PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Bates

broncofaninfla
11-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Ok, so what is the take on Bates so far this season. In the beginning of the season I really thought we had someone special here but the game yesterday was the worst play calling I can recall with the Broncos. His play calling gave us NO CHANCE of developing ANY rhythm and his stubbornness to adjust during the game cost us the game. Pathetic. :coffee:

Rex
11-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Head Up Ass.

that is all.

SR
11-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Pretty much. The play that stand out in my mind was trying to run up the middle on third and long, like really long. I want to say it was in the 2nd quarter right before we had our punt run back on us.

Traveler
11-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Did we even try to attack the middle of the field? No seam routes or crossing patterns. And did everyone see BM alligator arm that first long pass early in the game?

broncofaninfla
11-24-2008, 09:59 AM
I couldn't understand why we kept going deep on them. Every single time we bypassed open WR's to try and get the home run ball on them. Not sure what Bates saw on film in prepping for this game but it clearly was not there yesterday. His inability to adjust to the game is inexcusable

Day1BroncoFan
11-24-2008, 10:01 AM
I didn't see the whole game but what I did see was pathetic.

It seemed like three passes and punt.

SR
11-24-2008, 10:02 AM
The long balls not being caught weren't always Jay's fault. Scheffler dropped one. Marshall dropped a couple. Royal dropped one. The one Royal dropped was in his flippin hands too.

broncofaninfla
11-24-2008, 10:13 AM
The long balls not being caught weren't always Jay's fault. Scheffler dropped one. Marshall dropped a couple. Royal dropped one. The one Royal dropped was in his flippin hands too.

I'm sure the plays were called to be deep plays. The receivers had to dive for most of the passes and had DB's on them or close to them each time. Jay should have checked off and threw to the OPEN receivers. Bates didn’t do anything to help Cutler out with his play calling Sunday. Jay was off so he should have scaled back the depth of the pass plays and went with the intermediate and short pass plays.

tomjonesrocks
11-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Pretty much. The play that stand out in my mind was trying to run up the middle on third and long, like really long. I want to say it was in the 2nd quarter right before we had our punt run back on us.

That super-sneaky play that never fools anyone has been part of Broncos football for years... :coffee:

haroldthebarrel
11-24-2008, 10:17 AM
I dont like the deep passes vs the Raiders because if there is one thing you know about them is that their players will always be very athletic.

If we had established the run the deep passes could have come off playaction but I was not very impressed in how we attacked them.
On the other hand, had we scored early and hit on a couple of deep passes it would have been a different game, but we should have dinked and dunked them as that was what wroked.

Also with Bell, Hillis and the receivers and Scheffler I just dont understand why we dont do like the Patriots and practise hard and long on screen passes. I know gibbs hated that, but we have an impressively athletic line along with speed at the skill positions.

shank
11-24-2008, 10:24 AM
the deep balls were just a bit off each time, but all were still catchable, just tough. he underthrew marshall every time, but two of them still hit him and only him. scheffler's was underthrown a bit too, but sscheff didn't even jump for it. eddie's was overthrown, but still catchable. at least a couple of those SHOULD have been caught...

jrelway
11-24-2008, 10:26 AM
its the momentum loss we had after that hillis fumble on the first drive. seems that whenever we turn the ball over after a nice drive, we end up stinkin the joint up the rest of the game. it also seems that if the plays that were scripted dont work, we end up losing.

shank
11-24-2008, 10:28 AM
those FB dives were the worst drawn up plays... ever. EVERY time we ran it, there was someone tackling hillis while the ball was changing hands. and we ran like 4 of them!!!!

DenBronx
11-24-2008, 12:48 PM
that was some of the worst play calling ive ever seen. really it was so redundant and obvious. cutler on the deep post, cutler on the deep post, cutler on the deep post. we need more check downs, short routes and quick slants. and i dont know why sheffler is only targeted in the deep routes. get this guy to go over the middle more! tatum has no business running up the middle, leave that to hillis and swing tatum to the outside. i dont know why were always looking for the 30 yard bomb on 2nd and 8.

whoever said head up ass is dead on.

Northman
11-24-2008, 12:51 PM
its the momentum loss we had after that hillis fumble on the first drive. seems that whenever we turn the ball over after a nice drive, we end up stinkin the joint up the rest of the game. it also seems that if the plays that were scripted dont work, we end up losing.

Yea, i definitely think that had a lot to do with how the rest of the game played out. We had the fumble, then the missed FG which i believe left 10 points off the board right there. But we were still in the game regardless but this team seems to get mentally down when things dont go perfect. They need to be able to rebound without having tantrums or losing focus. Hopefully, its just a youngster thing and they can battle through it for a positive future.

LRtagger
11-24-2008, 01:02 PM

Are you talking about the one he was running full stride and had to dive as far as he could to even get his fingers on the ball? And then the ball popped out when he landed on top of it?

Sorry, but that was all on Cutler. Royal had a good 2-3 steps on his guy and if Cutler had hit him in stride (even underthrew it) it would have been an easy six.

