PDA

View Full Version : Raiders Nation is now the land of the lost

Hobe
11-20-2008, 06:22 PM
It's still fun to hate greasy Al, but the faiders have just faded away...:coffee:

November 19, 2008 - 6:04 PM
DAVID RAMSEY
THE GAZETTE
In the good old days, when the Oakland Raiders roamed our nation as a mighty NFL franchise, one of the great pleasures of living in Colorado was hating everything about these mangy marauders.
This cruel, bloodthirsty, repulsive gang once dominated the nightmares of Broncos fans.
Eat your peas, Colorado mothers warned their children, or the Raiders will snatch you.
The Raiders now reside in the NFL's gutter, winners only 21 times in their past 90 games. Pity has replaced hate, and that's the problem.
Pity is no fun.
It's time - it's past time - to offer aid to Raider Nation.
Raider Nation resembles Germany after World War II. It's in ruins with a once-proud people left devastated.
After WWII, Americans helped the Germans with the massive, ambitious Berlin Airlift. We delivered, at great risk, aid to our former enemies by dropping tons of food and clothes.
It's time to try a football version of the airlift. Broncos fans should organize an air drop to Raider Nation. Compassion demands it.
Fans could start by transporting two or three real offensive playbooks to Oakland. It's obvious the Raiders offense, averaging 13 points, improvises on every play, winging it in the tradition of backyard touch football games.
After the playbook drop, a few bright, innovative coaches could parachute into Oakland. I'd start with Joe Collier, the former Broncos defensive coordinator still blessed with square shoulders and a probing mind.
Collier, who lives in suburban Denver, constructed The Orange Crush, the 1977 Broncos (http://www.gazette.com/sections/broncos/) defense that ranks among the finest in NFL history. I'm sure he could be persuaded to serve in the name of the greater football good.
Most important, of course, is the forced removal of Raiders dictator Al Davis. This overthrow must be carried out with gentleness. Davis is a frail man, far past his prime.
It's getting hard to remember - and hard to believe - he once strutted the Raiders sideline as the ultimate football rebel.
He was strange, sure, and it's too bad no one told him greasy ducktail hairdos went out of style in 1961, but he was undeniably brilliant. He led the Raiders to five Super Bowls.
It's beyond sad to watch Davis shred his own legacy. He destroys, with every illogical decision, the team he constructed. He signed receiver Javon Walker. He drafted quarterback JaMarcus Russell.
You can't count on much in life. You can count on Davis making the wrong move.
These are weird days in Raider Nation. Before the opener this season, I stayed in a hotel a few blocks from Oakland Coliseum. (It never will be McAfee Coliseum for me.)
Hundreds of Raiders fans resided in nearby hotels. Raider Nation was full of hope, a fresh season beckoning, and true believers partied with impressive gusto.
At 3 a.m. on the day of the Broncos-Raiders game, I was awakened by a dozen or so drunken fans who shouted "Raiders" at the limits of their lungs while celebrating the team's glorious past.
The present soon ended this big party.
That night, the Broncos destroyed the Raiders, and the next morning at the hotel breakfast bar I watched a dozen members of Raider nation gloomily picking at their waffles.
They couldn't believe their Raiders were, once again, weaklings.
Broncos (http://www.gazette.com/sections/broncos/) fans need their arch-enemy to revive. It's excruciating to watch the Raiders flopping around like a fish that's about to die.
Imagine if Batman awoke one morning to discover The Joker had retired from crime and found work behind the counter at Burger King.
Batman requires a thriving, thoroughly evil Joker. The Broncos need the Evil Empire of the West to revive.
The Raiders stagger along as the NFL's weakest, goofiest franchise.
And that drains all the fun from hating them.

Fan in Exile
11-20-2008, 06:26 PM
I am totally opposed to any form of aid to the Raiders. We could beat them by 40 points for the next fifty years and I would enjoy every moment of it.

JKcatch724
11-20-2008, 06:35 PM
In order for that WWII analogy to be right, Al Davis would have had to shoot himself after losing to Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl.

