PDA

View Full Version : hixon cut

shank
10-02-2007, 05:53 PM
just got a cbs4 text saying that domenik hixon has been cut...

now we get to see someone else fail just as miserably! hooray!

Skinny
10-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Yeah it's in Mason's Blog and they added Brian Clark. Need to try something to put a spark in the return game.

It sure needs it.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah it's in Mason's Blog and they added Brian Clark. Need to try something to put a spark in the return game.

It sure needs it.

Jeremy Bloom is available - I sure wish they would give him a try

Krugan
10-02-2007, 06:12 PM
They need to cut about 60% of the Special Teams.

Poor blocking is going to setup whomever to fail.

Oh well, next.

Astrass
10-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Morgan had some good runs, wonder why he didn't get the spot.

dogfish
10-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Morgan had some good runs, wonder why he didn't get the spot.

i agree, i'd much rather see him back there than brian clarke. . . at least morgan has some experience and some proven success, and can fill in at the #3 WR spot if javon misses another week-- morgan is hardly a star at receiver, but he has about 150 more NFL receptions than freakin' glenn martinez!

the other comments in this thread are 100% accurate, however-- unless/until the blocking improves SIGNIFICANTLY, i have serious doubts as to how effective any return man is going to be back there-- even devin hester can't make 5-7 tacklers miss without having at least a few yards of open space to start with. . . although i realize that he can't do it on his own, i'm still waiting for paul smith to show us where his reputation as a special teams "ace" came from-- we cut a good player in kyle johnson to make room for him, and so far i don't see how he was worth it. . .

xX-Bronco-Xx
10-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Finally! This kid didn't even have any speed in the return game. Times like this you'd wish you had someone like Devin Hester who is a freak of nature at that position. After he catches the ball he goes slow and then in a matter of seconds he boosts it up 5 gears into the end zone for a touchdown. :shocked:

Krugan
10-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Could this move be leading to the return of Rod Smith?

Someone had to be moved to create the roster spot.

Just tossing out an idea.

dogfish
10-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Could this move be leading to the return of Rod Smith?

Someone had to be moved to create the roster spot.

Just tossing out an idea.

maybe indirectly, but i can't see why they'd cut him two weeks before smith is eligible to return-- i'd say it's exactly what it looks like, he's been stinking it up and they decided to let someone else have a shot. . .

BigBroncLove
10-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Well, I think it's a good cut from Hixon. I was generally displeased with his level of play all around, WR, Returner, or otherwise.

TXBronc brought up Young as a returner, and I hope they give him a look. I am surprised by the re-signing of Brian Clark so quickly after he was released, but not a big deal IMO. I wonder who took MArtinez's place on the practice squad. Wether that will be Hixon or if Morgan will get a look there, or they choose to put someone from an entirely different position....

I remember what Clark had to offer last year as a returner and it wasn't much, so I am luke warm about him if he's getting a fair shake as the returner. I mean I think anything could help right now, but I don't knwo if he will offer himself as any type of answer, limited or otherwise....

Although he wasn't much of a contributer to the WR core, I'm missing Morgan, even if he wouldn't be doing anything special with this broken unit.

DenBronx
10-02-2007, 11:19 PM
two words

dante hall....he did an outstanding job in kc and helped that offense put up a ton of points. now that he's gone their return game sucks....even herm edwards said it today in his press conferance. they are struggling now, same blockers but differant returner.

now hall is with the rams who have struggled themselves in the return game until now. same blockers last year with below average results yet this year they get hall and he is still taking them to the house.

so i dont buy for one second that we need amazing blocking to at least get to the 28 yard line once in a while. even if you start at the 28 and get 9 yards while going 3 and out you still see sauebrun boot the ball back in their field goal territory. this makes it harder for their offense to score points as well.

so, what did hall cost? 5th or 6th rounder? didnt we blow a 6th rounder for someone thats not on our team? yet when i brought up the thought of us getting a thread i got flamed and was told that hall was over the hill and he would never be the same....but yeah i forgot hixon is a superstar!

BaiLeY324
10-02-2007, 11:37 PM
two words

dante hall....he did an outstanding job in kc and helped that offense put up a ton of points. now that he's gone their return game sucks....even herm edwards said it today in his press conferance. they are struggling now, same blockers but differant returner.

now hall is with the rams who have struggled themselves in the return game until now. same blockers last year with below average results yet this year they get hall and he is still taking them to the house.

so i dont buy for one second that we need amazing blocking to at least get to the 28 yard line once in a while. even if you start at the 28 and get 9 yards while going 3 and out you still see sauebrun boot the ball back in their field goal territory. this makes it harder for their offense to score points as well.

so, what did hall cost? 5th or 6th rounder? didnt we blow a 6th rounder for someone thats not on our team? yet when i brought up the thought of us getting a thread i got flamed and was told that hall was over the hill and he would never be the same....but yeah i forgot hixon is a superstar!

