PDA

View Full Version : Running Game by the Numbers....

vandammage13
08-12-2011, 08:33 AM
A rundown of how the running game fared with each QB:

Orton (with Moreno/McGahee): 7 Att, 40 Yds, 5.71 YPC

Tebow (with Ball/White): 12 Att, 25 Yds, 2.08 YPC

Quinn (with Minor/Johnson): 10 Att, 39 Yds, 3.9 YPC

-------------

*The numbers with Tebow do not include Tebow's rushing numbers (for the record Tebow had 2 Att for 15 yds).

One thing we might be able to take away from this is that our 1st string line and RBs could be promising this year. Troubling that even with the threat of the run on that first drive that Kyle couldn't find a way to get it done (again)

Also, it is easy to see that Tebow got the least amount of help....He still fared pretty well out there, and I would love to see what he could do with some semblance of a line out there. We will be screwed if we incur any injuries on the Oline this year...

Quinn got some modest help out there from the running game, and probably made the most out of it between each of our QBs.

Jsteve01
08-12-2011, 08:40 AM
I knew it would get down to this. The reason the Broncos didn't score on the first drive wasn't all on Kyle, it's was taking a page from McD's playbook and throwing the quick fade from the one and then having a huge penalty and a tackle for loss. Sheesh look at the big picture guys. Sure Orton missed the pass to Lloyd but the rest was on his guys and McCoy

vandammage13
08-12-2011, 08:43 AM
I knew it would get down to this. The reason the Broncos didn't score on the first drive wasn't all on Kyle, it's was taking a page from McD's playbook and throwing the quick fade from the one and then having a huge penalty and a tackle for loss. Sheesh look at the big picture guys. Sure Orton missed the pass to Lloyd but the rest was on his guys and McCoy

Yeah that was definitely a bad play call...should have just ran it in...Although in preseason we should acknowledge they are probably less concerned with scoring/winning and more concerned with practicing certain plays and I guess they though it might be a good time to practice a fade route.

Still he had 2 more chances and I didnt like what I saw on that 3rd down where Orton did what he always does and just nonchalantly threw the ball away. He's not a playmaker, and I get nauseaus watching him fail in the red zone. It's not all his fault but find a way to get it done!!

At least try, Kyle. That is all I ask...All too often he just seems too content on settling for a field goal and that is unacceptable to me.

Ravage!!!
08-12-2011, 08:43 AM
I knew it would come down to this too... judging this team based on one series in a pre-season game. I think its WAAYYYYYY premature to be guessing on anything, and WAYYYYYYY silly to be keeping stats. Its preseason. Its like keeping stats for practice.

vandammage13
08-12-2011, 08:50 AM
I knew it would come down to this too... judging this team based on one series in a pre-season game. I think its WAAYYYYYY premature to be guessing on anything, and WAYYYYYYY silly to be keeping stats. Its preseason. Its like keeping stats for practice.

I'm not passing judgement based on 1 preseason game, just made some observations based on what I saw. I dont think you can find one statement in the first post where I passed judgement on what our team WILL be...

Besides, I don't need to see anymore preseason games from Kyle to know what we have in him. I already know what he is and its not going to change.

I thought it was a little exciting that our first team looked capable of having a decent running game this year.

Northman
08-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Still he had 2 more chances and I didnt like what I saw on that 3rd down where Orton did what he always does and just nonchalantly threw the ball away. He's not a playmaker, and I get nauseaus watching him fail in the red zone. It's not all his fault but find a way to get it done!!

And this is the crux of it. I get so tired of people making excuses for the guy. Good Qb's can still get the job done down there.

Lonestar
08-12-2011, 09:02 AM
SSDD. By the same arm chair GMs

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Ravage!!!
08-12-2011, 09:05 AM

Do you even know the definition of hypocrite yet?

SSDD? Says the guy that complains about Shanahan in each and every thread.

