PDA

View Full Version : Go Shannon!

Northman
08-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Congrats on the HOF buddy, you are missed!

nevcraw
08-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Well deserved for a colorful dude who was awesome at what he did and a joy to watch!!

anbody know if Elway made the trip? Haven't seen him with the rest of the HOF guys..

DenBronx
08-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Well deserved.

Shannon is one of my favorite Broncos ever.

And he does look sharpe in that yellow jacket! :salute:

Chidoze
08-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Congrats on the HOF buddy, you are missed!
He's very missed! Very happy for him, it's an honor to have been able to watch him play!

MOtorboat
08-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Finally. Glad to see another Bronco in.

DenBronx
08-06-2011, 07:06 PM

TD and Rod Smith are next.

MOtorboat
08-06-2011, 07:10 PM

TD and Rod Smith are next.

TD will get in eventually. I'm not sure Rod will. He should, but I'm just not sure he will, and that's a shame. I'm sitting here trying to figure out someone who averages a dozen sacks for a decade took so long to get in. That's a shame too.

Northman
08-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Great job by Shannon, excellent speech.

Dean
08-06-2011, 08:25 PM

He was sincere, well spoken, and appreciative for those that helped get him to that point in his life. It was very well done and very moving.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Highlights of Shannon's speech

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hall-of-fame/09000d5d82143973/2011-HOF-Sterling-Sharpe-presents-Shannon-Sharpe?module=HP11_cp%20/

Images of Shannon in Canton

http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2011/02/broncos-tight-end-shannon-sharpe-elected-to-hall-of-fame/

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2011, 09:35 PM
CANTON, Ohio -- Shannon Sharpe's trash-talking as a player made him famous. But Sharpe's humble and eloquent speech on Saturday completed his road to Canton.

The former Denver Broncos and Baltimore Ravens tight end entered football immortality as part of a talented Class of 2011. Sharpe joined cornerback Deion Sanders, running back Marshall Faulk, defensive end Richard Dent, linebackers Les Richter and Chris Hanburger and Ed Sabol of NFL Films as the newest Hall of Fame inductees.

Sharpe was in his element -- he had a microphone and a national audience hanging on his every word. You could tell by his face leading up to the induction that a great speech was forthcoming.

"The people of the Hall of Fame tell me I only have eight minutes to do this," Sharpe began. "No chance."

rest of article, and video on link
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/30217/sharpe-delivers-moving-hof-speech

MOtorboat
08-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Shannon and Deion were excellent. I know he's a great guy, but I just wanted Marshall to shut up. I love it when they tell stories, and I don't think Faulk told many, it was just a lot of thank yous. Shannon and Deion were just entertaining while they did it.

BroncoTech
08-07-2011, 02:03 AM
Not a dry eye in the house after Shannon's speech. Ya Elway was there and he was thanked by Shannon with a story about learning the plays, was funny. I'm glad to see Ed Sabol make it too, well deserved. Those football follies from the 60's were the greatest when they came out.

DenBronx
08-07-2011, 02:14 AM
I must say that was one of the greatest speeches ever. It was incredibly moving after it was over as well when he was being interviewed by NFLN how he had to eat Racoons, Possums and drink well water to survive. His family hardships were so great that they couldnt even patch the roof and they would get wet when it rained.

He said he never dated or partied and lived with his Grandma till he was 20. I must admit I got teary eyed when he started talking about his brother Sterling. He gave him so much respect by saying he was a greater player than he was. Very humble speech by a truly and very amazing player. Shannon is one of the greatest TE's ever to lace them up.

red98
08-07-2011, 08:23 AM

I especially liked that he made Sterling cry. That's not something that would normally happen, as Shannon is by far the more emotional one.

Great speech.

