PDA

View Full Version : Barrett Signed to Active Roster

Denver Native (Carol)
11-22-2008, 04:00 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/2008/11/22/barrett-signed-to-active-roster/

On his 24th birthday, rookie Josh Barrett has been signed to the Broncos active roster.

Not a bad birthday present.

The safety spent the first 11 weeks of the season on the team’s practice squad. Selected by the team in the seventh round of the 2008 NFL Draft from Arizona State University, Barrett saw time in all four preseason games for Denver and ranked fourth on the club with 11 defensive tackles while adding two special-teams stops.

A two-year starter at Arizona State, Barrett played 47 career games with 27 starts for the Sun Devils and totaled 174 tackles, six interceptions, 17 pass breakups and four fumble recoveries. He received honorable mention All-Pac-10 honors as a junior in 2006.

To make room for the Barrett transaction, the team also waived running back Alex Haynes on Saturday.

SR
11-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Good deal. Hope this kid can make an impact. Gotta root for my Devils!

Day1BroncoFan
11-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Hopefully he can make an impact on the field.

turftoad
11-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Sweeeeeet............. been waiting for this.

I hope he gets some playing time, more so to help him get prepared for next year.

lex
11-22-2008, 04:16 PM
This is good news. I know many will be happy about this. Myself included. Its been hard watching Lowry and not long for this day to come. Maybe Hillis and Larsen helped his cause in a small way.

slim
11-22-2008, 04:26 PM
It's about freaking time

shank
11-22-2008, 04:46 PM
nice!

dogfish
11-22-2008, 04:50 PM
friggin' finally! lex is right, he couldn't possibly be any worse than watching lowry flail around out there. . . . now, the question is "will they play him?"

G_Money
11-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Thank God.

Barrett has every measurable imaginable to be an incredible pro. I hope he can stay healthy. He was injured a lot early at ASU IIRC, then bulked up and had a good Junior year, then was nicked up again his senior year.

He's huge and he runs like the wind - his measurables are top-10 draftpick comparable (LaRon Landry, for instance, had pretty much exactly the same numbers at the Combine). He's smart. Not just football smart, but real-people smart. There isn't anything he CAN'T do on a football field.

There's just stuff he hasn't been taught HOW to do. He can hit, he can run, he can cover, he can stuff the run, he can tackle, he can play special teams...

But he plays more tentatively than you'd think he should. Part of that may be out of injury concern. Injuries laid waste to half his college career, which is one reason he might be better used as a free-safety, covering smaller guys, than as a hard-hitting run stopper who's taking on big guys all the time.

Still, he's probably faster than Champ, and he's as big as Winborn. If he can be taught, and he has the heart for football, he could be astoundingly good - if we employ some good teachers.

In the meantime, I'd love to have a safety who doesn't get run past on every deep play and has some recovery speed when he screws up. Please let him play against the Raiders...

~G

underrated29
11-22-2008, 06:02 PM
yes. About F ing time!

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
11-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Hope this works out.

and how sick is that getting signed up on your birthday?

JKcatch724
11-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Here's to hoping Josh follows in his fellow rookies' footsteps!

Foochacho
11-22-2008, 06:28 PM
I fell like it is my birthday now too.:beer:

Lonestar
11-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Thank God.

Barrett has every measurable imaginable to be an incredible pro. I hope he can stay healthy. He was injured a lot early at ASU IIRC, then bulked up and had a good Junior year, then was nicked up again his senior year.

He's huge and he runs like the wind - his measurables are top-10 draftpick comparable (LaRon Landry, for instance, had pretty much exactly the same numbers at the Combine). He's smart. Not just football smart, but real-people smart. There isn't anything he CAN'T do on a football field.

There's just stuff he hasn't been taught HOW to do. He can hit, he can run, he can cover, he can stuff the run, he can tackle, he can play special teams...

But he plays more tentatively than you'd think he should. Part of that may be out of injury concern. Injuries laid waste to half his college career, which is one reason he might be better used as a free-safety, covering smaller guys, than as a hard-hitting run stopper who's taking on big guys all the time.

Still, he's probably faster than Champ, and he's as big as Winborn. If he can be taught, and he has the heart for football, he could be astoundingly good - if we employ some good teachers.

In the meantime, I'd love to have a safety who doesn't get run past on every deep play and has some recovery speed when he screws up. Please let him play against the Raiders...

~G

lets just hope mikey has finally gotten over his severe case of Anal Retinal Disparity..

