PDA

View Full Version : Young cornerbacks schooled by the Champ

Denver Native (Carol)
11-22-2008, 06:08 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/nov/21/broncos-report-bailey-helping-even-when-injured/

Broncos report: Young cornerbacks schooled by the Champ

When cornerback Champ Bailey doesn't play for the Broncos, others get their chance.

And they also know where to go for help with that - to Bailey.

"I'm the type of person who wants to get better," rookie cornerback Jack Williams said. "So if you want to get better, you ask the best. When you want to know something, you go to the best, and we get to go to the best."

Bailey has missed three games because of a groin injury, and while he continues to hope he can play Sunday against the Raiders, he still hasn't tried to run full speed and remains a question mark until he tests the injury again Sunday.

In his absence, the Broncos have used Williams in some situational work, as well as starting Karl Paymah, a fourth-year veteran, and rookie Josh Bell one and two games in Bailey's left cornerback spot, respectively.

"It's all part of it," Bailey said. "You want to do whatever you can to help. And if guys want to learn, you can show them some things."

"I go to him all the time," Williams said. "There is a lot of stuff about football I didn't know, especially about specific techniques you use in certain situations. And he's always looking to help you out and if he sees something, he'll come to you and say, 'You need to do this and this and this.' "

Bell, an undrafted rookie who was cut by the San Diego Chargers at the end of training camp, has been a player Bailey has helped of late. Bell was signed to the Broncos practice squad Sept. 24, then to their active roster in late October. That was one of their moves to fill out the roster when the Broncos put Boss Bailey and Patrick Ramsey on injured reserve and Erik Pears on reserve/nonfootball illness after an appendectomy.

Bell has started the past two games in Champ Bailey's spot, both Broncos wins, and has played well enough to avoid being picked on by quarterbacks thus far.

"He's played great. The thing about him is, he has a lot of confidence," Champ Bailey said. "He's definitely a humble guy at the same time. He picks my brain a lot. I'm going to try to do what I can to help him."

The one thing Bell has shown - coach Mike Shanahan called it "aggressiveness in practice in one-on-ones" - is that confidence in his play. And despite going undrafted out of Baylor in April and already having been released by one team, Bell said he's just wired to play with confidence and believe in himself.

"I just have a lot of confidence in the way I've been trained," Bell said. "High school, college, discipline, knowing the scheme, knowing your role. When I came in, I just worked as hard as I can. I always look at it like I'm trying to get to the Pro Bowl this year. And everybody laughs at me and I know how that sounds. That's just what I work toward."

"I don't think you can really teach a guy how to have confidence," Champ Bailey said. "One thing about him, it's got to be something you have already. Things will get bad, you get cut, something like that, but one thing this guy has done is keep his head up the whole way, because he knows he can play."

Pinnock's signing near if his knee OK

Still looking for depth in the backfield, and with Spencer Larsen now starting at middle linebacker, the Broncos are set to bring in fullback Andrew Pinnock for another visit early next week.

They are expected to then sign the veteran if they don't have to make any additional adjustments to the roster because of injury after the game against Oakland on Sunday and if Pinnock's knee checks out.

The Broncos had Pinnock in for a physical Thursday - he also worked out for the team Nov. 10 - and want to bring him back one more time for a look at his left knee.

Pinnock had microfracture surgery on the knee in February. He had spent part of training camp for the Chargers on the physically unable to perform list, but he had practiced some before camp ended.

He didn't play in any preseason games, though. He was Lorenzo Neal's backup there for five seasons, but San Diego released Pinnock just before the start of the season, when rookie Mike Tolbert won the fullback job.

Pinnock has had several workouts around the league in recent weeks.

One more time

Shanahan said he's not sure what to expect on the injury front these days.

Friday, the Broncos sent cornerback Dre Bly home with a 101-degree temperature in what the Broncos are hoping is a brief bout with the flu.

The Broncos already have five backups starting among the seven players at linebacker and in the secondary combined. Bly has started all 10 games this season.

"Hopefully, it's only the 24-hour flu and he'll be able to go," Shanahan said.

