam with them a bit -- and I couldn't help but notice how much the pedals (over 5,000 dollars in them easy) helped out how I sounded.

I'm not trying to dog Tom, he's good at what he does -- but when people consider him top ten or in that regard -- I have to just to put my foot down.

Yea, im not that enamored with Morello either. But im not that enamored with Dylan so what are we left with? :lol:

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 01:26 PM
That is on point.

I wanted to say Radiohead, but was not quite ready to commit to that one.

As far as Pearl Jam goes. They had a couple of good songs, but for me, when I listened to Ten for the first time, it seemed like all of the songs ran into eachother. Just like the run-on sentence I just wrote.

I do NOT get the Radiohead hype, or following...

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 01:27 PM
I like Morello, but I could easily put 10 or more guys ahead of him...guys that are alive at that.

frauschieze
11-25-2008, 01:28 PM
I like Morello, but I could easily put 10 or more guys ahead of him...guys that are alive at that.

He's just one of my all time favs. I'll agree that there are many other guitarists that have more talent, but it doesn't mean I like them more. :D

turftoad
11-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Led Zeppelin

And Pink Floyd.

I feel the same about both of these bands. OVER RATED.

I do like Journeys and VH's older stuff. First couple of albums. After that, not so much.

To me, it's all about what mood you're in for music. It just seems to me that to enjoy Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd you'd have to be really stoned and laying around like a vegetable.

Myself, like Coach am an old classic rock guy. I can listen to country and most anything except Punk Rock, hip hop and rap.
To me, Rap is not music at all.

Thnikkaman
11-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Nas -- Once again, first album was excellent. After that, I think he started doing too much yayo.

Thnikkaman
11-25-2008, 01:30 PM
And Pink Floyd.

I do like Journeys and VH's older stuff. First couple of albums. After that, not so much.

To me, it's all about what mood you're in for music. Myself, like Coach am an old classic rock guy. I can listen to country and most anything except Punk Rock and rap.

So how do you feel about Jazz?

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 01:32 PM

Jazz music is outstanding.

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Radiohead is fantastic. A band that is as musically diverse as they are and still thrives monetarily is a sign that they are not over-rated.

But that's just my take. :D

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
I'll take Blues over Jazz any day

studbucket
Myself, like Coach am an old classic rock guy. I can listen to country and most anything except Punk Rock and rap.

Ever heard of Girl Talk? Most likely you will find his stuff an atrocity, but I have heard that some middle-aged and older people who abhorred rap found a slight understanding for it after they listened to Drama rapping over Roy Orbison, The Game over Better Than Ezra, or Salt 'N Pepa over Nirvana.

Now, Thnikka would tell you those hip-hop artists aren't even the good ones, and I would agree, but it's a start. You may not enjoy the beats or the stereotypical lyrics, but when you put a good rap, with good lyrics, to a beat you enjoy, that's hard to beat.

Northman

I do like both but i agree with Coach that i favor Blues more.

Thnikkaman
11-25-2008, 01:36 PM
I can totally understand how some people can't stand Rap or Hip-Hop. The same way I can't stand Country and about 70 percent of heavy metal. That music just has no soul, but I won't deny that it is music.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 01:37 PM
I do like both but i agree with Coach that i favor Blues more.

Deciding between Muddy Waters and Miles Davis really isnt a decision at all for me

studbucket
Radiohead is fantastic. A band that is as musically diverse as they are and still thrives monetarily is a sign that they are not over-rated.

But that's just my take. :D

Explain to me their diversity, I am actually interested.

I have heard songs off of every album, and probably have copies of 10-15 songs. Whether I am listening to Fake Plastic Trees, Creep, Paranoid Android or I Might Be Wrong, it all kind of sounds like melancholy, low-key rock music. I will give them creativity, but I don't see the diversity, sorry.

turftoad

I like the Blues over Jazz also.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 01:38 PM
I can totally understand how some people can't stand Rap or Hip-Hop. The same way I can't stand Country and about 70 percent of heavy metal. That music just has no soul, but I won't deny that it is music.

Metal has no soul?

shank
11-25-2008, 01:39 PM
any band that frau likes shouldn't be liked by anyone.

