PDA

View Full Version : If I Was in Charge of Sports Authority

spikerman
08-16-2011, 07:25 PM
I would rename the stadium "Mile High Stadium" - "Sports Authority" wouldn't be anywhere on it. I think loyal Broncos fans and fans all over the country who are tired of the corporate takeover of stadium names would more than compensate the company for the lack of its name on the building.

Of course, I've never run my own business and maybe it's a pipe dream, but it seems logical to me.

NightTerror218
08-16-2011, 07:26 PM
We are officially Sports Authority @ Mile High now

spikerman
08-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Yes, I know, but since the corporation owns the naming rights, it seems to me that they could probably name it anything they wanted.

Krugan
08-16-2011, 07:32 PM
I like the idea, really I do.

But why pay to have rights, and not use them?

spikerman
08-16-2011, 07:35 PM
I like the idea, really I do.

But why pay to have rights, and not use them?

That's the beauty of it. You basically pay to remove the corporate name. If they did something like that, The Sports Authority would make a loyal customer out of me.

jhildebrand
08-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Technically, the field is named. It is Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium.

If I were Bowlen, and if the rumors of being cash strapped were true, I would sell the stadium naming rights too.

Then it could be Sports Authority Field at Corporate Sellout Stadium. :lol: If it helps the Broncos then so be it. I think most are past the need for it to be MILE HIGH.

BigDaddyBronco
08-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Technically, the field is named. It is Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium.

If I were Bowlen, and if the rumors of being cash strapped were true, I would sell the stadium naming rights too.

Then it could be Sports Authority Field at Corporate Sellout Stadium. :lol: If it helps the Broncos then so be it. I think most are past the need for it to be MILE HIGH.

Bowlen sold the naming rights for a swimming pool full of vodka.

spikerman
08-16-2011, 07:37 PM

For me, it's not just Mile High. It's all stadiums. The capitalist in me understands why the names are sold, the sports fan in me longs for the nostalgia.

jhildebrand
08-16-2011, 07:40 PM
For me, it's not just Mile High. It's all stadiums. The capitalist in me understands why the names are sold, the sports fan in me longs for the nostalgia.

I feel much the same as you. I think it is a fad that is probably closer to running it's course than many think.

Krugan
08-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Baseketball, good movie.

chazoe60
08-16-2011, 07:47 PM
They should change their name to Mile High Sports and kill two birds with one stone.

powderaddict
08-16-2011, 07:58 PM
If I was in charge of sports authority I'd change the name back to Gart Brothers.

broncofaninfla
08-16-2011, 07:59 PM
I agree with Spikerman, if they did name it Mile High they would def connect with the loyal base and profit off it. I doubt they would do it but I'd sure love top see it. I miss Mile High....

Buff
08-16-2011, 08:05 PM
I would rename the stadium "Mile High Stadium" - "Sports Authority" wouldn't be anywhere on it. I think loyal Broncos fans and fans all over the country who are tired of the corporate takeover of stadium names would more than compensate the company for the lack of its name on the building.

Of course, I've never run my own business and maybe it's a pipe dream, but it seems logical to me.

So, you want SA to make a $60 million donation on behalf of Broncos fans out of the goodness of their hearts?

spikerman
08-16-2011, 08:13 PM
So, you want SA to make a $60 million donation on behalf of Broncos fans out of the goodness of their hearts?

No, I think it would actually drive business to the chain because it is such a novel idea. Obviously they're in business to make money. It wouldn't be from the goodness of their hearts, they would be taking a chance that could ultimately generate income. I realize that they would have to make sure to advertise the fact that they have done this so that would cost them some money. I have never bought anything from a business just because their name is on a stadium, but I would be inclined to patronize a business that purposely kept their name off of a stadium to please the fans.

Dzone
08-16-2011, 08:14 PM
I prefer Eastbay stadium because they have way better prices on shoes sockis and leg warmerts

chazoe60
08-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Mile High Gander Mountain has a kind of ring to it.

Buff
08-16-2011, 08:30 PM
No, I think it would actually drive business to the chain because it is such a novel idea. Obviously they're in business to make money. It wouldn't be from the goodness of their hearts, they would be taking a chance that could ultimately generate income. I realize that they would have to make sure to advertise the fact that they have done this so that would cost them some money. I have never bought anything from a business just because their name is on a stadium, but I would be inclined to patronize a business that purposely kept their name off of a stadium to please the fans.

