PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Davis 98 season greatest ever for a runningback

Jsteve01
08-09-2011, 11:20 PM
http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3810_LT%2C_TD_big_winners_on_%27rusher_rating%2 7_list.html

Great analysis. It's why I love sites like this. footballoutsiders.com and profootballfocus.com are great too.

Anyway they make a fantastic case for Terrell. I hope this guy gets in at some point. If Sayers made it TD should too

topscribe
08-09-2011, 11:31 PM
I forget now whom I was listening to, but they said if TD had just a couple more
years, there would be no argument. I have to go along with that.

Something else I noticed there: If you slide on down the page to the rushers in
2010, you will see Willis McGahee ranked #7 there. Now the Broncos have him. :beer:

-----

BeefStew25
08-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Oh hey top. I expected an argument from you that Derek Loville was under appreciated and should have played over TD.

topscribe
08-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Oh hey top. I expected an argument from you that Derek Loville was under appreciated and should have played over TD.

I never really thought Derek was that kind of guy, let alone TD . . .

-----

EMB6903
08-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Ive said it on this forum multiple times and Ill say it again.

Yes TD had a short career in the NFL... Much shorter than most HOFers.

What didnt he accomplish though?

3x pro bowler= check
3x all pro= check
20+ TD season= check
2000+ yards rushing= check
League MVP= check
Superbowl MVP= check
2 Superbowl rings= check

Not to mention TD had 7 100+ yards rushing in 8 games (7 straight) and the one game he didnt against the Jags in 96 he had 91 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns.

Ill argue TD being the greatest playoff RB against anybody in the history of the game. He was that good along with him being the 2nd most deserved Bronco to be in the HOF.

Its a shame the voters look at overall numbers instead of overall accomplishments...

Canmore
08-10-2011, 12:04 AM

3x pro bowler= check
3x all pro= check
20+ TD season= check
League MVP= check
Superbowl MVP= check
2 Superbowl rings= check

Not to mention TD had 7 100+ yards rushing in 8 games (7 straight) and the one game he didnt against the Jags in 96 he had 91 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns.

Ill argue TD being the greatest playoff RB against anybody in the history of the game. He was that good along with him being the 2nd most deserved Bronco to be in the HOF.

Its a shame the voters look at overall numbers instead of overall accomplishments...

Agreed. He averaged 143 yards a game and 5.6 yards a carry in the playoffs! Absolutely astounding and unheard of numbers. Quite simply the best playoff runningback of all time. In his prime, I felt he was the best back in football, no offence to Barry Sanders. He was the best short yardage and goaline back in football. He may yet make the Hall of Fame, but I'm not holding my breath. :salute:

tomjonesrocks
08-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Oh my God, a topic I enjoy reading about...!

zbeg
08-10-2011, 12:22 AM
http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3810_LT%2C_TD_big_winners_on_%27rusher_rating%2 7_list.html

Great analysis. It's why I love sites like this. footballoutsiders.com and profootballfocus.com are great too.

Anyway they make a fantastic case for Terrell. I hope this guy gets in at some point. If Sayers made it TD should too

I don't think Sayers should have gotten in, and his inclusion was a mistake.

If you think it was a mistake, then I don't think it should be compounded by saying, "X got in as a mistake, so that justifies Y."

Personally, TD had ridiculous peak value, but I think you also need good career value as a running back. I just don't think he quite has enough to get in IMO.

Canmore
08-10-2011, 12:31 AM

If you think it was a mistake, then I don't think it should be compounded by saying, "X got in as a mistake, so that justifies Y."

Personally, TD had ridiculous peak value, but I think you also need good career value as a running back. I just don't think he quite has enough to get in IMO.

On that point we will disagree. I don't think TD should get in because Sayers did, I think Davis should get in because he was the greatest postseason back in the history of the game! Tried looking it up but was unsuccesful so I'm just going off of memory. TD averaged 143 yards a game on the biggest stage in the NFL, the playoffs. The next closest was iirc (and someone can correct me if they can find the stats) Jim Brown and he averaged like 103 a game post season. The difference is around 40 yards a game and that's from arguably the greatest back in the history of the game. Terrell Davis earned the right to be in the Hall of Fame.