:D

turftoad
Ever heard of Girl Talk? Most likely you will find his stuff an atrocity, but I have heard that some middle-aged and older people who abhorred rap found a slight understanding for it after they listened to Drama rapping over Roy Orbison, The Game over Better Than Ezra, or Salt 'N Pepa over Nirvana.

Now, Thnikka would tell you those hip-hop artists aren't even the good ones, and I would agree, but it's a start. You may not enjoy the beats or the stereotypical lyrics, but when you put a good rap, with good lyrics, to a beat you enjoy, that's hard to beat.

IMO, there is no such thing as good rap.

studbucket
Metal has no soul?

It really depends what kind of metal you are speaking of.

My generation doesn't count Led Zeppelin or Van Halen as metal, those are classic rock, and I can see the soul there.

When I think of metal, I think of Avenged Sevenfold, Killswitch Engage, and others. My brother-in-law listens to it, I have learned to see it's value as music, but I often find those bands contain songs with something that is akin to the antithesis of 'soul'.

Thnikkaman
11-25-2008, 01:40 PM
I think Jazz and Blues are the splitting point of American Music. Rock, Heavy Metal, Country, Alternitive, Punk, Ska, etc... all evolved from blues. Where Funk, R&B, Hip-Hop and Rap all evolved form Jazz.

So I guess its just natural to not enjoy Hip-Hop if you don't like Jazz.

Northman
11-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Metal has no soul?

Probably not, just a lot of anger. :lol:

Northman
11-25-2008, 01:42 PM

My generation doesn't count Led Zeppelin or Van Halen as metal, those are classic rock, and I can see the soul there.

When I think of metal, I think of Avenged Sevenfold, Killswitch Engage, and others. My brother-in-law listens to it, I have learned to see it's value as music, but I often find those bands contain songs with something that is akin to the antithesis of 'soul'.

I dont listen to a lot of the stuff you listed there as it is more mainstream stuff but there are quite a few metal bands with soul. But i know what your getting at so im not holding it against ya. :D

Thnikkaman
11-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Metal has no soul?

Not in the same way Marvin Gaye's music has soul. If it has soul, its not apparent to me.

Edit:

I also agree with what Studbucket is saying as well. I would love to hear some Metal that is considered to have soul. If you are telling me Deep Purple or something to the likes of that, I am not really categorizing that as Metal.

Dreadnought
11-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Jazz music is outstanding.

Jazz = Sleepy time for Dreadnought

I can't believe I forgot Bruce Springsteen. He has a wretched voice, and his faux working class pose got old really fast. Ditto Bob Seger.

I am a huge Led Zeppelin fan, so I can't concur with Turf and DC on that one

Someone mentioned Ozzy - I like a lot of old Black Sabbath, and love almost all of "Paranoid," but his solo stuff bored me to tears.

Northman
11-25-2008, 01:44 PM
but his solo stuff bored me to tears.

And Ozzy just showed up at your door to bite your head off. Blasphemy!! :lol:

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 01:44 PM

Zeppelin, Van Halen, etc. is considered classic rock TODAY. But there was a day when this music was new and not "classic". The term "Heavy Metal" wasnt really a popular term until the British phase of metal acts hit the scene (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc.) By this time, the "classic" bands were at the end of their careers, but make no mistake. LZ, Sabbath, Deep Puple, etc. were definately the Heavy Metal acts of their time

frauschieze
11-25-2008, 01:45 PM

Just a classification note, but Led Zeppelin is NOT metal. They are entirely too diverse and use their folk influences much more than any other 'metal' band does for that time period. They really defy classification altogether.

And I don't understand why you can think that Avenged Sevenfold has no soul. Killswitch I can kind of understand. I don't know. Maybe it's just a difference in taste of music.

studbucket
11-25-2008, 01:47 PM
And I don't understand why you can think that Avenged Sevenfold has no soul. Killswitch I can kind of understand. I don't know. Maybe it's just a difference in taste of music.

Sure Avenged I can see, I was throwing out bands that everyone might recognize. Of course, A7X's stuff has mellowed out some recently, and their leader singer has always had a decent voice. I suppose I am thinking more of Sons of Bodom, Lamb of God, etc.