Brandon also had double coverage beat deep and Cutler massively underthrew the ball and it was almost picked. If Cutler hit Marshall in stride it would have been another easy 6.

Same thing happened on a throw to Scheff.

Jay was all over the place. Yea, there were a few dropped balls and a few balls that the receivers gave up on, but most of them were bad throws.

Lonestar
11-24-2008, 05:01 PM

Look I know that everyone thinks that Jay can do no evil but he got the official credit for the fumble..

We had a great time consuming drive toe start the second half took almost 6 minutes guess a what we ended the second half with just about 10 minutes TOP..

for that matter we had a 4-5 minute TOP lead late in the 2nd Qtr

We had the MO and then the defense melted down..

Lonestar
11-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Are you talking about the one he was running full stride and had to dive as far as he could to even get his fingers on the ball? And then the ball popped out when he landed on top of it?

Sorry, but that was all on Cutler. Royal had a good 2-3 steps on his guy and if Cutler had hit him in stride (even underthrew it) it would have been an easy six.

Brandon also had double coverage beat deep and Cutler massively underthrew the ball and it was almost picked. If Cutler hit Marshall in stride it would have been another easy 6.

Same thing happened on a throw to Scheff.

Jay was all over the place. Yea, there were a few dropped balls and a few balls that the receivers gave up on, but most of them were bad throws.

Got to wonder if the diabetes is really under control..

NightTrainLayne
11-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Look I know that everyone thinks that Jay can do no evil but he got the official credit for the fumble..

We had a great time consuming drive toe start the second half took almost 6 minutes guess a what we ended the second half with just about 10 minutes TOP..

for that matter we had a 4-5 minute TOP lead late in the 2nd Qtr

We had the MO and then the defense melted down..

Personally, I think Jeremy Bates should get the credit for that fumble. :tsk:

GEM
11-24-2008, 05:40 PM

I remember that play, I looked at my dad and said WTflyingF was that?

GEM
11-24-2008, 05:41 PM
I couldn't understand why we kept going deep on them. Every single time we bypassed open WR's to try and get the home run ball on them. Not sure what Bates saw on film in prepping for this game but it clearly was not there yesterday. His inability to adjust to the game is inexcusable

We were saying the same thing as we watched...the long ball hasn't worked the last 10 times you tried, why do you think it will work this time. :tsk: We were naming the open receivers while they were going for the long ones.

G_Money
11-24-2008, 05:45 PM
It was "35 yard throw to Marshall," then "35 yard throw to Royal on the same pattern," then "QB draw for 8 yards," running off a total of like 20 seconds from the clock, followed by "Punt to a dangerous returner and give up a TD."

Just terrible.

Bates is ruining my holiday cheer with his bah humbug passing offense.

Of course, the same offense won us the Cleveland game...

But do you think we could convince the guy to at least TRY some short passes and runs and screens when Jay can't throw the ball accurately beyond 10 feet?

~G

GEM
11-24-2008, 06:04 PM
It was "35 yard throw to Marshall," then "35 yard throw to Royal on the same pattern," then "QB draw for 8 yards," running off a total of like 20 seconds from the clock, followed by "Punt to a dangerous returner and give up a TD."

Just terrible.

Bates is ruining my holiday cheer with his bah humbug passing offense.

Of course, the same offense won us the Cleveland game...

But do you think we could convince the guy to at least TRY some short passes and runs and screens when Jay can't throw the ball accurately beyond 10 feet?

~G

And Higgins acting like he just won the Super Bowl with that TD. :tsk:

Hell, hand it to Hillis more. The guy was averaging about 8 yards a carry in the first quarter. Rather than changing something when it's working, try sticking with it.

NightTrainLayne
11-24-2008, 06:16 PM
And Higgins acting like he just won the Super Bowl with that TD. :tsk:

Hell, hand it to Hillis more. The guy was averaging about 8 yards a carry in the first quarter. Rather than changing something when it's working, try sticking with it.

Hillis was just kicking ass. After that great drive in the 3rd quarter to tie it up they completely forgot about him. No excuse for that.

G_Money
11-24-2008, 06:27 PM
There were only two outcomes from running Hillis yesterday:

1) He slammed his way forward for several yards and put an Oakland defender on the sidelines from trying to tackle him.

2) He was greeted in the backfield by at least one member of the DL, but usually more than one, and still refused to go quietly, though he did lose yardage. Still, it’s pretty impressive to see a guy being swarmed by 700+ pounds of beef and still not going to the turf. He’s gonna have to learn that discretion is the better part of valor in some cases. The only times he will go to ground is if a guy puts a shoulderpad on his kneecap, or if he’s planning on hitting the guy trying to tackle him. Hillis is anti-move once he gets going. There’s a No Juke Zone wherever he’s headed. DBs will fear him, and soon.

If there was a crease he was barreling forward. If there wasn’t, not only wasn’t there a hole but there was a defensive guy eating lunch in the backfield waiting for the handoff to happen. That was annoying.