Canmore
08-10-2011, 01:37 AM

Excellant information. Someone trying to quantify runningbacks like they do quarterbacks. Don't know if this will catch on but it is really interesting to look at todays players and players from past eras. I know that Terrell had an absolutely phonomenal 1998 season and ran for the most yards both regular and postseason combined in the history of the game, but to have his regular season rated the best in the history of the game is some vindication for those of us that have been saying he belongs in the Hall of Fame. Even if his career was cut short by injuries.

Northman
08-10-2011, 03:48 AM

3x pro bowler= check
3x all pro= check
20+ TD season= check
League MVP= check
Superbowl MVP= check
2 Superbowl rings= check

Yep, he deserves to be in. No question in my mind. Guys with longer careers dont even have those accomplishments.

Jsteve01
08-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Yep, he deserves to be in. No question in my mind. Guys with longer careers dont even have those accomplishments.

the argument at rb right now has become quantity over quality. People are talking about guys like Bettis and Martin, who were very good backs but never not once in their career were they the best back in the game. TD was that guy for two years, and that in league that had names like Sanders and Smith. He deserves to be in. Injuries should never be the reason a guy doesn't make it. If TD had played for a Dallas or NY I don't even think we're having this debate right now.

It's odd that Sharpe has two guys in his life with the same argument for the Hall. Sterling is the same guy. He revolutionized the WR position with his size and athletic ability and was quite simply the best WR in the game during his prime.

MasterShake
08-10-2011, 10:17 AM

How do you judge a persons career for the HOF though? I'd hate to think longetivity trumps productivity. TD did more in his short time here than some do in a 8-10 year career.

Northman
08-10-2011, 11:03 AM
the argument at rb right now has become quantity over quality. People are talking about guys like Bettis and Martin, who were very good backs but never not once in their career were they the best back in the game. TD was that guy for two years, and that in league that had names like Sanders and Smith. He deserves to be in. Injuries should never be the reason a guy doesn't make it. If TD had played for a Dallas or NY I don't even think we're having this debate right now.

It's odd that Sharpe has two guys in his life with the same argument for the Hall. Sterling is the same guy. He revolutionized the WR position with his size and athletic ability and was quite simply the best WR in the game during his prime.

Totally agree with you.

Northman
08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
How do you judge a persons career for the HOF though? I'd hate to think longetivity trumps productivity. TD did more in his short time here than some do in a 8-10 year career.

Yep. Guys like Smith and Tomlinson have great career records but neither has ever rushed for over 2,000 yds in a season.

Agent of Orange
08-10-2011, 01:17 PM

3x pro bowler= check
3x all pro= check
20+ TD season= check
League MVP= check
Superbowl MVP= check
2 Superbowl rings= check

Whats lame is that the HOF is supposed to be for great players. Everything you just listed screams greatness.

At no point in Jerome Bettis' or Curtis Martin's careeers were either more great than Terrell Davis but they'll get in and he won't because they have a couple more decent seasons? Dumb. Never mind the fact that they completely lack the great seasons Terrell put up. Saying someone deserves to get in because they have a couple more 1200 yard seasons than Terrell when they completely lack his obvious accomplishments is the epitome of stupid.

BroncoNut
08-10-2011, 01:22 PM

Sayers was a Bear. He was a friend of Brian Piccalo's. They roomed together on the road.

Jsteve01
08-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Yep. Guys like Smith and Tomlinson have great career records but neither has ever rushed for over 2,000 yds in a season.

you wont like the bottom half of the article if you're worried about Tomlinson and Smith lol. And I don't neccessarily think that 2k should the the standard for the HOF or no one would get in lol

dogfish
08-10-2011, 01:40 PM
this thread's missing something. . . .

