PDA

View Full Version : TV Announcers

MileHiWildcat
08-11-2011, 09:16 PM
These guys suck. Masters of telling us the obvious. Clear hate for Tebow combined with slobbering love of Orton.

Ravage!!!
08-11-2011, 09:19 PM
yeah.. complete conspiracy.

Buff
08-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Dave Logan has been calling games longer than you have been alive. They're doing a fine job.

Tned
08-11-2011, 09:24 PM
These guys suck. Masters of telling us the obvious. Clear hate for Tebow combined with slobbering love of Orton.

Cowboys or Broncos announcers?

Northman
08-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Not all announcers are great, some have biases but im a little surprised that some diehard Tebow fans dont have thicker skin. Pretty embarrassing really.

BeefStew25
08-11-2011, 09:27 PM
The Cowboy announcers are brutal.

camdisco24
08-11-2011, 09:29 PM
The only time they went a little far was when one of them starting railing Tebow for being inaccurate in warm ups... he just went on too long and made Tebow sound like garbage. Other than that... they've been good. They def are bias toward the Cowboys, but they are on the cowboy network so.....

Buff
The Cowboy announcers are brutal.

Normally you get the local slapdick sports anchors for preseason... We got lucky to get Logan/Griese doing the radio/tv simulcast.

BeefStew25
They hammered him and them he throws a perfect pass to Willis.

BeefStew25
08-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Normally you get the local slapdick sports anchors for preseason... We got lucky to get Logan/Griese doing the radio/tv simulcast.

I think those guys go a good job. Griese is good about critiquing, but he isn't a total dick about it.

BroncoStud
08-11-2011, 09:32 PM
If anyone has heard Dan Reeves call a game on ESPN Radio then these guys will seem like Al Michaels in comparison.

Buff
08-11-2011, 09:34 PM
I think those guys go a good job. Griese is good about critiquing, but he isn't a total dick about it.

So he is the opposite of Steve Young?

MOtorboat
08-11-2011, 09:59 PM
I hope you're talking about the Cowboys announcers, because if not, on behalf of all NFL fans...Get out.

BroncoStud
08-11-2011, 10:05 PM
I hope you're talking about the Cowboys announcers, because if not, on behalf of all NFL fans...Get out.

Have to be... The announcing is THAT bad, but it could certainly be better. I was hoping to get Broncos announcers but it's blacked out on NFL.com.

BeefStew25
08-11-2011, 10:18 PM
So he is the opposite of Steve Young?

He will mention issues he had, so he doesn't come off as being a know it all.

Last year I listened to him on Sirius with my engine running in my garage with the door down. My wife kept saving me.

His legacy will improve over time because he was kinda clueless, but not a dick.

MileHiWildcat
08-11-2011, 11:03 PM

Oh come on. Griese is an absolute tool.

sneakers
08-11-2011, 11:59 PM
I was stuck with a dallas cowboys broadcast on the internet.

Ravage!!!
08-18-2011, 12:59 PM
I love listening to Steve Young.

NightTerror218
08-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Some of the old players are the worst because they talk about how great they were and how they would be playing better if it was them in the game.

Ravage!!!
08-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Some of the old players are the worst because they talk about how great they were and how they would be playing better if it was them in the game.

and they probably would be.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-18-2011, 01:34 PM

Joe Theisman anyone?

:laugh:

BigDaddyBronco
08-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Joe Theisman anyone?

:laugh:

Thiesman, Madden, and Dick Enberg in the same booth....

I would shove an ice pick in my ear drums.

vandammage13
08-18-2011, 01:42 PM
No one hurts my ears more than Dan Dierdorf

Dreadnought
08-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Tony Kornholio is hands down the worst ever. No comparison. Pat Haden used to be awful, but its been years since I suffered through one of his broadcasts. Think Theismann only dumber and more abrasive.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Next time I see a broadcast with Troy Aikman I'm gonna count how many times he uses the phrase, "when I was with the Cowboys".

:throwrock:

BORDERLINE
08-18-2011, 02:10 PM
They hammered him and them he throws a perfect pass to Willis.

Yeah i checked that out also. After Tebow threw that pass nothing but silence filled the booth. The one announcer said Tebow was totally inaccurate in warm ups and it was the worst he has seen from any QB in the NFL. Tebow shut him up. Bias they where but no need to be condescending.

vandammage13
08-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Yeah i checked that out also. After Tebow threw that pass nothing but silence filled the booth. The one announcer said Tebow was totally inaccurate in warm ups and it was the worst he has seen from any QB in the NFL. Tebow shut him up. Bias they where but no need to be condescending.

Yeah...It's not really the criticism of Tebow that irks me, its just how over the top some of it is...

I mean its one thing to say that Tebow won't make it in this league, but worst QB he's ever seen??? C'mon man I don't believe that for a second. Think of all the jobbers that have been in and out of the league over the years. When I heard that guy say that I was just shaking my head.

It was kind of satisfying that they shut up after that pass, though.

BORDERLINE
08-18-2011, 02:59 PM
It was kind of satisfying that they shut up after that pass, though.

I truly believe some people just read the headlines and they don't really see the games Tebow has played in. Sure most Broncos fans know a Matt Ryan he is not and a lot of us understand to be a SB team we need that type of QB. I just, in my opinion, those announcer where talking about Tebow just like a kris Jenkins would talk about Tebow on a morning sports show. They probably never seen the last three Broncos games and have not seen him make those throws. They where merely going off of camp reports. So when he did throw that ball with accuracy into double coverage they where like "What the F***". And couldn't think of nothing to say.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-18-2011, 03:03 PM
The announcers for Saturday's game for the broadcast on ch9 in the Denver area will be Verne Lundquist and Alfred Williams

Buff
08-18-2011, 05:41 PM
The announcers for Saturday's game for the broadcast on ch9 in the Denver area will be Verne Lundquist and Alfred Williams

Alfred Williams?!

