PDA

View Full Version : Krieger: Dump can be Broncos' treasure

Denver Native (Carol)
08-18-2011, 09:52 AM
It's looking more and more like Sept. 3 will be one of the biggest player personnel dumps in NFL history, with nearly 1,200 players coming on the market at once. The Broncos, with second priority on the waiver wire and certain . . . ahem . . . talent gaps, want to be ready to take advantage.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed Wednesday that the league is considering allowing teams to keep 90 players on their rosters right up to Sept. 3, the final cutdown date, when they must get down to the regular-season roster limit of 53.

Coming out of the lockout, the league had tentatively pushed back the first cutdown day, when teams would reduce rosters from 90 to 75 players, to Aug. 30. But officials now think any early cuts may be counterproductive.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_18704472

Dzone
08-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Second priority on the waiver wire. Could be a gold mine. Plus a chance for us to dump some trash.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Krieger is stealing my stuff.

NightTerror218
08-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Well I guess we were not the only ones after Pressley.....Bengals put in for them but #2 trumps #4

dogfish
08-18-2011, 04:39 PM
i sure hope haloti ngata gets waived!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-18-2011, 05:05 PM
i sure hope haloti ngata gets waived!

You too!?

:laugh:

HORSEPOWER 56
08-18-2011, 05:54 PM
So, we're going to sign a couple more TEs and RBs on September 3rd?

:whoknows: ;)

dogfish
08-18-2011, 05:57 PM
So, we're going to sign a couple more TEs and RBs on September 3rd?

:whoknows: ;)

more safeties. . .

although rumor has it we're also not satisfied at quarterback-- if sam bradford or matt ryan is available, we might be interested. . . .

broncofaninfla
08-18-2011, 06:01 PM
I can see Denver making a lot of roster moves at OL, DT and RB via the waiver process.We have little to now depth at those postions and there will be people being cut that are better than what we currently have.

NightTerror218
08-18-2011, 06:06 PM
I can see Denver making a lot of roster moves at OL, DT and RB via the waiver process.We have little to now depth at those postions and there will be people being cut that are better than what we currently have.

If our RB UFA turn out, we could be sitting well there with 4.

JakeNbake
08-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Hooray, maybe we can pick up some more washed up DT's that would be a very good thing. Or maybe like someone else said some more Tight Ends... if I only knew one thing about football it would be this. You can't win without at least 12 active TE's on your roster.

broncoFan!
08-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Hooray, maybe we can pick up some more washed up DT's that would be a very good thing. Or maybe like someone else said some more Tight Ends... if I only knew one thing about football it would be this. You can't win without at least 12 active TE's on your roster.

Yes I quite agree. I miss Tony Scheffler.

Traveler
08-18-2011, 07:28 PM
My, how far this franchise has fallen. Sad state of affairs when we have stories of how the team is looking forward to waivers to add players.

Lancane
08-18-2011, 07:34 PM
My, how far this franchise has fallen. Sad state of affairs when we have stories of how the team is looking forward to waivers to add players.

I just hope to hell we stay away from the supplemental draft! :tsk:

dogfish
08-18-2011, 07:42 PM
I just hope to hell we stay away from the supplemental draft! :tsk:

hey, it looks like we could use a young quarterback-- what about terrell pryor?

JakeNbake
08-18-2011, 07:44 PM

VERY NICE! That'd be awesome. :elefant:

Lancane
08-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Yeah, that's sure to fix our image! :lol:

I expect Miami and Oakland to make a move on Pryor though.

PAINTERDAVE
08-18-2011, 07:51 PM
It is a unique situation...

This team has SO MANY holes to fill..
no way we could have done it with just one draft..

Being in the #2 slot...
we basicly get 1st shot at ANY player released...
(obviously not if Carolina takes him)

Heard an interview with the guy who is in charge of player personel under Xanders...
he sounds very much ready and up to speed...
it was quite interesting hearing how they have been tracking ALL
the players in the NFL... have a ton of info at their fingertips, etc.
They have been preparing for this day since before the draft, he said.

It is a far cry from the old days... shuffling paper, poring over notes...
he said it is all very organized and efficiant... modern football operation
cutting edge technology , etc.

For a team like ours... it is a golden opportunity... being in slot #2...
there WILL be some very good players cut for salary reasons...
or because their team is overstocked...

he said to expect players taken at O-line and D-line for sure.

those two positions we are paper thin at.

like 1,890 players... that is a lot to pick from at #2.

Elway himself has taken on the task
of researching the QB's who may be available...
they expect up to 40 Qb's will be on the wire.

The radio was interesting today...

NightTerror218
08-18-2011, 07:52 PM
I hear Haynesworth may be dumped we could pick him up....Fox would whip him into shape i think....but I hate his personality.

Lancane
08-18-2011, 07:53 PM

This team has SO MANY holes to fill..
no way we could have done it with just one draft..

Being in the #2 slot...

Heard an interview with the guy who is in charge of player personel under Xanders...
he sounds very much ready and up to speed...
it was quite interesting hearing how they have been tracking ALL
the players in the NFL... have a ton of info at their fingertips, etc.
They have been preparing for this day since before the draft, he said.

