PDA

View Full Version : Von Miller

MOtorboat
08-10-2011, 06:52 PM
This thread is about Von Miller. You are to talk about Miller and his impact on the defense of the Denver Broncos. Do not talk about other topics (read: anything not on defense) or I will life troll you. Ask Clay, its not fun.

To begin: Over/Under 7 sacks. Go.

chazoe60
08-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Over. I say 12.

shank
08-10-2011, 06:55 PM
over.

MOtorboat
08-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Over. I say 12.

First year? I think that's a bit much. Dumervil will get 12, though. I think Allen will drop Miller into coverage enough where he won't get more than at least 10, but I would say 8-10 is realistic on the optimistic side, which is why I set it at 7.

Canmore
08-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Seven is about right. I guess I'll be a homer and take the over.

zbeg
08-10-2011, 06:57 PM
I'll take the under, but only because the sacks will be split up between Dumervil and Miller - as a duo, I expect them both to be quite effective.

Also, I think it's a safe bet to take the under on pretty much anything involving rookies this year - the lockout is really going to make it hard for rookies to excel compared to what they could have done had we had a normal offseason.

Jsteve01
08-10-2011, 06:59 PM
last time we had two guys in double digits was Fletcher and Croel. Doom is a better pure pass rusher than Simon and I'v gotta think Miller is better than Croel. Im going over I've got them at 23 for the year 13 for Doom and 10 for Miller

MOtorboat
08-10-2011, 07:00 PM
last time we had two guys in double digits was Fletcher and Croel. Doom is a better pure pass rusher than Simon and I'v gotta think Miller is better than Croel. Im going over I've got them at 23 for the year 13 for Doom and 10 for Miller

That's a lot of sacks for a duo, Steve Dave. That means you believe pretty heavily in the interior line, no?

Softskull
08-10-2011, 07:01 PM
He gets 3 sacks in his first four games. Teams start to key in on his freakness. He ends the season with 8. Doom will still get his double digits. Ayers is the biggest benefactor of the Miller era. Ayers gets 9+.

Canmore
08-10-2011, 07:02 PM
If we're picking both Miller and Doom I've got 19, 12 for Doom and 7 for Miller. :defense:

MOtorboat
08-10-2011, 07:02 PM
He gets 3 sacks in his first four games. Teams start to key in on his freakness. He ends the season with 8. Doom will still get his double digits. Ayers is the biggest benefactor of the Miller era. Ayers gets 9+.

Whoa...

Canmore
08-10-2011, 07:04 PM

I've got Ayers penciled in for three. Hope it's much better than that.

Softskull
08-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Whoa...

I've got my preseason buzz going. I reserve the right to change all predictions shortly after the first game.

BeefStew25
08-10-2011, 07:19 PM
It really depends on how much they are on the field. If Orton keeps going three and out, I say Von is easily 20+ in sacks.

NightTerror218
08-10-2011, 07:20 PM
I say over because I think he is quicker then Doomer and might beat him to a few sacks.....I think he will make huge impact on our defense....or it will look like that with Doomer back and younger secondary.

dogfish
08-10-2011, 07:20 PM
if von is as advertised, we've got our freeney and mathis. . . now we just need peyton. . .

honestly. . . every time i think about it, it pisses me off that we could potentially have as good a pair of edge rushers as pittsburgh, and we're playing one of them as a 43 SAM. . . . if our run defense is as bad as i expect, i'm not sure how many opportunities to rush the passer miller is going to get. . .

i hope we continue using some one-DL amoeba looks on third downs, where the linebackers mill around before the snap and the line doesn't know for sure where doom and miller are coming from. . .

Lancane
08-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Miller: 15.5 sacks, 100+ tackles and DROY Award winner
Dumervile: 10.5 sacks
Ayers: 5 sacks
Jarmon 1.5 sacks
Harvey 3 sacks
Beal 1.5 sacks
Hunter 1 sack
Vickerson 2 sacks
Bunkley 5.5 sacks
Thomas 1.5 sacks
Warren 2.5 sacks
McBean .5 sack
Williams 3.5 sacks
Mays 1 sack
Robinson 1.5 sacks
Haggan .5 sack
Irving 2 sacks
Mohammed 3 sacks
Dawkins 2.5 sacks
Bailey 1.5 sacks
Moore 2 sacks

