PDA

View Full Version : New LB Alvin Bowen

NightTerror218
08-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Aquired from Jax

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/08/15/broncos-claim-jacksonville-lb-alvin-bowen/8878/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-blogs-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%3A+Blo g%29

Lancane
08-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Aquired from Jax

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/08/15/broncos-claim-jacksonville-lb-alvin-bowen/8878/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-blogs-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%3A+Blo g%29

Another tweener similar to Woodyard? Looks like they want more speed.

Clipworthy
08-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Bowen could be a great cheap pick-up, for special teams at least, he was nice in college

Jaguars/Bills -- Not very good groomers of talent...

BigDaddyBronco
08-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Bowen could be a great cheap pick-up, for special teams at least, he was nice in college

Jaguars/Bills -- Not very good groomers of talent...
Might as well add the Broncos to that list.

hamrob
08-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Here is some more information on this guy:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/584519

Combine results:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine?id=11667&_slug_=alvin-bowen&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft%2fplayer%2fcombine%3fid%3d11667%26_slug_% 3dalvin-bowen

Hardly seems like a guy who will make the team...who knows.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Aaron Maybin just got cut, too. First round pick DE/OLB. I don't know if we're interested, but he seems to be the type of guy EFX was talking about when teams start their cut downs.

NightTerror218
08-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Aaron Maybin just got cut, too. First round pick DE/OLB. I don't know if we're interested, but he seems to be the type of guy EFX was talking about when teams start their cut downs.

Saw a tweet joke that we are signing 1st round busts and might be going after him.

shank
08-15-2011, 07:37 PM
please tell me we had to cut nate jones to make room for this guy

NightTerror218
08-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Domino

Canmore
08-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Brutal. True, but brutal. :laugh:

DenBronx
08-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Can someone explain how the waiver wire works?

I know we were at 2 but do we lose the 2 spot after we use it?

If so that was kind of a sucky choice to blow it on.

Canmore
08-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Can someone explain how the waiver wire works?

I know we were at 2 but do we lose the 2 spot after we use it?

If so that was kind of a sucky choice to blow it on.

As I understand it, when a player goes on waivers, each team in the league is given an oppurtunity to claim that player and his contract. If multiple teams claim him he is awarded to the worst team. If he clears waivers his contract is nullified and he is a free agent and able to sign with any team. This goes for every player cut. That's why we are going to be scouring the waiver wire. Only Carolina can beat us out of a player if we are willing to take him and his contract.

Clipworthy
08-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Might as well add the Broncos to that list.

Denver doesn't have a problem with that really, they just trade them away :listen:

HORSEPOWER 56
08-15-2011, 08:53 PM
As I understand it, when a player goes on waivers, each team in the league is given an oppurtunity to claim that player and his contract. If multiple teams claim him he is awarded to the worst team. If he clears waivers his contract is nullified and he is a free agent and able to sign with any team. This goes for every player cut. That's why we are going to be scouring the waiver wire. Only Carolina can beat us out of a player if we are willing to take him and his contract.

Only for those who don't have enough accrued time to be UFAs. They have to clear waivers to be an UFA - meaning every team has a chance to claim him and are awarded his rights in the same order as the draft. If we waived (cut) Von Miller, he would have to clear waivers to be an UFA because he doesn't have the accrued time (4 years) to be a UFA. If a team claims him, he is then that team's property and they assume the remainder of his current contract.

If we released (cut) Kyle Orton (hint, hint), he would automatically become an UFA because he's accrued more than 4 years playing time. He wouldn't have to clear waivers and could negotiate with any team and is released from his previous contract.

That's the difference between being "waived" and "released".

Canmore
08-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Only for those who don't have enough accrued time to be UFAs. They have to clear waivers to be an UFA - meaning every team has a chance to claim him and are awarded his rights in the same order as the draft. If we waived (cut) Von Miller, he would have to clear waivers to be an UFA because he doesn't have the accrued time (4 years) to be a UFA. If a team claims him, he is then that team's property and they assume the remainder of his current contract.

If we released (cut) Kyle Orton (hint, hint), he would automatically become an UFA because he's accrued more than 4 years playing time. He wouldn't have to clear waivers and could negotiate with any team and is released from his previous contract.

That's the difference between being "waived" and "released".

Thanks. That clears up something I wondered about. :salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Remember, Derek Domino was waived/injured today, so Broncos felt they needed another LB for practice. Bowen can likely pick up system quick.

http://twitter.com/#!/MaxBroncos/statuses/103275863583375360

DenBronx
08-15-2011, 11:45 PM

That's not what I meant. I understand how the waiver wire works.

But, do we stay at #2 after we pick up someone? If so how long?

If we stay at 2 then that's good because we also need OL and now with the injury to Warren a DT.

Canmore
08-15-2011, 11:47 PM
That's not what I meant. I understand how the waiver wire works.

But, do we stay at #2 after we pick up someone? If so how long?

If we stay at 2 then that's good because we also need OL and now with the injury to Warren a DT.

No. we are always number two for players. Only Carolina can claim a player over us, that is waived.

Canmore
08-15-2011, 11:50 PM
The waiver position is based on draft position. Hopefully were not number two next year, unless your in the suck for Luck boat.

Lancane
08-15-2011, 11:56 PM
The waiver position is based on draft position. Hopefully were not number two next year, unless your in the suck for Luck boat.

I'm starting a new one..."Give up on Luck, play like Junk for Jones", it allows us to not suck as bad! :lol:

Canmore
08-15-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm starting a new one..."Give up on Luck, play like Junk for Jones", it allows us to not suck as bad! :lol:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

DenBronx
08-15-2011, 11:59 PM
No. we are always number two for players. Only Carolina can claim a player over us, that is waived.

thank you.

DenBronx
08-16-2011, 12:00 AM

that would be the SOL campaign.

**** out of Luck.

pnbronco
08-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks. That clears up something I wondered about. :salute:

Thanks for both you and Horse I was wondering what they meant about clearing waivers.....

Slick
08-16-2011, 08:59 AM
hopefully there will come a day when we dont have to scour the waiver wire for other teams trash.