BigDaddyBronco
08-07-2011, 09:26 AM
It was an excellent speech. It was nice to hear him say that his drive to be the best really hurt his kids and other relationships. It was honest and introspective and really interesting.

atwater27
08-07-2011, 10:20 AM
rest of article, and video on link
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/30217/sharpe-delivers-moving-hof-speech

If you are a Broncos fan and you haven't seen that speech, shame on you. What a spectacle. He made me go look up Sterling Sharpe's numbers too... I forgot what a stud that guy was. A potential HOF career cut short by a neck injury. Shannon was all man and all class to cast the spotlight on his brother and grandmother. That right there is what it means to be human.

Northman
08-07-2011, 10:22 AM
I never forgot about Sterling, but it makes me want him in more too now. Unfortuantely, Sterling will always fight the same thing that TD will, length of time.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-07-2011, 10:25 AM
It was an excellent speech. It was nice to hear him say that his drive to be the best really hurt his kids and other relationships. It was honest and introspective and really interesting.

Huh? That's what turned me off of the speech. I neglected my kids because of MY dream and I'm not here to apologize for it? Really? Ya kinda should. Ex-Bronco or not, that left a very bad taste in my mouth...and many others who were sitting in the stands watching the speech. Any applause after that statement were half-hearted and uncomfortable.

Otherwise, great speech.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Well deserved for a colorful dude who was awesome at what he did and a joy to watch!!

anbody know if Elway made the trip? Haven't seen him with the rest of the HOF guys..

The other 3 Denver HOFers were that...Floyd, Zim and Elway. I walked past TD and Byron Chamberlain. Didn't notice any others in the crowd.

Faulk had a lot of fellow players there. I walked beside Holt and Bruce too. Isaac Bruce is little.

DenBronx
08-07-2011, 10:27 AM
If you are a Broncos fan and you haven't seen that speech, shame on you. What a spectacle. He made me go look up Sterling Sharpe's numbers too... I forgot what a stud that guy was. A potential HOF career cut short by a neck injury. Shannon was all man and all class to cast the spotlight on his brother and grandmother. That right there is what it means to be human.

I never forgot about Sterling, but it makes me want him in more too now. Unfortuantely, Sterling will always fight the same thing that TD will, length of time.

Yeah, he had almost as many touchdowns in 7 years that Rod Smith had! :shocked:

In his last year he had 18 TD's!

It would have been great to see Sterling and Shannon both on the Broncos.

Northman
08-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Huh? That's what turned me off of the speech. I neglected my kids because of MY dream and I'm not here to apologize for it? Really? Ya kinda should. Ex-Bronco or not, that left a very bad taste in my mouth...and many others who were sitting in the stands watching the speech. Any applause after that statement were half-hearted and uncomfortable.

Otherwise, great speech.

Thats because i dont think you understood what he was getting at. If he hadnt worked so hard as he did he wouldnt of been able to provide the kind of good life his kids have now. His biggest drive was to NEVER go back to the way things were when he was young and he was going to ensure that his kids never had to deal with that even if it meant he neglected his kids. Selfish to some degree? Maybe. But its a huge sacrifice if you want your kids to have a bright future.

BroncoJoe
08-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Thats because i dont think you understood what he was getting at. If he hadnt worked so hard as he did he wouldnt of been able to provide the kind of good life his kids have now. His biggest drive was to NEVER go back to the way things were when he was young and he was going to ensure that his kids never had to deal with that even if it meant he neglected his kids. Selfish to some degree? Maybe. But its a huge sacrifice if you want your kids to have a bright future.

He could have worded it differently - it was a bit of a turnoff they way he phrased it. I totally understand what he was saying, but the way he said it could have been better.

Otherwise, he's the man.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-07-2011, 10:40 AM

I don't believe that. I believe that he was so focused on HIS dream that it hurt a lot of people. yes, a positive outcome was their creature comforts. But I take that he doesn't care that they were hurt and that the money makes everything OK. And he wasn't the one who sacrificed. He did what HE wanted to do. But the kids rarley got to see their dad.

