PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy's 8/9/11 AM Camp Observations

Ziggy
08-09-2011, 04:18 PM
My son and I arrived about 45 minutes early for this morning's session. While waiting in line for the gates to open, DJ William's mother was walking by recording with her iphone camera. She told everyone who she was and asked if anyone wanted to say hey to DJ on the recording. The response was underwhelming. I told her to tell him good luck, but that was about the most positive response out there. The fans were completely apathetic about the whole thing.

We went over to one of the few shady spots out there, right at the 45 yard line next to a tree. Tebow was first out at around 8:30, followed by the QB from Minnesota. They both threw to each other under the watchful eyes of one of the coaches. I assume it was the QB coach, but I'm not certain. After a bit, the rest of the players started to file out.

I don't have a lot of time, so I'll just hit some of the high points.

I've seen folks comment on the size of Orlando Franklin. You really have to be standing close to him to understand just what a massive human being he is. The reports are not exaggerated in the least. The entire offensive line of the Broncos are much bigger as a unit than they were in year's past. Some of the backups are big ole boys as well.

Eddie Royal and D Thomas were out for the entire practice. They stood together during most of it on the sidelines. Britt seemed to get most of Eddie's reps with the first unit. Knowshon has slimmed down, and seems just a tad quicker to me. When he's in space, he's very effective. He had a couple of nice runs today, but he still has problems running between the tackles. Willis McGahee is miles ahead of Knowshon on vision and acceleration through the hole. He was impressive today. Lendale had his moments, but you could definitely see the rust. Both fullbacks looked good. Austin Sylvester has that FB mentality. He's fun to watch, and he likes to pop people. Larsen absolutely trucked Nate Irving on one running play. Straight up put him on the ground.

The starting offensive line looks good. They are working well together and created a lot running lanes for the backs to choose from. Clady is back to form, as is Kuper. Franklin is still struggling with pass protection, but the kid can run block. Beadles looks bigger, better, and much more confident. JD Walton is still the weak link on the Oline. I lobbied for the Broncos to get him before last year's draft, but he worries me. I want to see him in some preseason games, but right now he's not real effective in the run game. The backups on the Oline are absolutely horrendous. It wouldn't shock me if the Broncos went after Olineman heavily on the waiver wire. We have no depth there what so ever.

The defensive looked terrible against the run vs. the first unit offensive line. They have the size and quickness, but aren't working well as a unit. There seems to be a lot of missed assignments and miscommunication. Champ Bailey is still on his game. He shadows his man and leaves no window for throwing the ball. He still closes with cat like quickness when the ball is in the air. His pick today was fun to watch, because I happened to be keying in on him during that play. The receiver wasn't open and the ball should never have been thrown his way on that one. Sid Quan was also impressive. He had 2 interceptions. One would have been for a pick 6.

DJ Williams looked good out there. He has the best cover skills of all of our LB'ers. You couldn't tell that he's missed most of training camp. I watched Von Miller quite a bit. The man has jets in his cletes, but he has some work to do against the run. He got stoned on most running plays where he was lined up at DE. Daniel Fells swallowed him whole on one play. He just buried him as soon as the ball was snapped. He'll be a work in progress, but the athletic ability and nose for the ball is undeniable. I'm a big fan of Joe Mays, but he was a step late getting to the RB all day long. I hope it was just a bad day for him.

Decker is huge, and has a knack for getting open. He also has a knack for dropping the ball. I've read about him having drops consistently in camp, and he did it again today on what would have been a 3rd down conversion for the offense. He also got his ears boxed in a bit by Cassius Vaughn. I didn't see what started it, but I heard Vaughn say, "You'd better watch yourself!", and then proceeded to punch him twice upside the head. Yes, Decker had his helmet on, but Vaughn popped his head back pretty good. Decker didn't retaliate at all, and a coach came over stopped it quickly.

Ziggy
08-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Tebow still looks good for the most part during the drills but reverts back to form when the heat is on. His delivery is still noticebly slow. He won't be effective against teams with tight coverage as it stands. Orton had his good and bad moments, but he's obviously the more refined QB. I can see why folks are high on Brady Quinn during this camp, but his long balls were all fluttering rainbows. He solid in the short to mid-range game though.

I watched Orange Julius very closely. He didn't do anything special today, but ran quite a bit with the first unit, despite what the depth chart says. He's a pure athlete. You can see it in his routes, and the fluidity of his motion. Fells is solid. He's very good blocker at the point of attack and has good hands to go with it. You can see why he's already at #1 on the depth chart. Gronkowski also looked good and ripped the D up the middle for a nice TD catch during 11 on 11's.

Anderson got quite a bit of punt return work with Royal out. Decker returned KO's with the first unit, and Cassius Vaughn with the 2nd. Vaughn also has some jets. Once he turns it up, he's flying. Rahim Moore got his butt chewed a few times by the coaches for not being on the field when he should have on special teams. I don't know what the deal was there, but he wasn't having a good day.

Other observations:
Ty Warren looked healthy. He ran with the 2nd team D.
Bunkley and Thomas started at DT, with Vick running 2nd team all day.
McGahee has quite the personality. He keeps it light on the sidelines, and already seems to be well liked by his fellow RB's.
Lee Robinson, Derek Domino, and Jeremy Beal were all surprise standouts for me today on defense.

Northman
08-09-2011, 04:38 PM
McGahee is my darkhorse this year.

Ziggy
08-09-2011, 04:41 PM

He should be starting by week 1 of the regular season. Knowshon should make a very good 3rd down and long back. He can pass protect and he's very good in space. McGahee is the man when it comes to running between the tackles.