BroncoJoe
11-20-2008, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't say it drains the fun from hating them, but the water level is definitely headed downward.

OrangeHoof
11-20-2008, 06:41 PM
It's no longer special to dress as a black-clad Halloween marauder. Now, everybody's goth. If you dress like a Raider, you don't stand out in the crowd anymore.

JKcatch724
11-20-2008, 06:42 PM
All of you guys living in Colorado, or outside of California, I could see where you're coming from trying to revive the rivalry because it's just getting pathetic now.

But try living IN "Raider Nation". Trust me, being around these fans, it will NEVER be hard to hate the Faid.

omac
11-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Nice, funny article. But I'd say be careful what you wish for; this Bronco team has enough holes to be beaten by any team on any given day. KC is a reminder of that.

20yardline
11-20-2008, 10:58 PM
kick them while they are down.

Dr Velcro
11-21-2008, 08:58 AM
At this point, I think the Chargers are the new Raiders for the Broncos.

claymore
11-21-2008, 09:02 AM

I hate the Chargers more than Ive ever hated them (chargers). Im glad they cant/couldnt utilize all that tallent. I still hate the raiders, and chiefs worse. And if I ever see Daunte Hall, Im gonna kick him in the Nuts.

Bronco Bible
11-21-2008, 09:07 AM
It's no longer special to dress as a black-clad Halloween marauder. Now, everybody's goth. If you dress like a Raider, you don't stand out in the crowd anymore.

Or scare ANYONE!!!!!!

Dreadnought
11-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Help for the Raiders? Hell, they got Javon Walker and Ashley Lelie - thats all they deserve.

It doesn't reduce my hate for them a jot for them to suck utterly. It just makes every football season that much more enjoyable. Watching them rack up all of 3 first downs against Atlanta was just laugh-out-loud funny. I might consider relenting a little bit if their alltime winning percentage drops below that of the Cardinals, but I am sadly unlikely to live that long so screw 'em.

Bronco Bible
11-21-2008, 09:17 AM

The thing about the Chuggers is they have no hardware,so rivalry is a pretty big word DV.

Dreadnought
11-21-2008, 09:21 AM
The thing about the Chuggers is they have no hardware,so rivalry is a pretty big word DV.

That and their alleged fans will be mostly gone in a year or two, so there won't be anyone to argue with or make fun of. The Chargers are a very temporary issue for us.

MileHighWrath
11-21-2008, 09:50 AM
I am totally opposed to any for of aid to the Raiders. We could beat them by 40 points for the next fifty years and I would enjoy every moment of it.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

Long Live Al(zheimers) Davis! May his tenure over the raiders org. never end!

Day1BroncoFan
11-21-2008, 12:09 PM
My discuss for the faders as a football team goes very deep. I do respect their fans to an extent.

The chefs, well their the chefs.

sandy eggo, I can't stand the whinning the majority of the fans are doing and some of the players. A lot of the fans are fat headed braggarts claiming they own something they don't. They don't want to talk about the past but they are always bringing up last year at their convenience.

The faders are more of a rivalry of the ages. sandy eggo just plain makes me sick, I can't stand them.

GEM
11-21-2008, 12:16 PM
All of you guys living in Colorado, or outside of California, I could see where you're coming from trying to revive the rivalry because it's just getting pathetic now.

But try living IN "Raider Nation". Trust me, being around these fans, it will NEVER be hard to hate the Faid.

Yea...but are those real fans or just gang bangers that like the colors. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm different than most. I want that rabid rivalry back. I want to head down to Invesco on a Monday night game and bang heads with some clown dressed in Silver & Black. I want the days of the AFCW being THE toughest division in football back. Yea it may be tougher on our team, but I want a tough team. I don't like squeeking through wins. I want the real deal.

sacmar
11-21-2008, 01:12 PM
The raiders aren't even fun to make fun of anymore.......if it weren't for thier moronic fans showing up in thier stupid gear and talking sheeeet like each week is a turnaround game and the super bowl is still in sight i'd probably forget they were even a team

MileHighWrath
11-21-2008, 05:16 PM
The raiders will ALWAYS be fun to make fun of, they are especially fun to mock NOW and for the last few years and the next several to come.

