PDA

View Full Version : Broncos pre season Salsa Recipes!!

underrated29
08-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Yeah, this prob goes in the food section but there are only like 14 threads in the entire section and no one ever goes in there. Move it if you must.

I know we have a thread similar about this but, big surprise here, i couldnt find it. So anyway-

For Every broncos pre season game I like to make a new salsa to enjoy while watching the game. I figured others perhaps might, or know a good salsa recipe or even be able to adjust my recipe. Anyway- for this thurs night game here is the one I am going to do.

6 tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
10 tomatillos
10 green chilies
2 serrano
2 pablano
5 jalapenos
2 peaches
4 clove garlic
1 chopped onion
1 bundle of cilantro- (you can use less but I LOVE Cilantro so i use a lot)
1 tbs vinegar
1 tbs lime juice
1/4 cup chalua hot sauce (gives a nice flavor with the peppers)
black pepper to taste
salt to taste (about 2 tsp)
garlic salt to taste 2 tsp approx

I mix up everything in blender except the lime, vineager and spices and hot sauce. After its all mixed I put it on the stove and bring to a boil. After it get it to boil I turn it down to simmer and add the other spices...Let it simmer for about 15 minutes to turn into a nice salsa. Hopefully it comes out good.

I have been making a new salsa each week with my son and we keep getting better at it. So critque away, add your own or give it a try. This one should be a nice blend of hot and sweet. It gives you that little kick from the peppers at first and then the mild peach sweetness come through... ( i used pinapples last time at it was real good)

NightTerror218
08-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I will have to try it.....I have been a fan of a 7-layers dip for years that I use to make with my dad.

Thnikkaman
08-08-2011, 11:58 AM
I'll have to give this a try as well.

underrated29
08-08-2011, 12:04 PM
lemme know what you guys think? Im no pro, I have a lot of work to do on them. So give them a review of what did or did not work in the salsa or things to add/delete etc.

Do you guys know any of your own salsa recipes?

NightTerror218
08-08-2011, 12:06 PM
lemme know what you guys think? Im no pro, I have a lot of work to do on them. So give them a review of what did or did not work in the salsa or things to add/delete etc.

Do you guys know any of your own salsa recipes?

yes I do.....when I get home I will look for it.....it is simple all it requires is cutting stuff up and tossing into a bowl and then into frig for couple hours.

pnbronco
08-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Sounds really good UR, I think I adjust and give it a try. I am a total wimp when it comes to hot food. It's like being a black sheep in a Mexican family...:laugh:

Nomad
08-08-2011, 12:09 PM
These are the tortilla chips to go with it!

https://www.juanitasfinefoods.com/index.cfm

camdisco24
08-08-2011, 12:21 PM
This sounds great. I will def have to try it. I make a roasted salsa from time to time, but im still trying to master the flavor. I've made it way too spicy and way too bland. Just gotta find the middle ground.

NightTerror218
08-08-2011, 12:22 PM
UD you can also try a layered dip...these amounts are all estimated since you just use enough to spread in pan

3 cans refried beans
1 container of sour cream
taco seasoning
1-1/2 cups of salsa (I use Pace)
2 cups shredded cheese
4-5 avacados for guacamole (use season pack too or add your own spices)
1 large tomato
3-4 jalapenos
3-4 green onion
1 small can olives

Heat beans and stir in salsa.
Spread in a 9 x13 baking dish.
Spread cheese over beans and bake until cheese is melted.
Add guacamole on top of cheese.
Mix sour cream and taco seasoning
Add sour cream on top of guacamole
Cut up tomato, green onion and olives and spread over the top.

This is meant to be served warm....if you want cold then do not melt cheese and let beans cool down before building the dip so cheese does not melt.

BigDaddyBronco
08-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Yeah, this prob goes in the food section but there are only like 14 threads in the entire section and no one ever goes in there. Move it if you must.

I know we have a thread similar about this but, big surprise here, i couldnt find it. So anyway-

For Every broncos pre season game I like to make a new salsa to enjoy while watching the game. I figured others perhaps might, or know a good salsa recipe or even be able to adjust my recipe. Anyway- for this thurs night game here is the one I am going to do.

6 tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
10 tomatillos
10 green chilies
2 serrano
2 pablano
5 jalapenos
2 peaches
4 clove garlic
1 chopped onion
1 tbs vinegar
1 tbs lime juice
black pepper to taste

I mix up everything in blender except the lime, vineager and spices and hot sauce. After its all mixed I put it on the stove and bring to a boil. After it get it to boil I turn it down to simmer and add the other spices...Let it simmer for about 15 minutes to turn into a nice salsa. Hopefully it comes out good.