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6269/saluteq.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/saluteq.jpg/)

there we go! :salute:

Jsteve01
08-10-2011, 01:49 PM
oddly enough two former Broncos in Hillis and Torain ranked above Moreno in rankings last year lol

Northman
08-10-2011, 01:59 PM
you wont like the bottom half of the article if you're worried about Tomlinson and Smith lol. And I don't neccessarily think that 2k should the the standard for the HOF or no one would get in lol

Im not saying it should be the standard, but considering that in the long history of running backs ONLY 8 of them have ever surpassed that number does stand out.

BroncoNut
08-10-2011, 02:02 PM
oddly enough two former Broncos in Hillis and Torain ranked above Moreno in rankings last year lol

Torrain? he's like a glass doll isn't he? he had a good year?

BORDERLINE
08-10-2011, 02:09 PM
T.D should be in no doubt. What more can this man have done??

He could have had 2,300 rushing yards easy had they not rested him the second half of games when we where on top of teams by 21 points.

Oh the good ol' days

Agent of Orange
08-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Nor should missing a couple of 1,200 yard seasons omit you. Additionally, in the entire history of the NFL, it's only happened twice where the leagues leading rusher also played on the SB champion that year. When Emmitt Smith did it in the early 90s he was the first and then in 98 when Davis did it, he became the 2nd. Since 1998, I think the closest to doing it might have been Cory Dillon with the Patriots in 2004. He had a lot of yards that year but Im not sure if he led the league in rushing.

Agent of Orange
08-10-2011, 02:13 PM
T.D should be in no doubt. What more can this man have done??

He could have had 2,300 rushing yards easy had they not rested him the second half of games when we where on top of teams by 21 points.

Oh the good ol' days

Remember the Eagles game that year? I think he could have had an extra 200 yards in that game alone. He barely played that game and still had over 150 yards.

Northman
08-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Remember the Eagles game that year? I think he could have had an extra 200 yards in that game alone. He barely played that game and still had over 150 yards.

Yea, i think he had like 128 yds after the first quarter or something like that.

Agent of Orange
08-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Yea, i think he had like 128 yds after the first quarter or something like that.

Wow, I didnt think he had 20 carries that game.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199810040den.htm

But still, he averaged 8.5 yards per carry. Conversely, check out Loville and Hebron. Loville averaged about 3 yards per carry and Hebron averaged a little over 4 yards per carry that day. This just goes to show that it wasn't all the offensive line. I've seen a lot of people, even Denver fans, buy into the garbage from the national media that any RB can do it. Well, here's a clear indicator of how who you have back there carrying the ball makes a big difference.

dogfish
08-10-2011, 02:47 PM

But still, he averaged 8.5 yards per carry. Conversely, check out Loville and Hebron. Loville averaged about 3 yards per carry and Hebron averaged a little over 4 yards per carry that day. This just goes to show that it wasn't all the offensive line. I've seen a lot of people, even Denver fans, buy into the garbage from the national media that any RB can do it. Well, here's a clear indicator of how who you have back there carrying the ball makes a big difference.

anyone who propogates that "it was the line" bullshit in regards to TD should be stabbed. . . .

Northman
08-10-2011, 02:53 PM
anyone who propogates that "it was the line" bullshit in regards to TD should be stabbed. . . .

I can think of one person who does that. But then again he isnt a mikey fan either. :lol:

WARHORSE
08-10-2011, 02:58 PM

Or the game against Dallas in which he took a handoff 60+ yards into the endzone, and then the very next handoff, he took that 60+ into the endzone as well.

He had like 165 yards at half, and sat him.

In the year he had over 2000, he sat the equivalent of 8 and a half quarters I believe.....more than two complete games.

Also, hes the only back to go seven consecutive playoff games with 100 yards or more on the ground in each of them.

Terrells power was underated and underappreciated. Those thick hammys allowed him to power through alot of tackles without even leaning.

Low pad level, some shiftiness, and most of all, unreal vision. He saw it all.

Agent of Orange
08-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Or the game against Dallas in which he took a handoff 60+ yards into the endzone, and then the very next handoff, he took that 60+ into the endzone as well.

He had like 165 yards at half, and sat him.

In the year he had over 2000, he sat the equivalent of 8 and a half quarters I believe.....more than two complete games.

