PDA

View Full Version : 8/6 Practice

Mike
08-06-2011, 06:15 PM
So I went up to Invesco today to take a look at the team. I am not great at analysis, but I will give it a go.

This team looks bad. Like really bad.

I will type about the actual scrimmage part of the practice: Each team got 12 plays. 1st O vs 2nd D; 2nd O vs 1st D, 3rd vs 3rd.

- QBs don't look great. This team is in trouble offensively no matter who the QB is. None of them inspired any hope in me.

Orton looked meh. He had some ok passes and moved the team down the field in large part thanks to a short dump off to Moreno, but crapped the bed in the red zone (during the scrimmage).

Tebow looked ok in practice, but really indecisive during the scrimmage. In his defense, his o-line sucked against the 1st team defense. Still he looked shaky and indecisive.

Quinn had some short dump offs and moved the chains vs the 3rd string defense. Overall ok, better than last year, but it was against the 3rd string defense.

- Dumerville was straight out owning the 2nd string o-line. He was on Tebow often and quick. It looks like he will pick up where he left off.

- RBs looked ok. Moreno caught a nice dump off and took it for a huge gain. Jeremiah Johnson (I think) had a nice run against the 1st team defense. However, once again they could get nothing going on short yardage downs.

- Lloyd looks sharp, but didn't have much opportunity to do anything. Royal looked quick on punt returns and had a nice catch. Decked looked solid.

I hope the team plays with a bit more intensity and crispness on Thursday. Cause I just came away from this practice thinking meh and that it was going to be a long year.

MileHiWildcat
08-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Tebow looked ok in practice, but really indecisive during the scrimmage. In his defense, his o-line sucked against the 1st team defense. Still he looked shaky and indecisive.

Really ? The 1st team D made the 2nd team O look bad ? Shocking !

DenBronx
08-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Hoping for the best but expecting the worse.

I wouldnt be suprised if this team struggles early in the season. I think our one bright spot is Elvis returning healthy.

Mike

Yeah, I couldn't figure it out why they didn't run 1st on 1st.

silkamilkamonico

And on the flip side, our first string O couldn't score TD's against our second string D.

xzn
08-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Mike, I was there too and have to echoe pretty much what you said. Elvis was spectacular!

I'd like a longer look at Quinn with and against guys who will play in the league.

Rosario made a nice catch on a back shoulder fade that was a bit short by Quinn.

Orton hook sliding into a fetal position at the 2 yrd line on 3rd down summed up my frustration with his uninspiring play. Also #8 missed an easy check down when he had to slide in the pocket.

Worse was #15 rolling to his right off of play action and overthrowing a wide open Julius Thomas.

Having 3 QBs = not having a real QB

xzn
08-06-2011, 06:46 PM
They quit a half hour early, they could've used the extra work imho.

Clipworthy
08-06-2011, 06:48 PM
yeah it'll be a long season, but who would want a short one?

Fan in Exile
08-06-2011, 07:14 PM
yeah it'll be a long season, but who would want a short one?

Or maybe, just maybe all 32 teams are suffering from the lockout and not having OTAs and mini-camps, so we could be competitive. Geez what did you guys expect after 8 days of practice?

broncobryce
08-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Yep, it's still early, I wouldn't panic yet. Not that I expect superbowl this season either. In shortened work, defense has the advantage according to people who know more than me.

underrated29
08-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Im sorry guys I wasn't there as it was my sons bday party today but orton went like 16/17 on his throws and Tebow went like 14/16.....

That's almost perfect.

TXBRONC
08-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Im sorry guys I wasn't there as it was my sons bday party today but orton went like 16/17 on his throws and Tebow went like 14/16.....

That's almost perfect.

Happy birthday to your son Under. :birthday:

True completion wise that's great but if you're not sticking the ball in the end zone that's not so great.

