PDA

View Full Version : Rule Changes for 2011 Season

Denver Native (Carol)
08-08-2011, 02:55 PM
NFL Referee Bill Leavy led an officiating crew that visited with the Denver Broncos this week, explaining rule changes and points of emphasis for the 2011 season.

The crew worked the team’s practices on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, giving the players and coaches an early look at how the season will be officiated.

Below are the key rule changes and points of emphasis to watch for this season:

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/rule-changes-for-2011-season/

AgentOrange
08-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Wonder how many kickoffs will make it through the uprights.

Ravage!!!
08-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Wonder how many kickoffs will make it through the uprights.

I absolutely hate that rule change. HATE it. The KO return has always been an exciting part of the game, and the NFL is taking it out. :tsk:

Nomad
08-08-2011, 05:49 PM
I absolutely hate that rule change. HATE it. The KO return has always been an exciting part of the game, and the NFL is taking it out. :tsk:

Yep! Surprised they are allowing punting

I'm glad to see that a slight brush to the QB's head won't be a penalty now. It was starting to get ridiculous.

Buff
08-08-2011, 05:54 PM
The defenseless player penalties are the most frustrating because it's such a gray area and the game happens at such a fast pace.

I understand the desire to make the league safer, but the current rule puts defenders in a no-win situation.

Tned
08-08-2011, 08:56 PM
The defenseless player penalties are the most frustrating because it's such a gray area and the game happens at such a fast pace.

I understand the desire to make the league safer, but the current rule puts defenders in a no-win situation.

Agreed, and now they have added a runner who's forward progress has stopped, which is tough, because often that runner is still trying to break away for a gain.

Most of these changes I like. I like reviewing all scoring plays. I don't mind moving the kickoff up, mostly because the Broncos never seem to have a good kick return team, let Prater get 95% touch backs.

Clarifying arms to the QBs head was needed, because there were some AWFUL penalties called with glancing, incidental contact to the QBs head.

Launching I can understand, but don't particularly like.

Anyway, by and large, I like this set of changes.

Nomad
08-12-2011, 02:22 PM

Touchback everytime!:yawn:

BroncoStud
08-12-2011, 02:26 PM
I bet we see Kickoffs back to normal by the start of the season.