It is a far cry from the old days... shuffling paper, poring over notes...
he said it is all very organized and efficiant... modern football operation
cutting edge technology , etc.

he said to expect players taken at O-line and D-line for sure.

those two positions we are paper thin at.

like 1,890 players... that is a lot to pick from at #2.

The radio was interesting today...

Well too bad McGee is not on the wire...:lol:

MOtorboat
08-18-2011, 07:55 PM

Please. Pryor hasn't committed a single, actual crime. Hell, he received less benefits in college than D.J. Williams and Willis McGahee...

Lancane
08-18-2011, 07:55 PM
I hear Haynesworth may be dumped we could pick him up....Fox would whip him into shape i think....but I hate his personality.

Yeah, but we also have to remember that Haynesworth has been stuck on 3-4 teams which he seems to completely loath, he's long said he wants to play in the 4-3, maybe that will be enough to get him here and hopefully for him to show his old form.

Lancane
08-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Please. Pryor hasn't committed a single, actual crime. Hell, he received less benefits in college than D.J. Williams and Willis McGahee...

I don't mean that way, I meant in taking controversial players instead of the more team orientated and highly valued prospects...it wasn't out of slight against the kid himself Mo.

NightTerror218
08-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah, but we also have to remember that Haynesworth has been stuck on 3-4 teams which he seems to completely loath, he's long said he wants to play in the 4-3, maybe that will be enough to get him here and hopefully for him to show his old form.

Would be nice, former Pro Bowl DT, in the 4-3. WHo had temper tantrum in 3-4 and just wont play it.

dogfish
08-18-2011, 08:06 PM

hey, he's no maurice clarett. . . :D

Being in the #2 slot...

dave, i'm afraid that might be the problem-- if you claim a player on waivers, you inherit that bad contract that just got him released. . . if we weren't willing to shell out for any legit talent in free agency, where we actually had a chance to negotiate, what types of contracts do you think we'll be willing to take on? maybe they'll change their minds just out of desperation if a decent DT happens to be there, but i have a hard time envisioning them opening the vault now when they wouldn't before. . . especially if we're talking about bad deals that other squads didn't want. . .

i would throw up a couple of serious tiger woods fistpumps if we finally ditched that scrub quinn, though. . . .

dogfish
08-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Would be nice, former Pro Bowl DT, in the 4-3. WHo had temper tantrum in 3-4 and just wont play it.

don't kid yourself. . . he's already been paid, he's done working-- dude's not going to go hard in the 3-4, 4-3, 3-3-5, 5-2, or any other scheme you can think of. . . that 3-4 stuff was just an excuse for his lazy ass. . . he didn't do crap the year before when they were still running a 40 front either. . .

Lancane
08-18-2011, 08:11 PM
don't kid yourself. . . he's already been paid, he's done working-- dude's not going to go hard in the 3-4, 4-3, 3-3-5, 5-2, or any other scheme you can think of. . . that 3-4 stuff was just an excuse for his lazy ass. . . he didn't do crap the year before when they were still running a 40 front either. . .

Yeah, and you'd be pissed if we didn't get him and at least try, then all of a sudden he's elsewhere and has a Pro-Bowl season!

:lol:

dogfish
08-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah, and you'd be pissed if we didn't get him and at least try, then all of a sudden he's elsewhere and has a Pro-Bowl season!

nah, i absolutely want us to pass on him if he is available. . . i'm 100% willing to "risk" it, because i think the odds of him suddenly becoming a different person are about none. . . i wouldn't be completely shocked if he had a decent season under bill belly, just because they have such a strong locker room and have proven capable of succeeding with reclamation projects before. . . but i don't think there's a snowflake's chance in hell he'd do anything on a weak team like this. . .

we can suck just as well with HAM thomas and vickerson, without embarrassing the uniform with that piece of garbage in the meantime. . .

PAINTERDAVE
08-18-2011, 08:24 PM
hey, he's no maurice clarett. . . :D

dave, i'm afraid that might be the problem-- if you claim a player on waivers, you inherit that bad contract that just got him released. . . if we weren't willing to shell out for any legit talent in free agency, where we actually had a chance to negotiate, what types of contracts do you think we'll be willing to take on? maybe they'll change their minds just out of desperation if a decent DT happens to be there, but i have a hard time envisioning them opening the vault now when they wouldn't before. . . especially if we're talking about bad deals that other squads didn't want. . .

i would throw up a couple of serious tiger woods fistpumps if we finally ditched that scrub quinn, though. . . .

Is that right? If a guy is released.... cut... un-employed...

does the team that offers him a job have to pick up a
defunct contract he signed with another team in the past?

I have NOt heard anything like this...
I respectfully doubt the veracity of such a claim...

without proof....
I dont believe that we would be obligated to
pick up the dead money or the expired contract..

I would like accurate clarification.
TIA for anyone who can show what the reality is.

That said...

I believe Denver is under the cap...
while a lot of teams like Dallas are far and away over the cap.

That bodes well for us....

