PDA

View Full Version : Defense is finally first in Denver

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2011, 09:16 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- If you played defense for the Denver Broncos, you always were on the other side of the ball.

Denver has long been an offensive-minded outfit. Until now. New Denver coach John Fox is a defensive-minded coach and Denver’s defenders are relishing the change.

“We finally have the ace card in our hand,” pass-rusher Elvis Dumervil said. “I love it.”

rest of article - http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/30563/defense-is-finally-first-in-denver

DenBronx
08-14-2011, 12:58 AM
If it was finally first then why didnt we go after Mebane?

Heck, why not even bring in Okoye? He got 2 sacks tonight and is what 23 years old? Would have been cheap and could have used the depth.

Dzone
08-14-2011, 01:35 AM
I like the sounds of this. The Raiduhz are going down on Sept 12. We should expect this team to start winning right away.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-14-2011, 07:53 AM
I like the sounds of this. The Raiduhz are going down on Sept 12. We should expect this team to start winning right away.

Even if the defense is somewhat improved, the offense has to carry some of the load, too.

If we can't figure out how to at least slow down Oakland's running game, we're going to get pounded week 1. If we can't convert on 3rd down, same thing. We did neither last year vs Oakland.

Agent of Orange
08-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Even if the defense is somewhat improved, the offense has to carry some of the load, too.

If we can't figure out how to at least slow down Oakland's running game, we're going to get pounded week 1. If we can't convert on 3rd down, same thing. We did neither last year vs Oakland.

Well, we had a run defense that was bad to begin with but it wasn't helped by having an equally bad pass defense that couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs and also by having a team that had a pass happy offense. What will be interesting is to see how much having a pass rush (at least in theory at this point) and more of a running team will help the run defense.

Last year it was a comedy of errors involving McDaniels insisting on doing things his way which also included starting two rookie offensive linemen so even if we wanted to run more, having those two rookies made it really hard. They got worked over the majority of the season.