I have been making a new salsa each week with my son and we keep getting better at it. So critque away, add your own or give it a try. This one should be a nice blend of hot and sweet. It gives you that little kick from the peppers at first and then the mild peach sweetness come through... ( i used pinapples last time at it was real good)

What, no cilantro?

Lonestar
08-08-2011, 12:25 PM
These are the tortilla chips to go with it!

https://www.juanitasfinefoods.com/index.cfm

yeah I'm going to import chips from Oregon..

Good try Bro..

NightTerror218
08-08-2011, 12:28 PM
yeah I'm going to import chips from Oregon..

Good try Bro..

Coming from a former Oregon person.....they are pretty damn good :D

NightTrainLayne
08-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Here's the easiest, and one of the tastiest salsa's I've ever made. ANYONE can make this one in about 15 minutes. We make it just about weekly at our home.

Credit to Rick Bayliss.

Ingredients:

1 Can FIRE-ROASTED diced Tomatoes. I always get Hunts. Make sure you get Fire Roasted Tomatoes, and don't get the fire-roasted with garlic or basil etc. Just the plain Fire Roasted Tomatoes. I didn't even know they existed prior to this recipe but they do, and they are the one of the secrets to how tasty this salsa is.

2 Jalapenos

1/2 Onion (chopped finely)

4 cloves of garlic

1 Lime

1/4 cup Cilantro (chopped finely)

Steps:

1. Roast the jalapenos and garlic (unpeeled) in a pan or skillet. I use a cast-iron skillet. Roast them until they are mostly blackened on the outside, but they don't have to be completely black. This releases the oils from both and brings out more flavor (and heat from the jalepenos).

2. Take the stems off the jalapenos, and peel the garlic cloves. Place in a blender, and quickly blend them.

3. Pour the can of Fire-Roasted diced tomatoes into the blender, and give it a quick blend/mix with the jalapenos and garlic. Don't overdo this step. Just give it a few quick pulses to mix it well.

4. In a separate bowl put your chopped onion. If it seems to be an especially strong onion, I will often rinse in it a strainer first so that it doesn't overpower the salsa. Pour the tomato/jalapeno/garlic mixture over the chopped onion, and stir it together.

5. Add the chopped cilantro, and juice from the lime, and stir together.

6. Salt to taste.

Easy to do, simple ingredients, and the flavor is awesome.

underrated29
08-08-2011, 12:31 PM
This sounds great. I will def have to try it. I make a roasted salsa from time to time, but im still trying to master the flavor. I've made it way too spicy and way too bland. Just gotta find the middle ground.

Exactly where i am at amigo..

What, no cilantro?

HOLY SH** BALLS!!

Thanks BDB- totally forgot that- and yes its my fav herb/spice-nice catch!!

pnbronco
08-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Sounds really good NTL. I love the way you write, it's just like me. I love cilantro, but I heard it taste terrible to some people because of their taste buds, it tastes more like soap if I remember correctly.....

Love the thread guys, I hope we can keep it here.....

MileHighCrew
08-08-2011, 12:40 PM
How hot on a 1-10 is this? Looks good but is it too hot to eat?

MileHighCrew
08-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Here's the easiest, and one of the tastiest salsa's I've ever made. ANYONE can make this one in about 15 minutes. We make it just about weekly at our home.

Credit to Rick Bayliss.

Ingredients:

1 Can FIRE-ROASTED diced Tomatoes. I always get Hunts. Make sure you get Fire Roasted Tomatoes, and don't get the fire-roasted with garlic or basil etc. Just the plain Fire Roasted Tomatoes. I didn't even know they existed prior to this recipe but they do, and they are the one of the secrets to how tasty this salsa is.

2 Jalapenos

1/2 Onion (chopped finely)

4 cloves of garlic

1 Lime

1/4 cup Cilantro (chopped finely)

Steps:

1. Roast the jalapenos and garlic (unpeeled) in a pan or skillet. I use a cast-iron skillet. Roast them until they are mostly blackened on the outside, but they don't have to be completely black. This releases the oils from both and brings out more flavor (and heat from the jalepenos).

2. Take the stems off the jalapenos, and peel the garlic cloves. Place in a blender, and quickly blend them.

3. Pour the can of Fire-Roasted diced tomatoes into the blender, and give it a quick blend/mix with the jalapenos and garlic. Don't overdo this step. Just give it a few quick pulses to mix it well.