:D

NightTerror218
08-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Miller: 15.5 sacks, 100+ tackles and DROY Award winner
Dumervile: 10.5 sacks
Ayers: 5 sacks
Jarmon 1.5 sacks
Harvey 3 sacks
Beal 1.5 sacks
Hunter 1 sack
Vickerson 2 sacks
Bunkley 5.5 sacks
Thomas 1.5 sacks
Warren 2.5 sacks
McBean .5 sack
Williams 3.5 sacks
Mays 1 sack
Robinson 1.5 sacks
Haggan .5 sack
Irving 2 sacks
Mohammed 3 sacks
Dawkins 2.5 sacks
Bailey 1.5 sacks
Moore 2 sacks

:D

dayyyum that is a lot of sacks lol

dogfish
08-10-2011, 07:24 PM
cane, i'd give von better odds to get 15 than either ayers or bunkley to get five. . .

:laugh:

Canmore
08-10-2011, 07:24 PM

How many did we get last year?

BeefStew25
08-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Once Tebow starts, Von's productivity will go down, since we will finally have a good offense.

MOtorboat
08-10-2011, 07:27 PM
It really depends on how much they are on the field. If Orton keeps going three and out, I say Von is easily 20+ in sacks.

If I currently wasn't under your employ....

SR
08-10-2011, 07:28 PM

I've gotta agree with this. Numbers might be a little higher than what I'd say, but I, too, think Ayers will benefit most from Doom and Von Miller.

Lancane

Since I don't expect a lot from our offense, I expect a lot from our defense...like they better hit every-F'n-body that looks at them funny, I don't care if they have the ball, I wanna see blood and snot, people should shit their pants when we come to play, we won't win much but we'll bloody every offense we see!

;)

dogfish

finally got that pool boi position, MO?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-10-2011, 07:29 PM
What does this have to do with Tebow?

I am extremely excited to watch Miller. It's going to be really fun watching offenses try to figure out how to account for both Elvis and Von.

We could potentially be a top ten defense if we can stop the run......which I say with baited breath.

Lancane
08-10-2011, 07:30 PM
cane, i'd give von better odds to get 15 than either ayers or bunkley to get five. . .

No one expected Pee-Wee Herman to be yanking his meat at an adult theater either...sometimes people surprise the shit out of you!

:lol:

MOtorboat
08-10-2011, 07:30 PM

It is glorious. He allows me a Mai Tai every night after work...no salt of course.

MOtorboat
08-10-2011, 07:34 PM

I've gotta agree with this. Numbers might be a little higher than what I'd say, but I, too, think Ayers will benefit most from Doom and Von Miller.

I think people will be ultimately disappointed in Ayers' numbers, but Fox is going to ask him to set the edge more than get up field. Warren and Marcus Thomas will be the ones who benefit statistically. Their job will be to blow up the guard while Bunkley and Ayers sit at home.

SR
08-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I think people will be ultimately disappointed in Ayers' numbers, but Fox is going to ask him to set the edge more than get up field. Warren and Marcus Thomas will be the ones who benefit statistically. Their job will be to blow up the guard while Bunkley and Ayers sit at home.

I don't know...Ayers was a hell of a pass rusher in college and they say that skill is the easiest skill to carry in to the NFL. I think McDaniels moving him to 3-4 OLB was probably the worst thing for him. For some odd reason, I see him finding himself again as a 4-3 DE.

BeefStew25
I think by midseason, Orton will be our Mike on the weakside, and we will rotate Joe Mays over to DL to sub for Barkely and Gerrard Warren.

TXBRONC

No. He got a job with Ringling Bro and Barnum and Bailey Circus as a clown. You know one of those guys that come out of those really tiny cars. The pay is good but it's a little shot on benefits. :bolt:

J/K MO :D

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BeefStew25
08-10-2011, 07:38 PM
No. He got a job with Ringling Bro and Barnum and Bailey Circus as a clown. You know one of those guys that come out of those really tiny cars. The pay is good but it's a little shot on benefits. :bolt:

J/K MO :D

Dupe accounts are not allowed, NTL.

MOtorboat
I think by midseason, Orton will be our Mike on the weakside, and we will rotate Joe Mays over to DL to sub for Barkely and Gerrard Warren.