Foochacho
11-22-2008, 06:37 PM
JR spell check your adopted broncos.

tubby
11-22-2008, 06:48 PM
:cool:

:defense:

Rex
11-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I would rather have Tubby play safety than Lowry.

Bring him on.

BeefStew25
11-22-2008, 06:53 PM
lets just hope mikey has finally gotten over his severe case of Anal Retinal Disparity..

Well, I hope so too. I want to beat your raiders into the ground.

Lonestar
11-22-2008, 07:12 PM

I know it is wrong in the spelling but I was making sure it matched the way it was spelled on the adoptee board I did not want to get the wrong guy..

Requiem / The Dagda
11-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Foochacho, you must realize that spelling isn't a strong-suit of Raider fans.

Lonestar
11-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, I hope so too. I want to beat your raiders into the ground.

you keep trying to bait me into commenting ..

son I've been a Bronco fans since before you were a twinkle in your mommas eye..

Now drop down and give 50.

I too hope they do not cramp up and choke at home against the jesters team..

But we all know this one is prime time as trap game as we have this year..

BeefStew25
11-22-2008, 07:16 PM
you keep trying to bait me into commenting ..

son I've been a Bronco fans since before you were a twinkle in your mommas eye..

Now drop down and give 50.

I too hope they do not cramp up and choke at home against the jesters team..

But we all know this one is prime time as trap game as we have this year..

Well, if we lose, you will be here front and center, I am sure.

Lonestar
11-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Well, if we lose, you will be here front and center, I am sure.

I can't remember the last time I said I told you so..

I'd like a win, but On any given Sunday.

At least we have had only a few predicting 40 point wins for tomorrow..

I think after a few beat downs this year folks have come to figure out this team is not a 13-3 team like many predicted..

That the number of kiddies on the team will indeed see peaks and valleys in consistency..

I am dismayed totally that the DL that we all thought was going to kick ass this year has done very little other the SUCK for the most part..

I really thought or better yet HOPED that all the hoopla from TC/preseason would indeed carry over to the real season..

G_Money
11-22-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm just curious to see if Barrett can make good on his physical gifts. He was very good in the preseason at being in the right place and making the play. He played well at the LOS in the redzone, held a corner instead of diving inside on a run fake, made sure tackles...

I liked him A LOT in his Junior year and was hoping to draft him this year. I didn't expect him to fall so late. His injury history and tentative play caught up with him, and his outstanding measurables didn't compensate, I guess.

It's all in our favor now. I suppose he COULD be as horrible as our safeties have been, but he'd have to work really hard at it. If he is, I'd rather know it now than later, and since playing with 9 men on the field would not be worse than including the 2 safeties currently starting, having Barrett back there can't make us more atrocious. And we need to see if he can play, or be taught to play, before making those First Day draft decisions.

I hope he gets significant action against Oakland. If Lowry goes out and sucks, and then the first time we see Barrett in action is against the Jets, that's a little unfair to the boy. Let him get his feet wet in the shallow end of the kiddie pond that the Raiders play in.

And oh yeah, WIN THIS GAME, BRONCOS. Hopefully that pitiful performance against the Chiefs was enough to make them pay attention to the lower-class teams, especially in their own division.

~G

Lonestar
11-22-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm just curious to see if Barrett can make good on his physical gifts. He was very good in the preseason at being in the right place and making the play. He played well at the LOS in the redzone, held a corner instead of diving inside on a run fake, made sure tackles...

I liked him A LOT in his Junior year and was hoping to draft him this year. I didn't expect him to fall so late. His injury history and tentative play caught up with him, and his outstanding measurables didn't compensate, I guess.

It's all in our favor now. I suppose he COULD be as horrible as our safeties have been, but he'd have to work really hard at it. If he is, I'd rather know it now than later, and since playing with 9 men on the field would not be worse than including the 2 safeties currently starting, having Barrett back there can't make us more atrocious. And we need to see if he can play, or be taught to play, before making those First Day draft decisions.

I hope he gets significant action against Oakland. If Lowry goes out and sucks, and then the first time we see Barrett in action is against the Jets, that's a little unfair to the boy. Let him get his feet wet in the shallow end of the kiddie pond that the Raiders play in.

And oh yeah, WIN THIS GAME, BRONCOS. Hopefully that pitiful performance against the Chiefs was enough to make them pay attention to the lower-class teams, especially in their own division.

~G

good post..

your dead on about the existing safeties.. almost anyone could do better.. let the kiddies play especially on raider weak.. get him some playing time so as you said we have a better idea on day one.. of the draft..

Hey do you think John Lynch could teach this pup something if so MIKEY make the call..