If only Hester would have fell 4 more picks. :tsk:

Lonestar
10-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Everyone thinks that speed kills. While it is nice one has to have balls to make it work coupled with brains it is a deadly force to be reckoned with.

hixon was lost back there never knowing whether to bring it out of the EZ or fair catch the ball on the 8 yards line.

A total waste of a draft pick as well as roster spot.

Watchthemiddle
10-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Jeremy Bloom is available - I sure wish they would give him a try

Psst....me too.

We need someone who takes the ball and goes for it on every kick. THeir only purpose is to get field position or score a TD every time they come out onto the field.

I would love to see Bloom in a Broncos uni. He excelled against the best College athletes while he played and no doubt if healthy would do the same in teh NFL>

Medford Bronco
10-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Psst....me too.

We need someone who takes the ball and goes for it on every kick. THeir only purpose is to get field position or score a TD every time they come out onto the field.

I would love to see Bloom in a Broncos uni. He excelled against the best College athletes while he played and no doubt if healthy would do the same in teh NFL>

I would be happy with an occasional return to the 35 WITHOUT a fumble or making me think a fumble is coming from lack of confidence

Watchthemiddle
10-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Everyone thinks that speed kills. While it is nice one has to have balls to make it work coupled with brains it is a deadly force to be reckoned with.

hixon was lost back there never knowing whether to bring it out of the EZ or fair catch the ball on the 8 yards line.

A total waste of a draft pick as well as roster spot.

I know he was a Chief, but do you remember Tamarick Vanover? He would catch the kick/punt and go. Not too many jukes, but find a hole and go forward.

Hixon would get tackled by my 4 yo daughter.

I am not sad to see him go. Did he ever break a tackle???

Medford Bronco
10-03-2007, 12:18 AM
I know he was a Chief, but do you remember Tamarick Vanover? He would catch the kick/punt and go. Not too many jukes, but find a hole and go forward.

Agreed Hixon sucks but KC always for many years eminating from Marty has had one of the best special teams on both coverage and returning kicks.

when were we good:confused: when Darrien Gordon was here in the Super Bowl seasons

Watchthemiddle
10-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Agreed Hixon sucks but KC always for many years eminating from Marty has had one of the best special teams on both coverage and returning kicks.

when were we good:confused: when Darrien Gordon was here in the Super Bowl seasons

We Have never been too terribly good at returning kicks. Gordon was decent and we got rid of him. :confused:

Hopefully this is a sign of the coaches seeing or noting the obvious and did something about it. HIxon never showed much drive in the NFL to want to be someone special and now he is gone. ON to the next wanna be.

DenBronx
10-03-2007, 12:24 AM
some one said jeremy bloom....i brought this up the day he was cut. i dont think this is a bad idea at all....but what do i know....im just a fan. :whoknows:

Lonestar
10-03-2007, 12:25 AM

I think had he made a decent attempt to run one back might have produced a miss every so often.

dogfish
10-03-2007, 01:56 AM

think we can sign her up then? this team is in desperate need of someone who can tackle, and the coverage units need a lot of help. . .

:peep:

topscribe
10-03-2007, 06:33 AM
I was growing increasingly disenchanted with Hixon as a returner, but I
thought he was supposed to be an up and coming receiver. We'd better cross
our fingers for the health of the WRs we have now because it appears there
is no real #4.

-----

broncos9697
10-03-2007, 06:48 AM
two words

your right..I wanted hall also on the team..he ran one back last week...

dogfish
10-03-2007, 06:53 AM
I was growing increasingly disenchanted with Hixon as a returner, but I
thought he was supposed to be an up and coming receiver. We'd better cross
our fingers for the health of the WRs we have now because it appears there
is no real #4.

-----

ahh, i think (and hope, admittedly) that this is where you're wrong. . . initially i had the same concern, but i think krugan may be right that #80 is ready to return in week six-- we'll keep our fingers crossed. . .

broncos9697
10-03-2007, 08:57 AM
I think young would be a great returner if they gave him the chanch to do so..
since hixon is no longer a bronco unless he's now on the Pratice team..
do you think young can handle the job..

SR
10-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Once the ball is in Young's hands I think he would do well with the ball as a returner, but the problem is getting the ball in his hands. He has dropped two long, beautiful passes from Cutler already this year; so that's the first problem. The second problem is he is already listed as our 2nd RB on the depth chart. If Young gets clocked on a kick off return and is out for a few weeks, who do we have to back up Henry?