No offense, but your marketing acumen is horrendous. ;)

Seriously though, your idea is good in premise, but it's kind of like the notion of world peace - it's so unlikely to ever come about that it's really not even worth having a discussion about.

spikerman
08-16-2011, 08:39 PM
No offense, but your marketing acumen is horrendous. ;)

Seriously though, your idea is good in premise, but it's kind of like the notion of world peace - it's so unlikely to ever come about that it's really not even worth having a discussion about.

No offense taken, I like to think of myself as an "out of the box" thinker, but as to your second point, we discuss unrealistic things on the board all the time.

Buff
08-16-2011, 08:43 PM
No offense taken, I like to think of myself as an "out of the box" thinker, but as to your second point, we discuss unrealistic things on the board all the time.

Good point. Plus, I'm not going to censor your views. NTL might, but I won't.

dogfish
08-16-2011, 08:50 PM

true story. . . people talk about the possiblity of us having a good defense all the time!

and since we're on the topic, i think they should send a terminator back in time and prevent the demolition of the real mile high. . .

Lancane
08-16-2011, 08:57 PM
true story. . . people talk about the possiblity of us having a good defense all the time!

and since we're on the topic, i think they should send a terminator back in time and prevent the demolition of the real mile high. . .

I would fully support Sport's Authority if they demolished the new stadium and built an exact replica of the 'old' Mile High, as far as the field, stands, etc. They could update the bathrooms with heated seats, wi-fi throughout the stadium and so on. But I really miss the old Mile High. Demolishing it and replacing it with Invesco is one of the graver mistakes of this organization.

DenBronx
08-16-2011, 09:38 PM
I already support Sports Authority. They have invested money for the good of the team and are a Colorado based company unlike Invesco who was based out of Atlanta. It sounds better than Invesco, and at least they promote sports!!! lol

This is how corporate America works now unfortunately. But if this helps Bowlen spend money on the actual team then I'm all for it as a fan. And who knows, maybe we needed to get rid of that name because we didnt even have as good of a home record as we did at MHS. Maybe a fresh start is what the team needs?

People can invest in part naming rights to the field but it will always be Mile High to us fans.

DenBronx
08-16-2011, 09:41 PM
We now bring authority to the sports world. :salute:

NightTerror218
08-17-2011, 05:16 PM
I prefer Eastbay stadium because they have way better prices on shoes sockis and leg warmerts

Hooters Stadium?

Jsteve01
08-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey Field at Mile High?....

GEM
08-17-2011, 05:27 PM
This field isn't Mile High. Mile High hasn't been Mile High in quite a few years because of all the tards that sell their tix to opposing fans, tell fans to sit down instead of cheering, cheer as loud as they can when the Broncos are 4th and 1 and shut up when the opposing team is 4th and 1. Bunch of whine drinking freaking sissies in that stadium anymore.

Canmore
08-17-2011, 05:32 PM
This field isn't Mile High. Mile High hasn't been Mile High in quite a few years because of all the tards that sell their tix to opposing fans, tell fans to sit down instead of cheering, cheer as loud as they can when the Broncos are 4th and 1 and shut up when the opposing team is 4th and 1. Bunch of whine drinking freaking sissies in that stadium anymore.

But Gem, how do you really feel. :laugh:

BroncoWave
08-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Gotta agree with Buff on this one. You don't shell out 60 million bucks NOT to have your name on something. They are called "naming rights" for a reason.

Chris90210
08-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Hooters Stadium?

Hooters @ Mile High Stadium:beer:

Ravage!!!
08-18-2011, 12:51 PM

Wouldn't they then lose business in the same fashion that you think it would gain, in markets such as KC, Oakland, and San Diego (just to name the most obvious)... and Cleveland.

Ravage!!!
08-18-2011, 12:52 PM

No. I would send the terminator back to do two things. One, to stop the prevent the demo of the original stadium.

2) To eliminate the birth of Josh McDaniels. :salute:

LTC Pain
08-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Hooters @ Mile High Stadium:beer:

Mile High Hooters Stadium :listen: :coffee: :lol: :D

Rex
08-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Nut loves PETCO Park.

LordTrychon
08-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Mile High Hooters Stadium :listen: :coffee: :lol: :D

Mile High Club Stadium?

Dzone
08-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Heres a good article about the Broncos not holding up their end of the bargain
http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=5721

LordTrychon
08-18-2011, 02:55 PM

I agree that it's an article... I disagree that it's any good.

