PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton interview on The Fan

DenBronx
08-18-2011, 02:40 AM
He had alot of good things to say about the team, QB situation, Elway and the coaches. Worth 14 mins..

http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/thedrive/Story.aspx?ID=1523567

BroncoNut
08-18-2011, 08:06 AM
I like John Clayton. He's a nerd that really knows his football

TXBRONC
08-18-2011, 09:08 AM
He had alot of good things to say about the team, QB situation, Elway and the coaches. Worth 14 mins..

http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/thedrive/Story.aspx?ID=1523567

You were right it was well worth the time.

He did say it looks like it could be a rough season.

He said he things Elway is going to be good at his job and that he likes moves he's made.

BroncoNut
08-18-2011, 09:10 AM
what is the new ko rule? it's to bring it out the the 30 instead of the 20 on a touchback or something isnt it?

TXBRONC
08-18-2011, 09:23 AM
what is the new ko rule? it's to bring it out the the 30 instead of the 20 on a touchback or something isnt it?

The new rule is that kickoffs with be moved up to the 35 yard line which meas a lot more touchbacks and the touchbacks will still only come out to the 20.

Ravage!!!
08-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Good interview. But its easy to like what he has to say when he's saying the same things I have been! :lol:

DenBronx
08-18-2011, 07:27 PM
The kickoff rule is wack. They took away the most exciting play in football.

Might as well just place the ball on the 20 then. :rolleyes:

Canmore
08-19-2011, 12:44 AM

That's what they are doing all over the league. :laugh:

Juriga72
08-19-2011, 08:15 AM

I was watching a NFLlive thing... The Kickers were trying to kick off like a punt now.

With the moved up kickoff... They kick it up high and thne they are able to get gunners to run under it. Since after 10 yards its a free ball, they would either have to fair catch it...PLUS IIRC there is no protective area like on a punt

TXBRONC
08-19-2011, 08:27 AM
I was watching a NFLlive thing... The Kickers were trying to kick off like a punt now.

With the moved up kickoff... They kick it up high and thne they are able to get gunners to run under it. Since after 10 yards its a free ball, they would either have to fair catch it...PLUS IIRC there is no protective area like on a punt

I don't know why teams wouldn't want their kickers to just kick it into or threw the end zone. I think Clayton said that team score only 12% on drives of 80 yards or more.

BroncoJoe
08-19-2011, 08:29 AM
They should have given the receiving team the ball at the 25 with this change. Otherwise, leave it alone.

TXBRONC
08-19-2011, 08:31 AM
They should have given the receiving team the ball at the 25 with this change. Otherwise, leave it alone.

I agree but I don't think it would help the scoring very much.

Tned
08-19-2011, 08:33 AM

A buddy and I were talking about this last year or the year before. About why more teams don't kick the short, high, hanging kickoff (punt like) like some teams do in college, which gives their guys time to get under and try and recover the live ball. I guess the reason was that since the receiving team will still recover most balls, it gives them a shorter field.

So, now with that extra five yards, teams may be more likely to do that, especially in place of an onside kick in some cases.

chazoe60
08-19-2011, 08:52 AM

A buddy and I were talking about this last year or the year before. About why more teams don't kick the short, high, hanging kickoff (punt like) like some teams do in college, which gives their guys time to get under and try and recover the live ball. I guess the reason was that since the receiving team will still recover most balls, it gives them a shorter field.

So, now with that extra five yards, teams may be more likely to do that, especially in place of an onside kick in some cases.

I don't think the NFL thought this rule change out. What I think we'll see a lot is high kicks inside the 5 and some really bad starting field position. That's what I'd try to do if I was coaching.

TXBRONC
08-19-2011, 09:06 AM
I don't think the NFL thought this rule change out. What I think we'll see a lot is high kicks inside the 5 and some really bad starting field position. That's what I'd try to do if I was coaching.

Maybe. But with the fact that teams have to drive 80 yards only results in scoring 12% of the time I think a lot teams will just kick it through the end zone. I thinks it's possible that we will see a little more it but I don't think be anything you with any regularity.

Juriga72
08-19-2011, 09:33 AM
I really think that this rule will change quickly. NO protective zone around the KR means that you an just plow right into him...

TXBRONC
08-19-2011, 10:01 AM
I really think that this rule will change quickly. NO protective zone around the KR means that you an just plow right into him...

Not if kickers are consistenly kicking deep into the end zone or through it.