PDA

View Full Version : System has been setup to allow members to contribute to the cost of running BroncosForums

Tned
11-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Many people have been asking about helping with the costs of the server and other costs associated with running BroncosForums.com. Up to now, I have been trying to hold off as long as possible to either ask for financial help or to put up ads on the site. However, with the recent move to a new server, the annual costs of running this site have risen to over $2,600 (including $201 a month in server/backup/monitoring fees + numerous annual fees such as vBulletin license, chat room license, domain renewal, etc) without including things like the pickem prizes.

If you would like to help out with the costs of running BroncosForums.com, you can do so via one of the buttons below. There are options for sending a one time donation of any amount, as well as for setting up recurring "subscriptions" where you will send a dollar amount that you choose each month. All transactions will be done securely via PayPal. I will not see or have access to your credit card or bank account information, as the transactions are all done via PayPal and then the funds forwarded to the BroncosForums.com PayPal account.

You can donate by clicking the "Donate" link on the navbar or the link to the left of the "Goal" status bar that are the top of the forum lists.

Thanks in advance to those that help with the costs, and to those that have already contributed.

T

SR
11-23-2008, 12:58 AM
I clicked the donate button earlier when it was still green but never got redicrected to PayPal. But all of the smileys were there. It was also set up for Euros earlier. It's working now though.

Tned
11-23-2008, 01:04 AM
I clicked the donate button earlier when it was still green but never got redicrected to PayPal. But all of the smileys were there. It was also set up for Euros earlier. It's working now though.

Yea, I was turning it on and off while changing settings. When it went through correctly, did you go to the smiley page or thank you page?

SR
11-23-2008, 01:06 AM
PM sent.

Kapaibro
11-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Done!

Would have donated more had the euro not been so weak!

Nomad
11-23-2008, 09:24 AM
What does the amount then subscribe for so many months mean compared to just an amount being donated?

Requiem / The Dagda
11-23-2008, 10:22 AM
What does the amount then subscribe for so many months mean compared to just an amount being donated?

If you subscribed for five dollars for twelve months, they'd take 5 dollars out of your bank account or charge it to your card for a full year; so in a years time you'd pay 60 bucks.

Nomad
11-23-2008, 10:58 AM
If you subscribed for five dollars for twelve months, they'd take 5 dollars out of your bank account or charge it to your card for a full year; so in a years time you'd pay 60 bucks.

Thanks! I'm a little slow.:D

Northman
11-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Sweet, ill try and donate when i get a chance. Nice job Tned. \m/

Requiem / The Dagda
11-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Wow guys, great job! The goal has already been met!

Denver Native (Carol)
11-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Wow guys, great job! The goal has already been met!

It is great that the goal has already been met for this month. We just need to keep it going, so that the goal will be met for each month.

Tned
11-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Yes, a BIG :salute: and thank you to those that have already contributed.

A couple comments to questions that people have asked via PM or on here.

First, nobody should feel obligated to contibute. If you can fine, it will be greatly appreciated, but I don't want anyone to feel obligated to do so, or contribute if you really can't afford to do so, or if you simply don't want to. This is completely voluntary and nobody will be thought less of for not contributing, no matter what the reason is.

Second, as Cicero said, the 'subscribe' (I just changed the wording and got rid of 'subscribe') means that you will be setting it up with PayPal to automatically contribute a certain amount each month. I have changed the wording to try and better explain that, and it now says: "10 USD a month for 6 months", meaning choosing this option would setup a recurring PayPal charge of $10 each month for the next 6 months.

Third, I have been asked about going over the goal. This money is earmarked for running server, which consists of montly costs (dedicated server, monitoring company to page if the server goes down, offline backup storage, etc.) and annual costs (vBulletin license, chat room license, domain registration, etc.). Some months we might have more contributed than the goal, some months (especially in the off season) we will likely have less than the goal. For instance, if we got $300 this month, and $150 next month, then overall we would have $450 for the two months, which would be the same as getting $225 for each of the months. So, if you want to contribute, but we have already reached the 'goal' it is fine to go ahead and contribute now, because it will simply be held in an account to pay for the server in future months. I will still make up any shortfall any month, but it has become a little too much to pay it all, and people have been offering since nearly the beginning to help out.