The Broncos also have listed running back Selvin Young (groin) as doubtful for Sunday. Young, who has missed four of the past five games and had only one carry in the Broncos' win in Cleveland, has been limited in practice this week. Asked if trying to play against the Browns might have pushed back Young's recovery, Shanahan said, "I think any time a guy works out, they set themselves back a little bit. But he needed to get through that to get ready to play. I was glad he pushed himself. . . . I think sometimes the plane ride hurts, too, at least according to the doctors. You start to get loose and all of a sudden you fly, it sets you back a little bit. Next time, we'll make him drive."

Young did some scout team work during the week, but the Broncos again are expected to divide the carries among Peyton Hillis, Tatum Bell and P.J. Pope.

Etc.

* Linebacker Nate Webster (knee) did some work with the scout team in practice Friday, and Shanahan said there is a chance he could return to practice next week. Webster was injured in Cleveland and held out of the game in Atlanta. He won't be in uniform Sunday.

* Linebacker D.J. Williams (knee), who has missed two games since suffering a severe sprain late in the loss to the Dolphins, isn't ready to return to practice.

* Safety Marlon McCree (ankle) was held out of practice all week and won't play Sunday.

* Larsen was fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness in the Broncos' win at Atlanta. He was fined for a play when the league said he leg-whipped a Falcons player.

Numbers game

4-3record for the Broncos in games when quarterback Jay Cutler has thrown for at least 300 yards. They were 1-1 last season in those games, 3-2 this year, including the Broncos' 41-14 win against Oakland to start the season.

He said it

"I want to be out there. I'm big on accountability and I don't feel like I'm being accountable if I'm not playing. But I've got to be smart about my body."

Champ Bailey, on trying to return from a groin injury.

Adapt and overcome

The Broncos don't like when Champ Bailey, an eight-time Pro Bowl selection, isn't in the lineup, but they are 5-1 in the games he has missed. They are the only five games he has missed in his career, which is in its 10th year. How the Broncos have fared when Bailey has been out because of an injury:

Date Opponent Result Injury

Oct. 2, 2005 Washington W, 21-19 Hamstring

Oct. 16, 2005 at Jacksonville W, 21-7 Hamstring

Oct. 21, 2007 Pittsburgh W, 31-28 Thigh

Nov. 2, 2008 Miami L, 26-17 Groin

Nov. 6, 2008 at Cleveland W, 34-30 Groin

Nov. 16, 2008 at Atlanta W, 24-20 Groin

dogfish
11-22-2008, 06:15 PM
i like that they're looking at another fullback-- i'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that it means they're ready to give larsen an extended look at MIKE. . .

Lonestar
11-22-2008, 06:20 PM
best part of the post..

with Spencer Larsen now starting at middle linebacker, the Broncos are set to bring in fullback Andrew Pinnock for another visit early next week.

worst news..

Linebacker Nate Webster (knee) did some work with the scout team in practice Friday, and Shanahan said there is a chance he could return to practice next week. Webster was injured in Cleveland and held out of the game in Atlanta.

better news..
He won't be in uniform Sunday.

Lonestar
11-22-2008, 06:22 PM
i like that they're looking at another fullback-- i'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that it means they're ready to give larsen an extended look at MIKE. . .

did not read between the lines huh?

Hillis is our FB.. although he will be playing RB this week.. hopefully the kid can kick some butt and not allow the others to take the spot..

Superchop 7
11-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Caulcrick should be our back up fullback/goal line running back.....period......end of story.

Quit bringing in wanna-be's.

Bring in a stud.

This is supposed to be a slap in the face to the Chargers.

Quit the politics.

(and you thought Reeve's was a control freak)

Look.

Quit the games.

Win the division.

gobroncsnv
11-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Interesting about our record without Champ on the field... makes you think that the defense relaxes a bit when he's in there. Leading one to think that they need to step up, week in, week out, which would make us all that much better when he does return. SEEMS like we would IMPROVE when he is in there. Rest assured, if any of you think this is a slam on #24, get over it... This is just about the D needing to play with the same intensity, that they ALL have to have each other's back, and not just rely on an All-Pro CB to bail their butts out when they screw up.