4. In a separate bowl put your chopped onion. If it seems to be an especially strong onion, I will often rinse in it a strainer first so that it doesn't overpower the salsa. Pour the tomato/jalapeno/garlic mixture over the chopped onion, and stir it together.

5. Add the chopped cilantro, and juice from the lime, and stir together.

6. Salt to taste.

Easy to do, simple ingredients, and the flavor is awesome.

I have a garden and I grow my own tomato's, have you tried fresh tomato's and not canned?

NightTrainLayne
08-08-2011, 12:46 PM
I have a garden and I grow my own tomato's, have you tried fresh tomato's and not canned?

No, simply because I'd be substituting store-bought tomatoes (I don't have a tomato garden). I'm sure it would be fine if you roasted home-grown tomatoes.

But. .. . as good as this is, opening a can of tomatoes is a whole heck of a lot easier than growing them and roasting them yourself. ;) Of course, I'm an elitist oil-baron.

NightTerror218
08-08-2011, 12:53 PM
No, simply because I'd be substituting store-bought tomatoes (I don't have a tomato garden). I'm sure it would be fine if you roasted home-grown tomatoes.

But. .. . as good as this is, opening a can of tomatoes is a whole heck of a lot easier than growing them and roasting them yourself. ;) Of course, I'm an elitist oil-baron.

But you can roast the tomatoes, jalapenos and garlic on BBQ :D

MileHighCrew
08-08-2011, 12:54 PM

I'm from Alberta (oil country), so I am with you. My kids wanted a garden and now I am shit deep in tomatos and cucumbers. Have to do something with them, I figured salsa would be a good start.

underrated29
08-08-2011, 01:03 PM
How hot on a 1-10 is this? Looks good but is it too hot to eat?

mine?

i havent made this one yet, but one i made similiar is about a 7, depending on the green chilies....somtimes they are hot, other times not. The jalps and such get kinda nuetralized. to make it less hot take out the seeds

MOtorboat
08-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Did you have your servants pick that up for you?

MileHighCrew
08-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Did you have your servants pick that up for you?

I call mine wife but I see where you are going with it

Thnikkaman
08-08-2011, 01:41 PM

Are you not peeling the charred skin off the jalapenos after you roast them? And is this any different than roasting peppers over an open flame?

dogfish
08-08-2011, 02:17 PM

yea. . . a rich oil barron who has to settle for mushy, flavorless grocery tomatoes. . . sucker!

U, i make salsa, but i've never written down a recipe-- i just throw it all together. . . i like pineapple-mango, or roasted garlic and black bean. . .

underrated29
08-08-2011, 02:34 PM
yea. . . a rich oil barron who has to settle for mushy, flavorless grocery tomatoes. . . sucker!

U, i make salsa, but i've never written down a recipe-- i just throw it all together. . . i like pineapple-mango, or roasted garlic and black bean. . .

Thats what I do too mayne!

You can still list out how you make it and what you use to throw it together. Roasted garlic and black bean sounds sexy!

NightTrainLayne
08-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Are you not peeling the charred skin off the jalapenos after you roast them? And is this any different than roasting peppers over an open flame?

No. Leave the charred skin on the jalapenos. You probably wouldn't want to do this with other peppers, or in other recipes, but here it works great.

And, yes, you can roast them over an open flame. I just usually throw the jalapenos and garlic in a pan together though due to the difficulty in roasting 4-5 garlic cloves over an open flame.

While they are getting roasted, I work on chopping the onion and cilantro. Multi-tasking.

BigDaddyBronco
08-08-2011, 02:48 PM
No. Leave the charred skin on the jalapenos. You probably wouldn't want to do this with other peppers, or in other recipes, but here it works great.

And, yes, you can roast them over an open flame. I just usually throw the jalapenos and garlic in a pan together though due to the difficulty in roasting 4-5 garlic cloves over an open flame.

While they are getting roasted, I work on chopping the onion and cilantro. Multi-tasking.

Liar, you have Juanita or one of the other "staff" doing the roasting and chopping.

I don't worry about the skins on jalapenos, they aren't as thick as green chile or poblanoes.

NightTrainLayne
08-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Liar, you have Juanita or one of the other "staff" doing the roasting and chopping.

I don't worry about the skins on jalapenos, they aren't as thick as green chile or poblanoes.

Right. On a poblano that would be a disaster to leave the skins on. On Jalapenos you'd spend 30 minutes picking it off, and it's not noticeable anyways.

BigDaddyBronco
08-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Right. On a poblano that would be a disaster to leave the skins on. On Jalapenos you'd spend 30 minutes picking it off, and it's not noticeable anyways.