Charles Barkley?

dogfish
I don't know...Ayers was a hell of a pass rusher in college and they say that skill is the easiest skill to carry in to the NFL. I think McDaniels moving him to 3-4 OLB was probably the worst thing for him. For some odd reason, I see him finding himself again as a 4-3 DE.

you must have ayers confused with someone else, homie. . . he had four sacks his senior season, and i think like nine for his career. . . he's never been a good pass rusher. . .

Lancane
08-10-2011, 07:39 PM

It's not like I expect much from him Mo, but hopefully he proves to be more then we've seen.

BeefStew25
08-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Charles Barkley?

Bunkley or whatever.

MOtorboat
08-10-2011, 07:44 PM

you must have ayers confused with someone else, homie. . . he had four sacks his senior season, and i think like nine for his career. . . he's never been a good pass rusher. . .

This defense Fox and Allen want to run is fairly similar to the one he played at Tennessee, and he played both tackle and end there, and yes, he only had three sacks, but he led the SEC in TFL.

NightTerror218
08-10-2011, 07:45 PM
How many did we get last year?

I dont think every player on defense had sacks.

NightTerror218
08-10-2011, 07:46 PM
No one expected Pee-Wee Herman to be yanking his meat at an adult theater either...sometimes people surprise the shit out of you!

I thought it was a normal theater.....thought he was arrested for it.

Lancane
08-10-2011, 07:48 PM

It was an adult theater and he was arrested for it! :lol:

http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/p/Pee%20Wee%20Herman/pee__wee_herman.htm

MOtorboat
08-10-2011, 07:49 PM

Get out.

SR
08-10-2011, 07:50 PM

I must be drinking.

NightTerror218
08-10-2011, 07:50 PM

haha:laugh:

Lancane
08-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Get out.

No...I like it here! ;)

BeefStew25
08-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Pee Wee was in Sarasota, right? Man I bet he has been to a pickle park or two.

dogfish
08-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I must be drinking.

i should be drinking. . . .

Lancane
08-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Pee Wee was in Sarasota, right? Man I bet he has been to a pickle park or two.

I dunno it was somewhere in Florida I know that. But no one expected it...that's why used the pun of the story as a pseudo-advertence regarding that Bunkley and possibly Ayers could be surprises in the new defense scheme.

SR
i should be drinking. . . .

The hotel I'm staying at gives the guests drink tickets for every day they're here for four free drinks every day from 5:30-7pm. I usually get my free drinks.

TXBRONC
Dupe accounts are not allowed, NTL.

Go talk to your inflate-a-mate.

Medford Bronco
08-10-2011, 08:34 PM
I say 10 sacks and Doom has 12

I just hope we can stop the run though. That is the key to us getting better on D.

Ravage!!!
08-10-2011, 08:46 PM
I think von has a monster first year...surprising every OT he plays against dor the first time, everyone underestimating his speed and moves. 10-12

Lancane
08-10-2011, 09:03 PM
I think von has a monster first year...surprising every OT he plays against dor the first time, everyone underestimating his speed and moves. 10-12

I agree Rav, I think he's going to have a monster year whilst the defense and offense struggle to come together, but enough to raise the play of some around him...and will likely be a candidate for defensive rookie of the year as well.

horsepig
08-10-2011, 09:11 PM

Really, I wasn't exactly shocked by that one.

BeefStew25
08-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Great thread guys.

But I compare the sack to the blocked shot in basketball. Yeah, you might get them, but what if that leaves your backer area exposed?

Another thing that reminds me of basketball is Tebow's jump pass TD passes.

red98
08-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Really, I wasn't exactly shocked by that one.

Yeah I don't think anyone who paid any attention to Pee Wee was surprised about that. Maybe the getting caught part?

Also:
Von Miller = 13 sacks

WARHORSE
08-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I think Miller and Doom will be the cause of alot of other sacks as well. The other LBs and the Dlinemen will get more because of their pressure.

The Blue Von DooM will be awesome rushing the passer, however, playing from behind, opposing teams are going to be doing alot of running methinks.

I say Miller gets 14, and Doom gets 19.

There will be another 15 or so from the rest of the guys.

Yeah....we're going to heat it up.:salute:

dogfish
08-10-2011, 09:42 PM
I think Miller and Doom will be the cause of alot of other sacks as well. The other LBs and the Dlinemen will get more because of their pressure.