Superchop 7
11-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Tentative ???

Your in the wrong league son.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-22-2008, 08:10 PM
good post..

your dead on about the existing safeties.. almost anyone could do better.. let the kiddies play especially on raider weak.. get him some playing time so as you said we have a better idea on day one.. of the draft..

Hey do you think John Lynch could teach this pup something if so MIKEY make the call..

John will be busy tomorrow making his audition in the booth - he will be doing the Jacksonville game on FOX.

G_Money
11-22-2008, 08:12 PM
With all these young kids around, and more on the way hopefully in next year's draft, the thing I wish for MOST is a teacher. I'm glad Champ is helping out the CBs. Maybe he can slide some advice Barrett's way.

Because the kids need all the good teaching they can get if they're gonna maximize their impact with us, and I still think the thing we suck at most on defense - besides scheming - is teaching kids.

We don't get the most out of our young defenders because we don't shore up their college-ready games as much as we should. All the great defenses around the league have some great schemers for the Sunday game-prep, and some great teachers to get the kids ready to perform the scheme at the highest possible level.

We don't seem to have either.

Barrett is physically the equal of Steve Atwater. But Steve took the best from Dennis Smith (leaving most of the worst parts of Smith's game behind) and had Wade Phillips around to instruct him in the scheme of the pro game and take best advantage of his talents. And Steve was a committed player when he got here, who rarely if ever second-guessed himself.

Barrett looked like a second-guesser at times in college. If we had a Lynch around, who could explain to him how to best read-and-react, it would be a huge help to him IMO.

If we had a scheme and some teachers who could take a guy who can outrun TO while also tackling TEs and RBs and utilize him to the best of his ability, I'd be stoked.

Right now I'm just hoping he's learned enough in the last few months to hold his own and not get fired before the new coordinator gets here with a teacher to mold Barrett into a world-beater.

Oh, and I'm hoping for that new coordinator. ;)

~G

G_Money
11-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Tentative ???

Your in the wrong league son.

He just hasn't seen as much game action as you'd expect 4-year grad to have. His shoulder seemed fine as a Junior, and his injuries as a senior were leg injuries, not upper-body injuries, which is a good sign.

I still advocate a first-day safety in the draft, though. If Barrett can play FS, fine. SS is okay too. But I'm looking for multiple guys back there. I don't want any of the safeties who have started thus far to be starting for us next year.

I know we need DL too, but if our DL suck because we can't teach them, then I'm reluctant to drop a first-rounder on another one. Once we see who the next DC is I am willing to be persuaded, but skill positions on D are more reliable picks than linemen, and since we need both I'd rather go with the surer thing and see what the scheme looks like the first year.

~G

Superchop 7
11-22-2008, 08:46 PM
For this team , they need MLB.

There is so much talent at safety in the 2nd rd. it isn't even funny.

The things we need will be right there come draft day.

Our guys can stuff the run with a little help.

In other words.....send 5.

It works.

dogfish
11-22-2008, 08:49 PM
I would rather have Tubby play safety than Lowry.

i would rather have cheese play safety than lowry-- at least she'd look good doing it. . . .

Foochacho
11-22-2008, 09:31 PM
For this team , they need MLB.

There is so much talent at safety in the 2nd rd. it isn't even funny.

The things we need will be right there come draft day.

Our guys can stuff the run with a little help.

In other words.....send 5.

It works.

What if larsen tears it up at mlb would you still want a Lb for a first?

frauschieze
11-22-2008, 09:35 PM
i would rather have cheese play safety than lowry-- at least she'd look good doing it. . . .

Give Shanahan my number. :drinking:

Superchop 7
11-23-2008, 01:26 AM

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Yes, we have no depth.

SR
11-23-2008, 01:35 AM

What's wrong with Specner?

SR
11-23-2008, 01:45 AM
If we had a scheme and some teachers who could take a guy who can outrun TO while also tackling TEs and RBs and utilize him to the best of his ability, I'd be stoked.

That's exactly what this kid can do. If he is in the game, he is fast enough to keep up with fast receivers down the field and big and forceful enough to tackle TEs like Gonzalez, Todd Heap, Watson, etc and RBs like Jones-Drew, Marion Barber, McFadden, etc. The guy has the unique size and speed combo to make a great safety. I'm glad to see him called up and I hope like hell he makes an immediate impact.

SR
11-23-2008, 01:46 AM

I think Shanahan should keep Larsen at Mike and let him play. Put on some size in the off season and he'd be a-okay.