BroncoManiac_69
10-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Well Jay4MVP... There goes our adoptee. :ohwell:

I really liked this kid in preseason but as pointed out, his production has been less than stellar. :ahhhhh:

Can we un adopt him now? Send him back to the orphanage? :noidea:

Requiem / The Dagda
10-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I never understood why we drafted Hixon in the fourth round. To this day I still do not know if our scouts knew he had a foot injury or not, but I'd hate to say they completely missed the ball and didn't know he had one. Hixon made some good plays at Akron, but he just couldn't get it done here. He was my least favorite pick of the 2006 Draft, and coincidentally he's the first to "go" for good. (I believe.)

I don't think this is a move making room for Rod, just a move to get your best players on the field and shake it up in the return game. Clark was decent at it last year, and he did have potential as a receiver. It hurts to see a fourth-rounder go down the pisser, but that's the nature of the business.

I'll gladly take Brandon Marshall and Elvis Dumervil though, which have proven to be worth more than where they were selected.

underrated29
10-03-2007, 11:03 AM
DOgfish, you said paul smith is a special teams ace.

who is he? i have never heard of him? and who did we cut to keep him on the roster?

broncos9697
10-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Once the ball is in Young's hands I think he would do well with the ball as a returner, but the problem is getting the ball in his hands. He has dropped two long, beautiful passes from Cutler already this year; so that's the first problem. The second problem is he is already listed as our 2nd RB on the depth chart. If Young gets clocked on a kick off return and is out for a few weeks, who do we have to back up Henry?

bell back in the #2 spot

Requiem / The Dagda
10-03-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm still surprised they didn't give Selvin the opportunity to return, he has those good skills.

SM19
10-03-2007, 12:56 PM

Mike Bell is still a capable back even though he's not as talented as Young. I'm fine with the risk involved in letting Young return kicks as long as Bell is on the roster.

Too bad about Hixon, though. I was optimistic about what he could bring to this team.

underrated29
10-03-2007, 01:05 PM
you know the thing i noticed with hixon is that he was looking more to make moves and find a hole to run through.

what he should have done is just start moving his feet. running foreward. More often then not when you do that not only do you get more return yards, but it changes the angles the defenders have to take and allows for better blocking, which in turn makes big holes to run through.

there were a couple times, 2 exactley i think, that when he did start running it started to open up, but he just couldnt get passed that 1st guy to get into the hole.

hopefully brian will not dance, and just move it foreward.

NameUsedBefore
10-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah, our returnmen have to stop dancing around. I remember when Reuben Droughns was returning he'd just steam straight-ahead and would get solid chunks of yards each time. Rarely does a returnman actually get any yardage by dancing around.

ChampWJ
10-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I guess we won't be adding Hixon to the Practice Squad because the Giants claimed him today.

Medford Bronco
10-03-2007, 05:18 PM
I guess we won't be adding Hixon to the Practice Squad because the Giants claimed him today.

They can have him. He is not good

Bronco Bible
10-03-2007, 06:14 PM
'Bout time , the man may have been fast but no quick in him.:coffee:

Skinny
10-03-2007, 07:38 PM
A peice from Mason's Blog
Denver’s practice squad now stands at seven players after the Wednesday signing of preseason roster casualty Marquay McDaniel; the wide receiver and kick returner initially joined the team as an undrafted rookie from Hampton signee before being released in August.

With Hixon gone, Andre Hall is atop the depth chart at kickoff returner, while Glenn Martinez is shown as the first-team punt returner. Coincidentally, both are from the greater Tampa Bay area; Hall went to Dixie Hollins H.S. in St. Petersburg, while Martinez attended Auburndale H.S.

BigBroncLove
10-03-2007, 07:40 PM
A peice from Mason's Blog

Interesting... thanks for the post CSkinny :2thumbs:

dogfish
10-03-2007, 08:27 PM
that's kinda cool. . . i'm not sure how much experience hall has returning kicks, but he has the explosiveness to potentially be successful-- it's a good idea to find ways to get him involved. . .

broncosfanscott
10-04-2007, 02:17 AM
I was just thinking about our return game a few days ago and seriously can't remember the last time we have returned a kick at all.......kickoff or punt. I know we have never really been a shinning star at this, yet I would like to see a short field every now and then.

atwater27
08-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Bump..... Too bad we gave up so quickly on the guy....
Dude just scored 3 times in 1 quarter tonight.... 2 catches and a kick return.
Plus he was clutch for the G men during their stretch run. So embarassing to see a guy you have released do awesome with another team.

rcsodak
08-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Bump..... Too bad we gave up so quickly on the guy....
Dude just scored 3 times in 1 quarter tonight.... 2 catches and a kick return.
Plus he was clutch for the G men during their stretch run. So embarassing to see a guy you have released do awesome with another team.

I wouldn't call it 'giving up', per se....