The Blue Von DooM will be awesome rushing the passer, however, playing from behind, opposing teams are going to be doing alot of running methinks.

I say Miller gets 14, and Doom gets 19.

There will be another 15 or so from the rest of the guys.

Yeah....we're going to heat it up.:salute:

that would challenge for the all-time single season club sack record, so i'm guessing probably not quite. . .

;)

Lancane
08-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Yeah I don't think anyone who paid any attention to Pee Wee was surprised about that. Maybe the getting caught part?

Also:
Von Miller = 13 sacks

I dunno...I always thought it would be Mr. Rogers who was the sick one...him and his damn sweaters!

BeefStew25
08-10-2011, 09:48 PM
I think as a team, we should be around 70 sacks for the season. 75 if Nate Irving grows a brain.

G_Money
08-10-2011, 09:50 PM
I don't know...Ayers was a hell of a pass rusher in college for one year and they say that skill is the easiest skill to carry in to the NFL.

Fixed that for ya SR.

Ask Vernon Gholston how well sacks translate. Or our own Jarvis Moss, even though he wasn't the same record-setter that Gholston was. I think Ayers only played hard when a draft position was at stake, is a punk with a shriveled sack and I expect him to flop tremendously, in fact. Here's hoping he can be brilliant, but I expect basically nothing from him.

Miller though... Over 7 sacks, but if we still fail at run D it's gonna be hard to sack a QB who just keeps handing the ball off for 6 yard chunks.

Gotta see what D we're running. After next year when we finish the defensive makeover I expect double digits from Miller for sure. This year he could get there...but it's gonna require a team effort. I'm looking at you, inside-tackle-rejects.

Let's get it done.

~G

horsepig
08-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Lord, I hope we don't see a lot of flare passes for 30-40 yard gains when VonDoom leave a huge hole on the strong side.

BeefStew25
08-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Fixed that for ya SR.

Ask Vernon Gholston how well sacks translate. Or our own Jarvis Moss, even though he wasn't the same record-setter that Gholston was. I think Ayers only played hard when a draft position was at stake, is a punk with a shriveled sack and I expect him to flop tremendously, in fact. Here's hoping he can be brilliant, but I expect basically nothing from him.

Miller though... Over 7 sacks, but if we still fail at run D it's gonna be hard to sack a QB who just keeps handing the ball off for 6 yard chunks.

Gotta see what D we're running. After next year when we finish the defensive makeover I expect double digits from Miller for sure. This year he could get there...but it's gonna require a team effort. I'm looking at you, inside-tackle-rejects.

Let's get it done.

~G

Hi G hope all is well.

So, what the funk is going on with Nate Irving?

G_Money
08-10-2011, 09:57 PM
The weight of his dreds is dragging his skull earth-ward and making it tough for him to not be a dumbass. Also, oxygen deprivation.

He'll be fine once he ups his red blood cell count. :salute:

~G

G_Money
08-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Lord, I hope we don't see a lot of flare passes for 30-40 yard gains when VonDoom leave a huge hole on the strong side.

We should be in press coverage at that point, one would think. I'm curious to see how we plan to use our DBs. I mean, we can run safety blitzes as Doom drops into coverage just to mess with folks once Von has em jittery.

Pass pressure defenses are by definition fluid animals that are adjusted on the fly. How and when to bring pressure is an art, not a science.

Hope our guy has a paint brush and full set of paints and not an etch-a-sketch or a pair of sticks to rub together like most of our recent, non-Nolan DCs.

~G

horsepig
08-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Good post G.

BeefStew25
08-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Cassius Vaughn has been playing well, no?

MOtorboat
08-10-2011, 10:12 PM
We should be in press coverage at that point, one would think. I'm curious to see how we plan to use our DBs. I mean, we can run safety blitzes as Doom drops into coverage just to mess with folks once Von has em jittery.

Pass pressure defenses are by definition fluid animals that are adjusted on the fly. How and when to bring pressure is an art, not a science.

Hope our guy has a paint brush and full set of paints and not an etch-a-sketch or a pair of sticks to rub together like most of our recent, non-Nolan DCs.

~G

It's been my understanding that its more about explosion up front than it is confusion, and by that I mean penetration from the outside and the three tech with the idea that the nose and strong-side end will hold the wall enough for the linebackers to be able to both cover the pass and make plays against the running game. There's a lot of onus on Joe Mays to be able to be that guy in the middle, and ultimately, you hope Nate Irving is our Curtis Lofton.