Foochacho
11-23-2008, 02:04 AM
If larsen proves to be a beast at mlb I say we go safety in the first? We need talent that can step up and play right away at that position. If barret is good at safety well we still need another good one and a little depth never hurt. But if larsen doesn't finish the year strong at MLB we need one in the first before the talent is gone we will still find a good safety in the second.

Its too early to really talk about the draft until we see how larsen and barret work out. It will probally come down to best available.

SR
11-23-2008, 02:06 AM
I would have a wet dream if we could get Orakbo in the draft. Completely irrelevant to our needs at safety, linebacker, and DT, but still.

Fan in Exile
11-23-2008, 08:58 AM
I would have a wet dream if we could get Orakbo in the draft. Completely irrelevant to our needs at safety, linebacker, and DT, but still.

At this point I would be okay with taking the best defensive player available apart from CB or Will. We have so many holes that I think anyone would be an upgrade.

I also think that this is kind of the death knell for Slowick. There have just been too many personnel/scheme changes changes. It really looks like some one has stepped in to correct the mistakes that were made at the beginning of the season.

I know that some people think Mike makes all the moves but every press article coming out of Dove Valley has him giving people enough rope to hang themselves and stepping in when they are done. I really think we've reached that point.

Don't get me wrong though I still blame him for making Slowick the DC in the first place.

haroldthebarrel
11-23-2008, 11:03 AM
At this point I would be okay with taking the best defensive player available apart from CB or Will. We have so many holes that I think anyone would be an upgrade.

I also think that this is kind of the death knell for Slowick. There have just been too many personnel/scheme changes changes. It really looks like some one has stepped in to correct the mistakes that were made at the beginning of the season.

I know that some people think Mike makes all the moves but every press article coming out of Dove Valley has him giving people enough rope to hang themselves and stepping in when they are done. I really think we've reached that point.

Don't get me wrong though I still blame him for making Slowick the DC in the first place.

that is a good point. The defense started this year with players that do not play well, and he should have reallized that earlier to play rookies.

Barrett likely wont be having a good year and will probably just be on special teams, but should we blow out a team it would be nice to put in some of the unknowns so they at least get a taste of pro football.

This years draft is legendary already.

Lonestar
11-23-2008, 01:52 PM

great point but also remember it was mikey predicting a Playoff run this year..

A few scoffed at that as mostly no way we would get past SAN and go 13-3 to get that spot..

I think 95% of the folks on here would have never guessed at the melt down in SAN.. not if they are honest..

My take on what is going on is indeed the rope is being doled out, but mainly so he has another scape goat at the EOS..

Nomad
11-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Is Barrett starting or Roderick Rodgers? At BM, they are saying Rodgers is starting. I know nothing of the two so just wondering.

shank
11-23-2008, 05:36 PM
rodgers got the start, barrett is playing ST

broncofaninfla
11-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Any feedback on how Rodgers or Barret played in this game?

MOtorboat
11-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Any feedback on how Rodgers or Barret played in this game?

10-31.

broncofaninfla
11-24-2008, 09:51 AM
10-31.

LOL! nuff said

G_Money
11-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Barrett played special teams and was the first one down the field on the TD run. He funneled the guy toward the sidelines when he couldn't make a play on him....but no one else made a play either, and the dude scored. I wouldn't say it's on him, but the whole coverage on that play wasn't pretty.

Rogers...well, Russell only threw it 11 times, and most of those were to Lelie or to the TE covered by the LB. Not a lot to see.

~G

shank
11-24-2008, 11:33 AM
our gunner philosophy needs to change. it seems like they are taught, "fly in there with wreckless abandon, and try and make a spectacular play." when their concern should just be to be the one to make the tackle.

barrett did slow down and almost made the tackle, but got brushed just enough by the blocker to miss the tackle... but our gunners need to play punt coverage with the assumption that they are the ONLY person in position to make the play (which was the case on that return) rather than the assumption that they are the first of 11 players in position to make the play.

Traveler
11-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Barrett played special teams and was the first one down the field on the TD run. He funneled the guy toward the sidelines when he couldn't make a play on him....but no one else made a play either, and the dude scored. I wouldn't say it's on him, but the whole coverage on that play wasn't pretty.

Rogers...well, Russell only threw it 11 times, and most of those were to Lelie or to the TE covered by the LB. Not a lot to see.

~G

If you watch the return for the TD, had Larsen forced the guy blocking him towards the sideline instead of being tentative, Higgins wouldn't have scored. Not that it mattered in the end anyway. One of the few mistakes by Larsen.