...he was in transit from one squad to the other, and got picked up by NY. Bad luck is what it was. Shanny didn't want to lose him.

At least he'll show up as another good draft pick by shanny.... :D

Lonestar
08-18-2008, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't call it 'giving up', per se....

...he was in transit from one squad to the other, and got picked up by NY. Bad luck is what it was. Shanny didn't want to lose him.

At least he'll show up as another good draft pick by shanny.... :D

That mikey could not make work..

The list is long and undistinguished..

MOtorboat
08-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Preseason.

Krugan
08-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Hind sight is always 20/20.

Poor timing with him here in Denver, yet he hasnt cracked the top 3 in NY either.

Had the starters not been sidelined for the game, would he have had 3 scores?

I liked the kid when he was here, wish he hadnt hurt his foot, might have been another body in the mix to this day.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-18-2008, 11:32 PM
They drafted a guy out of Akron with a broken foot. Whether or not they knew he had a broken foot is beyond me. IMHO, they gave up on him too soon. Getting Royal is a blessing, but I don't think there is any doubt that they gave up on him a little too soon.

Buff
08-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Hard to wait around on small school late round draft picks that have trouble holding on to the ball and staying healthy.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Hard to wait around on small school late round draft picks to hold on to the ball and stay healthy.

It's their fault for drafting a guy with a broken foot in the first place. Mike Shanahan never came across an injury he didn't like! :cool:

Buff
08-18-2008, 11:35 PM
It's their fault for drafting a guy with a broken foot in the first place. Mike Shanahan never came across an injury he didn't like! :cool:

Cue 'the claw.'

Requiem / The Dagda
08-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Cue 'the claw.'

Dude, the list of injured players (major) that Denver have drafted is twice as long as the healthy list. Shoot, even a decent amount of the players we drafted this year were either nicked up or missed a lot of time during their collegiate careers. I don't know why they seem to have an affinity for injured players (and I'm not talking about a guy missing a game or two because of an ankle sprain, much more serious) but they have medical exams at Indianapolis for a reason and with their track record, I have a hard time believing they take them that seriously.

Couple that in with Greek and player rehabilitation, and I smell a recipe for disaster.

Hey, at least they didn't draft Heath Benedict. I was scared shitless they would have.

Lonestar
08-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Dude, the list of injured players (major) that Denver have drafted is twice as long as the healthy list. Shoot, even a decent amount of the players we drafted this year were either nicked up or missed a lot of time during their collegiate careers. I don't know why they seem to have an affinity for injured players (and I'm not talking about a guy missing a game or two because of an ankle sprain, much more serious) but they have medical exams at Indianapolis for a reason and with their track record, I have a hard time believing they take them that seriously.

Couple that in with Greek and player rehabilitation, and I smell a recipe for disaster.

Hey, at least they didn't draft Heath Benedict. I was scared shitless they would have.

I agree mikey manages to get more than his share of broken players

Perhaps it is time to JUST IR the draft class and make sure they are ready to preform next year.. All with the necessary weight put on them after rehab...:laugh::laugh:

Seriously mikey takes way more chances to find those diamonds in the rough than I think he should..

Either he knows the are hurt or the scouting group is or WAS not paying attention..

honz
08-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Meh, I don't miss Hixon. I'm glad he is having some success, but I thought it was pretty clear that things weren't working out here in Denver. He never performed here and I always felt like he was going to fumble whenever he was returning kicks.

Good riddance and good luck! :salute:

Lonestar
08-19-2008, 12:19 AM
One wonders if they would have had patience with him would we have had to waste a number TWO on royale this year..

Probably could have picked up a pretty decent DT, DE, Safety or OG with that pick..

Here are a few of the areas of need we could have had instead..

43 Tyrell Johnson FS Arkansas State Minnesota Vikings
44 Matt Forte RB Tulane Chicago Bears
47 Trevor Laws DT Notre Dame Philadelphia Eagles
50 Calais Campbell DE Miami (Fla.) Arizona Cardinals
52 Quentin Groves DE Auburn Jacksonville Jaguars
54 Jason Jones DE Eastern Michigan Tennessee Titans
55 Ray Rice RB Rutgers Baltimore Ravens
59 Mike Pollak T Arizona State Indianapolis Colts
64 Kevin Smith RB Central Florida Detroit Lions
65 John Greco T Toledo St. Louis Rams
66 Kendall Langford DE Hampton Miami Dolphins
72 Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech Buffalo Bills
73 Jamaal Charles RB Texas Kansas City Chiefs
74 Dan Connor LB Penn State Carolina Panthers

G_Money
08-19-2008, 12:28 AM
If Royal works out to be a studly #2, then dropping Hixon (or allowing him to be lost, however you want to look at it) could be a blessing.

