PDA

View Full Version : Broncos rookie tight end Julius Thomas creates early buzz

TXBRONC
08-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Broncos rookie tight end Julius Thomas creates early buzz
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/09/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

It's just 10 days into Broncos training camp, yet Thomas has emerged as a player to watch.The Broncos already have Von Miller, Rahim Moore and Orlando Franklin penciled into the starting lineup, but each was a top-50 pick in the draft.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18642905

I have feeling that Richard Quinn and Dan Gronkowski are the odd men out in tight end corp.

Jsteve01
08-09-2011, 08:37 AM
he's a player to watch but they buried him on the depth chart...wtf is up with that? He's been running with the ones. Also, I just took it for granted that fells was a lights out blocker because of his size but from looking at Rams boards, he's no Daniel Graham or even Patrick Hape for that matter.

Juriga72
08-09-2011, 08:40 AM
From reports he's catching everything near him.. yet he's 3rd or 4th deep? WTF is that?

TXBRONC
08-09-2011, 09:10 AM
he's a player to watch but they buried him on the depth chart...wtf is up with that? He's been running with the ones. Also, I just took it for granted that fells was a lights out blocker because of his size but from looking at Rams boards, he's no Daniel Graham or even Patrick Hape for that matter.

From reports he's catching everything near him.. yet he's 3rd or 4th deep? WTF is that?

According to the article he still needs to work on his blocking. That said I'm not to worried about where he's at on the depth chart.

arapaho2
08-09-2011, 11:37 AM
keep in mind gates was a terrible blocker coming into the league and still is a half ass blocker...but his pass catching is what makes him one of the best

hopefully we have that in thomas

BroncoStud
08-09-2011, 11:38 AM
I can't wait to see what he does in Preseason. We haven't had a legit threat at TE since Shannon.

NightTerror218
08-09-2011, 11:38 AM
dont forget this kid is new to football I think Fox is just going to ease him into the game....starting with preseason to see how he handles it. He has only played 1 year of football.

TXBRONC
08-09-2011, 01:06 PM
I can't wait to see what he does in Preseason. We haven't had a legit threat at TE since Shannon.

I disagree, Scheffler was a legit threat at tight end. The way McDaniels ran the offense and with guy we have quarterback the tight end was never going be a big part of passing game.

BroncoStud
08-09-2011, 01:27 PM
I disagree, Scheffler was a legit threat at tight end. The way McDaniels ran the offense and with guy we have quarterback the tight end was never going be a big part of passing game.

Tony was always hurt though.

Jsteve01
08-09-2011, 02:07 PM
severe case of vaginitis

BroncoNut
08-09-2011, 03:42 PM
can't he move up during camp? Isn't that what camp's all about?

TXBRONC
08-09-2011, 04:52 PM
can't he move up during camp? Isn't that what camp's all about?

Yes and from what I read Thomas got in some playing time with the starters.

Juriga72
08-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I wonder how "Run first " we are going to be if we start getting down again...

TXBRONC
08-09-2011, 05:00 PM
I wonder how "Run first " we are going to be if we start getting down again...

We'll throw the ball plenty. But if we're in a tight ball game where the game is in Orton's hands that doesn't inspire confidence in me.

topscribe
08-09-2011, 05:09 PM

It is true McDaniels' system did not emphasize the TE. But regarding the QB we
have now, as in Kyle Orton, in 2008 he completed 41 passes to Desmond Clark
and 54 to Greg Olsen. That's 95 passes to the TE.

-----

bcbronc
08-09-2011, 09:06 PM
imo Thomas's place on the depth chart means nothing. First down is a running down...the two best blocking TEs on the roster will be on the field as "starters".

Thomas will be on in passing situations with probably limited sets/plays to start. Great to hear we look to have a TE that can get behind defenses and make catches in traffic. Can't wait to see what he does vs Dallas...probably most excited to see him, Von and Irving.

bcbronc
08-09-2011, 09:09 PM
It is true McDaniels' system did not emphasize the TE. But regarding the QB we
have now, as in Kyle Orton, in 2008 he completed 41 passes to Desmond Clark
and 54 to Greg Olsen. That's 95 passes to the TE.

-----

:focus: