PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Questions

OB
11-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Im trying to do some research - i want to get my son the PS3 for xmas - we've always been playstation people so its not a question of which system - plus my brother has the Wii - I also have a PSP and with the little digging ive been doing i see that u can DL games to the PS3 and transfer to the PSP

My biggest concern is the PS3 playing PS2 games (since he has all PS2 games and the games being 50-75 he aint gettin alot of new ones soon)

I see that some PS3's are compatible and others are not?

How do you make sure you get one that is for sure compatible

Whats about the size 60 vs 80? how much should i worry about that?

Retired_Member_001
11-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Im trying to do some research - i want to get my son the PS3 for xmas - we've always been playstation people so its not a question of which system - plus my brother has the Wii - I also have a PSP and with the little digging ive been doing i see that u can DL games to the PS3 and transfer to the PSP

My biggest concern is the PS3 playing PS2 games (since he has all PS2 games and the games being 50-75 he aint gettin alot of new ones soon)

I see that some PS3's are compatible and others are not?

How do you make sure you get one that is for sure compatible

Whats about the size 60 vs 80? how much should i worry about that?

I'm here and happy to help.

First of all, most of the PS3 systems aren't backwards compatable (meaning, they can't play PS2 games). I think the 60GB CAN play PS2 games, but I thought they were discontinued. Well, it may be different in America, but in England they were discontinued to make way for the 80GB. I know 100% that the 80GB CANNOT play PS2 games, simply because I have the 80GB :D.

If you have a link, send me which one you are looking at, and I'll find out for you.

As for the size, I will be STUPIFIED if your son EVER manages to fill up 60GB. The size makes little difference. Secondly, even if he DOES manage to fill it up (which he won't), you can upgrade PS3 hardrives fairly easily.

What I found is that the 80GB was only £10 more expensive than the smaller size, so I obviously went for the larger size.

There is a new 160GB out, but that is just ridiculous in size.

OB
11-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Why arent they compatible - i did notice it looked as though the older 60gb were - i mean if he cant play his old games why wouldnt i just go buy a different system? Are they retarded?

Do you know anything about the hook up between PS3 and PSP?

PS - I knew i could count on you wookie - thanks :hug:

OB
11-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Why arent they compatible - i did notice it looked as though the older 60gb were - i mean if he cant play his old games why wouldnt i just go buy a different system? Are they retarded?

OB
11-23-2008, 02:08 PM
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/Comparison

Looks like the 80gb motorstorm pack is what i may go with - PSP, PS1 and PS2 games - which covers all my needs and then some - i think it will be cool to finally get some decent games for my PSP

Retired_Member_001
11-23-2008, 02:09 PM

Why aren't they compatible? You'll have to ask Sony. :D

Simple as, eventually the new PS3 games will dominate your sons gaming life. Of course, if he has a PS2 games library that large, you'd like to still be able to play them.

As for buying a different system, the only other option is the 360. The 360 is cheaper, but IMO, I prefer the PS3.

As I said before, the old 60gb plays PS2 games, but I thought they were discontinued.

Just to clear things up, is the old 60gb still available?

OB
11-23-2008, 02:11 PM
what are your fav games?

Retired_Member_001
11-23-2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/Comparison

Looks like the 80gb motorstorm pack is what i may go with - PSP, PS1 and PS2 games - which covers all my needs and then some - i think it will be cool to finally get some decent games for my PSP

Not seen a backwards compatible 80gb, but yah, I'd go for that.

As for the PSP connection, it's very easy.

OB
11-23-2008, 02:13 PM
prolly on ebay

on the ps site i see the 40 and 80

Retired_Member_001
11-23-2008, 02:14 PM
what are your fav games?

I mostly like the sports games, but MGS4 was the best game ever!

Go to www.gamespot.com to read up on games.

You'll get reviews for them and everything.

Retired_Member_001
11-23-2008, 02:15 PM
prolly on ebay

on the ps site i see the 40 and 80

You thinking 60gb?

Retired_Member_001
11-23-2008, 02:19 PM
You thinking 60gb?

I'd suggest going for the 80gb if you can get a backwards compatible one, if it's not that much more expensive.

If it is more expensive, then there's the 60 is fine.

