PDA

View Full Version : Change starts at top for Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
08-17-2011, 06:41 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- For close to two decades, Denver Broncos fans lived and died by the arm of John Elway.

Starting this season, they will survive by his mind. Elway, whose football skills elevated the franchise above its mile-high perch in the Rockies, runs more than just the offense as the president of the Broncos. If Broncos fans can be patient, they may find doing football the "El-Way" will offer more long-term satisfaction than the collateral damage done by two years of roster decisions by Josh McDaniels.

Elway's charge is fixing the mess created by McDaniels, who calls a swashbuckling style of offense but had a franchise-wrecking style of personnel moves. It was McDaniels who traded the talents of Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler to install a Patriots offense that succeeds more on system than talent. It was McDaniels who turned a respectable 4-3 defense into a 3-4 that couldn't stop anyone.

rest of article - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6871306/john-elway-rebuilding-denver-broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
08-17-2011, 06:45 PM
More thoughts by Clayton

By Bill Williamson
ESPN’s John Clayton has an interesting note in his look at the Denver Broncos.

Clayton reports that he doesn’t expect the Broncos to publicly designate a backup to Kyle Orton. Clayton wrote that Brady Quinn will probably be the backup to Orton, but the team will simply go into games with Orton as the starter and Quinn and second-year quarterback Tim Tebow will be the reserves without labels of second or third string attached to either player.

The two have been back-and-forth in the battle for the backup job. Tebow did relieve Orton last week in the preseason opener at Dallas. Both Tebow and Quinn played well in that game.

rest of article - http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/30783/clayton-denver-may-be-mum-on-backup-qb

Juriga72
08-17-2011, 07:03 PM
If the team feels Quinn is better than Tebow, then the team should say it. I know TebowMania is big, but it’s not bigger than the team.

Holy Crap.... are they going to pull that McDumbarse crap too?

"Whoooooo we are SOOOOOOOOOOOO smart... no one will be able to tell who's the back up"

Either way..... just say it. Quinn is better? NAME him the back up..F- Tebow-mania...

dogfish
08-17-2011, 07:33 PM
change DOES start at the top-- and this team is going nowhere until they toss the bean-counters ellis and xanders out on their asses. . . .

Agent of Orange
08-17-2011, 08:40 PM
5. The Broncos are more negatively affected by the new kickoff rule than any team in football. The impact of kickoffs from the 35-yard line has made touchbacks too common in games. The touchback situation will be even worse in Denver. The first problem will be in home games. The Denver air is so thin that the weakest kickers on opposing teams will be booming kicks into the back of the Broncos' end zone. Just last season with kickoffs from the 30, the Broncos' kickoff receiving team had a league-high 36 touchbacks. The next closest team was Tennessee at 22. With a more than 100 percent increase in touchbacks league-wide, it's not out of the question for the Broncos to be victimized by 50 or more touchbacks. The other problem is their defense may not be good enough to prevent teams from scoring and kicking off at a higher rate. The Broncos led the league last season with 98 opposing kickoffs. Somehow, with all the kickoffs last season, the Broncos' average drive start was 25.9. This year, Orton will be starting most drives after kickoffs around his 20, making it tougher for the offense to score.

Considering the Broncos aren't exactly the best team in the NFL, the new rule would hardly negatively affect them more than other teams.

Bosco
08-17-2011, 09:26 PM
change DOES start at the top-- and this team is going nowhere until they toss the bean-counters ellis and xanders out on their asses. . . .

At this point I'd add Bowlen to that list with Elway on very thin ice.

dogfish
08-17-2011, 09:34 PM
At this point I'd add Bowlen to that list with Elway on very thin ice.

believe me, i'd love to if we could fire the owner. . . :laugh:

i'm willing to give elway a pass in this-- i feel like he had xanders foisted on him. . . i also seriously question just how much power he really has-- JMO, but i kinda suspect bowlen brought john in more as a PR move with the fans (and possibly to lend a bit of credibility in NFL circles) than as a legit, empowered exec. . .

but yea, there are any number of guys i'd rather have in the FO. . . although ideally, i'd LOVE to see john bumped up to executive VP of football operations, with an experienced GM under him. . .

Nick
08-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Considering the Broncos aren't exactly the best team in the NFL, the new rule would hardly negatively affect them more than other teams.

if anything it will help us on away games... our special teams hasnt been to great the last decade.

BroncoStud
08-17-2011, 09:42 PM

Xanders must have very talented lips to still have his job.

Buff
08-17-2011, 09:52 PM
I thought this was a surprisingly good article from Johnny Good Times. It actually offered up some thought provoking information:

I never considered that the new 35 yard line kickoff rule would affect us negatively, but he's right, we're going to have worse starting position on offense than the league average. On the flip, our defense gets that same advantage. And kick returns were never our strong suit anyway. Hopefully it'll end up being a wash.

I also didn't know that Orton bulked up by 12 lbs and Dumervil is up to 265 - maybe that's already been reported and I missed it. It might not end up making much of a difference for Orton, but it can't hurt to try given his injury problems over the years.

BroncoStud
08-17-2011, 10:11 PM
I thought this was a surprisingly good article from Johnny Good Times. It actually offered up some thought provoking information:

I never considered that the new 35 yard line kickoff rule would affect us negatively, but he's right, we're going to have worse starting position on offense than the league average. On the flip, our defense gets that same advantage. And kick returns were never our strong suit anyway. Hopefully it'll end up being a wash.