Also, hes the only back to go seven consecutive playoff games with 100 yards or more on the ground in each of them.
Terrells power was underated and underappreciated. Those thick hammys allowed him to power through alot of tackles without even leaning.

Low pad level, some shiftiness, and most of all, unreal vision. He saw it all.

The 7 consecutive games of getting 100 is among the most impressive of all of his accomplishments. Think about it. This isnt leaving Brady in against the worst team in the league to run up the score. This is going against the best defenses in the league with them knowing what was coming and still not stopping it en route to winning two championships. He did it against 3-4 defenses and they did it against 4-3 with behemoths like Gilbert Brown (who was playing alongside Reggie White). When Denver played KC in KC in 97, prior to that game, no RB had scored a TD in Arrowhead. TD scored two that game. It didn't matter whether they ran the 4-3 or 3-4 or whether they were big or small, Davis got it done against any all of them.

We can all agree that the line was also amazing but Davis was a real difference maker and was worthy of everything that happened to him and also should be in the HOF.

BTW, wasn't TD a fullback and a nose guard in HS? It would make sense because he was clearly suited for the more physical parts of the game. The guy was great with strength and leverage. Tremendous balance when playing through contact. If my memory is correct and he was a fullback and noseguard, in retrospect, it seems like one of the best things to ever happen to him. You just don't often see 206 lb running backs play through contact like that. If he hadn't played interior line, I wonder if he would be as good at those one on one physical exchanges.

zbeg
08-10-2011, 05:18 PM

But none of those people (except for maybe Sayers, whose inclusion I also think is a mistake) are in the HOF either.

Agent of Orange
08-10-2011, 05:24 PM
But none of those people (except for maybe Sayers, whose inclusion I also think is a mistake) are in the HOF either.

Sayers deserves to be in. He also accomplished a lot in a very short time. People still put him as an all time great, and deservedly so.

zbeg
08-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Sayers deserves to be in. He also accomplished a lot in a very short time. People still put him as an all time great, and deservedly so.

Okay, what about Bo Jackson? He didn't play that many games, but his yards per carry average was absurd (career 5.4), and those who saw him play (myself included) thought he was one of the most explosive players ever to play the game.

And he definitely fits the "fame" part of the "hall of fame." Guy was a cultural icon.

How high does your peak value have to be in order to ignore the low career value?

dogfish
08-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Okay, what about Bo Jackson? He didn't play that many games, but his yards per carry average was absurd (career 5.4), and those who saw him play (myself included) thought he was one of the most explosive players ever to play the game.

And he definitely fits the "fame" part of the "hall of fame." Guy was a cultural icon.

How high does your peak value have to be in order to ignore the low career value?

i know you aren't trying to compare bo jackson's career to TD. . . :huh:

bo was an unbelievable talent who would have gone down as one of the all-time greats had he stayed healthy, but he simply doesn't have the accomplishments to be compared to TD's career. . .

2,000 yard season? league MVP? super bowl MVP? back-to-back titles?

bo don't know any of that. . .

Agent of Orange
08-10-2011, 05:44 PM

Bo Jackson is one of the greatest talents to every play. He might be the best pure runner the league has ever seen. But he only played half seasons and the most yards he ever had in a season was 950.

I honestly wouldn't get that bent out of shape if they put Bo in the HOF (but not before TD) but to say Bo Jackson is the reason for why Sayers and/or TD shouldnt be in is kind of dumb.

zbeg
08-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Bo Jackson is one of the greatest talents to every play. He might be the best pure runner the league has ever seen. But he only played half seasons and the most yards he ever had in a season was 950.

I honestly wouldn't get that bent out of shape if they put Bo in the HOF (but not before TD) but to say Bo Jackson is the reason for why Sayers and/or TD shouldnt be in is kind of dumb.

No, I'm just wondering where people fall on the "great at his peak but didn't have a long career" issue. Bo had the highest peak of anyone. Sayers and TD had lower peaks, but longer careers.

Bo absolutely shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. Having a short, explosive career isn't enough in my opinion, and Bo had the shortest, most explosive career there was. TD and Sayers' inclusions in the Hall are similar applications of the same principle, just not as extreme.