Marshall Faulk admitted to being "not a great father", but apologized and seemed humbled about the same issue. Sharpe just rolled right passed that so he could tell everyone what made him tick. What HE was about. He did not express, to me, that he gives 2 shits about him neglecting his kids.

Northman
08-07-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't believe that. I believe that he was so focused on HIS dream that it hurt a lot of people. yes, a positive outcome was their creature comforts. But I take that he doesn't care that they were hurt and that the money makes everything OK. And he wasn't the one who sacrificed. He did what HE wanted to do. But the kids rarley got to see their dad.

Marshall Faulk admitted to being "not a great father", but apologized and seemed humbled about the same issue. Sharpe just rolled right passed that so he could tell everyone what made him tick. What HE was about. He did not express, to me, that he gives 2 shits about him neglecting his kids.

I disagree totally obviously. You dont go through that kind of pain to not care about your own kids. As BroncoJoe stated, maybe he worded it wrong but i dont see him as a selfish guy who doesnt care about family. If it was all about him he wouldnt of bothered telling the world that he was the second best player in his family. I truly think you misunderstood his intent.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I disagree totally obviously. You dont go through that kind of pain to not care about your own kids. As BroncoJoe stated, maybe he worded it wrong but i dont see him as a selfish guy who doesnt care about family. If it was all about him he wouldnt of bothered telling the world that he was the second best player in his family. I truly think you misunderstood his intent.

It's quite a leap to ASSUME that his dream and pain=caring for your kids...especially when it lead to the admitted neglect and apparent indifference that I (and many others) saw last night as well as the fact that he never said he did it for them. he did it for grammy.

Agree to disagree.

Northman
08-07-2011, 11:02 AM
It's quite a leap to ASSUME that his dream and pain=caring for your kids...especially when it lead to the admitted neglect and apparent indifference that I (and many others) saw last night as well as the fact that he never said he did it for them. he did it for grammy.

Agree to disagree.

True that. But your also assuming his intent so just remember that. You dont know the man personally.

atwater27
08-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Agree to disagree.

It's hard for me to reason that a deep love of your grandmother and brother would not translate to an even deeper love of your children. I sincerely doubt his children were neglected any more than your typical kids who's parents work long hard hours just to keep a roof over their head. And my experience with folks (including myself) who had a tough upbringing is that they tend to give their children everything they did not have, and focus more on them.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-07-2011, 11:06 AM
True that. But your also assuming his intent so just remember that. You dont know the man personally.

Agreed...we are both making assessments based on what we watched. I'm also not saying he doesn't care at all or that he's a piece of crap as a human. I merely said that part of his speech turned me off, as it did quite a few others in the crowd.

DenBronx
08-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Guys they only have 12 minutes (in Sharpes case 23) to tell their life story. Stop reading between the lines, the guy cried when it was time to talk about his family. There wasn't any time to go into detail how he took his kids to the zoo. He wasnt a perfect parent and he admitted that. But he played the game and wanted to be the greatest so his family could have a better life.

The President of the United States probably see's his kids less then Shannon did. :rolleyes:

DenBronx
08-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Man, if he neglected or didnt do any of it for his kids too then why was there a whole roll of them giving him their full support?

They all sure did look proud of their pop.

Northman
08-07-2011, 11:16 AM
All i know is maybe Smilin is right that Shannon was a bad father for being so busy with his career. But, we do know his kids wont be eating possum and squirrel for dinner and sleeping 4 people to a single bedroom. In the end i think his kids understand the sacrifice he made even if they didnt always like it.

DenBronx
08-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Anyone find it odd that he didn't mention Shanahan? He really only mentioned Elway and maybe that's because he was there.

He didnt have to but it would have been respectfull to talk a little about the 97 and 98 Broncos.

Northman
08-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Anyone find it odd that he didn't mention Shanahan? He really only mentioned Elway and maybe that's because he was there.