Okay, there was one third option:

3) bounce the handoff off his chest AS he’s being greeted in the backfield by 330 pounds of bad intentions and turn the ball over.

That wasn’t a good outcome.

I was heartened when they went right back to him afterward, and when they pitched it to him to run around the corner to score. The salute was the best thing that happened all day.

And then he just…went away in the game plan. 1 more rush in the 3rd quarter, 2 in the 4th. Of course, I think we only had 3 possessions after that TD. The Raiders just ate the clock on us, and Jay’s INT didn’t help.

But for a brief minute to start the 3rd, the Broncos were doing what they should be doing. And then we went back to long passes. At least throw the guy the ball, jeez…

~G

Hawgdriver
11-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Although Bates may call in the plays, Cutler is the trigger-man. It's up to him to decide if he thinks his man has the defender beat. His judgment and accuracy were off yesterday. He was not accurate. His receivers should have been able to make plays on some of those passes, but at least one of them could have been a pick.

Cutler went to the same dry well too often. Bates could have called in plays without the fly patterns, but it's also possible that the guys upstairs were telling him that those routes would work because in previous plays the defender was beaten. That's wild speculation.

Regardless of who takes the blame, there were too many long misses, and 0 yardage plays are tough to recover from whether it's a run or a pass.

Bronco9798
11-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Shanny approves and diagnoses every game plan. He writes the script. He can call or override any play. He's the HMFIC!! It's not all on Bates.

Simple Jaded
11-24-2008, 08:12 PM

Not only that but the receivers don't seem to understand the concept of adjusting to the ball and going up to get it at it's highest point.

Cutler has struggled at times this year, but the receivers are just as much to blame for the offenses inconsistencies, imo.......

Simple Jaded
11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Personally, I think Jeremy Bates should get the credit for that fumble. :tsk:

I wonder if that play was supposed to be a fake to Hillis and pitch to Bell around the end.......or maybe an option by Cutler to do either.

Cause one thing that gets me is how bad Hamilton seemingly got his ass kicked on that play, I don't think he put much effort into blocking his guy so maybe he was supposed to release and block on the second level.......but then again, it is Ben Hamilton, chances are good that he just got his ass kicked again.......

Bronco9798
11-24-2008, 08:24 PM
I wonder if that play was supposed to be a fake to Hillis and pitch to Bell around the end.......or maybe an option by Cutler to do either.

Cause one thing that gets me is how bad Hamilton seemingly got his ass kicked on that play, I don't think he put much effort into blocking his guy so maybe he was supposed to release and block on the second level.......

You must of heard the post game interviews. It was suppose to be a pitch to Bell. Cutler screwed up. Hillis never expected the ball.

Simple Jaded
11-24-2008, 08:28 PM
You must of heard the post game interviews. It was suppose to be a pitch to Bell. Cutler screwed up. Hillis never expected the ball.

What's his name brought it up on the 10:00-o-clock news, Reggie Rivers, I was at the game so I missed all the post game crap.

But he did get me to wondering when I watched it on my BadAss TiVo.......

Bronco9798
11-24-2008, 08:30 PM
What's his name brought it up on the 10:00-o-clock news, Reggie Rivers, I was at the game so I missed all the post game crap.

But he did get me to wondering when I watched it on my BadAss TiVo.......

How did you sit through that misery? I would of induced vomitation and spewed it everywhere. That had to be hard to sit through.

Simple Jaded
11-24-2008, 08:32 PM
How did you sit through that misery? I would of induced vomitation and spewed it everywhere. That had to be hard to sit through.

You have to vent a little, but it's not my first rodeo so I was able to take it in stride.......

Bronco9798
11-24-2008, 08:33 PM
You have to vent a little, but it's not my first rodeo so I was able to take it in stride.......

I was there for the JAX game. Losing at home is hard to take in stride for me. You're better then me.

Simple Jaded
11-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I was there for the JAX game. Losing at home is hard to take in stride for me. You're better then me.

You gotta vent while you're there, call people "Bums" and drink heavily, too.......and kicking the dog when you get home, helps.......

G_Money
11-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Hope it wasn't Nut's dog. I hear that dog is big on revenge.

~G

honz
11-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Maybe it was Cutler forcing the issue deep and not Bates. People were running short routes and getting open, but Cutler kept wanting to go deep.

MOtorboat
11-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Maybe it was Cutler forcing the issue deep and not Bates. People were running short routes and getting open, but Cutler kept wanting to go deep.

Players are robots, Honz, don't you know that. They never do what the coaches tell them not to do.

It's always the coach's fault.

Hawgdriver
11-25-2008, 01:24 AM
Shanny approves and diagnoses every game plan. He writes the script. He can call or override any play. He's the HMFIC!! It's not all on Bates.

Bates calls the plays. Shanny probably has more direct input on the scripted beginnings of halves and general strategy. He should take some blame too. I could use some blame, too, I really like it when they thrown deep (complete).