What's with the pity? Their problems are all self inflicted which DEMANDS that we all pile on, kick them now that they are down, spit on them, pi** on them, beat them with a stick, then roll them over and DO IT AGAIN!

GEM
11-21-2008, 05:20 PM
The raiders will ALWAYS be fun to make fun of, they are especially fun to mock NOW and for the last few years and the next several to come.

What's with the pity? Their problems are all self inflicted which DEMANDS that we all pile on, kick them now that they are down, spit on them, pi** on them, beat them with a stick, then roll them over and DO IT AGAIN!

I have definately enjoyed the beating down of the Raiders, but it's just not so fun kicking a dead dog. I would imagine we'd have to get in line behind Raiders fans to kick ole Al Davis.

MileHighWrath
11-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Kicking a dead dog is definitely no fun, but a dead dog wearing a raiders t-shirt and ball cap? Not many things more fun than that!

Kaylore
11-21-2008, 05:24 PM
How about we airlift all our fecal matter onto their stadium?

GEM
11-21-2008, 05:31 PM

The guys in the Lounge could probably help you out there. They are having a healthy discussion about fecal matter. :laugh:

Day1BroncoFan
11-21-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't think abusing the faders is like kicking a dead dog. If the faders quit getting back up, I'll quit kicking them, until them it's fair game.

Hobe
11-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I liked this article! It caught the diluting of the rivalry because the Raiders truly are the pathetic faiders thanks to greasy Al. (You the man Al!) It also reminded me of a time long ago. Not as long ago as the Raider’s and Chief’s Super Bowl victories. Not ancient times, but back in ’77 and ’78. Back in those days hatred of the Raiders was a pure, chaste thing. Radio announcers would say, “We’re playing the HATED Raiders this week”! And that year we won! We beat the dirtiest team in the league! We beat the Assassin, Mr. Pine tar, all of them!!! Let me tell you about the moment that described the era, and true Broncos fandom to you.

I was a longhaired, bearded, hippy (No, I was not dirty! I toke showers! Really!!!) in collage. Every Sunday morning, my friends and I met to eat HOT GREEN CHILLY {really HOT}, drink Coors beer, and watch the Broncos. Mortal man cannot come closer to heaven!

In January the Broncos and Raiders would meet in the AFC champions. I was on my way home from school and stop at King Supers for something. I got in the quick line behind a old lady that was about 5 foot nothing and had blue curly hair. She looked around and saw my Orange Crush tee shirt and said, “Oh I hope the Broncos beat those horrible Raider!” What could I say? “Yes mum. I do, too!” She checked out and walked away. The checkout guy and I watched her walk a way and he looked at me and said, “she was a nice old lady!” I said, “ya!” and checked out.

BEAT THE RAIDERS, for that wonderful old lady!

dogfish
11-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Help for the Raiders? Hell, they got Javon Walker and Ashley Lelie - thats all they deserve.

on the contrary, dread, i think they are richly deserving of marlon mccree, marquand manuel, and especially calvin lowry. . . .

Hobe
11-21-2008, 08:49 PM
on the contrary, dread, i think they are richly deserving of marlon mccree, marquand manuel, and especially calvin lowry. . . .

You're cruel fish, very cruel; but that not always a bad thing...;)

MasterShake
11-21-2008, 09:03 PM
I don't feel bad for a team that split the series with us last season. I take them scoring points as a personal insult to our team and justification for the rivalry to be re-ignited. The very existence of the Raiders is akin to Evil being there because Good is. You can cut the head off a snake and it is still a snake. Do not take the Raiders lightly. Articles like this are written by pacifists and hippies who do not understand football, or Satan himself trying to lull us asleep so the Raiders can steal a win in OUR backyard. F*** that and The Raiders. If we don't win by at LEAST a TD I will be dissapointed. When we lose to the Raiders, my dog kicks me. Are you pumped for Sunday? I am. All week until that game a sweet guitar solo starts playing in my head. Its starts out low on monday and gradually builds until kickoff when it sounds like the amp is blasting in my ears. When the game starts, I freak out with rage. Everything looks red. I curse so much I make the picture of my mom by my t.v. blush. After the game is over I pace until my blood pressure reaches normal levels. Raiders week at Mile High...whats not to love?