Super nice guy, but he is painful to listen to on 1043 the fan. And they're pairing him with Verne Lundquist? Lundquist is like a hall of fame broadcaster, whereas Alfred Williams has yet to master the English language. Train wreck waiting to happen.

That said - about the only time Alfred speaks coherently on The Fan is when he's talking about football, so maybe he'll be better sticking to football than he is trying to do a talk show about all sports.

vandammage13
08-19-2011, 08:21 AM
So I'm watching the Pitt/Philly preseason game last night, and during the halftime show they had this little segment on all the quarterback moves that occured this offseason.

It touched on the failed KO trade and went on to say something like "Orton is the starter again and Tim Tebow is the backup...and maybe for good reason." They then proceeded to show Tim's lone incompletion from the Dallas game.

Look, I'm not a conspiracy theorist guy, but that was an obvious slant on Tebow's performance. The guy had one incompletion that game and that is the clip they show to support their "Maybe for good reason" comment....

Some objective reporting would be nice.....It was like watching MSNBC.

BroncoJoe
08-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Alfred Williams?!

Super nice guy, but he is painful to listen to on 1043 the fan. And they're pairing him with Verne Lundquist? Lundquist is like a hall of fame broadcaster, whereas Alfred Williams has yet to master the English language. Train wreck waiting to happen.

That said - about the only time Alfred speaks coherently on The Fan is when he's talking about football, so maybe he'll be better sticking to football than he is trying to do a talk show about all sports.

You're racist. :shocked:

I love listening to Alfred. I'm not looking for him to break down the composition of an atom. It's entertainment.

Buff
08-19-2011, 09:00 AM

I love listening to Alfred. I'm not looking for him to break down the composition of an atom. It's entertainment.

He is obnoxious - doesn't know when to shut up, asks bad questions, tells too many personal stories that no one cares about... I really dislike Alfred Williams the broadcaster.

BroncoJoe
08-19-2011, 09:33 AM
He is obnoxious - doesn't know when to shut up, asks bad questions, tells too many personal stories that no one cares about... I really dislike Alfred Williams the broadcaster.

You're way too uptight.

PAINTERDAVE
08-19-2011, 09:37 AM

You make wild accusations that dont seem based in fact.

Throwing out that label so often when unfounded...
has made the word lose it's intensity, meaning and power.

Good job.. you are helping dilute our language.

Buff
08-19-2011, 09:38 AM
You're way too uptight.

No, I just don't like bad journalism.

BroncoNut
08-19-2011, 10:03 AM
You make wild accusations that dont seem based in fact.

Throwing out that label so often when unfounded...
has made the word lose it's intensity, meaning and power.

Good job.. you are helping dilute our language.

pretty sure Joe was being sarcastic PD

PAINTERDAVE
08-19-2011, 10:12 AM
pretty sure Joe was being sarcastic PD

My statement still stands...

and..

the wide eyed smiley makes it seem "shocking"...

so...
I dont know if he was kidding or not.

Words have meaning and power....
and in this day..
that one is used as a weapon so often that it has lost it's edge.

Buff
08-19-2011, 10:14 AM
My statement still stands...

and..

the wide eyed smiley makes it seem "shocking"...

so...
I dont know if he was kidding or not.

Words have meaning and power....
and in this day..
that one is used as a weapon so often that it has lost it's edge.

It's ok Painter, Joe was just busting my balls, he's much more likely to side with you than throw out random racism claims. The bigger issue here is that Joe thinks Alfred Williams is entertaining.

BroncoNut
08-19-2011, 10:16 AM
It's ok Painter, Joe was just busting my balls, he's much more likely to side with you than throw out random racism claims. The bigger issue here is that Joe thinks Alfred Williams is entertaining.

Joe needs people like me and Buff to speak for him because we know him better than he knows himself.

PAINTERDAVE
08-19-2011, 10:40 AM

Now THAT is funny.... lol

PAINTERDAVE
08-19-2011, 10:43 AM

lately.. I have just been around a LOT of people who..
well..
all they do is bust on others..
and their mean spirited insecurity wears me down.

Sorry to project that weariness here.

So sick of labeling and stereotyping... judgementalness.

Sorry , Joe.

BroncoNut
08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
well..

Sorry , Joe.

I find this post interesting because to me, in a post like the quoted in particular, you're the one that comes off as self righteous and judgemental

There, I said it

Nomad
08-19-2011, 11:05 AM

Alfred makes the Drive hard to listen to, but I like Schlereth.

Krugan
08-19-2011, 11:47 AM
"Man, I dont know, man, man man man..."

Thanks Alfred, for the input.

Overly nice guy, but he adds about what I typed above quite often.

PAINTERDAVE
08-20-2011, 02:13 AM
I find this post interesting because to me, in a post like the quoted in particular, you're the one that comes off as self righteous and judgemental

There, I said it

Thanks.

That's exactly what I was shooting for. :confused:

BroncoJoe
08-20-2011, 09:58 AM
well..

Sorry , Joe.

No problem. And no offense, but the only person I would worry about offending would be Buff - not you or anyone else. He knows I was doing exactly what he thought - busting his balls.

Back to Alfred, I'm not sure what you all are looking for when listening to sports talk. I want entertainment, not a global news update. It's a game, it's fun (or should be). I like Alfred because he speaks his mind and doesn't really care if it's politically correct, or artful commentary.

Refreshing.