BroncoJoe
08-12-2011, 09:06 AM

Give it a F'in rest dude.

shank
08-12-2011, 09:20 AM
moreno looked sharp out there, and the line was giving them some good holes. 2nd string line wasn't doing as well, but i am still not a fan of lance ball.

would be cool to see tebow and quinn get chances to run with the 1s at some point during pre-season, but it won't happen.

i'm with you van, it was right back to the status quo for orton, i'm just tired of the boring football that he plays. and yes, i believe there is a difference between boring football and smart football. orton is boring.

i would rather watch a young guy like tebow try his hardest and fail than watch orton throw it away or take a sack every damned time... whether it's about preserving his stats or just not having a drive to put it on the line and make a play.

i don't hate orton, i'm just totally over him and want to move on. i don't even really care if tebow isn't ready yet. we are rebuilding the whole team, i would much rather watch tebow struggle and grow than orton do the same shit he's been doing his entire career.

Jsteve01
08-12-2011, 09:26 AM
And this is the crux of it. I get so tired of people making excuses for the guy. Good Qb's can still get the job done down there.

first freaking preseason game north, one effin series the end of which was botched by the coaching staff. Sure Orton could have made a great play and scored a td, but if we run the ball with McGaheee or white on the one, we're not even having this conversation. If we don't have 12 in the huddle, we're not having this conversation. There's more than enough blame to go around.

vandammage13
08-12-2011, 09:28 AM
first freaking preseason game north, one effin series the end of which was botched by the coaching staff. Sure Orton could have made a great play and scored a td, but if we run the ball with McGaheee or white on the one, we're not even having this conversation. If we don't have 12 in the huddle, we're not having this conversation. There's more than enough blame to go around.

If I had never seen Orton play before I would give him more than just the benefit of the doubt. However, I have seen him play, and I have seen him do this same thing at least 100 times.

Just calling a spade a spade, Jsteve....

Northman
08-12-2011, 09:31 AM
first freaking preseason game north, one effin series the end of which was botched by the coaching staff.

Botched? Nothing was botched brother. Did i expect them to at least run it in on a down or two? Yea. But come on, the fade pattern in the redzone is run by every organization and good QB's get it done fade pass or not. It is just the first preseason game, but Orton's drive is a clear indication of what his problem is and has been. Im not quite sure how much more you guys will need to see to understand the limitations of Orton the QB. People need to quit using the team as an excuse for when a player just isnt that good. As with the last couple of years, Orton is fantastic between the 20's, but fails in the redzone.

shank
08-12-2011, 09:35 AM

one more series to add to an entire career of the same exact thing. orton is what he is. if he's not willing to take a chance in pre-season, when will he be?

i can't stomach anymore of his 'stiff wind' sacks, throw-aways, and check downs on 3rd downs or when there is a game to be won.

he's a "don't lose the game" quarterback. that is ALL he knows how to do, even when he needs to make a play, or when we are already losing... he is incapable of playing football any other way.

tebow is a "win the game" quarterback. he is going to do everything he can all the time, and at times he will try to do too much and it will get him in trouble, especially with how raw of a player he is at this point.

but give me a choice, and it's a no-brainer.

(quinn in the wild card. he looked BAD last year, and haven't seen him at all this year {didn't get to watch the game} but i'd absolutely rather have him playing than orton too).

vandammage13
08-12-2011, 09:42 AM
one more series to add to an entire career of the same exact thing. orton is what he is. if he's not willing to take a chance in pre-season, when will he be?

i can't stomach anymore of his 'stiff wind' sacks, throw-aways, and check downs on 3rd downs or when there is a game to be won.

Hell, Orton even played it safe in the team scrimmage when he couldn't even get hit!! The guy slid on third and goal as soon as someone got near him.

He wont even take a chance when he can't get hit...I want the guy who's gonna give it all he has every play. Hard work beats talent, and Hard work especially beats a no talent ass clown.

Jsteve01
08-12-2011, 09:42 AM

he's a "don't lose the game" quarterback. that is ALL he knows how to do, even when he needs to make a play, or when we are already losing... he is incapable of playing football any other way.

tebow is a "win the game" quarterback. he is going to do everything he can all the time, and at times he will try to do too much and it will get him in trouble, especially with how raw of a player he is at this point.

but give me a choice, and it's a no-brainer.

(quinn in the wild card. he looked BAD last year, and haven't seen him at all this year {didn't get to watch the game} but i'd absolutely rather have him playing than orton too).