Spend too much in FA = complaining.

Not spend too much in FA = complaining.

spikerman
08-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Wouldn't they then lose business in the same fashion that you think it would gain, in markets such as KC, Oakland, and San Diego (just to name the most obvious)... and Cleveland.

I don't think so. I think they would be more likely to lose business those places by having their name on the Broncos' home stadium. Plus, I would assume that there are fans in those locations that are tired of the corporate names on stadiums too.

In my scenario they wouldn't buy from the business because they took their name off of Mile High, but they may support them for restoring tradition. It's only a thought. Besides, since they own the naming rights, if it isn't working out they can always slap their name back on the stadium in the future.

Lancane
08-18-2011, 11:03 PM
No. I would send the terminator back to do two things. One, to stop the prevent the demo of the original stadium.

2) To eliminate the birth of Josh McDaniels. :salute:

That would be a future I'd like to see! :lol:

Chris90210
08-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Mile High Club Stadium?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

http://www.liquormart.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/600x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/a/canada_dry_club_soda_6_pk.jpg

pnbronco
08-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Well I wish Sports Authority would have saved a few dollars and spent that money in people working in the store. Stopped by today to pick up 2 baseballs at Arapaho and I-25, had just a few minutes to get in and out. Found the balls right away, got to the check out and 3 people in front of me, FIFTEEN MINUTES later I got out of the store!!!! The checker tried to take care of someone with a problem, answered the phone, paged for someone that needed extra help.....OMG, I was not impressed.......:mad:

dogfish
08-19-2011, 03:17 AM
Well I wish Sports Authority would have saved a few dollars and spent that money in people working in the store. Stopped by today to pick up 2 baseballs at Arapaho and I-25, had just a few minutes to get in and out. Found the balls right away, got to the check out and 3 people in front of me, FIFTEEN MINUTES later I got out of the store!!!! The checker tried to take care of someone with a problem, answered the phone, paged for someone that needed extra help.....OMG, I was not impressed.......:mad:

sounds like those cheap bastages are the perfect sponsor for pat bidwell's team. . .

:heh:

tomjonesrocks
08-19-2011, 07:36 AM

Wow--interesting (and grim) article. Can't believe how long it's been since I've seen a game in Denver--guess must be about 10-11 years now (as the last game I saw was in the last year of the real Mile High). Sad article...

Tned
08-19-2011, 08:28 AM
:lol: You guys are brutal!!

Lancane
08-19-2011, 09:49 AM
For the past few years, the Broncos have been falling farther and farther behind other teams in the league in terms of spending. And as of right now, they are more than $24 million below the NFL salary cap in 2011, making them the sixth cheapest team in pro football.

No shit Sherlock!

“I’m not going to be here in 20 years – maybe some of you will be, maybe you won’t,” Broncos president Joe Ellis said on Monday when the switch to Sports Authority Field was announced. “But I don’t think you want to be faced with the idea of going back to the voters for a new facility because this one is outdated.”

Ellis, if your still here in ten I might consider assisted suicide...

“When you go to Coors Field, you have the playground out in leftfield for kids. You have the dining area. You’ve got the food-court area. There’s a lot there when you can walk around,” explained MFSD board member Jack Hilbert. “When you come here, there’s not as much what I can call ‘the fan experience.’ I think Sports Authority will do that for this place.”

There called cheerleaders and it's the only other entertainment we need. What's next, a freakin' roller coaster and merry-go-round?

But beyond that, it’s clear that Ellis is sending a message to the MFSD and the fans: Invest the $60 million over the next 20 years into making the stadium better – putting in things that the Broncos inexplicably forgot when they designed the lifeless, heartless, soulless monstrosity in the first place – or the team might just have to explore its options again down the road.

That explains the stadium issue and the handling of the organization...someone anyone get that man a cookie!

:rolleyes:

BroncoAV06
08-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I don't think so. I think they would be more likely to lose business those places by having their name on the Broncos' home stadium. Plus, I would assume that there are fans in those locations that are tired of the corporate names on stadiums too.

In my scenario they wouldn't buy from the business because they took their name off of Mile High, but they may support them for restoring tradition. It's only a thought. Besides, since they own the naming rights, if it isn't working out they can always slap their name back on the stadium in the future.