TD has the market cornered on accomplishments in a short period of time. But the Hall values the long-run more, which I think is correct. If he got in I wouldn't be upset or anything, but I don't think it's a travesty that he's not in, either.

Especially when there are travesties like Cris Carter or Jerry Kramer. Jerry Kramer! When I found out he wasn't in the HoF, I had to look it up because I couldn't believe that it was true. It wasn't that long ago that he was in the "greatest guard ever" conversation. Not in the Hall? What??

Let's get some of these guys out of the way before we start inducting marginal guys like TD.

dogfish
08-10-2011, 06:46 PM
No, I'm just wondering where people fall on the "great at his peak but didn't have a long career" issue. Bo had the highest peak of anyone. Sayers and TD had lower peaks, but longer careers.

come on, how did bo have a higher peak than TD? when was bo ever a league MVP?

you can argue that he had more talent-- don't see how you justify saying his NFL star burned brighter, though. . . bo was all unrealized potential-- TD maximized his. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-10-2011, 07:36 PM
There for about 3 years many believed TD to easily be the best all around RB in the NFL. Barry Sanders was the best pure runner, but TD could do it all. That dude got to the second level so fast. Man, I miss watching TD hit the hole at full speed.

Medford Bronco
08-10-2011, 08:31 PM

Like the overrated Jerrome Bettis will get in at some point. He was a bum to me. Just a long career

Northman
08-10-2011, 09:39 PM

Did Jackson ever accomplish what TD did?

Northman
08-10-2011, 09:40 PM

Bo absolutely shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. Having a short, explosive career isn't enough in my opinion, and Bo had the shortest, most explosive career there was. TD and Sayers' inclusions in the Hall are similar applications of the same principle, just not as extreme.

TD has the market cornered on accomplishments in a short period of time. But the Hall values the long-run more, which I think is correct. If he got in I wouldn't be upset or anything, but I don't think it's a travesty that he's not in, either.

Especially when there are travesties like Cris Carter or Jerry Kramer. Jerry Kramer! When I found out he wasn't in the HoF, I had to look it up because I couldn't believe that it was true. It wasn't that long ago that he was in the "greatest guard ever" conversation. Not in the Hall? What??

Let's get some of these guys out of the way before we start inducting marginal guys like TD.

See, thats BS though. TD wasnt marginal. :lol:

While i agree guys like Carter belong (dont know Kramer, probably before my time) to slam TD for his accomplishments by calling him marginal is a travesty within itself.

Northman
08-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Like the overrated Jerrome Bettis will get in at some point. He was a bum to me. Just a long career

I will give Bettis his due but like one of the shows that was talking about HOF had the Colts won that game after the Bettis fumbled i dont think we would be talking about Jerome being in the hall.

dogfish
08-10-2011, 09:44 PM
See, thats BS though. TD wasnt marginal. :lol:

While i agree guys like Carter belong (dont know Kramer, probably before my time) to slam TD for his accomplishments by calling him marginal is a travesty within itself.

i understand his frame of reference, but that really was shitty, wasn't it?

dogfish
08-10-2011, 09:47 PM

what, you don't think it should be the hall of consistently pretty good?

testaverde, bledsoe and kerry collins are all in the top-12 all time in passing yards-- should guys like that get a hall pass just because they hung around so long?

horsepig
08-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Excellant information. Someone trying to quantify runningbacks like they do quarterbacks. Don't know if this will catch on but it is really interesting to look at todays players and players from past eras. I know that Terrell had an absolutely phonomenal 1998 season and ran for the most yards both regular and postseason combined in the history of the game, but to have his regular season rated the best in the history of the game is some vindication for those of us that have been saying he belongs in the Hall of Fame. Even if his career was cut short by injuries.

Remember, TD spent several 4th quarters on the bench that year to boot.

WARHORSE
08-10-2011, 11:20 PM
2476 yards on the ground in one year. Most ever.

And in that same year, 1998, he averaged 6 ypc in the post season.