I'll bring some more green chile on Dec. 11th...

Also, that morning we can get breakfast burritos over at Jack-n-Grill or somewhere.

slim
08-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Don't fruit the salsa!

dogfish
08-08-2011, 04:30 PM
I'll bring some more green chile on Dec. 11th...

Also, that morning we can get breakfast burritos over at Jack-n-Grill or somewhere.

WTF is "jack-n-grill?" :tsk:

let me know when you're here, i'll tell you how to find las delicias. . .

BigDaddyBronco
08-08-2011, 05:41 PM
WTF is "jack-n-grill?" :tsk:

let me know when you're here, i'll tell you how to find las delicias. . .
It's owned by New Mexicans, I figure they know green chile beter than anyone from Colorado.

dogfish
08-08-2011, 05:53 PM
It's owned by New Mexicans, I figure they know green chile beter than anyone from Colorado.

well then they need a better name! that sounds like fast food. . . .

BigDaddyBronco
08-09-2011, 07:17 AM
well then they need a better name! that sounds like fast food. . . .
The place is good. Frau and I ate theree a couple years ago.

They have won "Best Chile in Denver" a few times.

slim
08-09-2011, 09:38 AM
The place is good. Frau and I ate theree a couple years ago.

They have won "Best Chile in Denver" a few times.

Is that the place that has the 7 pound breakfast burro?

If the green chile is good, I think I can handle that.

BigDaddyBronco
08-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Is that the place that has the 7 pound breakfast burro?

If the green chile is good, I think I can handle that.
Yes, it was on "Man vs. Food".

Lonestar
08-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Coming from a former Oregon person.....they are pretty damn good :D

I live in El paso.

While I'm sure they are good for Yankees. I live in the mecca for Mexican Food in the USA

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BigDaddyBronco
08-10-2011, 02:35 PM
I live in El paso.

While I'm sure they are good for Yankees. I live in the mecca for Mexican Food in the USA

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
Tex Mex meets Mexican meets New Mexican. You can have it, I'll take my Northern New Mexico food any day. :D

I had some blue corn beef enchiladas with green chile and two fried eggs on the top the other day. Most excellent.

Thnikkaman
08-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Made chili verde last night. Could have been much warmer, but the base taste was there. I can add more heat next time.

HammeredOut
08-11-2011, 09:33 AM
I like a spicy bean sauce with my nachos.

3 cans of black beans
2 onions
1 garlic
3 Tsp of Red Hot Chili Peppers
1 Cilantro Bush- Size of a carrot.

-- Boil Beans with all the ingrediants till the beans are nice and soft and the bean water drys up. Then pull out the potatoe masher, start mashing the ingrediants together until it turns into a paste. Taste the beans to your spice likelyness. I prefer a little bit spicy, but let it get hotter as you eat more.

With a baking pan, pour the bean mix into the pan as the first layer.

Then sprinkle a ton of cheese on as a 2nd layer. I like goat cheese, it seems to have better texture for a dip.

The 3rd layer, I sprinkle more cilantro onto of the cheese and beans, but I make sure it is minced.

The 4th layer, I add diced chicken, but I cook the chicken spicy, with more cajan pepper to the chicken. After the chicken is cooked, I make sure I recook the chicken to give it a real stringy texture to it. After the chicken is cooked, I add this ontop of the cilantro layer.

The 5th layer, I add wild rice. This takes a few hours to cook. When im finished cooking the wildrice, I refry it with butter, and a pinch of rosemary.

The 6th layer, I add sourcream

Then it is eat time. I errupt the party with my famous dip.

-----

When i make salsa,

It is always a simple salsa, basically the way a lot of people make it.

Rule 1, though about salsa, is never boil or cook it. Salsa is always fresh off the hoof, as some would say. All fresh ingrediants, and a blender wil do nicely.

JaxBroncoGirl
08-11-2011, 09:45 AM

6 tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
10 tomatillos
10 green chilies
2 serrano
2 pablano
5 jalapenos
2 peaches
4 clove garlic
1 chopped onion
1 bundle of cilantro- (you can use less but I LOVE Cilantro so i use a lot)
1 tbs vinegar
1 tbs lime juice
black pepper to taste

It sounds really good. Have you ever tried using datil peppers instead of jalapenos? Let me know, I grow them down here in Jax and we make datil pepper mustard and ketchup along with datil pepper vinegar all the time. The datil pepper has really great flavor. :cool:

NightTerror218
08-11-2011, 11:48 AM
It sounds really good. Have you ever tried using datil peppers instead of jalapenos? Let me know, I grow them down here in Jax and we make datil pepper mustard and ketchup along with datil pepper vinegar all the time. The datil pepper has really great flavor. :cool:

Send me up some of that mustard.....I am a huge brats, and sausage fan. I love me a good mustard on them :D

underrated29
08-11-2011, 11:58 AM

Never even heard of the datil peppers. Will have to check them out. Thanks

Are they spicy? Sweet?Are they like banana peppers (my favorites)..what could I compare them too?

MOtorboat
08-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Ok u...trying a similar thing. I've never tried a salsa...

underrated29
08-11-2011, 05:51 PM

Good luck man.:salute: Its a lot of fun.

let us know how it goes and if its good, post what you did so we can give it a try.

MOtorboat
08-11-2011, 06:20 PM

Good luck man.:salute: Its a lot of fun.

let us know how it goes and if its good, post what you did so we can give it a try.

Its a scaled back version of the one you posted...

2 tomatoes
Can of paste
Can of green chile (I'm going to get yelled at)
1 Poblano
1 Jalapeno
1 onion
4 cloves of garlic
Cilantro, about a half of a pack
A little cholula hot sauce
Black Pepper

Its simmering now...I'm a little early here, thought the game started sooner...

underrated29
08-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Its a scaled back version of the one you posted...

2 tomatoes
Can of paste
Can of green chile (I'm going to get yelled at)
1 Poblano
1 Jalapeno
1 onion
4 cloves of garlic
Cilantro, about a half of a pack
A little cholula hot sauce
Black Pepper

Its simmering now...I'm a little early here, thought the game started sooner...

How's it smell? Does it have a nice aroma to it? ....I can't make it tonight because my playoff game. Last thing I need is to get checked with a shitfire stomach. All nice and easy carbs for me

MOtorboat
08-11-2011, 07:03 PM
How's it smell? Does it have a nice aroma to it? ....I can't make it tonight because my playoff game. Last thing I need is to get checked with a shitfire stomach. All nice and easy carbs for me

It smells like cilantro, garlic, onion and peppers...lol...

Yeah it smells great.

MOtorboat
08-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Not bad, pretty spicy, probably could have used one or two more tomatoes...pretty good...cilantro is strong, but that's good. Might go back and simmer a little longer and add some cumin.

JaxBroncoGirl
08-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Never even heard of the datil peppers. Will have to check them out. Thanks

Are they spicy? Sweet?Are they like banana peppers (my favorites)..what could I compare them too?

OK, they are hot like a jalapeno but a different bite. Not sweet but really spicey. PM some type of address and I will pull from my garden and send straight to you if you want. Look up datil pepper sauce or pepper - the pepper is hot but with a good spicey kick. Not as shocking as the jalapeno but it has a kick. You would be able to make stews, chili, meatloaf, perlo, salsa. We make it down here and make hot mustard and ketchup along with vinagered peppers which is awesome if you like banana peppers. The vinager is really hot, the peppers you really cannot eat because they are just too hot. Oh and do not rub your eyes when handling them...

dogfish
08-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Not bad, pretty spicy, probably could have used one or two more tomatoes...pretty good...cilantro is strong, but that's good. Might go back and simmer a little longer and add some cumin.

and a little lime juice. . .

MileHighCrew
08-14-2011, 12:50 PM
I tried for the first time, I made this

Ingredients
12 roma (plum) tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 small onion, quartered
1 jalapeno chile pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
1. Preheat the broiler.
2. In a medium baking dish, place roma (plum) tomatoes, garlic, onion and jalapeno chile pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
3. Checking often, broil 5 to 10 minutes, or until outsides of vegetables are charred.
4. Remove vegetables from heat. Remove and discard tomato cores, jalapeno stem and garlic skins.
5. In a food processor, coarsely chop the charred vegetables. Transfer to a medium bowl and mix in cumin, salt, lime juice and cilantro.

from thsi site http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Tomato-Salsa-I/Detail.aspx
I added a green pepper though, it is good but the cilantro and cumin are really strong. I am going to try the add some lime see if it helps but not bad for the first time, not very spicy though

BigDaddyBronco
08-14-2011, 02:58 PM
1 jalapeno!!!!!!

Wow, way to spice it up. :D

Dang Canadians....

MileHighCrew
08-14-2011, 04:30 PM
1 jalapeno!!!!!!

Wow, way to spice it up. :D

Dang Canadians....

I was following a recipe I didn't know how hot it would be it was my first time, next time I'll do 2-3, but ya, I am not going to eat 50 chillis to prove I'm a man