Again, thanks to all that have helped out already.

T

Requiem / The Dagda
11-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the update T!

Reidman
11-23-2008, 03:07 PM
If everybody just donates 2$ a month, the goal could be met easily. Great job to everyone who donated.

Tned, was wondering if the goal is surpassed for a month liek it is now, does that roll over into the next month's funds goal...?

Also, thank you for doing this out of pocket for so long and providing prizes for the pick'em. You have made this the best Bronco board on the net IMO....

Denver Native (Carol)
11-23-2008, 03:10 PM
If everybody just donates 2$ a month, the goal could be met easily. Great job to everyone who donated.

Tned, was wondering if the goal is surpassed for a month liek it is now, does that roll over into the next month's funds goal...?

Also, thank you for doing this out of pocket for so long and providing prizes for the pick'em. You have made this the best Bronco board on the net IMO....

The answer is yes, it does roll over. From Tned's post:

Third, I have been asked about going over the goal. This money is earmarked for running server, which consists of montly costs (dedicated server, monitoring company to page if the server goes down, offline backup storage, etc.) and annual costs (vBulletin license, chat room license, domain registration, etc.). Some months we might have more contributed than the goal, some months (especially in the off season) we will likely have less than the goal. For instance, if we got $300 this month, and $150 next month, then overall we would have $450 for the two months, which would be the same as getting $225 for each of the months. So, if you want to contribute, but we have already reached the 'goal' it is fine to go ahead and contribute now, because it will simply be held in an account to pay for the server in future months. I will still make up any shortfall any month, but it has become a little too much to pay it all, and people have been offering since nearly the beginning to help out.

Tned
11-23-2008, 03:23 PM

This vBulletin add on doesn't support rolling overages into the next month's goal. The reality is even if we are over some these early months, there is a pretty good chance we will have lean months in the off season and the overages will help cover those. I will of course continue to make up any shortfalls.

I currently have the minimum set to $5, but could lower it a bit. The reason is that paypal charges for the transaction, at a rate of .30 + 2.9%, so a $5 contribution actually nets $4.55, but a $2 contribution would net $1.64, so PayPals cut becomes a much larger percentage.

On the flip side, if we got a bunch of people signing up for $2 a month, even with PayPal's cut, it would add up pretty quick.

Reidman
11-23-2008, 03:23 PM
The answer is yes, it does roll over. From Tned's post:

Oh, cool. Probably should have read the whole thread first...

OB
11-23-2008, 03:38 PM
If i give money am i immune from "Regarding your post" PMs :D

Tned
11-23-2008, 03:47 PM

I don't think I am even immune to those PM's, or at least a quiet "You know better, Tned" PM.

So, no. There is no immunity, but you will help make sure that my poodle doesn't have to go hungry, because I am paying for the forum bills. :laugh:

Seriously, all the contributions are greatly appreciated, especially since this month I had to pay the old hosting company + the new hosting company, + the offsite backup (used to be part of the old hosting company service) + a setup fee on the new server.

So, this month the actual bills (not including annual costs) were $365, because of having to pay two hosts for November service during the server switch.

This also addresses overages to a degree, because this month there will be no excess overages, but the important thing to know on overages is that I will not be pocketing them. If we get to the point where we run well over goal for many months in a row and a large excess accumulates, I will simply turn off the contribution system for a while.

Kapaibro
11-23-2008, 06:05 PM
I like the PM thanking you for your donation.

It may be automated, but it's a nice acknowledgement!

:salute:

Tned
11-23-2008, 06:14 PM
I like the PM thanking you for your donation.

It may be automated, but it's a nice acknowledgement!

:salute:

Yea, I'm trying to follow them up with a more 'personal' one. :D

Reidman
11-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Well Tned, you may be hard pressed to get any donations now after today's embarrassment....:rolleyes:

Denver Native (Carol)
11-23-2008, 08:01 PM

Of course you are - you just need to watch the "Concerning your Post" PMs :laugh:

pnbronco
11-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Tned you have gone so above and beyond what any of us thought, that I am more than happy to help. I am so proud of this board that we have all banded together (even as the team struggles) to help keep this wonderful board going.

Tned thank you for the good example of transaction fees....

