PDA

View Full Version : Josh Bell at Saftey?

Thnikkaman
11-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Josh Bell has been playing decent at Corner in Champ's absence, and is rumored to be the cornerback in nickel situations when Champ comes back. What if he made the transition to saftey?

I think if Denver wraps up the division, it would be very interesting to see him out there as a safety against San Diego. Thoughts?

p.s. I know its Safety. My fingers are lysdexlic.

broncofaninfla
11-21-2008, 02:07 PM
He has been playing well. How big is he?

Thnikkaman
11-21-2008, 02:11 PM
He seems to be a bit on the small side. 5' 11", 177 lbs.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/players/Josh_Bell/

fcspikeit
11-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Josh Bell has been playing decent at Corner in Champ's absence, and is rumored to be the cornerback in nickel situations when Champ comes back. What if he made the transition to saftey?

I think if Denver wraps up the division, it would be very interesting to see him out there as a safety against San Diego. Thoughts?

He couldn't be any worse then what we have now! I'm just saying... Even if he wasn't the best tackler, Lowry can't tackle, he always tries to crab the runners shoulders, It don't matter how big you are, if your going to do that against a runner running down hill at you your never going to get the tackle, all you can hope to do is hold on for the ride...

I say give it a shot :salute:

shank
11-21-2008, 02:19 PM
i say we get rogers some PT or upgrade barrett. my vote goes to barrett, as we know that he at least has all the physical skills to be a great safety.

NameUsedBefore
11-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Anybody but Lowry.

fcspikeit
11-21-2008, 02:27 PM
i say we get rogers some PT or upgrade barrett. my vote goes to barrett, as we know that he at least has all the physical skills to be a great safety.

I agree with you, if i had to choos between the 2 (Bell & Barrett) I say give Barrett a shot first.

But for some reason, Mikey don't have him out there? I would like to believe it's because he isn't ready but after seeing how Hillis and Larson are playing it's really hard to believe that. It's pretty clear if it weren't for the injuries, they wouldn't be playing either.

That said, I feel Bell has a better shot of seeing the field then Barrett, If only because Mike seems to like him more.. Kind if like voting for your second choice because you know your first choice has no shot..

shank
11-21-2008, 02:32 PM
I agree with you, if i had to choos between the 2 (Bell & Barrett) I say give Barrett a shot first.

But for some reason, Mikey don't have him out there? I would like to believe it's because he isn't ready but after seeing how Hillis and Larson are playing it's really hard to believe that. It's pretty clear if it weren't for the injuries, they wouldn't be playing either.

That said, I feel Bell has a better shot of seeing the field then Barrett, If only because Mike seems to like him more.. Kind if like voting for your second choice because you know your first choice has no shot..

the whole 'mike will play the best players, regardless' thing is beginning to look like BS to me. there's no way these guys are sucking balls in practice, only to end up lucky to see game-time and tear it up better than the starters.

and lowry playing at all clearly shows that we aren't fielding the best players. tim crowder could be better at FS than lowry.

Rex
11-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Tinker,

Who do you think you are? Boss? Holy Diver?

You have no business making threads like this.

G_Money
11-21-2008, 02:35 PM
When I opened this thread I thought Shanny was talking about doing it instead of this being a theoretical argument, and my teeth were already grinding. ;)

We have Barrett already. He actually plays safety, is also a rook, is actually faster than Bell while being bigger.

Bell: 5’11”, 177 lbs, ran a 4.53 at his Pro Day I believe.
Barrett: 6’1”, 215 lbs, ran a 4.34 at the Combine (not a misprint).

I like Bell as a decent backup. From the little I’ve seen of him he’s about as good as Foxy and better than Paymah, which is a nice replacement player if one of your guys goes down, and he can be a capable nickel.

But Barrett has ridiculous physical skills and has spent years already playing the position you’re suggesting moving the much-smaller Bell to. Bell gives up significant weight to almost every WR and RB in the league. Let’s not talk about TEs. Part of the job of a safety is just coverage, but part is to make open-field tackles on decently-large players.

If we decide to go with a different safety – and I couldn’t believe we went out to get Lowry after the injury opened up a good way to get Barrett on the field in the first place, and he’s been so horrible I would LOVE to get a new DB instead of him – I’d rather it be Barrett. Bell is fine as a CB. Let him do what he has the skills and the build for. I’m more concerned with Jack Williams being unable to unseat Bell than I am with getting Bell into a position where he is likely to struggle.

Safety’s a problem, but I’d try not to use Bell as a solution unless I had to – and we don’t have to.

~G

honz
11-21-2008, 02:49 PM
I had high hopes for Lowry, but I now see that there is a reason Tennessee let him go. You'd think he'd learn to go low against runners with a head of steam after getting run over 4 or 5 times in a row...

I'm not sure what McCree's injury status is, and he is capable safety that at least knows how to tackle, but I don't see how Barrett could be any worse than Lowry. I'd give the kid a shot.

G_Money
11-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Lowry is a dog. He whiffs at high speed, takes bad angles, gets run over when standing his ground and gets run AROUND when trying to fill a gap. His tackling approach takes the least advantage of his frame that's possible to take, and he runs around like a poleaxed steer most of the time to boot.

I have no idea what his problem is, nor do I care. He shouldn't BE our problem because he shouldn't be here. Bad pickup, but all is has cost us thus far is his suckitude on the field and the spot he's taking from Barrett that the young kid could be using to get his feet wet.

It's an easy problem to fix. The Crowder-at-FS comment made me laugh above because it's mostly true. Lowry has been as bad in his few games as it is possible to be at his position. Barrett CANNOT do worse.

Let him attempt to be at least a little better. Larsen was better than Webster. Woodyard has been better than Winborn would have been on that side. Hillis has done everything we've asked of him and done it well.

At this point I'm starting to have far more faith in our draftees than our free-agents. Let's see if Barrett can be another mark in the draftee success column, shall we?

~G

Foochacho
11-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Now that Barret is off the PS I want to see him get some decent action at safety. Maybe Bly can give Lowry some of those flu germs.

Lonestar
11-22-2008, 07:04 PM
lets hope that mikey will get over the ego mistake he made by not being happy with John Lynch, signing these two moron FA's and then not allowing his ego to say "Just maybe I made a mistake"..

Bringing Barret up from the PS just might be a step in the right direction

slim
11-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Paymah would be a better safety than Bell