But I hate the way we gave up on him, after he watched a guy almost die on the field while tackling him in the opener. That'd throw my game off, and it certainly did his. Once he recovered his confidence, he definitely showed what we were looking for from a returner. He just was doing it for the G-Men.

So here's hoping Royal is the Real Deal and our needing to take him because of our Hixon mistake helps us come out ahead in the end.

Because as Jr says, we do have other needs that'd be nice to address that early in the draft, instead of re-drafting positions...

~G

Lonestar
08-19-2008, 12:31 AM
If Royal works out to be a studly #2, then dropping Hixon (or allowing him to be lost, however you want to look at it) could be a blessing.

But I hate the way we gave up on him, after he watched a guy almost die on the field while tackling him in the opener. That'd throw my game off, and it certainly did his. Once he recovered his confidence, he definitely showed what we were looking for from a returner. He just was doing it for the G-Men.

So here's hoping Royal is the Real Deal and our needing to take him because of our Hixon mistake helps us come out ahead in the end.

Because as Jr says, we do have other needs that'd be nice to address that early in the draft, instead of re-drafting positions...

~G

A good term re-drafting but in milkeys case it could be re-re-re-re-re-re-RE-RE-RE-RE-RE-RE-drafting at WR. going back to nash..

Simple Jaded
08-19-2008, 12:34 AM
It really doesn't matter who is returning Kicks/Punts, imo, bringing Hixon back to do what any other player can do (catch, run into the coverage and get tackled) would be very uneventful......

dogfish
08-19-2008, 12:42 AM

~G

they also need to get it through their thick heads that it DOESN'T MATTER all that much how good the return specialist is if the blocking sucks. . . how many picks have we thrown away over the past decade looking for a returner?

royal, hixon, triandos luke, adrian madise, herb haygood, kevin kasper and chris cole just since 2000, not to mention darrent williams (R.I.P.)-- in all fairness, DW did pan out as a punt returner, so they can hardly be blamed for that one, but throw in some free agents like quincy morgan, and we've spent the resources to bring in at least one candidate a year if not more. . . and that's not counting UDFAs like alridge and marquay mcdaniel. . . if our endless quest to find a legit return specialist goes much further, the denver post is going to have to channel the ghost of homer to write an epic about it. . . i'm starting to think bowlen needs to find out how much it would cost to get frank beamer as our ST coach. . .

hamrob
08-19-2008, 12:54 AM
yeah, I wish we could have found a way to get him on the practice squad...but he got snagged. That's the way it goes. Same thing may happen this year. Guys like Polumbus, Erickson, Larsen, Woodyard, Hillis, quick-six and Barrett are all rookies who might be cut. I'm sure we'd like to get many of these guys to the practice squad as well...but there's always that chance that another team claims them off of waivers. That's the name of the game.

Hey Wiz...just a quick question...who drafted Cutler, Scheff and Marshall?

Lonestar
08-19-2008, 01:02 AM
yeah, I wish we could have found a way to get him on the practice squad...but he got snagged. That's the way it goes. Same thing may happen this year. Guys like Polumbus, Erickson, Larsen, Woodyard, Hillis, quick-six and Barrett are all rookies who might be cut. I'm sure we'd like to get many of these guys to the practice squad as well...but there's always that chance that another team claims them off of waivers. That's the name of the game.

Hey Wiz...just a quick question...who drafted Cutler, Scheff and Marshall?

We might have more quality choices than we know what to do with this year..

Why it was TED! :laugh::laugh: :salute:

Remember how many bombs this team has had until 2006 the DAFT choices were by far more than prevalent than the quality draft choices were..

BTW The name is Jrwiz, Wizard or MR. JR to you..

Lonestar
08-19-2008, 01:06 AM
they also need to get it through their thick heads that it DOESN'T MATTER all that much how good the return specialist is if the blocking sucks. . . how many picks have we thrown away over the past decade looking for a returner?

royal, hixon, triandos luke, adrian madise, herb haygood, kevin kasper and chris cole just since 2000, not to mention darrent williams (R.I.P.)-- in all fairness, DW did pan out as a punt returner, so they can hardly be blamed for that one, but throw in some free agents like quincy morgan, and we've spent the resources to bring in at least one candidate a year if not more. . . and that's not counting UDFAs like alridge and marquay mcdaniel. . . if our endless quest to find a legit return specialist goes much further, the denver post is going to have to channel the ghost of homer to write an epic about it. . . i'm starting to think bowlen needs to find out how much it would cost to get frank beamer as our ST coach. . .

Many of the top teams take ST seriously for Example NE plans on Returns as their FIRST offensive play of every set.. and PUNTS or KICKoffs as the last DEFENSIVE play of each series..

Many of their starters in the past have been on ST's..

GEM
08-19-2008, 09:28 AM

I have been saying that forever. Our returners aren't the issue. It's the ST unit, if a guy can't get any blocks without holding in the backfield it doesn't matter if you have Devin Hester on your team. On the other side, if Pacman can go by 9 Broncos, then get tackled by the punter, again it's the ST unit.

Good post Dog.

MOtorboat
08-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Anyone else remember the game where Brad Van Pelt was 16 of 26 for 129 yards, 3 TDs and no INTs and Todd Devoe caught seven passes for 77 yards and a touchdown?

No...because its preseason.

omac
08-19-2008, 09:56 AM

~G

Actually, Hixon himself admitted in an article that he wasn't running with conviction since that happened, and that it took the Broncos releasing him in order for him to wake up.

So, the Broncos releasing him forced him to be a better player.

On the flipside, when we used Martinez, he scored a return TD, and he definitely was very aggressive in the returns; while he was here, Hixon was very, very tentative and cautious. Not a threat at all. At that time, I believe it was the right decision. Ofcourse, some posters (not you) won't admit that they wanted Hixon out too before, and they'll look at it as another bad move by Shanahan ... well, in hindsight, ofcourse. :D

underrated29
08-19-2008, 10:28 AM
I am saying here as i have before. Mark my words.

HIXON SUCKS!!!!!

He most likely wont be anything ever inthe nfl other than a #3 or #4 or #5 wr.

MB- I DO REMEMBER that game. (i am a big van pelt fan) But you are absolutely right. Its preseason.

remember when cedric cobbs was tearing up teams in the preseason 3 years ago and was the preseasons leading rusher. I dont even think he made the team. I dont even know where he is now.

Hixon sucks, it wasnt a bad move by shanny to let him walk, and for the record they tried to put him onthe practice squad, and were surprised when the giants claimed him off waivers.

MOtorboat
08-19-2008, 10:30 AM
remember when cedric cobbs was tearing up teams in the preseason 3 years ago and was the preseasons leading rusher. I dont even think he made the team. I dont even know where he is now.

Let's just say the former members of the Freak remember this VERY well.

underrated29
08-19-2008, 10:35 AM
I'd ask why. But i am thinking maybe i shouldnt.

BroncoJoe
08-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Let it go people. The Broncos did.

Lonestar
08-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Actually, Hixon himself admitted in an article that he wasn't running with conviction since that happened, and that it took the Broncos releasing him in order for him to wake up.

So, the Broncos releasing him forced him to be a better player.

On the flipside, when we used Martinez, he scored a return TD, and he definitely was very aggressive in the returns; while he was here, Hixon was very, very tentative and cautious. Not a threat at all. At that time, I believe it was the right decision. Ofcourse, some posters (not you) won't admit that they wanted Hixon out too before, and they'll look at it as another bad move by Shanahan ... well, in hindsight, ofcourse. :D

I think I might have been on the dump the clown band wagon but do not remember for sure..

But I think you will agree that mikey has certainly made more than his share of bad moves.. Whether that is HIM, the pseudo GMs, or the position coaches there have been millions lost in CAP FUBARs over the years..

Lets hope that all behind us now. That mikey is being advised better..

omac
08-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I think I might have been on the dump the clown band wagon but do not remember for sure..

But I think you will agree that mikey has certainly made more than his share of bad moves.. Whether that is HIM, the pseudo GMs, or the position coaches there have been millions lost in CAP FUBARs over the years..

Lets hope that all behind us now. That mikey is being advised better..

Well, regarding Hixon's performance ...

I watched and rewatched the plays on NFL.com, and on both TD passes, the defender helped him out a lot. In the first, he bumped him, then let him easily get through him, expecting help from his teammates, even though they were close to the endzone; it was practically giftwrapped. On the 2nd TD pass, the defender slipped on the ground before the ball even got there. The return TD was pretty solid running coupled with solid blocking.

The TD plays only show me that Hixon can keep his feet inbounds while catching a TD pass, which is good. But with Royal, we've seen him jump up and fight for the ball. I hope Hixon does really well, but pre-season vs. pre-season, Royal's looking much better in his skill sets.

LoyalSoldier
08-19-2008, 12:16 PM
When I watch the Kick return I can say it wasn't that Hixon was amazing, but that the Giants STs did an amazing job. If you watch they sealed off just about everyone except two players, the punter and one other. The remaining defender had awful form and was falling over himself just to stay with Hixon. After that the only people left to tackle weren't that fast, the kicker and a LB that was out of position to start with.

MOtorboat
08-19-2008, 12:23 PM
When I watch the Kick return I can say it wasn't that Hixon was amazing, but that the Giants STs did an amazing job. If you watch they sealed off just about everyone except two players, the punter and one other. The remaining defender had awful form and was falling over himself just to stay with Hixon. After that the only people left to tackle weren't that fast, the kicker and a LB that was out of position to start with.

Good point...I didn't see the beginning of the game, but later they were having big kick off returns with Ward (I believe - the kid from Georgia) as well. I have a feeling it has more to do with blocking than it does with the returner.

Benetto
08-19-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't like starting WR's playing PR/KR. I would rather have a designated KR turned WR, not the other way around...

IE: Devin Hester, Dante Hall, Darren Sproles, etc...

Northman
08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
I don't like starting WR's playing PR/KR. I would rather have a designated KR turned WR, not the other way around...

IE: Devin Hester, Dante Hall, Darren Sproles, etc...

Actually, Royal was a balance of both at Vatech but had a much larger impact at Punt returning than he did at WR. If he can bring that same impact here i dont care what he started out to be.

Benetto
08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Actually, Royal was a balance of both at Vatech but had a much larger impact at Punt returning than he did at WR. If he can bring that same impact here i dont care what he started out to be.

I don't follow College football..Didn't know he was a assigned KR. I thought he was a pure WR.

Northman
08-19-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't follow College football..Didn't know he was a assigned KR. I thought he was a pure WR.

No sir. I believe he ended up being the alltime leader for the Hokies in Return yds etc. Way back before the draft i kept pimping the kid because i wanted Denver to get their own "Hester" on ST's. Its just a bonus right now that he is panning out to be a contributing WR for us as well. :D

Requiem / The Dagda
08-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Anyone else remember the game where Brad Van Pelt was 16 of 26 for 129 yards, 3 TDs and no INTs and Todd Devoe caught seven passes for 77 yards and a touchdown?

No...because its preseason.

That's really besides the point. He made the most out of an opportunity when given the chance, and helped the Giants last year in quite a few ways by his return skills. Saying it's the "pre-season" is no excuse for how poorly the Broncos handled Hixon to begin with.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-19-2008, 01:12 PM
One more thing on Royal, since it has been discussed in this thread would be this (IMHO):

If Royal does indeed play flanker for a good portion of this season (my guess is he'll be playing it for the games Brandon is suspended; but will probably dip to the slot when he comes back and Jackson would be our flanker) -- I'm wondering just how much the Broncos would use him in the return game. It seems like initially he was a pick to help bolster our return game moreso than the receiving game (although they knew he could help there) and now it sort of seems to be the exact opposite from the way he's impressed so far this camp and pre-season.

G_Money
08-19-2008, 02:43 PM
If Royal keeps starting - and it looks like he might - I'd put Alridge back on kickoffs and let Royal handle the punts, much the way we did with D-Will. It gives us better use of Alridge's own dangerous abilities and saves Royal's legs and body a little. And Alridge has kickoff return experience.

If a guy's starting and running all over the field, I don't necessarily want him also doing all the kickoffs and punts. Limit his work a little bit.

Though knowing Royal, he'd be upset - he'd play defense too if you let him. He certainly won't want the break. I just don't want him to hit the rookie wall too hard around game 11 when he starts getting beyond the length of season he became accustomed to in college.

~G

underrated29
08-19-2008, 02:53 PM
TO FOLLOW up on your question deam. Lets say royal is starting and taken off of returns. Lets also say hall is starting rb and taken off of returns. WHo then?

aldridge and martinez? or russell? Sammy parker?

Suddenly our return game doesnt look that good anymore.

Ziggy
08-19-2008, 02:56 PM
TO FOLLOW up on your question deam. Lets say royal is starting and taken off of returns. Lets also say hall is starting rb and taken off of returns. WHo then?

My guess would be Clifford Russell and Alridge. I doubt Parker makes the team, and Martinez is on the bubble also.

Lonestar
08-19-2008, 02:58 PM

Until such time as they get the blocking down pat, the special teams stuff does not look good anyway..

Ziggy
08-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Until such time as they get the blocking down pat, the special teams stuff does not look good anyway..

Yes, if anyone watched Hixon's TD return last night, he HAD A LANE TO RUN THROUGH. I haven't seen one yet this preseason for the Broncos returners.

nevcraw
08-19-2008, 03:26 PM
That's really besides the point. He made the most out of an opportunity when given the chance, and helped the Giants last year in quite a few ways by his return skills. Saying it's the "pre-season" is no excuse for how poorly the Broncos handled Hixon to begin with.

Certaily Hixon has stepped up and he will earn some PT at reciver but (save the one KO TD) he was nothing special as a returner for the Giants. But he did hold onto the ball for them, which he did not do for the Broncos. Martinez ran one back for us last year but I don't seeing people jumping on his jock..

It has been well documented that the Broncos did not want give up on Hixon but could not save a roster spot for a #7 WR who could not play ST. He did not pass waivers so he their hope of him getting experience on the practise squad was dashed by Giants..