OB
11-23-2008, 02:33 PM
well that link has the info on that bundle but the site doesnt sell it - im reading the forums and it looks as though sony is doing away with b/c :tsk:

prolly still gonna get it for my son but not sure if my friend will get it for his if its not b/c - he doesnt have internet and wouldnt allow him to do that anyways (hes 11) and the kid wants a Wii - so if u have to keep the ps2 anyways why not go with the Wii

this is where sony is making a mistake and losing business - alot of parents buy their kids the latest systems not cause their kids are big gamers or anything but cause its something to buy but to these ppl b/c could be a deciding factor

Reidman
11-23-2008, 02:57 PM
PS3 60gb is compatible w/ ps2 games, at least mine is. The newer versions might have omitted the backwards capability chip set. This would the reason to go with the 60gb model. If all you do is play games on it, you don't need any more storage than that.

Sony is weird that way, everything is proprietary with them. That's why their Ericsson phones will not except standard micro memory cards.

Den21vsBal19
11-23-2008, 05:31 PM
The old 60 gig was backwards compatible because Sony shoe-horned a PS2 hardware engine into.............................fortunately that's the one that I managed to get last year for James ;)

I had heard that Sony were working on a software emulator for backwards compatability, but I wasn't sure if it had been released yet..

And because of music/video (it plays DivX!!! :rockon: ) & pictures it's not beyond the realms that a 60 gig could get filled, esecially if you get Play TV for it as well

Retired_Member_001
11-23-2008, 06:30 PM
The old 60 gig was backwards compatible because Sony shoe-horned a PS2 hardware engine into.............................fortunately that's the one that I managed to get last year for James ;)

I had heard that Sony were working on a software emulator for backwards compatability, but I wasn't sure if it had been released yet..

And because of music/video (it plays DivX!!! :rockon: ) & pictures it's not beyond the realms that a 60 gig could get filled, esecially if you get Play TV for it as well

I was assuming OB's son would use it for Gaming purposes only.

Still, I strongly doubt it could get filled up.

Reidman
11-23-2008, 07:17 PM

Yeah if it's getting used for those things then 60g's would go fast. Hell I have an 80g ipod that's completely filled. But for gaming and game data storage only, the 60 is more than enough. However I think you're right that the newer version 60g's are no longer backwards compatible.

At any rate like Wookie was saying, once you play the ps3 games, you won't ever look at another ps2 game. I played ps2 games on my system only once since I've owned it.

Scarface
11-23-2008, 07:59 PM
The reason I heard the newer models aren't backwards compatible is because Sony is trying to cut production costs. Honestly once you play PS3 games you won't want to look at PS2 graphics anymore. At least that's how I am. The PS3 graphics are just so sick.

Shazam!
11-23-2008, 11:44 PM
I am with you Scar. Though I have a 360 and play PS3 at my bro's extensively.

Once you upgrade, you cannot go back. I look at a PS2 screen and I cringe.

Man, gamers are so spoiled nowadays.

OB
11-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Well they ARENT making ANY of their PS3's b/c anymore -

i thought if you put a PS2 game in a PS3 the graphics were better (not as good as the 3 games but butter than on a 2 system :whoknows: )

You can go to a game stop and get a refurbished 60 that is still b/c for like 450

im checking ebay - although many will think im nuts - but i got my PSP on there (for like 1/2 price) and never have had a problem with it - also got my laptop for $300 and no problem with it either

My son will only use it for gaming - so im not worried about the space - although he may get nuts with the songs - reading the PS forums yesterday it seems you can add memory quite easily - some dude made his like 300+GB :eek: and said there are option to take it to 1T

He puts everything on there though - songs, games, pics, videos, etc

All i know is i hope he has a backup - cause IMHO i wouldnt think over a long time that it would be that reliable - every gaming system ive ever seen or known wear out at some point - way faster than a computer

And b/c is almost a necessity for me cause he has a lot of PS2 games and till his ass gets a job i cant afford to buy him new games for the PS3 - although i guess you can play online and still buy PS1 games from the PSN store - and they are like only $5

Our all time favorite was the original crash bandicoot - loved that game

He likes the sport and racing games the best - then the army/fighting like games

Plus we can do the whole PSP hook up deal so even if i cant get a b/c unit i will still get him a PS3

Reidman
11-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Does your son still have a PS2? It's not uncommon nowadays to have two gaming units to play individual games. If you really don't want to part with the ps2 games just leave that one hooked up and he can play them all.