On top of all the running accolades, the man could block and pick up the blitz, period.

My Mile High Salute goes out to TD.:salute:

Thnikkaman
08-11-2011, 08:38 AM
this thread is not complete without this:

xlFioK7nzIA

Dzone
08-11-2011, 10:28 AM
7 straight 100 yard games in the postseason.
The HOF is not legitimate until TD is enshrined

BroncoJoe
08-11-2011, 10:43 AM
I hate the "any Denver RB" argument. TD was special. Period.

As Stink and Alfred have said on the radio, RB's after TD were good, but when they'd get 3-5 yards on a carry, TD would have gotten 5-7 yards.

Also, Stink said it best: TD was not the fastest player in terms of his 40 time, but his burst and speed during games was unmatched. He also said his greatest attribute was the way he ran after hand-off - wait, wait, wait, burst. If you watch highlights, unless a hole was there immediately, TD was very "slow" before he saw his hole, then it was like a bolt of lightning out of the backfield.

Superchop 7
08-11-2011, 12:02 PM
If Gradishar and Davis played in New York, they would already be in. The gentleman that helped Floyd Little get in had the right idea.......don't take no for an answer.

BORDERLINE
08-11-2011, 12:34 PM

yup the good ol' games....those where the days guys. We would whip azz all over the field.:defense:

Jsteve01
08-11-2011, 12:43 PM
rember him outrunning Deion in the Dallas game that year? Not sure if it was all speed or Deion just realizing intuitively how that confrontation would turn out for him lol

Npba900
08-11-2011, 01:02 PM
I forget now whom I was listening to, but they said if TD had just a couple more
years, there would be no argument. I have to go along with that.

Something else I noticed there: If you slide on down the page to the rushers in
2010, you will see Willis McGahee ranked #7 there. Now the Broncos have him. :beer:

-----

I'm going to get long winded here.

I can't help but to believe that had Elway played 2 more years TD would have had two more monster seasons to solidify his HOF ticket. And who knows that could have meant another SB victory as well.

I remember how the 99 season unfolded. Buba Brewster(sp) was supposed to be Elway's replacement for the next 4 or 5 years. The 97 & 98 seasons, Brewster backed up Elway admirable and actually won 6 games during those two years due to Elway's injuries.

But getting back to the 99 season. When training camp started with Brewster already penciled in as the starter. Somehow Brister came into camp flat and not running the plays as sharply and continued with such performances into the preseason.

Brewter lead offense as QB was sluggish and inconsistent as well. Shanny was pissed and took Brewsters horrible performances as Buba taking for granted his role as starting QB. The results were, Greise was named the starting QB for the 99 season. Of course this sent shock waves through the Bronco Nation and the NFL.

I remember Elway saying "Shanahan had turned the page and was not looking to 3 peat". The season started the offense and TD were still in a slump and Greise wasn't the difference maker either. Low and behold in week 2 or 4 Greise throws an interception and TD being the warrior and leader ultimately makes the tackle on the intercepted pass and suffers a season ending and eventual career ending knee injury.

To add insult to injury either in 99 or 00 Greise also floated pass to Ed MacCaffery that ended with Ed breaking his leg in two places.....thus never returning to top form after the injury and ushered in an end to his career as well.

These are the memories that I have of the 1999 season. The 99 season saw the Broncos go 6-10 and the rest was/is history. With the exception of the 2005 13-3 season and hosting the AFC Title game against the Steelers, we never approached the glory years of the 96, 97, and 98 seasons.

Npba900
08-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Remember, TD spent several 4th quarters on the bench that year to boot.

Correct! Had TD played all those 4th Qtr periods he would have rushed for over 2400 yards during the 98 season as well. More importantly TD over 2400 total yards and won the Super Bowl as well. You won't see that repeated anytime soon.

Canmore
08-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Post season. Highest average gain per rush attempt career, minimum 100 attemps.

5.59 Terrel Davis
5.04 Marcus Allen
4.89 Eric Dickerson

These are the best all time and Davis is a full half a yard per attempt better than the next closest player. A half a yard! Astounding!