I think Dawkins will play close to the line much of the early part of the season. The question about that is whether Rahim Moore can be the ball hawk that allows the defense to cheat up front with Dawkins (Or Carter). I have confidence in Bailey, Goodman, Squid and Cox to get it done on the outside, I'm just concerned about the interior of the defense - Bunkley, Mays/Irving/Williams and Dawkins.

G_Money
08-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Dawk said he wasn't gonna have to be a LB strictly in the box sort this year, which is why he slimmed down so that his coverage skills wouldn't suck so bad.

I dunno what method we'll be using to get to the QB. Fox and Allen were instrumental in two slightly different forms of defense, and what melding they're going to make between opportunistic, attacking secondaries and edge rushing with anchors in the middle I dunno.

The interior is my concern as well. I like Irving, but he's not our starting MLB right now and I'm not a huge fan of any of our DTs nor a big believer in the specialness of Joe Mays. I don't WANT Dawk to have to play in the box all the time, but if he has to hopefully our corners and Moore/Carter can get it done at safety in coverage.

~G

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Dawk said he wasn't gonna have to be a LB strictly in the box sort this year, which is why he slimmed down so that his coverage skills wouldn't suck so bad.

I dunno what method we'll be using to get to the QB. Fox and Allen were instrumental in two slightly different forms of defense, and what melding they're going to make between opportunistic, attacking secondaries and edge rushing with anchors in the middle I dunno.

The interior is my concern as well. I like Irving, but he's not our starting MLB right now and I'm not a huge fan of any of our DTs nor a big believer in the specialness of Joe Mays. I don't WANT Dawk to have to play in the box all the time, but if he has to hopefully our corners and Moore/Carter can get it done at safety in coverage.

~G

Dawkins lost weight?

Jsteve01
08-10-2011, 10:48 PM
That's a lot of sacks for a duo, Steve Dave. That means you believe pretty heavily in the interior line, no?

I am a very big Marcus Thomas fan. I read today that the ultimate goal is to have he and Warren start and Bunk and Vick rotate

So yes, I think Vickerson is ok and I believe Bunk holds POA, I really think by midseason barring injury, Thomas and Warren start to put the hurt on people. This attacking one gap scheme fits all these tackles to a t

Jsteve01
08-10-2011, 10:50 PM

you work for beef?

MOtorboat
08-10-2011, 10:53 PM
you work for beef?

In a manner, yes. What are you doing on Dec. 11, 2011?

BroncoJoe
08-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Dawkins lost weight?

He took a pay cut, so his wallet is lighter.

Jsteve01
08-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Great thread guys.

But I compare the sack to the blocked shot in basketball. Yeah, you might get them, but what if that leaves your backer area exposed?

Another thing that reminds me of basketball is Tebow's jump pass TD passes.

I don't like the blocked shot analogy Beef....we both know that sacks impact he game more than blocks, but Im with you on blocks...Mutombo had a lot of people fooled into thinking he was a good defender because he blocked shots....The dream and Robinson were good defenders...Dikembe no.

Von Miller....threw taht in in there for you Mo

WARHORSE
08-10-2011, 11:08 PM
that would challenge for the all-time single season club sack record, so i'm guessing probably not quite. . .

;)

Yeah, I figure if Im gonna guess......go big.:beer:

Ravage!!!
08-10-2011, 11:09 PM
This league is about passing and getting TOO the passer. Sacks are a LOT LOT more important than blocked shots in basketball. Its not even close to being compaible.

BeefStew25
08-10-2011, 11:12 PM
This league is about passing and getting TOO the passer. Sacks are a LOT LOT more important than blocked shots in basketball. Its not even close to being compaible.

But sometimes you just can't get back on the sell out. Trust me. I sell people out daily.

Agent of Orange
08-10-2011, 11:24 PM
This thread is about Von Miller. You are to talk about Miller and his impact on the defense of the Denver Broncos. Do not talk about other topics (read: anything not on defense) or I will life troll you. Ask Clay, its not fun.

To begin: Over/Under 7 sacks. Go.