Northman
11-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Zeppelin, Van Halen, etc. is considered classic rock TODAY. But there was a day when this music was new and not "classic". The term "Heavy Metal" wasnt really a popular term until the British phase of metal acts hit the scene (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc.) By this time, the "classic" bands were at the end of their careers, but make no mistake. LZ, Sabbath, Deep Puple, etc. were definately the Heavy Metal acts of their time

Definitely. Even the hair rock bands got lumped into the heavy metal genre (even today they are all considered sub-genres of the HM culture) during the 80's.

frauschieze
11-25-2008, 01:48 PM
I can't believe I forgot this......

Rod Stewart. Not a band, but his voice is horrendous and I would rather die than listen to a second of any of his songs.

Northman
11-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Just a classification note, but Led Zeppelin is NOT metal. They are entirely too diverse and use their folk influences much more than any other 'metal' band does for that time period. They really defy classification altogether.

Believe it or not there are quite of few Folk metal bands around with even some black metal bands using folk influence in their music today. Although i still consider LZ to be a classic rock band they still belong in the sub culture of heavy metal based on their influence to the scene.

Northman
11-25-2008, 01:49 PM
I can't believe I forgot this......

Rod Stewart. Not a band, but his voice is horrendous and I would rather die than listen to a second of any of his songs.

Oh come on, who can not jam out to Do You Think Im Sexy? :lol:

frauschieze
11-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Sure Avenged I can see, I was throwing out bands that everyone might recognize. Of course, A7X's stuff has mellowed out some recently, and their leader singer has always had a decent voice. I suppose I am thinking more of Sons of Bodom, Lamb of God, etc.

I have one of A7X's first albums and unless they got a new singer before they got popular, the guy was flat out TERRIBLE then. It's awful stuff. :laugh: It's a shame because the music is still solid and the lyrics are good too. But man, the vocals are just grating.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Heavy Metal is a direct result of blues/rock/folk heritage. To say a band that is diverse with folk roots cannot be metal completely defeats the definition

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 01:53 PM

That song sucks, but I do enjoy Maggie May.

frauschieze
11-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Believe it or not there are quite of few Folk metal bands around with even some black metal bands using folk influence in their music today. Although i still consider LZ to be a classic rock band they still belong in the sub culture of heavy metal based on their influence to the scene.

I can buy that, but I just have a hard time comparing them to Judas Priest, Deep Purple, Sabbath, and the other British heavy metal bands. And they don't fit in with the American metal at that time either (Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, KISS, etc.)

Me. I cannot STAND it.

frauschieze
11-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Heavy Metal is a direct result of blues/rock/folk heritage. To say a band that is diverse with folk roots cannot be metal completely defeats the definition

Heavy metal has more classical roots than folk. Blues and hard rock yes. Folk? Not so much.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Heavy metal has more classical roots than folk. Blues and hard rock yes. Folk? Not so much.

Perhaps not so much today, but the evolution of metal definately had the songwriting influences of folk music.

Example...I wont compare Pantera to Joan Baez, but during a recent tribute to Heart, Phil Anselmo listed Dog and Butterfly as his favorite Heart song. So, yes, I believe metal acts can be influenced by the folk/acoustic sound

Thnikkaman
11-25-2008, 01:59 PM
I am a total music nerd, but have not learned much about Metal since I have been really closed minded to it. I can get into some of it. I have always liked Def Leopard, but they have always seemed like Metal "Lite" to me. I really like "Sweating Bullets" by Megadeth, and some Pantera. But not enough that I would buy their music.

What I am trying to say is that I am appreciating a little of this knowledge you guys are dropping. I will have to check some of this out when I can remember to. Its more likely that I will enjoy it than anything Little Wayne, or half the groups Dream tries to get me into.

:focus:

Back on topic, but Metallica deserves to be on this list.

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Explain to me their diversity, I am actually interested.

I have heard songs off of every album, and probably have copies of 10-15 songs. Whether I am listening to Fake Plastic Trees, Creep, Paranoid Android or I Might Be Wrong, it all kind of sounds like melancholy, low-key rock music. I will give them creativity, but I don't see the diversity, sorry.