TXBRONC
08-06-2011, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=xzn;1320430]Orton hook sliding into a fetal position at the 2 yrd line on 3rd down summed up my frustration with his uninspiring play. Also #8 missed an easy check down when he had to slide in the pocket./QUOTE]

On the one hand it's practice. On the other hand if it were a live game it would surprise me if Orton did the same thing.

underrated29
08-06-2011, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=xzn;1320430]Orton hook sliding into a fetal position at the 2 yrd line on 3rd down summed up my frustration with his uninspiring play. Also #8 missed an easy check down when he had to slide in the pocket./QUOTE]

On the one hand it's practice. On the other hand if it were a live game it would surprise me if Orton did the same thing.

Exactly why im done with orton

BroncoBowlby 88
08-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Decker had a couple of big drops, i heard he was a off his game.

i love that doom and Miller were looking good! QB's will hate our D-line if thats the case!

but lets not forget that this was the first practice like this. no team in our situation looks game ready. it would be ignorant to view this as how are season will look.

lgenf
08-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Ok not for nothing but if you guys played football at any level beyond pop warner you'd know that defense is way easier than offense

O is timing and timing ( as the name implies) takes time to get in sync

D is turn it loose and go create havoc

I wouldn't expect our O to look good aft 1 week

Lancane
08-06-2011, 09:48 PM
but lets not forget that this was the first practice like this. no team in our situation looks game ready. it would be ignorant to view this as how are season will look.

I wouldn't bet the house on those odds, most teams have not gone through coaching changes, so they've kept much of their base talent and have their defenses and offenses long instilled with their core players...we've only kept most of the offense in place, the defense is wholly different - and our offense last year was predictable and stale. It would be a safe bet to say that near three-quarters of the teams in the NFL if not more are better prepared at this time, then we are right now... And to top it off, Orton, Quinn and Tebow are running the offense like a sorry ass joke with an even sorrier punchline. If the offense is too much like the one in place last year or the one in Carolina which is close enough to worry most folks, then we're in some deep shit come the regular season.

Oh well, it's not like most of us expected to win and win now, the team is rebuilding and we have questionable quarterbacks running it. Next year, depending on if we draft a franchise capable quarterback we'll see improvement...right now, I don't expect to see us really competing for much, in a year or two maybe.

TXBRONC
08-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Ok not for nothing but if you guys played football at any level beyond pop warner you'd know that defense is way easier than offense

O is timing and timing ( as the name implies) takes time to get in sync

D is turn it loose and go create havoc

I wouldn't expect our O to look good aft 1 week

I hear what you're saying but Orton took the team darn near point blank range after long drive and the offense still only came away with a field goal.

Canmore
08-06-2011, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't bet the house on those odds, most teams have not gone through coaching changes, so they've kept much of their base talent and have their defenses and offenses long instilled with their core players...we've only kept most of the offense in place, the defense is wholly different - and our offense last year was predictable and stale. It would be a safe bet to say that near three-quarters of the teams in the NFL if not more are better prepared at this time, then we are right now... And to top it off, Orton, Quinn and Tebow are running the offense like a sorry ass joke with an even sorrier punchline. If the offense is too much like the one in place last year or the one in Carolina which is close enough to worry most folks, then we're in some deep shit come the regular season.

Oh well, it's not like most of us expected to win and win now, the team is rebuilding and we have questionable quarterbacks running it. Next year, depending on if we draft a franchise capable quarterback we'll see improvement...right now, I don't expect to see us really competing for much, in a year or two maybe.

The lockout did us no favors and the quarterback position does not look like a strength at this point tin time. Maybe things will play out in our favor as preseason progresses but I'm not holding my breath.

As a side note, Dumervil sounded ready to go.

Buff
08-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks Mike, I appreciate a report that isn't all flowers and sunshine talking about guys dominating a 7 on 7 with no pads. Just give it to me straight.

TXBRONC
08-06-2011, 10:03 PM

Maybe I'm being harsh but I think Orton running with the first string offense against the second string defense and only coming away with two field goals is more troubling than the second string offense going against the first string defense.

lgenf
08-06-2011, 10:05 PM
I hear what you're saying but Orton took the team darn near point blank range after long drive and the offense still only came away with a field goal.