I think you are thinking way to much into this. People are not going to go out of their way to buy socks at Sports Authority because they took there name off a field. How many companies do you actually go to or not go to because their name is on a stadium.

Its still Mile High to the fans so what difference does it make?

Lancane
08-19-2011, 10:14 AM
I think you are thinking way to much into this. People are not going to go out of their way to buy socks at Sports Authority because they took there name off a field. How many companies do you actually go to or not go to because their name is on a stadium.

Its still Mile High to the fans so what difference does it make?

Actually it's not Mile High to the fans, that's what really sucks...Mile High is gone, the new field and stadium is not even close to the Mile High we know. We might as well just call it 'Sports Authority Field'.

It's so depressing...I want Mile High back! :tsk:

BroncoWave
08-19-2011, 12:38 PM
sounds like those cheap bastages are the perfect sponsor for pat bidwell's team. . .

:heh:

Yes, because one isolated incident proves that they are cheap.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-19-2011, 01:27 PM
I have not read all of the posts in this article - however, the Broncos do NOT own the stadium - it is owned by Metropolitan Football Stadium District.

From article:

It's official. As of this afternoon, the Metropolitan Football Stadium District has unanimously voted to rename the home of the Broncos, previously named Invesco Field at Mile High.

Besides games played by the Broncos, the stadium has hosted the Democratic National Convention, concerts and other sports events.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18693613

dogfish
08-19-2011, 01:28 PM
No shit Sherlock!

this is from a PFT article a few days ago-- these are the teams that had more cap space than us at the time:

Chiefs: $33 million.

Buccaneers: $29 million.

Jaguars: $28.3 million.

Bengals: $25.9 million.

Bills: $24.6 million.

Browns: $24.5 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/16/updated-cap-space-as-of-august-15/

yea. . . cincy and buffalo-- real distinguished company we're keeping these days. . . .

:ultimateyardog:

but i guess they must be saving up so joe ellis can install a ****ing day care center to make the stadium more family friendly. . .

:rolleyes:

Stargazer
08-19-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm still surprised the voters didn't want to approve a retract stadium versus an open air stadium. You could have had the Final Four, Super Bowl, All star games, conventions, etc. If the public was going to approve the money, should have built a multi-purpose stadium rather than a place that barely gets used the entire year.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-19-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm still surprised the voters didn't want to approve a retract stadium versus an open air stadium. You could have had the Final Four, Super Bowl, All star games, conventions, etc. If the public was going to approve the money, should have built a multi-purpose stadium rather than a place that barely gets used the entire year.

The stadium is used for events, other than the Broncos - some past events, besides the Broncos:

Eagles Concert, Bruce Springsteen Concert, Summer Sanitarium Tour, Drums Along the Rockies, Rocky Mountain Showdown, Democratic National Convention, Warped Tour, Denver Outlaws Lacrosse, Championship Saturday

http://www.invescofieldatmilehigh.com/stadium_info/intro

Stargazer
08-19-2011, 02:36 PM
The stadium is used for events, other than the Broncos - some past events, besides the Broncos:

Eagles Concert, Bruce Springsteen Concert, Summer Sanitarium Tour, Drums Along the Rockies, Rocky Mountain Showdown, Democratic National Convention, Warped Tour, Denver Outlaws Lacrosse, Championship Saturday

http://www.invescofieldatmilehigh.com/stadium_info/intro

But, it's limited to weather.

Anyway, if the voters are going to support the tax increase, should've just went all the way so the people who live there get more events and usage out of the stadium. Bowlen wanted the retract, but quickly canned it when voters wouldn't approve it. Then, went with a cheaper alternative and that's what is there today. Just my thoughts on it.

sneakers
08-19-2011, 05:29 PM
If I was in charge of Sports Authority, I'd be rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Magnificent Seven
09-10-2011, 12:04 AM
What the hell? They put red color on the roofs. They should change to orange color. Take some look at it.

http://www.kdvr.com/sports/kdvr-photos-new-signage-at-broncos-stadium-20110906,0,4571475.photogallery

Lancane
09-10-2011, 12:14 AM
What the hell? They put red color on the roofs. They should change to orange color. Take some look at it.

http://www.kdvr.com/sports/kdvr-photos-new-signage-at-broncos-stadium-20110906,0,4571475.photogallery

Someone reported that it was suppose to be changed to the bright burnished orange of the Broncos before the season began...so who the hell knows at this point Mag.

;)