I currently have the minimum set to $5, but could lower it a bit. The reason is that paypal charges for the transaction, at a rate of .30 + 2.9%, so a $5 contribution actually nets $4.55, but a $2 contribution would net $1.64, so PayPals cut becomes a much larger percentage.

LordTrychon
11-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Well overdue, actually...

Is it possible to set up a $5 every other month subscription? That would fix the cut issue, but cost people about the same.

Also... is your contribution 'goal' a full coverage of the costs for the forum?

Anyway... as usual, thanks for everything.... :salute:

Davii
11-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Maybe if there is still $$ left over at the beginning of the season there could be some sort of a contest with giveaways for the folks who contributed throughout the year.

frauschieze
11-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Maybe if there is still $$ left over at the beginning of the season there could be some sort of a contest with giveaways for the folks who contributed throughout the year.

Great idea! Tned is still paying for the Amazon gift certificates for the pick-em league out of pocket, I believe.

Davii
11-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Great idea! Tned is still paying for the Amazon gift certificates for the pick-em league out of pocket, I believe.

If there's any cash left over I think it should go directly too that type of thing. TNed shouldn't have ANY out of pocket expense IMO.

OB
11-25-2008, 02:27 PM
I say Tned should be allowed to buy at least one case of wine with the leftover money this month :wine:

But of course we will meet at the border and drink said case together :beer:

Davii
11-25-2008, 02:33 PM
I say Tned should be allowed to buy at least one case of wine with the leftover money this month :wine:

But of course we will meet at the border and drink said case together :beer:

Tned drinks boxed wine to keep prices down. That's only 7$.

Lonestar
11-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Proud of our folks stepping up and helping out here..

For those of you that did not please remember that Tned has payed out of his pocket for this place for over a year..

Not counting the gifts given and the cost of the program to start this and updates..

Then the countless hours he has spent in the back ground with keeping it running and making nice little diddies like the MHS..

While it is his baby he has been extraordinary in keeping us all happy..

If you have not given step up next month and give till it hurts and for some that might be the $5.. for others give more..

this place deserves it considering the amount of pleasure you have all received while you have been with us..

Just remember to put Jrwiz in the promo box as you fill out the form....

Denver Native (Carol)
11-25-2008, 03:21 PM

For those of you that did not please remember that Tned has payed out of his pocket for this place for over a year..

Not counting the gifts given and the cost of the program to start this and updates..

Then the countless hours he has spent in the back ground with keeping it running and making nice little diddies like the MHS..

If you have not given step up next month and give till it hurts and for some that might be the $5.. for others give more..

this place deserves it considering the amount of pleasure you have all received while you have been with us..

I totally agree, except for putting Jrwiz in the promo box :D Right now, it states the goal is at 202%. That means that 2 months will be paid for. It would be great for all those who have not, and who can, to give now, so that possibly there would be enough to pay for a full year, month by month, where Tned would not have to make up anything out of his own pocket.

LordTrychon
11-25-2008, 04:45 PM

Have you been pleasuring posters? :shocked:

NameUsedBefore
11-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Don't have a Paypal nor much money to contribute but I'll get around to it eventually.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Don't have a Paypal nor much money to contribute but I'll get around to it eventually.

I know that whenever you can, Tned will appreciate it. I did not have an account set up in Paypal either, but when you click on contribute, it is set up just like charging something to a credit card, or debit card when you make a purchase.

NameUsedBefore
11-25-2008, 04:52 PM
I know that whenever you can, Tned will appreciate it. I did not have an account set up in Paypal either, but when you click on contribute, it is set up just like charging something to a credit card, or debit card when you make a purchase.

Yeah. I don't have any money in my debit right now and I'm super leery of using credit cards (only for gas/food).

LordTrychon
11-25-2008, 04:55 PM
For the record, I haven't contributed anything to the forum to this date... why would I now? :laugh: ;)

Tned
11-26-2008, 08:03 AM

Someone else suggested this PM. I wouldn't be opposed to this, and as you indicated, doing it at the 'beginning' of next season would make sure we made it through the offseason with a surplus. I would suggest more people will contribute during the season than the offseason, but we also have a lot of people that become a little scarce during the offseason.