I will admit that at this point I'd really like to seen Quinn get a shot because he's got a blend of skill sets between Orton and Tebow.

I thought Timmy looked pretty good out there last night and you have to love his fire. That's what I really love about him. That fire is contagious.

vandammage13
08-12-2011, 09:44 AM
I will admit that at this point I'd really like to seen Quinn get a shot because he's got a blend of skill sets between Orton and Tebow.

I thought Timmy looked pretty good out there last night and you have to love his fire. That's what I really love about him. That fire is contagious.

I wouldn't be as excited with Quinn over Tebow, but given the choice between just Orton and Quinn, I'm willing to take Quinn at this point...

BroncoAV06
08-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Breaking down the first pre-season game with a shortened off season, priceless.

underrated29
08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
You know its funny I would rather start Quinn now instead of orton too...its not that I think we can win more with him its the fact that orton is like watching an old man cross the street.....

I really can't/ don't want to take it anymore..

Did you guys see that spin move knowshin put on that guy who hit him right as he git the handled....Sexy!--like the giants game

LordTrychon
08-12-2011, 10:19 AM

Do you have any empirical data to back your thesis, sir?

Ravage!!!
08-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Do you have any empirical data to back your thesis, sir?

Wait... is this HammeredOut in disguise?

MOtorboat
08-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Interesting, I thought this was going to be about the running game, which looked really good on the first drive...

Who knew...

Lonestar
08-12-2011, 10:28 AM

Watch out logical thought not allowed here.

If your not hatin your just wrong And ostracized.

Good post.

Lonestar
08-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Breaking down the first pre-season game with a shortened off season, priceless.

Right on. Hit this one out if the park.

Do not let them run you off.

Lonestar
08-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Interesting, I thought this was going to be about the running game, which looked really good on the first drive...

Who knew...

Yep.
I look at it this way mc coy/fox was looking for the quick change up.

Run run run run quick pass to catch them off guard.

Had they made the TD with the pass

Everyone would hail it as a brilliant move.

Well not everyone most this that hate Orton would stil find something to bitch about.
Or better yet would have called it a lousy pass that Lloyd make a great play on.

Ravage!!!
08-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Watch out logical thought not allowed here.

If your not hatin your just wrong And ostracized.

Good post.

Do you even read your own posts??? :confused:

underrated29
08-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Yep.
I look at it this way mc coy/fox was looking for the quick change up.

Run run run run quick pass to catch them off guard.

Had they made the TD with the pass

Everyone would hail it as a brilliant move.

Well not everyone most this that hate Orton would stil find something to bitch about.
Or better yet would have called it a lousy pass that Lloyd make a great play on.

I am pretty sure orton and changed the play at the line of scrimmage

Agent of Orange
08-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Hell, Orton even played it safe in the team scrimmage when he couldn't even get hit!! The guy slid on third and goal as soon as someone got near him.

He wont even take a chance when he can't get hit...I want the guy who's gonna give it all he has every play. Hard work beats talent, and Hard work especially beats a no talent ass clown.

Like I said earlier, he's trying to Milli Vanilli his way through the preseason.

Bosco
08-12-2011, 05:35 PM

Orton missed the first pass. He had Lloyd open for that fade. The second play had a route combination that looked strangely out of place for the goal line. The third one Orton was just overly cautious.

Agent of Orange
08-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Orton missed the first pass. He had Lloyd open for that fade. The second play had a route combination that looked strangely out of place for the goal line. The third one Orton was just overly cautious.

When Orton is at the goal line, it's hard to check down because he cant rely on defenders being 10-20 yards downfield. Seeing all those defenders so close to what would normally be checkdowns causes him to short-circuit.

Lonestar
08-12-2011, 10:37 PM
I am pretty sure orton and changed the play at the line of scrimmage

ANd if that is true, had he made the catch Y'all would have been bitching that the WR made the play..

shank
08-13-2011, 08:42 AM
ANd if that is true, had he made the catch Y'all would have been bitching that the WR made the play..

and if anyone had posted anything different you would be bitching that they posted what they posted.