In Hixon's defense, the ST blocking for him in Denver was terrible, but you got to hold onto the rock..

Retired_Member_001
08-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Hixon or Colbert?

Hmmmm, tough one.

:coffee:

dogfish
08-19-2008, 03:37 PM

when did it ever, aside from people's hopes and wishes?

personally, i doubt if it makes much difference whether royal or martinez is back there on punts, or royal,hall or alridge on kick offs-- 4.3 speed isn't any better than 4.4 or 4.5 if the coverage is breathing down the returner's neck the second the ball hits his hands. . . like i said before, every year people get excited about some new RS because he has some explosiveness-- then he actually gets some game action on our special teams, where dreams go to die. . .

Lonestar
08-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Yes, if anyone watched Hixon's TD return last night, he HAD A LANE TO RUN THROUGH. I haven't seen one yet this preseason for the Broncos returners.

but, but, but everyone was so pumped during training camp.. Yes I forgot no bad guys on the field then.:laugh:

Retired_Member_001
08-19-2008, 03:39 PM
when did it ever, aside from people's hopes and wishes?

personally, i doubt if it makes much difference whether royal or martinez is back there on punts, or royal,hall or alridge on kick offs-- 4.3 speed isn't any better than 4.4 or 4.5 if the coverage is breathing down the returner's neck the second the ball hits his hands. . . like i said before, every year people get excited about some new RS because he has some explosiveness-- then he actually gets some game action on our special teams, where dreams go to die. . .

I have no idea how many guys we've gotten excited about because they "could be our guy". Plain and simply, Devin Hester was struggle with this sort of Special Teams Blocking. Quincy Morgan in my opinion, was a very good KR. The reason he never got to really show it, is because he would have 5 Special Teams players on him from the second he got the ball.

Eddie Royal is special, but he's going to need the blocking to prove it.

BeefStew25
08-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Hixon or Colbert?

Hmmmm, tough one.

Good point. Hixon set the world on fire as a WR here.

Retired_Member_001
08-19-2008, 03:41 PM

That's because Broncos players never have the ability to block.

:mad:

Retired_Member_001
08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Good point. Hixon set the world on fire as a WR here.

And Colbert was a sure Pro Bowler with the Panthers TRYING to get him the ball whilst using Steve Smith opposite him.

BeefStew25
08-19-2008, 03:45 PM
And Colbert was a sure Pro Bowler with the Panthers TRYING to get him the ball whilst using Steve Smith opposite him.

So when we first signed McCaffery, I suppose you wept.

Retired_Member_001
08-19-2008, 03:47 PM

Did you just compare Keary Colbert to Ed McCaffery?

:lol:

Lonestar
08-19-2008, 03:48 PM

Shame on Beif, eddie MAc was my hero..

BeefStew25
08-19-2008, 03:49 PM

No, but when we first signed Eddie, the comparison would not have been laughable. My point being: Hixon sucks, Colbert sucks. One of them eventually might not suck, but it may take a change in scenery to make that happen.

Of course, you probably never saw Eddie Mac play, so I can't really explain it too you.

BeefStew25
08-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Shame on Beif, eddie MAc was my hero..

I love the guy. All I am saying is when Ed was first brought in, all you Railbirds probably rolled your eyes at the signing of a journeyman WR.

In the end, none of us know shit.

Remember when Elway scolded Jay for publicly dissing Marshall? Well, wouldn't you know, Marshall had a couple more incidents NONE of us knew about.

dogfish
08-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Of course, you probably never saw Eddie Mac play, so I can't really explain it too you.

i did, and i'm going to have to ask JR to ban you if you ever compare keary colbert to him again. . . .

:boink:

nevcraw
08-19-2008, 03:56 PM
I love the guy. All I am saying is when Ed was first brought in, all you Railbirds probably rolled your eyes at the signing of a journeyman WR.

Remember when Elway scolded Jay for publicly dissing Marshall? Well, wouldn't you know, Marshall had a couple more incidents NONE of us knew about.

Amen.

Lonestar
08-19-2008, 03:56 PM

I was joking, Eddie Mac was one of the toughest SOB I have ever seen..

Would have made great Timex spokesmen..

I do not remember my reactons when he first came to town.. But after watching the guy play well I became an instant fan..

BeefStew25
08-19-2008, 04:00 PM
i did, and i'm going to have to ask JR to ban you if you ever compare keary colbert to him again. . . .

:boink:

Very similar when they first got here. Now, do I think Colbert will have the career Eddie did? Hell no.

But no one here was slobbing Ed's deal when he was first signed.

Kinda like Martinez. Until he returned the punt, he was really nothing. And in all reality, he probably won't he here too much longer.