Yeah but TT and Orton aren't playing well together right now and in a real game TT comes in inside the 15 and gets the ball in the damn end zone for us

You did the see the other post that TT had two jump passes back to back and they BOTH worked!

Let's just be delusional and optimistic at this point and be happy

In a few days we actually play someone else and we get a measuring stick at that point when 1's go against 1's

Than we can see if TT Quinn or Orton moves the meter any

Canmore
08-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Maybe I'm being harsh but I think Orton running with the first string offense against the second string defense and only coming away with two field goals is more troubling than the second string offense going against the first string defense.

I'm glad the number one defense had the number two offense for lunch, they should have. As far as the number one offense only getting to field goals is troubling. It isn't like we have great depth on this team.

TXBRONC
08-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeah but TT and Orton aren't playing well together right now and in a real game TT comes in inside the 15 and gets the ball in the damn end zone for us

You did the see the other post that TT had two jump passes back to back and they BOTH worked!

Let's just be delusional and optimistic at this point and be happy

In a few days we actually play someone else and we get a measuring stick at that point when 1's go against 1's

Than we can see if TT Quinn or Orton moves the meter any

How often do you think Tebow is going to come in for Orton once the team is inside the red zone? It will be a relatively small amount of times. So Orton has to be able to do more with ball in the red zone. Besdies that he was going up against the second string defense. It's not like the guys on the first string offense are all new to him. Most of those guys he's played with for more than one season.

Canmore
08-06-2011, 10:18 PM
How often do you think Tebow is going to come in for Orton once the team is inside the red zone? It will be a relatively small amount of times. So Orton has to be able to do more with ball in the red zone. Besdies that he was going up against the second string defense. It's not like the guys on the first string offense are all new to him. Most of those guys he's played with for more than one season.

The second string defense and our depth is really questionable. Field goals are unacceptable. Orton needs to get the ball in the end zone.

TXBRONC
08-06-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm glad the number one defense had the number two offense for lunch, they should have. As far as the number one offense only getting to field goals is troubling. It isn't like we have great depth on this team.

Agreed I would be very worried if the second string offense was kicking the first string defense's butt. The bright spot for the second stringers is that Tebow completed 14/16 passes against the first string defense.

BroncoStud
08-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Good, maybe we will be in the Luck lottery afterall. For all those who want us to go 6-10 or 7-9, I would like to ask WHY? What good will that do ANYONE?

Let's be 3-13 BAD so we can make a run at a legit franchise QB. If you don't win the Super Bowl or even make the playoffs why not get the highest draft pick possible? I just don't get it...

I think this is a 5-win team AT BEST. I hope that holds true.

TXBRONC
08-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Good, maybe we will be in the Luck lottery afterall. For all those who want us to go 6-10 or 7-9, I would like to ask WHY? What good will that do ANYONE?

Let's be 3-13 BAD so we can make a run at a legit franchise QB. If you don't win the Super Bowl or even make the playoffs why not get the highest draft pick possible? I just don't get it...

Why because I prefer to watch Denver win than lose.

Mike
08-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Agreed I would be very worried if the second string offense was kicking the first string defense's butt. The bright spot for the second stringers is that Tebow completed 14/16 passes against the first string defense.

His numbers included the 7 on 7 drills (with no pressure). He was much more solid during practice.

But he was incredibly shaky during the scrimmage. Going against the 1st string d with a bunch of scrubs will do that to you though. Denver's lack of depth really was showing.

chazoe60
08-07-2011, 09:34 AM
One thing I noticed about all the twitter updates and recaps that I read, we're still running screen passes as if it's the only thing we know how to do.
I swear if we start running screen passes on 3rd and 6 every effing time I'm gonna lose my shit.

chazoe60
08-07-2011, 09:44 AM

I see where you're coming from and I actually sort of agree. I say sorta because if I had my druthers we'd end with a respectable record and Tebow showing promise but second option would be drafting Andrew Luck somehow.

Andrew Luck is that good IMHO. I'll be cheering my ass off and happy as Hell when we win and bummed when we lose but if we go 3-13 or 2-14 and earn the first pick in the draft I won't be as crushed as you'd think because of Luck.