PAINTERDAVE
08-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Thinking about this..

it will be interesting when a team cuts down...
then.. as they pick up a guy they find useful...
they will have to cut ANOTHER guy from the squad...

so as the teams all play musical chairs...
we will get second crack at all the guys
who make the first cut but then get cut
after the team picks up somebody at another position.

That is a LOT of guys we will get to pick from. :salute:

dogfish
08-18-2011, 09:07 PM

without proof....

if you think i'm lying, you COULD just google it yourself and spare me the hassle. . . . :coffee:

(b) Whenever a player who has finished less than the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan is placed on waivers, the player’s Player Contract will be subject to the waiver system and may be awarded to a claiming Club.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/8/25/1649779/countdown-to-cutdown-how-the-nfl

•When his name goes on the waiver wire, every team in the NFL has the option to pick up the players original contract (the one Player X originally signed with Team A)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_the_NFL_waiver_wire_work#ixzz1VR7rdhRr

JakeNbake
08-18-2011, 09:22 PM

without proof....

That said...

I believe Denver is under the cap...
while a lot of teams like Dallas are far and away over the cap.

That bodes well for us....

We have to pay his contract if we pick him up off of waivers. However if he passes through waivers and then we sign him we'd have a new contract in place.

JakeNbake
08-18-2011, 09:22 PM
if you think i'm lying, you COULD just google it yourself and spare me the hassle. . . . :coffee:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/8/25/1649779/countdown-to-cutdown-how-the-nfl

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_the_NFL_waiver_wire_work#ixzz1VR7rdhRr
Oops I guess I shouldn't have posted at the same time.

dogfish
08-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Oops I guess I shouldn't have posted at the same time.

no worries!

Canmore
08-19-2011, 01:49 AM
Thanks .. I was unaware of that...

so if a guy is past his fourth year.. no contract..
is that what I read?

Should be lots of guys cut who have been in the league longer than 4 years.

Thanks again... It seems crazy to me...
but if that is what the deal is..
that is what the deal is.

I guess we wont be signing any young guys with huge contracts...

As I understand it, you got it. :defense:

PAINTERDAVE
08-19-2011, 01:54 AM
So the waiver wire is only for players
who have not completed 4 seasons...
any players who have completed 4 seasons or more
do not go on the waiver wire...
they become free agents immediatly.

That is the rules from last season.
If the rules stay the same under this new CBA...
then there will be any number of older guys released
who we do NOT have a 2nd right to claim.

Thanks for digging that up...
I was unfamiiar with the regulations.

Sorry to have doubted you...
I was just thinking along the lines of basic economics and capitalism...
not union negotiated rules for rookies/journeymen.

SonoftheSouth
08-19-2011, 02:05 AM

I've got a feeling that Elway still has his eyes on Andrew Luck in next year's draft! Who knows? We could have a crappy season and get a chance at drafting him! It was said by some that John was disappointed when Luck stayed in school for another year, truly believing the Broncos had an awesome chance to get him with the # 2 overall pick, or by trading up with Carolina for the # 1. It's difficult for me to believe that the Panthers wouldn't have picked Luck over Newton, had Luck declared for the draft though.

Canmore
08-19-2011, 02:07 AM
I've got a feeling that Elway still has his eyes on Andrew Luck in next year's draft! Who knows? We could have a crappy season and get a chance at drafting him! It was said by some that John was disappointed when Luck stayed in school for another year, truly believing the Broncos had an awesome chance to get him with the # 2 overall pick, or by trading up with Carolina for the # 1. It's difficult for me to believe that the Panthers wouldn't have picked Luck over Newton, had Luck declared for the draft though.

Luck would have gone number one to Carolina. No way it happens any other way. :D

Lancane
08-19-2011, 02:09 AM

Luck could have pulled an Elway..."Hell no I'm not playing for you!":lol:

PAINTERDAVE
08-19-2011, 02:15 AM
If Luck has a decent season..
he will go to the number one team..
case closed.

With the new rules... it wont be so expensive to draft him..
there is no team that wont use that first pick on him.

Aparantly.. it is a deep draft for QB's next season...
I also think Denver will draft a QB...

Orton will be gone... then it will be a 3 way..
Tebow, Quinn.. and the new guy.
If they take a QB in the first...

3 first round QB's.... that would be interesting....

however.. I have heard speculation that there are
enough good QB's coming out
that a 2nd round pick could net a good one in 2012.

DenBronx
08-19-2011, 03:06 AM
ClaytonESPNJohn Clayton

DeMario Pressley, just cut by the Colts, is the first of what might be many DT waiver claims by the Broncos, trying to fill two spots at DT

DenBronx
08-19-2011, 03:10 AM

So if we sign DeMario Pressley then we would have Elvis Pressley on the DLine.

JakeNbake
08-19-2011, 05:21 PM

So if we sign DeMario Pressley then we would have Elvis Pressley on the DLine.

We signed him a couple days ago. :elefant:

sneakers
08-20-2011, 01:52 AM

If the Broncos wanted to be able to draft Andrew Luck they would hire the female owner from the Cleveland Indians in the movie Major League to be the General Manager.