PDA

View Full Version : A Lot More Than A Movie Promotion

Denver Native (Carol)
11-22-2008, 06:32 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8595

A Lot More Than A Movie Promotion

By Adam Zinser
DenverBroncos.com

DENVER -- Being a Denver Bronco isn't necessarily always all about football. Every now and then, you get to do something different -- like hanging out with Will Smith at the red carpet premier of his new movie Seven Pounds.

That's what a number of Broncos players, coaches and staff members had the chance to do Friday night in Denver.

Wide receivers coach Jedd Fisch, strength and conditioning coach Rich Tuten, Champ Bailey, Vernon Fox, Ryan Harris, Chris Kuper, Brandon Marshall, Karl Paymah, Clifford Russell, D.J. Williams and Jamie Winborn are just a few of the Broncos who walked the red carpet.

Bailey and Marshall helped sponsor the event, which benefitted several local charities.

"I'm actually here on behalf of the rescue mission," Bailey said. "I've been a part of it for a while now. To have a movie star like Will Smith come to town and bring some light to that, it's amazing. I'm sure a lot of people aren't aware of what the rescue mission is all about. Hopefully now they'll be interested."

He's used to the bright lights of INVESCO Field at Mile High shining down on him, but all the glitz and glamour that came along with hosting a movie premier was somewhat unfamiliar for the standout cornerback.

"It's different. There's too many flashes, I'll tell you that," Bailey said, laughing. "I'm not used to that. But it's great. It's different for Denver, and I'm all for it."

As for Marshall, his work with Reverend Leon Kelly's Open Door Youth Gang Alternatives has been well documented over the course of the last year. What no one knew heading into Friday night's event was that Smith took time to visit Open Door with Marshall.

"I want to thank Will Smith, but not just for coming here to promote this movie," Marshall said. "The movie's called Seven Pounds, and in it, he's giving back to people who need help. He really is the man that you see on TV."

"This guy came down to the Open Door foundation with Reverend Kelly, and he said, 'I don't want any media. I'm not doing this for the media. I'm doing this from my heart,'" Marshall continued. "We want to thank you on behalf of the Denver Broncos and the Denver community for giving back to our community. Thank you so much."

So not only was this about promoting a new movie, but it was also about helping people in need. And for a man like Smith to take time out of his busy schedule to do that says a lot.

"Come on man! I'm an action hero, I can't be crying on stage," Smith said, with a smile, in response to Marshall's speech. "Thank you guys very much."

After spending time mingling with fans, taking pictures and signing autographs, Smith took a moment to chat with DenverBroncos.com and Broncos TV for a quick exclusive.

"That was fantastic," Smith said about his time at Open Door. "Just to see those kids eyes. It's one of those things where you just forget how important those things are -- how important it is for those kids to see somebody like Brandon. Then he brings me in as a guest, and it was just fantastic."

At the end of the night, many of those who are less fortunate in the Denver community got a lot of help from Smith and the Broncos. And as a token of appreciation for his efforts, the Broncos presented Smith with a customized #1 Broncos jersey with his name on it.

As for the movie, we'll let you decide when it hits theaters on December 19.

For photos from the premier, click here.