Hobe
11-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't feel bad for a team that split the series with us last season. I take them scoring points as a personal insult to our team and justification for the rivalry to be re-ignited. The very existence of the Raiders is akin to Evil being there because Good is. You can cut the head off a snake and it is still a snake. Do not take the Raiders lightly. Articles like this are written by pacifists and hippies who do not understand football, or Satan himself trying to lull us asleep so the Raiders can steal a win in OUR backyard. F*** that and The Raiders. If we don't win by at LEAST a TD I will be dissapointed. When we lose to the Raiders, my dog kicks me. Are you pumped for Sunday? I am. All week until that game a sweet guitar solo starts playing in my head. Its starts out low on monday and gradually builds until kickoff when it sounds like the amp is blasting in my ears. When the game starts, I freak out with rage. Everything looks red. I curse so much I make the picture of my mom by my t.v. blush. After the game is over I pace until my blood pressure reaches normal levels. Raiders week at Mile High...whats not to love?

A mikeshake calling a Hippy "mushy" is truly ironic! :rofl:

MasterShake
11-21-2008, 09:11 PM
A mikeshake calling a Hippy "mushy" is truly ironic! :rofl:

Whats a mikeshake? Sounds like a kinky sex thing. You have a friend named Mike and some free time recently?:salute:

Dreadnought
11-21-2008, 09:19 PM

Just brilliant, Shake :salute:

on the contrary, dread, i think they are richly deserving of marlon mccree, marquand manuel, and especially calvin lowry. . .

I'll pop a 90 Minute IPA for that post. I propose we work out Denver Native (Carol) as Strong Safety - she will be an upgrade over Calvin Lowry.

Didn't we do that already? Thats what it looked like to me when we played there in September.

Hobe
11-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Whats a mikeshake? Sounds like a kinky sex thing. You have a friend named Mike and some free time recently?:salute:

A drunken milkshake! :D

MasterShake
11-21-2008, 09:21 PM
A drunken milkshake! :D

:beer:

KCL
11-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Yea...but are those real fans or just gang bangers that like the colors. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm different than most. I want that rabid rivalry back. I want to head down to Invesco on a Monday night game and bang heads with some clown dressed in Silver & Black. I want the days of the AFCW being THE toughest division in football back. Yea it may be tougher on our team, but I want a tough team. I don't like squeeking through wins. I want the real deal.

Maybe the Chiefs can bring some of that back next season GEM...:rolleyes:
1 effin win...:tsk: I still love my Chiefs though! :beer:

Dean
11-21-2008, 10:26 PM

To late it's already there every home game both on the field and in the stands. The front office must have thought it was a bargain and overstocked on it.

dogfish
11-21-2008, 11:00 PM
I take them scoring points as a personal insult to our team

an affront to all of humanity, really. . . .

MasterShake
11-21-2008, 11:21 PM
an affront to all of humanity, really. . . .

More like an abomination before God. Like a platypus, or as I call it "Devil Duck-Beaver".

Hobe
11-26-2008, 07:58 PM
I take it all back!

KCL
11-26-2008, 07:59 PM
I take it all back!

:lol:

Devilspawn
11-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Oh my devil, I forgot about this thread. Wake up 'spawn!!

Devilspawn
11-26-2008, 09:36 PM
:lol:

Oh squish, it's like being a horny kid in a candy store full of chocolate coated virgins in here. Trust me lads, the feeling of the reaming an opponent dropping fecal matter kicking a donkey when it's down and wishing it happened in an infinite loop... is mutual + 1. Especially when you do it as reveyange.