Go ask Colts fans how they feel about sucking so bad they were able to draft Manning.

Some will say I'm putting too much emphasis on one position but teams winning the SB without franchise QBs is a very rare thing. Elite QBs improve the chances of their teams exponentially.

BroncoWave
08-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Or maybe, just maybe all 32 teams are suffering from the lockout and not having OTAs and mini-camps, so we could be competitive. Geez what did you guys expect after 8 days of practice?

I can only speak for the Saints since I am working their camp, but from what I have seen from their practices, their offense is incredibly sharp. Now obviously they have much better players on their offense than we do and are used to their system, but they don't seem to be rusty at all from the lockout.

claymore
08-07-2011, 09:54 AM
If our offense sucks as bad as it did last year we will need a new OC to go along whatever QB we draft.

Northman
08-07-2011, 10:00 AM
If our offense sucks as bad as it did last year we will need a new OC to go along whatever QB we draft.

I hear Josh McDaniels is really good.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Well, all the experts said it would be rough going at first and everyone would be a little rusty. NTM, the defense always looks better than the offense early on because they don't have to worry as much about timing, they can just read and react.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-07-2011, 10:10 AM
I can only speak for the Saints since I am working their camp, but from what I have seen from their practices, their offense is incredibly sharp. Now obviously they have much better players on their offense than we do and are used to their system, but they don't seem to be rusty at all from the lockout.

That's because with the exception of Reggie Bush, they have no new starters on offense, the same playbook, and have an elite QB. That's got to help.

Even though our OC is the same, the playbook has changed somewhat. Both Fox and McCoy have said so in interviews.

BroncoWave
08-07-2011, 10:14 AM
That's because with the exception of Reggie Bush, they have no new starters on offense, the same playbook, and have an elite QB. That's got to help.

Even though our OC is the same, the playbook has changed somewhat. Both Fox and McCoy have said so in interviews.

Yes, I pretty much said as much in my post. And I don't think losing Bush will hurt them at all. They added Sproles, and Ingram looks like he is going to be a stud.

claymore
08-07-2011, 11:06 AM
I hear Josh McDaniels is really good.

:harf: x 1,000,000

MileHiWildcat
08-07-2011, 11:12 AM

Most clueless thing I have ever read from a Bronco fan. Just wow...

jhildebrand
08-07-2011, 12:41 PM
I said it before and say it again, the W/L column probably isn't all that different between the 2 QB's. If that is the case then this team is better off finding out what they have in Tebow now.

MOtorboat
08-07-2011, 12:56 PM

WTF are you even talking about?

Makes perfect sense to me. The offense struggles scoring points two years in a row, the OC's job is on the line, and you might want to think about replacing the quarterback. Clueless? No.

BroncoStud
08-07-2011, 12:58 PM

I doubt he gets fired by McCoy should be held accountable for the offense and it's production.

MileHiWildcat
08-07-2011, 11:17 PM
I see where you're coming from and I actually sort of agree. I say sorta because if I had my druthers we'd end with a respectable record and Tebow showing promise but second option would be drafting Andrew Luck somehow.

Andrew Luck is that good IMHO. I'll be cheering my ass off and happy as Hell when we win and bummed when we lose but if we go 3-13 or 2-14 and earn the first pick in the draft I won't be as crushed as you'd think because of Luck.

Go ask Colts fans how they feel about sucking so bad they were able to draft Manning.

Some will say I'm putting too much emphasis on one position but teams winning the SB without franchise QBs is a very rare thing. Elite QBs improve the chances of their teams exponentially.

Luck plays in a conference with ZERO defense. Try again.

Lonestar
08-08-2011, 09:32 AM
What difference does it matter?

How many good QBs have been broken mentally by getting hammered?

Perhaps the hate for Orton is clouding judgement for the teams good.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoStud
08-08-2011, 11:22 AM
What difference does it matter?

How many good QBs have been broken mentally by getting hammered?

Perhaps the hate for Orton is clouding judgement for the teams good.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Maybe there's a reason Denver fans want Orton to be gone...? :elefant: