PDA

View Full Version : For now, Denver Broncos stress teaching on offense over practice time

TXBRONC
08-08-2011, 09:27 AM
For now, Denver Broncos stress teaching on offense over practice time
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/08/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

When it comes to their offensive playbook, the Broncos have the philosophy of teach it now and practice it later.

Such is the way for a new coaching staff that missed a pile of offseason workouts because of the NFL lockout.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18636116

Stupid lockout. :tsk:

TXBRONC
08-08-2011, 09:31 AM
For now, Denver Broncos stress teaching on offense over practice time
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/08/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

A lot of the terminology in Josh McDaniels​' playbook was retained, but new coach John Fox wants the Broncos to run the ball in more two-back, two-tight end formations.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18636116

So much for this being the same offense that McDaniels ran.

claymore
08-08-2011, 09:38 AM
So much for this being the same offense that McDaniels ran.

Thank God!

Juriga72
08-08-2011, 09:42 AM
I am getting a feeling in my stomache that is not good...

lgenf
08-08-2011, 09:49 AM
really tough to implement a new offense in 1 week - hope they really use the pre-season games well

TXBRONC
08-08-2011, 09:51 AM
really tough to implement a new offense in 1 week - hope they really use the pre-season games well

They really don't have much choice.

Lonestar
08-08-2011, 09:53 AM

The playbook is much the same perhaps with some added running plays, but the terminology remains the same.
So it is not like they are starting from scratch like when Josh came to town.

Now on D everything is new again.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

jlarsiii
08-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Good thing they have the pre-season to continue to install and practice. . .

MOtorboat
08-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Does it bother anyone else that McCoy doesn't seem to have an offensive system that he is familiar with and teaches/coaches on a consistent basis, but seems more like a "yes" man?

TXBRONC
08-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Does it bother anyone else that McCoy doesn't seem to have an offensive system that he is familiar with and teaches/coaches on a consistent basis, but seems more like a "yes" man?

Two questions for you.

1.) Why wouldn't he be familar with a system that he ran now go on three years?

2.) Unless you're sitting in the meetings how would you or anyone else what McCoy knows or what he's teaching is coaches on a consistent basis?

underrated29
08-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Im with ya MO. I dont like Mccoy as the OC....I havent for a few years now, which is why every year at about game 6 I put in my sig, something like "the play calling sucks for the love of god"

Im hoping this year I can avoid that.

MOtorboat
08-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Two questions for yo.

1.) Why wouldn't he be familar with a system that he ran now go on three years?

2.) Unless you're sitting in the meetings how would you or anyone else what McCoy knows or what he's teaching is coaches on a consistent basis?

You're right, I'm not in the coaches meetings. But, he's quarterbacks coach in Carolina in one system, comes to Denver and learns that crazy air it out scheme of McDaniels and then in comes his old coach Fox who wants to be more conservative with the ball, but he keeps a number of the concepts and terminology of the McDaniels' system. It just kind of smacks, "yes, boss" to me.

This is kind of starting to sound like how Shanahan was, with his defensive coordinators...

claymore
08-08-2011, 11:00 AM
You're right, I'm not in the coaches meetings. But, he's quarterbacks coach in Carolina in one system, comes to Denver and learns that crazy air it out scheme of McDaniels and then in comes his old coach Fox who wants to be more conservative with the ball, but he keeps a number of the concepts and terminology of the McDaniels' system. It just kind of smacks, "yes, boss" to me.

This is kind of starting to sound like how Shanahan was, with his defensive coordinators...

I dont know what to expect with this guy. Hopefully he is good. If not, I hope we cut dead weight at the end of the season.

BroncoStud
08-08-2011, 11:09 AM
The playbook is much the same perhaps with some added running plays, but the terminology remains the same.
So it is not like they are starting from scratch like when Josh came to town.

Now on D everything is new again.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Wow... You have copy of both playbooks JR? Dude, please share them with us... :elefant:

BroncoStud
08-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Im with ya MO. I dont like Mccoy as the OC....I havent for a few years now, which is why every year at about game 6 I put in my sig, something like "the play calling sucks for the love of god"

Im hoping this year I can avoid that.

I heard we just ran another Draw against the Raiders...

Nomad
08-08-2011, 11:13 AM
We'll find out Thursday night what McCoy has to offer...............dink and dunk:shocked::lol:.

TXBRONC
08-08-2011, 09:02 PM

So he was suppose tell his boss "I don't care what you want I'm going to run it my way."

HORSEPOWER 56
08-08-2011, 09:13 PM
We'll find out Thursday night what McCoy has to offer...............dink and dunk:shocked::lol:.

Probably more "run and... run".

TXBRONC
08-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Probably more "run and... run".

That's fine if we're gashing them for big gains but I think we'll still see them throwing the ball some of the time HP.

MOtorboat
08-08-2011, 11:21 PM
So he was suppose tell his boss "I don't care what you want I'm going to run it my way."

You're missing my point. I want a guy who is hired because he runs a successful system and the head coach gives him the leeway to run said successful system as part of the coach's overall philosophy. Not an offensive coordinator that just runs whatever the head coach wants him to, so he can retain his job.

Traveler
08-09-2011, 08:39 AM
You're missing my point. I want a guy who is hired because he runs a successful system and the head coach gives him the leeway to run said successful system as part of the coach's overall philosophy. Not an offensive coordinator that just runs whatever the head coach wants him to, so he can retain his job.

I feel you man!:scared:

What I'm most concerned about is a possible return to a Dan Reeves type offense. Nothing more frustrating than watching the game and knowing exactly what the team is going to do.

I did read in one Elway interview where he stated he would make sure the offense is diverse. So that gives me a little comfort.

Also a little concerned the guys we have up front still have trouble dominating the guy in front of them. Can physicality be taught?

With the exception of Clady, Franklin, and possibly Kuper, I'm not confident the interior of our line can beat the DLmen when we are in tough short yardage situations.

TXBRONC
08-09-2011, 09:41 AM

No I understood what you were saying. What I'm saying is that basing your opinion solely off of optics isn't fair.

Lonestar
08-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I feel you man!:scared:

What I'm most concerned about is a possible return to a Dan Reeves type offense. Nothing more frustrating than watching the game and knowing exactly what the team is going to do.

I did read in one Elway interview where he stated he would make sure the offense is diverse. So that gives me a little comfort.

Also a little concerned the guys we have up front still have trouble dominating the guy in front of them. Can physicality be taught?

With the exception of Clady, Franklin, and possibly Kuper, I'm not confident the interior of our line can beat the DLmen when we are in tough short yardage situations.

that is why they are switching back to ZBS did you not hear?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The newbies are both 15-25 pounds bigger than the guys we used to have and that extra beef will help them move folks out of the way..

Lancane
08-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Oooh, Oooh...Can I call bullshit?

Seriously? Whoever is buying that this offense is that different then McDaniels' Pro-Spread or Reeve's Run & Gun variant, then I have a half a million dollar house for sale for three-quarters less then the estimated market price!

First off the fact that their keeping McDaniels terminology spells not only incompetence but inexperience in regards to McCoy, and secondly it contradicts what the article said, because the system will be at least half of the old one offensive playbook if not more - keeping the jargon is seriously amateur.

Example: Defensively one year we call a 24 Studder (Meaning 2 rush, 4 cover, studder meaning selling a six-on blitz) - only to keep it with a change in system, but being that some players had the same the year before, if they call a 24 Stutter (but say it's for two fall back cover, four man blitz with the selling a 6 on blitz) it's easy to see how some will have a hard time adjusting and remembering the difference give those not in the previous system.

That tells me so much about the offense it's not even funny, it's downright sad. We're probably going to see McDaniels' Pro-Spread, mixed with New England's Double Tight-End Pro-Spread of last season and Carolina's Run & Gun and Spread variant used the years when McCoy was there.

For those thinking that the offense is going to be completely different, I'm sorry to inform you that your vastly mistaken...it's not like we're switching to a Coryell or West Coast variant, we'll see a lot of what we saw last year, just with a lot more run plays and a lot more of trying to play from behind...which we already know is not a strong suit of the Broncos at this time.

NightTerror218
08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Oooh, Oooh...Can I call bullshit?

Seriously? Whoever is buying that this offense is that different then McDaniels' Pro-Spread or Reeve's Run & Gun variant, then I have a half a million dollar house for sale for three-quarters less then the estimated market price!

First off the fact that their keeping McDaniels terminology spells not only incompetence but inexperience in regards to McCoy, and secondly it contradicts what the article said, because the system will be at least half of the old one offensive playbook if not more - keeping the jargon is seriously amateur.

Example: Defensively one year we call a 24 Studder (Meaning 2 rush, 4 cover, studder meaning selling a six-on blitz) - only to keep it with a change in system, but being that some players had the same the year before, if they call a 24 Stutter (but say it's for two fall back cover, four man blitz with the selling a 6 on blitz) it's easy to see how some will have a hard time adjusting and remembering the difference give those not in the previous system.

That tells me so much about the offense it's not even funny, it's downright sad. We're probably going to see McDaniels' Pro-Spread, mixed with New England's Double Tight-End Pro-Spread of last season and Carolina's Run & Gun and Spread variant used the years when McCoy was there.

For those thinking that the offense is going to be completely different, I'm sorry to inform you that your vastly mistaken...it's not like we're switching to a Coryell or West Coast variant, we'll see a lot of what we saw last year, just with a lot more run plays and a lot more of trying to play from behind...which we already know is not a strong suit of the Broncos at this time.

But you will see the Run vs Pass play calling closer to 50-50.

Lancane
08-09-2011, 08:44 PM
But you will see the Run vs Pass play calling closer to 50-50.

That is very true...if not by more in regards to the run game.