The first three albums were good examples of BritPop Rock (whatever you want to call it) with much more musical talent than you would see out of an Oasis or Blur. Then they did a 180 and introduced Kid A and Amnesiac and took out much of the guitar while adding elements of trip-hop, electronica, jazz, and added weird instruments like the ondes Martenot. It was very different musically than their first three albums, but very good.

Then they came back with Hail to the Thief which was mixed form from all of their previous albums and In Rainbows they toned down a lot and made a more accessible album to the mainstream.

Their recent music hasn't had the manufactured "radio hits" so you almost have to listen to the entire album to get a feel for what they are trying to do.

Just my take, and I may be full of it, but I love Radiohead.

Rex
11-25-2008, 02:01 PM

Saying Aerosmith sucks makes you dead to me.

Davii
11-25-2008, 02:05 PM
How about an entire genre?

Rap

Northman
11-25-2008, 02:07 PM
I am a total music nerd, but have not learned much about Metal since I have been really closed minded to it. I can get into some of it. I have always liked Def Leopard, but they have always seemed like Metal "Lite" to me. I really like "Sweating Bullets" by Megadeth, and some Pantera. But not enough that I would buy their music.

What I am trying to say is that I am appreciating a little of this knowledge you guys are dropping. I will have to check some of this out when I can remember to. Its more likely that I will enjoy it than anything Little Wayne, or half the groups Dream tries to get me into.

:focus:

Back on topic, but Metallica deserves to be on this list.

I should send you some music sometime. I wouldnt blow your ears out with stuff i know you wouldnt dig but i have a lot of stuff you probably could appreciate and get into. :D

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 02:09 PM
I should send you some music sometime. I wouldnt blow your ears out with stuff i know you wouldnt dig but i have a lot of stuff you probably could appreciate and get into. :D

Start him off with some Prog metal. Dream Theater, Blind Guardian...stuff like that

Northman
11-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Start him off with some Prog metal. Dream Theater, Blind Guardian...stuff like that

Definitely.

Thnikkaman
11-25-2008, 02:14 PM

I am always down for that. Since I have started playing Rock Band and Guitar Hero, I have grown a greater appreciation to songs that I have previously scoffed.

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Thnikka, make it a two way street. You'll listen to their metal, but they need to listen to some of your hip-hop. It would do all involved some good.

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Thnikka, make it a two way street. You'll listen to their metal, but they need to listen to some of your hip-hop. It would do all involved some good.

Does that mean me and Buff can get you to listen to some hippie stuff?

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 02:22 PM

God, as long as it isn't Phish or Greatful Dead I'll be down. :laugh:

Actually, I listen to almost anything. Not big on country though (other than Johnny Cash and some other classic country), just never listened to much of it growing up so I don't have an ear for it, so to speak.

Northman
11-25-2008, 02:25 PM

Im ok in that regard. No need to share. I grew up listening to some rap like Ice-T, Cube, Easy-E, and Snoop. But for the long run i just cant tolerate it enough. I listen to Insane Clown Posse but mainly for laughs.

What about the alternative artist Beck? I actually like this guy but do people feel he is overrated?

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Im ok in that regard. No need to share. I grew up listening to some rap like Ice-T, Cube, Easy-E, and Snoop. But for the long run i just cant tolerate it enough. I listen to Insane Clown Posse but mainly for laughs.

What about the alternative artist Beck? I actually like this guy but do people feel he is overrated?
I don't think he is overrated, but some of his stuff is more mainstream and I think that makes people wonder why it all isn't well known.

There is some very good alternative hip-hop like A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, The Fugees, etc. that are easier for non-rap people to like as it's not thuggery and bling.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 02:32 PM
I can listen to hip-hop as BDB listed. Add someone like maybe Nas and Mos Def. That is the definition of Hip Hop and I'm okay with that.

but this Lil Wayne and his gang of merry thugs that rule the black airwaves...that crap can all hit the trash can as far as I'm concerned.

Northman
11-25-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't think he is overrated, but some of his stuff is more mainstream and I think that makes people wonder why it all isn't well known.

