PDA

View Full Version : The Lost Art of NFL Tackling

Den21vsBal19
11-23-2008, 04:53 AM
Pretty good article out of the Post...............

I was watching the 78 AFCCG on DVD the other night, and the tackling was a different planet to what we see to day :tsk:

Former Broncos linebacker Randy Gradishar says today's pro players lack fundamentals.
By Jim Armstrong (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11052524)
The Denver Post
Updated: 11/23/2008 12:55:24 AM

If anybody knows a little about tackling, it's Randy Gradishar.

Back in the days of the Orange Crush, Gradishar was your basic tackling machine. During one five-year span, from 1977-81, he averaged 250 tackles per season, including a franchise-record 286 in 1978, when the NFL expanded its season from 14 games to 16.

So what does the Broncos Ring of Famer think of the state of tackling in today's NFL? He thinks it's broken, as in all those broken tackles on Sunday afternoons.

Not that Gradishar is surprised. It's pretty simple, he says. Tackling, for the most part, has become a lost art in today's NFL because players don't work on it in practice.

"The basic fundamentals have changed," Gradishar said. "We were always in full pads, and our theme was everybody get to the ball and tackle the guy. We worked on form tackling day after day. Today, they don't know what to do at practice because they don't have the pads on.
"I'm a firm believer in fundamentals. When you don't do something day after day after day, you get in a game situation and it doesn't come natural to you. These guys are literally throwing their bodies around, compared to actually grabbing on and holding on to make a tackle."

As perplexing as it might seem, NFL players missing tackles with alarming regularity, there are very specific reasons for it. The salary cap, for one. It isn't just the NFL's economic system. It doesn't just define how the league does business. It impacts how the game is played.

Full-pads two-a-days at training camp are ancient history. Today's players, unlike previous generations, come into camp in tremendous physical condition after months of organized offseason workouts. But they rarely put on full pads. Tackling is simulated, not replicated as it was in Gradishar's day.

Why? Because coaches live in constant fear of getting front-line players injured. Players who make millions in guaranteed money. Players who, given the nature of the cap, can't be replaced. It's a far cry from years ago, when megabucks signing bonuses didn't exist and players were sometimes disposed of like 15-cent razors.
"The game is changing," said Haven Moses, another Ring of Famer from the Orange Crush era. "People criticize baseball players because they don't know the fundamentals of bunting. It's the same thing. (If) you don't work on things, when game time comes, you won't be successful at it. I know why it's happening. These guys are valuable commodities."

Few if any of the NFL's 32 teams routinely wear full pads in practice. The Broncos have practiced in helmets and minimal pads since Mike Shana-han's arrival in 1995.

It was out of sheer desperation, after the team's run defense had collapsed during a recent three-game losing streak, that Shanahan took a risk and broke out the pads.

"Our rush defense was going downhill, and we felt like we had to tighten things up a bit," Shanahan said. "We improved in that area over the past few games, and we want to keep on doing it. We tackled better (at Atlanta). That's one of the reasons we put on the pads, to get better at tackling."

No practice time, no skills

Not that the risk of injuries and salary cap hits is the only explanation for shoddy tackling on game day. It's a phenomenon whose roots lie down the football food chain. College football has its own version of the cap: the 85-scholarship limit, which leaves those coaches, like their NFL counterparts, fearful of injuries. Add in restrictions on practice time and it's no wonder the state of tackling has taken a hit on Sundays.
"You come into the NFL and they expect that your high school and college coaches have taught you the art of tackling," Broncos defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban said. "But you'd be amazed at how many guys come in here and don't know. Coaches are so focused on execution and making sure everybody knows the plays, things like that get thrown out the window. A lot of learning gets lost in the NFL."

"Tackling is the worst I've ever seen it," said former Broncos coach Dan Reeves, now an NFL analyst for Westwood One radio. "The colleges have limited time in pads and they don't hit. They're scared to death to tackle, and they darn sure don't do it in the pros. Now they're talking about doing away with some preseason games. Heck, that's the only time you see a guy tackle."

