PDA

View Full Version : Cecil Lammey on Tuesday practice (twitter)

titan
08-10-2011, 12:25 AM
@cecillammey
here's the day 13 notes from #broncos HQ...first off DC Dennis Allen is a great teacher, fantastic tips & insight for vets & younger guys

Brian Xanders said in an interview on @TheTicketDenver that Denver has an 8-man group of scouts that scour the bottom 40 of every team

Looking for potential waiver wire additions, cuts are getting close and #broncos may not be done making moves

starting w/QBs - Kyle Orton should know better than to test Champ Bailey, he targeted Eric Decker on slant, CB ducked under & snagged fball

I felt Decker could have helped Orton on that throw by using his frame better to 'box out' Bailey

body control needs to be precise, even on quicker, shorter routes like inside slants - keep defender away from the ball at all costs

Orton's recent comments about pleasing the fans last did not sit well with some at practice, heckling for KO continues

some wondered aloud after Bailey pick if the cheers were for the vet CB or were they for Orton looking bad

rinse, repeat for Orton in practice - looks good when he can't get hit, not much to add, just waiting to see him handle pressure in a game

Tebow struggled again today, locked onto Orange Julius thru ENTIRE route, got it picked off

when he's waiting for route to come over he should at least look off, not just stare at a guy running a long developing route

listen, talk about Tebow's throwing motion if ####ed out - he's never going to have a clean motion - his biggest hurdle is mental side of gm

I want to see Tebow read progressions quickly, hit back step on drop and fire, presnap reads also need improvement

If Tebow can read the defense better before the ball is snapped it will help his anticipation, help him 'see' the field better

Tebow's bark can draw defense offsides, however on a scramble he got careless with the football, fumble lost and frustration mounts

Tebow was bootlegging, something that plays to his strength, however he couldn't outrun DOOM who 'sacked' him coming from other side

Brady Quinn continues to look impressive, but like Orton I want to see him do it in a game - the confidence needs to carry over

Quinn is firing in a good rhythm most of the time, he liked finding David Anderson who manages to ALWAYS be open

Quinn did double clutch a pass, something that is usually a no-no -- however, he saw Anderson come free on a diff route and changed his mind

Again, trusting what he sees/feels - using his knowledge/instincts, not acting like a robot

The double clutch from Brady Quinn was reminiscent of #steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger, motion almost thru, holds up, redirects then fires

At first I was like 'tsk, tsk' then saw what Quinn did after he reset and I was like 'nice!' - Brady Quinn's play continues to refresh

b4 I get to RBs, I just want to say how nice it is to see @johnelway on the sidelines monitoring practice every day

In my opinion, part of getting the most out of this team will mean making Knowshon Moreno the backup/change of pace RB

Once again Moreno was completely outplayed by Willis McGahee

for those who say McGahee can't carry 220+ times because 'he hasn't done it in 3 yrs' I say this: HE WAS BACKING UP RAY RICE 1 of the best!

McGahee's lack of carries says to me 'fresh legs' not 'guy can't carry heavy load' - can some please get a #realitycheck ????

Anyway, back to Moreno -- he was hitting the hole hard, when it's there, cannot gather himself and change direction quickly

That's a bad combination for a guy playing in a zone system, he's too hesitant, will run right into back of OL then bounce outside 2 nothing

If the play is designed to go outside then Moreno can get you 5yds, but if he has to bounce from clogged hole it's a loss of yards

wanna know how bad DJ Williams is in coverage? Moreno slipped *gasp* on route, still got open against DJ caught pass for 10yd gain

final point on Moreno, outside runs have to stay outside, can't run the stretch because of lack of suddenness

Wanna know how bad Woodyard is in coverage? McGahee easily got open versus him on out route, Willis gr8 runner, avg receiver

Willis first run was a big cutback for 30yd TD, he pressed the hole, wiggled (to freeze D) then cutback to wide open lane...6 points

great runners know how to 'set up' or 'toy' with the defense - McGahee understands what he needs to do in order to be effective in 2nd level

McGahee ran strong again and looks to be the best pure runner on this team, nice blend of size/power/speed - bigger runs than Lightness (27)

quick note on CJ Gable, showed crisp cuts and good change of direction skills, better in open field not determined inside runner

LenDale White ran better today, pressed 2 hole one step cutback led to 20yd gain up the middle got to top 'speed' quickly

White continues to show good footwork (not a surprise) and has a good understanding of where holes are going to be in this offense

Lance Ball started out cold, but got better as the day went on - swallowed up on early runs, still runs low w/good leg drive though

saving the best for last here: Jeremiah Johnson, guy just needs to stay healthy and he could play his way into a role here

Johnson is unlikely to crack the starting lineup unless injuries hit in front of him on the depth chart, can be valuable backup IMHO

rinse/repeat on earlier reports from JJ, his best play of the day came when he turned a loss of 8yds into a 5yd gain

before I get to WRs just a note that Eddie Royal sat out today's practice for precautionary reasons

$$$Lloyd makes it look so easy, a treat to watch him every day in practice, tip toe TD catches, insane body control, twisting catches

no Eddie meant more of Decker, commented on poor route earlier, ED also inconsistent catching the football, seems frustrated at times

Matthew Willis had a good day showing ability to catch out of reach passes by extra burst when ball comes in

David Anderson just gets open and catches everything, that equals a QBs best friend right there!

Anderson never going to be big play threat but can work short and underneath routes, knows how to find soft spots in a zone

Richard Quinn sprained his knee, no word on severity, he stayed in after it happened for a play or two

I give him credit for staying in after getting twisted up, but next play he missed his block cause he couldn't get to defender

speaking of missing blocks, on to Virgil Green! still reaching, not using his frame to square up defenders as a blocker

I went to Orange Julius tonight and couldn't stop thinking about Julius Thomas!

Orange Julius is such a good listener, really takes to coaching well, will get a tip then immediately implements it to his game

being raw can sometimes be beneficial because there's no bad habits or preconceived notions, JT caught TD pass from Orton today

final point of the night: Daniel Fells looks strong as blocker, caught TD pass from Orton too - 2TE sets will feature he & JT I believe