There is some very good alternative hip-hop like A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, The Fugees, etc. that are easier for non-rap people to like as it's not thuggery and bling.

I remember listening to a little Tribe in the early 90's. There are certain songs here and there i like, one from a band i cant remember but the song is called Mrs. Jackson. Oh, and who can foget 2 Live Crew? lol

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 02:35 PM
I remember listening to a little Tribe in the early 90's. There are certain songs here and there i like, one from a band i cant remember but the song is called Mrs. Jackson. Oh, and who can foget 2 Live Crew? lol

Yeah...stuff like that I can get into. Party rap or whatever label it can be given. it has its place and I can listen to it here and there...but again...this straight gangster garbage cna stay in the hood for all I care

Thnikkaman

Mrs. Jackson was by Outcast before Andre 3000 and the other guy parted ways. Greate move for Andre since he is actually pretty musically diverse.

Beck is a little overrated in my book. I really enjoy some of his stuff, but he is popular for being unique, not good.

studbucket
Saying Aerosmith sucks makes you dead to me.

I figured you didn't notice me anyway, so now it has just been confirmed I am dead to you.

Also come on, I admitted I like some of their stuff, and simply placed them in the over-rated category. If you want to talk about sucking, we can start a thread on Nickelback.

Buff
11-25-2008, 02:42 PM

You can have both of them...

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 02:43 PM
You can have both of them...

:confused:

DallasChief
11-25-2008, 02:43 PM
I love Blues.

Dreadnought
11-25-2008, 02:46 PM

I find myself liking a lot of Beck stuff, and I don't know why. Kind of like White Stripes; some of it is almost insanely catchey.

Davii
11-25-2008, 02:47 PM
I hate to say it because some of their earlier albums were VERY good...

But... Metallica. They have been terrible for a very very long time now.

Buff
11-25-2008, 02:48 PM

Whoa Mo--I've learned to take the hippy shit in stride-- but I have to draw the line somewhere... I will not be associated with hippy music. You can take your widespread panic and leftover salmon and have your own listening party. I will not subject BDB to that stuff willingly.

CoachChaz
11-25-2008, 02:48 PM
I hate to say it because some of their earlier albums were VERY good...

But... Metallica. They have been terrible for a very very long time now.

The new CD is pretty good (compared to the previosu 4), but overall...yeah...stick a fork in them

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Whoa Mo--I've learned to take the hippy shit in stride-- but I have to draw the line somewhere... I will not be associated with hippy music. You can take your widespread panic and leftover salmon and have your own listening party. I will not subject BDB to that stuff willingly.
Yea, your just into free love, lots of hair, and pot smoking. :D

Dreadnought
11-25-2008, 02:49 PM

I can see Buff is pissed, and rightfully so. I hope he doesn't quit the board in anger to follow Umphrey's McGee around the country now.

BigDaddyBronco
11-25-2008, 02:51 PM
The new CD is pretty good (compared to the previosu 4), but overall...yeah...stick a fork in them
Lars was swallowed by his own ego some time back.

When I watched Some Kind of Monster I kept thinking that they all needed a good ass kicking.

NightTrainLayne
11-25-2008, 02:55 PM

When I watched Some Kind of Monster I kept thinking that they all needed a good ass kicking.

I'll never forgive them for taking down Napster. :tsk:

Those dummies used to brag that they would never sell out. .. bragged about not making music videos. .. then they made like three for "One", went totally corporate, and then shut down Napster. :tsk:

Rex
11-25-2008, 02:56 PM
I'll never forgive them for taking down Napster. :tsk:

Those dummies used to brag that they would never sell out. .. bragged about not making music videos. .. then they made like three for "One", went totally corporate, and then shut down Napster. :tsk:

Haha

Remember when Pearl Jam tried to take down Ticket Master?

FAIL!

Northman
11-25-2008, 03:00 PM
I find myself liking a lot of Beck stuff, and I don't know why. Kind of like White Stripes; some of it is almost insanely catchey.

Mellow Gold is just awesome. Even to this day i cant stop listening to it.

Northman
11-25-2008, 03:01 PM

Actually, he just needs a girlfriend more his size. Isnt MO still available?