Said former Dallas Cowboys personnel chief Gil Brandt, now an analyst for NFL.com: "It starts in high school. You no longer have a hundred kids out. Fifty is a big team now. With those numbers, you don't have the drills that used to take place. It's the same way in college football. With 85 players, you don't have guys out there practicing tackling drills."

It's not just that. It's not just a lack of fundamentals or practice time. If the state of tackling isn't what it used to be, it's largely because the game itself isn't. The way it's played and those who play it are drastically different from back in the day.

Evolution of the athlete

Players are bigger, faster and stronger than ever, so they're inherently more difficult to tackle. And the linemen blocking for them are bigger, faster and stronger, too, which makes getting a clean hit on a ball carrier more difficult.

When Gradishar was roaming the middle of the field, opponents routinely ran 210- to 220-pound tailbacks up the middle or outside the tackles. Today, if a tailback comes busting through the line, he's often 235, if not 245, and faster than ever, thanks to his workout-warrior ways.

"Players have evolved," Gradishar said. "There were a couple of Earl Campbell-types, guys who were 240, but most of the guys I played against were around 220. And the offensive linemen were smaller. These guys are 300-some pounds compared to 265. That's a huge influence. It's harder to get at a guy carrying the ball."

Said Brandt: "The real thing is this: 20 years ago, you didn't have Reggie Bushes on every team. The offensive guys are so good now. It's like in the NBA. You didn't have a Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James on every team. Tackling is a lost art, but it's harder to do, too."

Pass first, run second

Then there's the West Coast offense. There's no understating its impact on the state of tackling in the NFL. The widespread use of the offense has rendered tailbacks with fewer off-tackle carries than they once had. Case in point: The Broncos' Super Bowl team of 1977 attempted 523 runs and 314 passes. Thirty years later, Shanahan's Broncos threw 515 passes and ran 429 times.

The pass sets up the run in today's game, not vice versa. The running game in 2008 often is an afterthought, a means to chew up the clock after the passing game has produced a lead. Today's coaches try to get the ball to a relatively new breed of receivers, players who are bigger and tougher to tackle than wideouts from years past. Exhibit A: 6-foot-4, 230-pound Brandon Marshall compared to Moses, who at 6-2, 205 was one of the biggest receivers of his generation.

It started with Bill Walsh. He was the one who envisioned in the 1980s that Jerry Rice could catch a 5-yard pass, break a tackle and turn it into a 60-yard touchdown. Next thing you knew, the YAC (Yards After Catch) stat was born, along with a new generation of "cover" corners, who, by their very definition, are paid to run with receivers, not tackle them.

"It's a new dimension of the game," Moses said. "It's all about matchups. That's what the West Coast offense has evolved into. They want that big receiver catching the ball in space and trying to break a tackle. It's just an extended handoff, but everyone is doing it. Look at all those college receivers. They're breeding these guys now.

"That's what the running game used to be. The way the game used to be played, you wore down your running back. They would take such a pounding, you couldn't depend on their durability, their longevity. That's why you're seeing wide receivers as the focal point of your offense."

Wideouts, tailbacks, tight ends . . . it doesn't matter, said Broncos cornerback Dre Bly. Tackling in today's NFL is more challenging than ever.

"Guys are going to miss tackles in this league," Bly said. "Those guys get paid to make us miss just like we get paid to tackle them.

"And guys are so big now. Look at Michael Turner," Bly said, referring to Atlanta's 5-10, 244-pound running back. "He seems like a little bowling ball, he's so big. Our job isn't easy, bringing those guys down, but that's the way it is today in this league."

Jim Armstrong: 303-954-1269 or jmarmstrong@denverpost.com

Bronco Bible
11-23-2008, 09:23 AM
When I lived in Denver, I used to listen to a sports talk show with Irv Brown.... he always said Nebraska was the best tackling team,because in practice they "took them to the ground"

haroldthebarrel
11-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Both tackling and basic containment seems to be worse each year.