My ONLY hesitation would be that different people are giving different amounts. Some that have given fairly large contributions might not like it if the excess was given away in a contest, possibly rethinking their large contributions.

My original thought had been to turn off the contribution system for a while, if we get too far ahead, but I am open to anything. As the offseason goes, we can see how much excess there is and then talk about it.

Also, sometime this weekend, I am going to create an 'accounting' thread. Meaning, I want to create as much transparancy as possible. I haven't turned on the report showing who has contributed and how much, and some have specifically requested to remain anonymous. So, I haven't decided exactly how to list the contributions, whether in lump sum, or a list of contributions, showing date/time and amount, but no user name, so that people can see how the contributions are coming in and audit to a degree, but being able to see that 'their' contribution is being accounted for.

With that, I will also provide details of what is being spent each month, so that people that can contribute can be assured (as much as possible without having my paypal login and copies of my CC receipts) that their contributions are going to the site, and not my pocket.

Yes, along with some other things that I have done, like some google adword advertising to promote the site, and probably a few other things I haven't thought of. The $225 a month goal doesn't include the pickem prizes.

Well overdue, actually...

Is it possible to set up a $5 every other month subscription? That would fix the cut issue, but cost people about the same.

Anyway... as usual, thanks for everything.... :salute:

It is supposed to be possible to setup an every month subscription, but that is the one thing I haven't tested. The few people that selected that option, it seemed to create and end the subscription all at once. I am going to check with the maker of the vBulletin add-on that interfaces with PayPal, and also will setup a test subscription myself and try and figure it out.

My thought is that if you choose subscription, but pay with a CC rather than a paypal account, then it turns it into a one time payment, and doesn't set it up to recur. If you set it up with a paypal account, it will set it up as recurring, so if you chose $5 for 6 months, then each month it would take out $5.

But, as I said, I have to test it.

Also... is your contribution 'goal' a full coverage of the costs for the forum?

At current costs, if I haven't forgotten anything, the $225 a month would cover all costs, both monthly and annual licensing, not including the pickem prizes (which I am behind on sending out again, sorry guys, I will catch up this weekend).

Rex
11-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Tned,

Would you accept a back rub given by a midget wearing just an apron and a feather boa...you know...as a gesture of "support"?

Let me know.

cswil

Tned
11-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Tned,

Would you accept a back rub given by a midget wearing just an apron and a feather boa...you know...as a gesture of "support"?

Let me know.

cswil

Depends on the midget...

Rex
11-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Depends on the midget...

How about an angry, uppity midget....with a mean streak when drunk?

Tned
11-26-2008, 08:21 AM
How about an angry, uppity midget....with a mean streak when drunk?

If 'she' was a hot midget, with a mean streak, then I might consider it...

If 'he' was, well, a 'he', then I might just have to take a pass...

:laugh:

NightTrainLayne
11-26-2008, 10:48 AM
If 'she' was a hot midget, with a mean streak, then I might consider it...

If 'he' was, well, a 'he', then I might just have to take a pass...

:laugh:

Poor little guy. . .can't catch a break anywhere.

Reidman
11-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Where did the total indicator at the top of the screen go...??

Denver Native (Carol)
11-29-2008, 08:34 PM

Maybe it has to do with this post of Tned's:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=468922&postcount=38

Tned
11-30-2008, 01:08 AM

Well, it was suggested that leaving the donation bar up all the time might irritate people or desensitize them (glossing over it without even seeing it).

So, I went ahead and took it down for a while. Probably tomorrow, I'll put up an 'accounting' thread of sorts, which will serve as an ongoing tally sheet of costs and contributions. The sometime next month, turn it back on. The "contribute" link on the navbar at the top will stay up all the time.

topscribe
11-30-2008, 01:17 AM

You'll have to find it yourself.

I'm still looking at your avvy . . .

-----

Jaws
11-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Maybe if there is a substantial surplus at the beginning of the next season, rather than a giveaway as someone suggested, perhaps we could come up with some sort of football/sport related charity to make a contribution to as a board?

Nomad
11-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Maybe if there is a substantial surplus at the beginning of the next season, rather than a giveaway as someone suggested, perhaps we could come up with some sort of football/sport related charity to make a contribution to as a board?

Great idea, Sharkie!!! I'd be all for that!!