Buff
11-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Yea, your just into free love, lots of hair, and pot smoking. :D

I like to call it sex, drugs and rock and roll... But I suppose that works too.

KCL
11-25-2008, 04:21 PM
I will confess here that there are a few Bands that I never "got." The rest of the World swears they are geniuses, etc. and I just don't get it. My own "Overrated" list. Please don't pick obscure or blatantly obvious (e.g. ABBA for your list - just stuff that was and is critically acclaimed or had a wide following. Note too that my list kind of dates me :D

The Beatles - yes, I know. heresy. I just don't care if I never hear another Beatles tune the rest of my life.

Bob Dylan - I am at a total loss as to how this guy ever acheived any success at all.

Jimi Hendrix - Merely loud, not great. Dying young was a terrific career move IMO.

Sting - Boring beyond belief

Journey - this band is perhaps my all time least favorite. They are total channel-changers for me. Treacly and awful in every respect.

There are dozens of others, but these stick out for me.

The Beatles...WTH...Here is one of my favorite tunes by them.

_Xl8YtgDAKc

slim
11-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Bruce Springsteen

BroncoJoe
11-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Bruce Springsteen

Post never.

slim
11-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Post never.

Springsteen sucks ass.

Rex
11-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Springsteen sucks ass.

Megadouche.

Slim. Not Springsteen.

BroncoJoe
11-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Springsteen sucks ass.

Your only taste is in food, evidentally.

slim
11-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Megadouche.

Slim. Not Springsteen.

How's your lover today? I haven't seen her around.

Rex
11-25-2008, 05:10 PM

Banned. 7 days.

You are next Douchemaster.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Lil Wayne is not a loser.

NameUsedBefore
11-25-2008, 05:40 PM
All the music you love.

frauschieze
11-25-2008, 05:42 PM
any band that frau likes shouldn't be liked by anyone.

:D

I forgot to tell you earlier:

That will probably eliminate a great number of YOUR favorite bands because I've got very diverse taste in music. You sure you wanna go there? :D

Thnikkaman
11-25-2008, 05:46 PM
All the music you love.

http://static2.shopify.com/s/files/1/0016/9762/files/elitism330.png

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 05:47 PM
http://static2.shopify.com/s/files/1/0016/9762/files/elitism330.png

LoL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skinny
11-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Grateful Dead
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Rex
11-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Grateful Dead
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Oh Dear Lord.:tsk:

Buff
11-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Grateful Dead
Red Hot Chili Peppers

C'mon Skinny... Under the Bridge is such an epic song that it alone should exclude RHCP from the list.

Broncospsycho77
11-25-2008, 06:49 PM
WTH Skinny, those are all solid bands. Some around longer than they should be, but all, at one time or another, totally BA. Except 311; never could get in to them.

slim
11-25-2008, 06:50 PM
WTH Skinny, those are all solid bands. Some around longer than they should be, but all, at one time or another, totally BA. Except 311; never could get in to them.

Who is 311?

Broncospsycho77
Oh, and here's one I could never get into: The Rolling Stones. Boring.

Broncospsycho77
Who is 311?

A poor man's RHCP, basically.

BroncoJoe
Hanson.

Although I have previously admitted to loving the song MMMBop. It's happy music.

Skinny
11-25-2008, 06:52 PM
C'mon Skinny... Under the Bridge is such an epic song that it alone should exclude RHCP from the list.Oh yeah, definitely a great song.

Just overall.

I could find a song (Truckin'-Grateful Dead) from each of those bands that would probably be on my top 10 songs list. But musically, album after album after album, none of those bands did it for me personally. They bore me.

slim
11-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh yeah, definitely a great song.

Just overall.

I could find a song (Truckin'-Grateful Dead) from each of those bands that would probably be on my top 10 songs list. But musically, album after album after album, none of those bands did it for me personally. They bore me.

You are right about the Grateful Dead. Never heard of 311, so I will take that to mean they are nothing special.

RHCP, meh I could take it or leave it.

I will have to disagree about the other two, though.

Dreadnought
11-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Springsteen sucks ass.