In fact, you look at our defense and if you pay attention to the details we are simply better in both cathegories. Not great, but you watch teams like the Giants and Titans and others and they are always playing heady.

There is a reason Bill Bellichicks mantra is "Do your job", and as soon as team learn to contain instead of guessing his teammate will miss, the whole defense plays better.
That is also in my opinion one of the reason how come the team becomes better than its parts.

lex
11-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Pretty good article out of the Post...............

I was watching the 78 AFCCG on DVD the other night, and the tackling was a different planet to what we see to day :tsk:

That was a really good article. Good find. But there were a couple of things worth pointing out. I really dont think the RBs are that much faster than, say, 10-15 years ago. Theyre bigger, sure and so are the OLinemen, but so too are the MLBs. If Gradishare would play today, he would likely weigh more than what he played at.

Another factor for the lack of tackling is the highlight reel. Guys can make SC by blowing up a guy rather than making a safer, sounder, better tackle.

That segment of the article that discusses Denver breaking out the pads has me a little worried that this will get credit for what happened in Atlanta more than what Larsen did. I cringe that there might be the assumption that Webster would have done as well had he practiced with the pads too.

haroldthebarrel
11-23-2008, 11:08 AM
That was a really good article. Good find. But there were a couple of things worth pointing out. I really dont think the RBs are that much faster than, say, 10-15 years ago. Theyre bigger, sure and so are the OLinemen, but so too are the MLBs. If Gradishare would play today, he would likely weigh more than what he played at.

Another factor for the lack of tackling is the highlight reel. Guys can make SC by blowing up a guy rather than making a safer, sounder, better tackle.

That segment of the article that discusses Denver breaking out the pads has me a little worried that this will get credit for what happened in Atlanta more than what Larsen did. I cringe that there might be the assumption that Webster would have done as well had he practiced with the pads too.

I disagree with you there. Larsen and WW played great, but as a team the defense just play smarter. And by that I really mean players that have played all year.

I think risking injuries and play in pads was a stroke of genious. Almost all of the big plays were results of bad execution more so than schemes with the exception of playing the cbs off. Especially when both Bly and Paymah excels in man coverage/bump but are not that great in zone/off coverage.
Heck, I still cringe when I think of Larry Johnsons big run as the defender would have tackled him in the backfield had he just contained.

lex
11-23-2008, 11:13 AM
I disagree with you there. Larsen and WW played great, but as a team the defense just play smarter. And by that I really mean players that have played all year.

Youre not disagreeing.

I agree its more Larsen than it is the pads, but Im worried that would be the prevailing thought when it comes to a decision of whether or not to let Larsen start once Webster returns.

haroldthebarrel
11-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Youre not disagreeing.

I agree its more Larsen than it is the pads, but Im worried that would be the prevailing thought when it comes to a decision of whether or not to let Larsen start once Webster returns.

Am I not disagreeing? How come?

lex
11-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Am I not disagreeing? How come?

Perhaps its because youre disagreeing just to disagree?

Actually, I like Larsen more at MLB, like you. But I was expressing concern that the perception will exist that its more the practicing in pads that is the reason for the improved play at Atlanta and not so much Larsen playing instead of Webster.

You, it seems, focused on my concern and not my actual opinion that it was a credit to Larsen.

Oy vey.

BroncoJoe
11-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Hire him today as a LB coach, Broncos.

tia.

haroldthebarrel
11-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Well you said the insertion of Larsen had more to do with it than the full pads tackling and I disagreed.
I think both moves were excellent, and in many ways they are probably inseparable, but in the end I saw players that didnt tackle or contain well do just that so I chose the latter.

lex
11-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Well you said the insertion of Larsen had more to do with it than the full pads tackling and I disagreed.
I think both moves were excellent, and in many ways they are probably inseparable, but in the end I saw players that didnt tackle or contain well do just that so I chose the latter.

No, that was not my opinion. I was expressing concern that this opinion would exist in the minds of others.