I'm going to say over 7 sacks. But I'm a little concerned that they'll have a problem sending him on blitzes. I'm a little worried that our other LBs risk being exploited if they send Miller. Still though, if you're going to draft him, you have to send him after the QB. Getting in the backfield and going after the QB is his best skill. I really hope they dont use his atheticism to cover because other LBs arent athletic enough. When I say that, Joe Mays is who I have in mind. He was traded away from Philly because he wasn't athletic enough.

Sometimes I have to remind myself though that Fox and Allen are better than some of the guys we've had.

Agent of Orange
08-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Fixed that for ya SR.

Let's get it done.

~G

One big reason for doing so poorly against the run was that we also did really poorly against the pass. Mainly, Im talking about getting to the QB. If you can get off the field on 3rd downs, it can really help your defense cut down on rushing yards allowed. Combine that with an improved running game, and things could make the run defense appear a lot better this year.

When you think about it, 3rd and 4 in most circumstances is a passing down. Im sure we had several 3rd and 4s or 3rd and 3s there we let the other team stay on the field. Perhaps with Doom and Miller, that will change. Adding a ballhawking S like Moore (assuming thats what he actually is) could also really be a big help.

Jsteve01
08-10-2011, 11:39 PM
In a manner, yes. What are you doing on Dec. 11, 2011?

not sure. Why mo?

Jsteve01
08-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Fixed that for ya SR.

Let's get it done.

~G
if you're looking for double digit sacks from Ayers, you've got his game all wrong. What he's good at is setting the edge. Just look at how much Denver's run d deteriorated after he got hurt last year.

Magnificent Seven
08-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Better than Meckenberg?

BroncoNut
08-11-2011, 11:58 AM
I'd say 7 would be pretty good for him his first year. That's a good number Mo.

jhildebrand
08-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Over. He will start on a tear because teams will focus on Dumervil to see if Miller can deliver. He will, they will adjust, and he will see the sacks slow. I see 8 or 9.

NightTerror218
08-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Over. He will start on a tear because teams will focus on Dumervil to see if Miller can deliver. He will, they will adjust, and he will see the sacks slow. I see 8 or 9.

But with Doomer and Miller, you cant over compensate on 1 and let the other be more free. I see teams try to focus too much on those 2 from the edges and it will screw up blocking for running or open a gap for ayers, warren, thomas, bunkley or other DTs to get through.

jhildebrand
08-11-2011, 12:26 PM
But with Doomer and Miller, you cant over compensate on 1 and let the other be more free. I see teams try to focus too much on those 2 from the edges and it will screw up blocking for running or open a gap for ayers, warren, thomas, bunkley or other DTs to get through.

But they will run all over us. Can't get sacks when teams are running.

NightTerror218
08-11-2011, 12:29 PM
But they will run all over us. Can't get sacks when teams are running.

No but you can distract the blockers and screw up assignments if you are forcing double blockers on Von and Doom. You never seen a guy come around the edge and tackle a runner while he is waiting for a hole to open?

cuzz4169
08-11-2011, 12:57 PM
12 sacks...no way Allen does not put him in a position to get to the QB.

underrated29
08-11-2011, 01:05 PM
people keep saying teams will be running for 6 yards at a time against us. but they forget last year...

Last year, most teams did NOT run for 6 yards against us each time. It was actually a pretty low and reasonable number. The problem was and Is- the BIG PLAY!!

Our defense gave up More Big Plays than anyone last year, buy a long long shot. When we werent doing that, we were holding teams to a better number. CJ2k can tell you all about it. So can Jamal Charles and Shonne greene and LT...

When we didnt let those guys get the big 40, 50 60 yard plays on us multiple times, like we let darrent mcfadden do. We shut them down decently. I look for us to Vastly improve the big play potential of our D from last year. Thus, keeping the run d from getting gashed. Thus, keeping the opposing runners to a better/ average yard per carry. Thus, teams will not run at will on us, THUS, von doom will have a fair few opportunities to get their jobs done.

Thus, if anyone else says the word thus, we should kick them in the balls.

slim
08-11-2011, 01:21 PM

This.

Teams have to account for Doom. I say 10 sacks is reasonable for young Von.

xzn
08-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Elvis - 12
Von - 10
Ayers - 6
DJ - 2
Thomas - 3
Vickerson - 3
Warren - 2
Bunkley -1
Jarmon - 1
Dawkins - 1
Champ - 1

That's 42 total. Would have been 8th last year.