QFT. Sprimgsteen isn't merely overrated - he just flat out blows. Every song, every album. There isn't a Springsteen song that doesn't irritate the Hell out of me. Even the Grateful Dead have a few songs I like, but not that hack.

slim
11-25-2008, 06:58 PM
QFT. Sprimgsteen isn't merely overrated - he just flat out blows. Every song, every album. There isn't a Springsteen song that doesn't irritate the Hell out of me. Even the Grateful Dead have a few songs I like, but not that hack.

Yeah, I think Joe lost hearing along with his hair.

gnomeflinger
11-25-2008, 06:58 PM
I am going to put 240 sexy songs on an Ipod shuffle and Fed Ex it to her.

Color Me Badd, Bel Biv Devoe, Bobby Brown...goood ole' 80s R and B groove.

Lots of Barry White.

I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Broncospsycho77
11-25-2008, 06:59 PM
You are right about the Grateful Dead. Never heard of 311, so I will take that to mean they are nothing special.

RHCP, meh I could take it or leave it.

I will have to disagree about the other two, though.

I agree. I give props to the Grateful Dead when they sang the National Anthem at a baseball game in San Fran once which was just nuts... but their album work was a yawn fest.

I love some RHCP songs, then others just sound the same. They've definitely outlived their prime, though, as seen by Stadium Arcadium... just kind of monotonous.

And Nirvana and Pearl Jam defined an entire era of music. It's because of those two bands, mostly, that most of the Pacific Northwest had a total lifestyle change and new way of life. And Nirvana went out on top (RIP Cobain).

A couple more overrated: Three Doors Down, Nickelback, Hinder, Daughtry, etc... really they're just the same sound, over and over again.

Dreadnought
11-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I think Joe lost hearing along with his hair.

I don't get it, Slim. I have mad respeck for Bronco Joe, but this one baffles me.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Dread is a hater.

BroncoJoe
11-25-2008, 07:02 PM

Sorry, Dread, but our kids are no longer being matched.

:tsk:

If you haven't seen The Boss live, you haven't been to a concert.

Skinny
11-25-2008, 07:04 PM
And Nirvana and Pearl Jam defined an entire era of music. It's because of those two bands, mostly, that most of the Pacific Northwest had a total lifestyle change and new way of life. And Nirvana went out on top (RIP Cobain).True, that they did. But it was a difficult transition for a hair band freak like myself to make.

Going from banging your head to Motley Crue, Ratt, Dokken, Cinderella, Van Halen, Etc to the Seattle grunge scene just did'nt happen for me. Though i did like Soundgarden oddly enough.

Simple Jaded
11-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Whoever signs that song that goes: "Give me a 'Hell', give me a 'Yeah'!" should be put on this list for even getting a record contract.......

BroncoJoe
11-25-2008, 07:08 PM
8rGFfO5fUvE

gnomeflinger
11-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Catching up - noticed Green Day made someone's list - Hear, Hear. I'll change the channel for those chumps too.

Bob Dylans flat out sucks. he was, is, and will remain unlistenable. I swear to God he gets listed as a genius because everyone else lists him as a genius. That Emporer is wearing no clothes.

U2 - pre Joshua Tree maybe in my top 5 bands of all time. I can listen to "Boy" or "October" anytime and simply repeat. Then Bono became a self styled much beloved World Statesman and the Band became less and less interesting the more seriously Bono took himself. U2 albums get released, but I no longer notice them

Dread, oh my, Dylan couldn't carry a tune in a sippy cup, but his lyrics were epic.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Dread can't even play a kazoo. His thoughts on music mean nothing. Epic fail.

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 07:10 PM
I agree. I give props to the Grateful Dead when they sang the National Anthem at a baseball game in San Fran once which was just nuts... but their album work was a yawn fest.

I love some RHCP songs, then others just sound the same. They've definitely outlived their prime, though, as seen by Stadium Arcadium... just kind of monotonous.

And Nirvana and Pearl Jam defined an entire era of music. It's because of those two bands, mostly, that most of the Pacific Northwest had a total lifestyle change and new way of life. And Nirvana went out on top (RIP Cobain).

A couple more overrated: Three Doors Down, Nickelback, Hinder, Daughtry, etc... really they're just the same sound, over and over again.