Superchop 7
11-23-2008, 12:36 PM
I saw the same game.

Thought the same thing.

haroldthebarrel
11-23-2008, 12:38 PM
No, that was not my opinion. I was expressing concern that this opinion would exist in the minds of others.

Oh, then I misunderstood you and you are obviously right that it was a feigned argument of mine.

gobroncsnv
11-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Shanny also said that a side benefit of tackling drills was that our ball carriers are going to get better at protecting the ball. The turn-around in turnovers can help our season take a turn for the better. This move is a win-win.

Nomad
11-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Shanny also said that a side benefit of tackling drills was that our ball carriers are going to get better at protecting the ball. The turn-around in turnovers can help our season take a turn for the better. This move is a win-win.

Tackling drills should be done by the whole team! IMO, it's the #1 fundamental of football. You have a TO on offense they need to know how to tackle and I tell the youngsters I coach and what my HS coach's philosophy was! Football, in general (hs, college, and pro), has lost alot of it's fundamentals in every aspect of the game. I got mocked in the gameday thread one day because it irritates me to see players catch the ball with the body and not the hands.

haroldthebarrel
11-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Tackling drills should be done by the whole team! IMO, it's the #1 fundamental of football. You have a TO on offense they need to know how to tackle and I tell the youngsters I coach and what my HS coach's philosophy was! Football, in general (hs, college, and pro), has lost alot of it's fundamentals in every aspect of the game. I got mocked in the gameday thread one day because it irritates me to see players catch the ball with the body and not the hands.

Thats true. I always get annoyed with the big hits even when they dont wrap up. Regardless whether they make the tackle or not.

And defensive lines like ours who with the youngsters I have yet to see any of them beside Elvis having learned some fundamental moves.
Remembering how impressed I was with Singletary at the senior bowl when he taught the guys the basic fundamentals.

Nomad
11-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Speaking of tackling, the Titans have forgotten how to tackle today. If the Jets play as good as they are today and knowing how the BRONCOS tackle, it could be a long game next Sunday for the BRONCOS!

GEM
11-24-2008, 12:01 PM
When I lived in Denver, I used to listen to a sports talk show with Irv Brown.... he always said Nebraska was the best tackling team,because in practice they "took them to the ground"

Love Irv Brown. He coached my bosses baseball team at CU. Can't stand his partner Joe...flip flopper from hell.

horsepig
11-25-2008, 12:47 AM
C'mon, Gem, you don't like "the voice of reason"? I love Irv, hell, everybody loves Irv.

frenchfan
11-25-2008, 03:03 AM
I think that even though players have evolved, that's not the main reason Broncos can't tackle...
There are teams who can tackle (ask Giants, Ravens, Steelers)... Why not us?

IMO tackling is about technical and will...
Anyone can remember Atwater crushing Okoye (the Nigerian Nightmare) on a goaline situation? Though he was strong, Atwater wasn't as big as Okoye but he pushed the RB away because of his technics and his WILL...

Poor excuse if you ask me.

The truth is that there will always be missed or broken tackles in the game... But you can't miss as many tackles as we do... Plain and simple...

Bronco4ever
11-25-2008, 03:28 AM
"Guys are going to miss tackles in this league," Bly said.

Did anybody laugh when they read this part of the article? That is expert analysis! :lol:

frenchfan
11-25-2008, 06:48 AM
"Guys are going to miss tackles in this league," Bly said.

Did anybody laugh when they read this part of the article? That is expert analysis! :lol:No offense, but I think you've misquoted the sentence... here is the real one : "Blys are going to miss tackles in this league"... :laugh: :rofl:

Anyway, that's true... Missed or broken tackles are part of the game...
The problem for Broncos is that poor tackling is not just PART of the game :tsk: :D

Nomad
11-30-2008, 01:34 PM
I know I've been away from the game since 90, but when has stripping the ball become more important than tackling the receiver. Watching Giants game now! I guess tackling has become the lost art!