If we don't stop the run it will be a lot less...

HORSEPOWER 56
08-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Under. Demarcus Ware and Clay Matthews had 9 and 10 sacks respectively their rookie seasons playing for two defensive 3-4 gurus (Phillips and Capers) who used them as pass rushers almost exclusively and didn't really task them with much else responsibility wise.

Miller is playing SAM in a 4-3 (a position he's NEVER played before - he was OLB in a 3-4 and DE in a 4-3) which means he will have run and coverage responsibilities along with just being able to blitz or put a hand in the dirt on 3rd and long. Combine this with a first year DC and no other proven pass rusher than Doom and I'm thinking somewhere in the 4-5 range if he stays healthy.

TXBRONC
08-11-2011, 06:46 PM
This.

Teams have to account for Doom. I say 10 sacks is reasonable for young Von.

Teams will probably slide protection towards Dumervil at first and if things go the way I hope is that it won't last very long and offensive coordinators will be say shit how do we pass defend against these two?

SR
08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Under. Demarcus Ware and Clay Matthews had 9 and 10 sacks respectively their rookie seasons playing for two defensive 3-4 gurus (Phillips and Capers) who used them as pass rushers almost exclusively and didn't really task them with much else responsibility wise.

Miller is playing SAM in a 4-3 (a position he's NEVER played before - he was OLB in a 3-4 and DE in a 4-3) which means he will have run and coverage responsibilities along with just being able to blitz or put a hand in the dirt on 3rd and long. Combine this with a first year DC and no other proven pass rusher than Doom and I'm thinking somewhere in the 4-5 range if he stays healthy.

This makes the most sense to me. Though, you have to keep in mind that it's almost a guarantee that Miller will be rushing the passer on third and long...and with Doom on the other side, the offensive line won't be able to double team Doom AND Miller, which will allow for Ayers and the interior linemen to rush the passer. I think, if anything, the combination of the two will open up sacks for other players as well.

Canmore
08-11-2011, 07:30 PM
This makes the most sense to me. Though, you have to keep in mind that it's almost a guarantee that Miller will be rushing the passer on third and long...and with Doom on the other side, the offensive line won't be able to double team Doom AND Miller, which will allow for Ayers and the interior linemen to rush the passer. I think, if anything, the combination of the two will open up sacks for other players as well.

I'm really hoping your scenario plays out. I agree, Miller and Dumervil should help the other get some sacks. We hardly can be any worse than last year and should be way better. :defense:

dogfish
08-11-2011, 10:39 PM
i didn't get to watch the first quarter, did he make any plays tonight?

Ziggy
08-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Not really. Dallas's first team offense marched right down the field on us, and our D stiffened late in the drive. They pulled the starting d out after the first play of the second series.

Von was credited with 2 tackles, 1 solo, but he didn't make any drive changing plays. Romo has a quick release.

MileHiWildcat
08-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Was Miller even in there ? He was invisible.

WARHORSE
08-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Was Miller even in there ? He was invisible.

Nope. No one was in there on either defense.

Invisible Ds.:coffee:

muse
08-12-2011, 05:52 AM
No sacks, bust.

weazel
08-12-2011, 10:48 AM
I think Tebow will get over 7 sacks!

Oh, sorry Miller

Nomad
08-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Nope. No one was in there on either defense.

Invisible Ds.:coffee:

I'm curious to see how Detroit does tonight and Buffalo on Saturday night!

BTW, that Fire & Ice Bowl (Alaska HS vs Hawaii HS) turned out to be a good game. Hawaii seems to have solid teams.

CoachChaz
08-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I'll be the first to piss people off

Doom - 7 sacks
Miller - 5 sacks
Ayers - 8 sacks

BigDaddyBronco
08-12-2011, 12:12 PM
I'll be the first to piss people off

Doom - 7 sacks
Miller - 5 sacks
Ayers - 8 sacks

No way Ayers gets 8 sacks....

jhildebrand
08-12-2011, 12:24 PM
I would downgrade my prediction of over after yesterday. However, it is important to remember the starters played sparingly and vanilla. Let's also see what Warren on the line can provide. However, I am concerned that this D is so devoid of talent that Miller's impact may be similar to Hali's in KC early on due to the lack of talent.