Northman
08-09-2011, 04:42 PM
He should be starting by week 1 of the regular season. Knowshon should make a very good 3rd down and long back. He can pass protect and he's very good in space. McGahee is the man when it comes to running between the tackles.

Exactly my thoughts as well. :beer:

TXBRONC
08-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks Ziggy.

I'm really looking forward to watching the game even if though I have to Tivo it.

SoCalImport
08-09-2011, 04:47 PM

Dark horse in that He'll be the Broncos starter and leading rusher? coz those are almost a lock from all I've read.

Are you looking for more from from him? It'd be nice

WARHORSE
08-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Man Ziggy, thank you very much for the time and effort.

:beer:

Buff
08-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Moreno is Mike Bell II.

I share your sentiments about Walton. Guy didn't show me much as a rookie - but in his defense he was a rookie.

DJ is an enigma. I can't figure out if he's our best defensive player or completely worthless.

Any more to add about how the DT's performed? I'm really interested to see how that rotation shakes out.

Northman
08-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Dark horse in that He'll be the Broncos starter and leading rusher?

That would be affirmative. However, when he first got here all i heard was how he was just a backup to Rice, etc. Ive watched him plenty while in Bmore and the dude is a stud. Has some health issues here and there but when playing is a difference maker. He certainly has better vision than Knowshon and ive been stating that the last 2 years.

Ziggy
08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Moreno is Mike Bell II.

I share your sentiments about Walton. Guy didn't show me much as a rookie - but in his defense he was a rookie.

DJ is an enigma. I can't figure out if he's our best defensive player or completely worthless.

Any more to add about how the DT's performed? I'm really interested to see how that rotation shakes out.

Bunkley holds the point of attack well. He's not a penetrator, but he can hold his ground. Marcus Thomas played about the same, but that was at the UT position where he should have been getting some penetration. Vick didn't do anything that stood out to me, other than being run on quite a bit. Ty Warren looks the best by far. I have no idea why he's not playing UT. In the drills where the offense was backed up on the goal line, he was consitently getting a good push and had one sack on Tebow for what would have been a safety. On most passing downs, Ayers and Vick were playing DT, and neither had a good day overall.

titan
08-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Love reading practice reports - thanks for posting. Everyone has a little different perspective. I don't know what's up with Decker and dropped balls as he was known to have good hands in college. Until I see him dropping them in games (ala Darius Watts) I'm not too concerned (Decker was solid last year in games and caught 15 or so in the last preseason game). That's encouraging about the offensive line - this week will be a good test when the starters are playing as Dallas has one of the better defensive lines in the league.

topscribe
08-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Bunkley holds the point of attack well. He's not a penetrator, but he can hold his ground. Marcus Thomas played about the same, but that was at the UT position where he should have been getting some penetration. Vick didn't do anything that stood out to me, other than being run on quite a bit. Ty Warren looks the best by far. I have no idea why he's not playing UT. In the drills where the offense was backed up on the goal line, he was consitently getting a good push and had one sack on Tebow for what would have been a safety. On most passing downs, Ayers and Vick were playing DT, and neither had a good day overall.

Thanks for the report, Zig. It was great.

I have pulled for Ayers since he was drafted. But it's looking more and more as
if he might be headed for rotation, from the reports. I saw that Thomas, Warren,
Bunkley, and Doom were playing together in first-string time. Did they have
Thomas at DE during that time?

Regarding Moreno, I believe it was a mistake for him to slim down. I keep
reading reports where he's like a pingpong ball in the middle of the line. Last
year, he wasn't bad there when healthy.

I dunno . . . it's looking like an entire wasted first round for their year. :tsk:

-----

Ziggy
08-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Love reading practice reports - thanks for posting. Everyone has a little different perspective. I don't know what's up with Decker and dropped balls as he was known to have good hands in college. Until I see him dropping them in games (ala Darius Watts) I'm not too concerned (Decker was solid last year in games and caught 15 or so in the last preseason game). That's encouraging about the offensive line - this week will be a good test when the starters are playing as Dallas has one of the better defensive lines in the league.

The one thing I noticed about Decker today is that he was letting a lot of balls get into his pads, including the big drop today. One of the things that I loved about him in college is that he caught with his hands and attacked the ball. He seems to have lost some of that discipline. Hopefully, he'll turn it back around quickly.

Ziggy
08-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the report, Zig. It was great.

I have pulled for Ayers since he was drafted. But it's looking more and more as
if he might be headed for rotation, from the reports. I saw that Thomas, Warren,
Bunkley, and Doom were playing together in first-string time. Did they have
Thomas at DE during that time?

Regarding Moreno, I believe it was a mistake for him to slim down. I keep
reading reports where he's like a pingpong ball in the middle of the line. Last
year, he wasn't bad there when healthy.

I dunno . . . it's looking like an entire wasted first round for their year. :tsk:

-----

Thomas and Bunk were at the tackle spots to start. Ayers and Doom started at end, but they rotated Warren in at different spots on the line at different times. I will say that one of the more impressive guys today was Jeremy Jarmon. He was making plays left and right. Ayers had better keep an eye out over his shoulder.

Moreno does look quicker, but he just doesn't have the vision to run inside. I was hoping that his problem was just the poor blocking last season, but I'm beginning to wonder. He can contribute heavily on screen passes, sweeps, and other plays that create space for him, but on 3rd and short, I want to see McGahee or Lendale out there.

Jsteve01
08-09-2011, 06:02 PM
read Jarmon had two or three sacks

Juriga72
08-09-2011, 06:51 PM
read Jarmon had two or three sacks

Thats like 3-4X as many as Ayers has had for his career...LMAO..

I hope they can get him into the rotation.... man I'll take speed from the ends all day. JUST get some run stop in the middle.....some