Also, you might be confusing upscaling DVD's with upgrade in ps2 game graphics. As far as I know ps3 will not upscale the games but they will however upscale a standard (non blu-ray) DVD to achieve better quality. I popped Final Fantasy in thinking the same thing you are and was highly disappointed because now the game looked "blockier" than ever. More pixels yes, but it highlights every square detail, not what the original game is capable of.

So at any rate you're probably better off keeping the ps2 for those games and use the ps3 for all other things...

OB
11-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Does your son still have a PS2? It's not uncommon nowadays to have two gaming units to play individual games. If you really don't want to part with the ps2 games just leave that one hooked up and he can play them all.

Also, you might be confusing upscaling DVD's with upgrade in ps2 game graphics. As far as I know ps3 will not upscale the games but they will however upscale a standard (non blu-ray) DVD to achieve better quality. I popped Final Fantasy in thinking the same thing you are and was highly disappointed because now the game looked "blockier" than ever. More pixels yes, but it highlights every square detail, not what the original game is capable of.

So at any rate you're probably better off keeping the ps2 for those games and use the ps3 for all other things...

Good to know - that makes a huge difference actually - thanks :salute:

Yeah his ps2 is still running good - well his friend gave him his PS2 slim when he got the PS3 last year for xmas (so his is b/c) and the little brat is such a little brat - you should hear the way he talks to his mom - :tsk::tsk: and gets this crap for xmas - he was over this weekend and on the phone with his mom being all rude - i was like dude if I was your mom i would totally whoop your ass - seriously - he just laughs cause he knows its true - bubba would never ever get away with talking to me like that - every male in his life would be so far up his butt he wouldnt poop for a week :lol:

Buff
11-24-2008, 02:48 PM
The PS3 is a no-brainer because it can double as your blu-ray DVD player too...

I wouldn't worry too much about backward compatability... Your son(s) won't ever want to play the old PS2 games once they upgrade, plus like reid said, you've got your ps2 for that anyway...

OB
11-24-2008, 02:51 PM
The PS3 is a no-brainer because it can double as your blu-ray DVD player too...

I wouldn't worry too much about backward compatability... Your son(s) won't ever want to play the old PS2 games once they upgrade, plus like reid said, you've got your ps2 for that anyway...

That definitely seems to be the general consensus - although he told me he would prefer a b/c - so maybe i'll get lucky - yeah right :rolleyes: like that ever happens :lol:

EastCoastBronco
11-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Did they take the b/c out of the 80GB? I got my 80GB last January and it plays all my old PS2 games just fine.
Although I love the new games I still play my Tomb Raiders, Resident Evils, Silent Hills and God of War every now and then.

OB
11-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Did they take the b/c out of the 80GB? I got my 80GB last January and it plays all my old PS2 games just fine.
Although I love the new games I still play my Tomb Raiders, Resident Evils, Silent Hills and God of War every now and then.

Yes - i believe as of June 08 they no longer will make any PS3's b/c :mad:

Do any of you guys have problems with your PS3 overheating? If so is this a fixable problem?

Reidman
11-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Yes - i believe as of June 08 they no longer will make any PS3's b/c :mad:

Do any of you guys have problems with your PS3 overheating? If so is this a fixable problem?

Mine gets pretty damn warm when it's been on for about 4-6 hrs. Just make sure you don't stick it in a cabinet or confined space. It has plenty of vents so I'm not to worried about the heat issue...it's a good hand warmer on a frosty night...:lol:

Shazam!
11-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Mine gets pretty damn warm when it's been on for about 4-6 hrs. Just make sure you don't stick it in a cabinet or confined space. It has plenty of vents so I'm not to worried about the heat issue...it's a good hand warmer on a frosty night...:lol:

Invest in a Cooler. I have a platform/stand-type one for the 360.

They sell an L-shaped one for PS3. Small little investment to protect it from high temps.