I also didn't know that Orton bulked up by 12 lbs and Dumervil is up to 265 - maybe that's already been reported and I missed it. It might not end up making much of a difference for Orton, but it can't hurt to try given his injury problems over the years.

I'm surprised Kyle didn't sprain an ankle bulking up.

Dzone
08-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Dumervil is at 265? Damn, isnt he only like 5-10? If he is at 265 then thats huge. Hes not fat either. Hope he has an awesome year.

Dzone
08-17-2011, 10:37 PM
The Xanders thing is strange. How could anyone be retained who had anything to do with the 2 worst drafts in Team and NFL history?
He must have convinced them that he had nothing to do with it and it was all Mcdaniels fault. He probably convinced them he was begging Mcdaniels to take Dez Bryant instead of Delirious Thompson

MOtorboat
08-17-2011, 10:46 PM
The Xanders thing is strange. How could anyone be retained who had anything to do with the 2 worst drafts in Team and NFL history?
He must have convinced them that he had nothing to do with it and it was all Mcdaniels fault. He probably convinced them he was begging Mcdaniels to take Dez Bryant instead of Delirious Thompson

It's Thomas, not Thompson, though I'm sure you really don't care...

The Broncos gave up the house in 2006 to draft Cutler and then gave up the house in 2010 to draft Tebow. No other team has given up that many draft picks to get that much failure.

That's a serious problem. Way more than a WR. Way more.

broncobryce
08-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Clayton is an idiot. For one "It was McDaniels who turned a respectable 4-3 defense into a 3-4 that couldn't stop anyone."
Correction. It was McDaniels who turned a horrible 4-3 that couldnt stop anyone into a 3-4 that couldn't stop anyone.

Also, Elvis played at 260 when he was playing in the 4-3.
And if you call over a thousand total yards in both of the past 2 season's "not showing up" (Moreno) than again, you're an idiot.

dogfish
08-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Clayton is an idiot. For one "It was McDaniels who turned a respectable 4-3 defense into a 3-4 that couldn't stop anyone."
Correction. It was McDaniels who turned a horrible 4-3 that couldnt stop anyone into a 3-4 that couldn't stop anyone.

Also, Elvis played at 260 when he was playing in the 4-3.
And if you call over a thousand total yards in both of the past 2 season's "not showing up" (Moreno) than again, you're an idiot.

did he actually call slowick's godawful coathanger abortion of a defense "respectable?"

:rofl:

Lancane
08-17-2011, 11:50 PM
It's Thomas, not Thompson, though I'm sure you really don't care...

The Broncos gave up the house in 2006 to draft Cutler and then gave up the house in 2010 to draft Tebow. No other team has given up that many draft picks to get that much failure.

That's a serious problem. Way more than a WR. Way more.

Not really Mo, the Broncos have continually screwed the pooch in general in regards to wide receiver additions via the draft or through draft day trades, the best receiver we've drafted in a little over two and a half decades is Brandon Marshall without question, before him our best wideout was an undrafted free agent and Ed McCaffrey. From 95' on we spent picks on the likes of Patrick Jeffers, Marcus Nash, Javon Walker (one good season), Ashley Lelie (one good season), Chad Plummer, Travis McGriff, Leroy Field, Chris Cole, Kevin Kasper, Herb Haygood, Adrian Madise, Triandos Luke, Darius Watts, Domenik Hixon, Eddie Royal (one good season), Kenny McKinnley, Demaryius Thomas and Kevin Decker (looks to the most promising pick since Marshall). Of those mentioned we've used eight picks in the Top 100, and three were first rounders. If it wasn't for Brandon Lloyd having had a breakout season last year we could be in far worse straights, and there is no way the drafting of Cutler and Tebow is worse then what we've done in regards to wideouts.

And Cutler was a good draft pick, when you take his intangibles and what he's already done in his short career he's already proven much especially when you measure it up against the others of his draft class. I agree that the Tebow trade was costly and not a sound move either, I've long agreed with that...but it's no worse then wasting eight picks in the top three rounds and coming away with almost nothing in the end, that doesn't include Marshall because he was a fourth round pick, that is down right horrid.

Lancane
08-17-2011, 11:50 PM
did he actually call slowick's godawful coathanger abortion of a defense "respectable?"

:rofl:

Probably confused it with Nolan's 3-4! :lol:

DenBronx
08-18-2011, 02:54 AM
Actually EFX is cleaning up the worst shit storm this organization has ever seen.

McD RUINED this team....RUINED!!!

So they have at least brought stability back and seem to value a solid defense. I know about the DT mess but when the whole 99% cap thing is mandatory in 2012 I fully expect us to make DT a priority. No matter what I dont think were a playoff team this year.

BroncoJoe
08-18-2011, 09:01 AM
If the team feels Quinn is better than Tebow, then the team should say it. I know TebowMania is big, but it’s not bigger than the team.

Holy Crap.... are they going to pull that McDumbarse crap too?

"Whoooooo we are SOOOOOOOOOOOO smart... no one will be able to tell who's the back up"

Either way..... just say it. Quinn is better? NAME him the back up..F- Tebow-mania...

With the new rule change, there isn't technically a need to declare a #2 or #3 QB.

The Glue Factory
08-18-2011, 09:04 AM

Correction: It was McDaniels who brought in a great DC that turned a horrible 4-3 into a respectable 3-4 but couldn't stand the success and ran that DC out of town, returning the Denver D back to something that couldn't stop a runaway tortoise.