Daughtry is an absolute poser.

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Dread can't even play a kazoo. His thoughts on music mean nothing. Epic fail.

Dread submitted a song for the board. You back the **** off. Like now.

P.S. Sarcasm smilie...:lol:

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Dread submitted a song for the board. You back the **** off. Like now.

Dread has a music video here? What is he doing? Farting the bass line to Time by Pink Floyd?

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Dread has a music video here? What is he doing? Farting the bass line to Time by Pink Floyd?

Some old Communist work song...good stuff...

gnomeflinger
11-25-2008, 07:13 PM
And Pink Floyd.

To me, it's all about what mood you're in for music. It just seems to me that to enjoy Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd you'd have to be really stoned and laying around like a vegetable.

Myself, like Coach am an old classic rock guy. I can listen to country and most anything except Punk Rock, hip hop and rap.

Pink Floyd??? :cry:

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Rap is not crap turftoad. You're jsut OLD.

MOtorboat
11-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Speaking of, Pink Floyd is over-rated...basically they just took everything John Lennon did in a studio, recreated it and hit power chords, instead of open chords.

:coffee:

NameUsedBefore
Dream Theater.

Probably the most talented band around, by quite a ways, too (except vocals). But... seriously, there's no feel there. Sure Mike Portnoy can blast-beat however fast he can and hit a billion notes a second, but I swear there is absolutely no feeling behind it. John Petrucci can do some serious guitar wankery, but what of it?

Every song is like a practice session of "Let's see what craziness we can produce" except they throw god-awful lyrics/vocals into it. I mean, I enjoy the band, but they are so incredibly overrated in the metal scene IMO.

MOtorboat
Speaking of, Pink Floyd is over-rated...basically they just took everything John Lennon did in a studio, recreated it and hit power chords, instead of open chords.

:coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Pink Floyd??? :cry:

oh gnomey i wish u were here. . . *dooo doo*

we're just two broncos forum known's swimming in a fishbowl. . . year after year. . .

ber ber ber!!

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 07:17 PM
I wanna drop acid and go to Dream Theater in concert. Goal of mine.

Simple Jaded
11-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Dream Theater.

Probably the most talented band around, by quite a ways, too (except vocals). But... seriously, there's no feel there. Sure Mike Portnoy can blast-beat however fast he can and hit a billion notes a second, but I swear there is absolutely no feeling behind it. John Petrucci can do some serious guitar wankery, but what of it?

Every song is like a practice session of "Let's see what craziness we can produce" except they throw god-awful lyrics/vocals into it. I mean, I enjoy the band, but they are so incredibly overrated in the metal scene IMO.

"Pull my finger.......pull my finger.......pull my finger, don't be afraid"

They're almost too good, all precision and no substance.......

Dreadnought
11-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Some old Communist work song...good stuff...

Exactly - I sang "I dreamed I saw Joe Hill Last Night" back last Spring.

NameUsedBefore
11-25-2008, 07:23 PM
"Pull my finger.......pull my finger.......pull my finger"

They're almost too good, all precision and no substance.......

That's just it. Those mother ****ers can jam like no other, but you would never ever see them doing something that has feel to it... I just look at Tool as one of their contemporaries. Besides the drummer, there is nothing extraordinary about Tool as musicians, but all be damned if Lateralus isn't one of the most mind-blowing songs ever and they didn't have to wank-out on their drums and guitars for 10mins to get me to think that.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Exactly - I sang "I dreamed I saw Joe Hill Last Night" back last Spring.

Woody Guthrie - This Land Is Your Land

I bet this is your favorite song of all-time. :smile:

KCL
11-25-2008, 07:24 PM

Banned. 7 days.

You are next Douchemaster.

Well I guess he finally admits it......;)

Dreadnought
11-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Sorry, Dread, but our kids are no longer being matched.

:tsk:

If you haven't seen The Boss live, you haven't been to a concert.

Haven't seen him live. Let me just say that doing so ain't on my "Bucket list" either. I'll just marry my girl off to the cute little Polish kid she goes on about then. I'll teach him about the Broncos, and how the Raiders and Bruce Springsteen suck.