He didnt have to but it would have been respectfull to talk a little about the 97 and 98 Broncos.

I do remember him saying there were too many players to talk about so maybe he would of thrown Shanahan in there. He did mention Reeves of course but he was the one that drafted him so a bit expected.

DenBronx
08-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I do remember him saying there were too many players to talk about so maybe he would of thrown Shanahan in there. He did mention Reeves of course but he was the one that drafted him so a bit expected.

So then if Tebow ever wins multiple SuperBowls and becomes a HOFer then he will mention McFired and not the guy who took him to the big one? :shocked:

Northman
08-07-2011, 11:30 AM
So then if Tebow ever wins multiple SuperBowls and becomes a HOFer then he will mention McFired and not the guy who took him to the big one? :shocked:

Dont know to be honest. I remembered there being some tension with Shanny before he left for the Ravens. And although he came back maybe there was still some bitterness there? As with Smilin's comments, i wouldnt read too much into the omission of Shanny's name personally. Im pretty sure he appreciates all that Shanahan did on their SB runs.

Nomad
08-07-2011, 11:35 AM
All i know is maybe Smilin is right that Shannon was a bad father for being so busy with his career. But, we do know his kids wont be eating possum and squirrel for dinner and sleeping 4 people to a single bedroom. In the end i think his kids understand the sacrifice he made even if they didnt always like it.

No! Shannon is not a bad father. A bad father is one who neglects and abuses his children. I don't see his intent to be that. There are many careers that take parents away from their kids, ie military, and it doesn't make them bad parents.

The perfect parent soapbox is really irritating and I'm guilty of doing it sometimes then I realize I'm not a perfect parent!

claymore
08-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Dont know to be honest. I remembered there being some tension with Shanny before he left for the Ravens. And although he came back maybe there was still some bitterness there? As with Smilin's comments, i wouldnt read too much into the omission of Shanny's name personally. Im pretty sure he appreciates all that Shanahan did on their SB runs.

He was pissed that Shanahan tried to trade him. He said IIRC that he never trusted him again.

Nomad
08-07-2011, 11:41 AM
He was pissed that Shanahan tried to trade him. He said IIRC that he never trusted him again.

I was watching something about that the other day.

claymore
08-07-2011, 11:43 AM
I was watching something about that the other day.

Its one of those obscure things I read or watched a while ago that stuck with me.

Im glad the trade didnt go thru. I would have been pissed.

DenBronx
08-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Its one of those obscure things I read or watched a while ago that stuck with me.

Im glad the trade didnt go thru. I would have been pissed.

Shannon never should have left the Broncos. No one thinks of him as a Raven. I hated seeing play for another team.

Besides, he shreaded us when we played him.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-07-2011, 04:58 PM
CANTON, Ohio — It was supposed to be a celebration of Shannon Sharpe going into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

It turned out to be a reunion of the Broncos' Super Bowl teams of 1997-98. Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey​. Gary Zimmerman​, Tony Jones and Mark Schlereth​. Terrell Davis​, Alfred Williams​, Ray Crockett​, Steve Atwater​, Keith Burns, Dwayne Carswell, among others.

Former general manager John Beake and Pat Bowlen​.

"I wasn't going to miss it," Bowlen, the Broncos owner since 1984, said at Sharpe's post-Hall of Fame reception. "Loved Shannon. I thought he did a wonderful job. It was Shannon being Shannon. From the heart."

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18632565?source=pkg

Lonestar
08-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Was impressed with the tribute the NFL did on him..

I guess that more folks should have known this info while he was playing, I suspect they would have liked him EVEN more than they did..

Hearing a brief blurb that he grew up in poverty is one thing see it is another..

To most folks poverty is not having a new car, air Jordans and the latest cell phone.

I have more respect for the kid now than I did as a fan of the broncos..

Lonestar
08-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Shannon never should have left the Broncos. No one thinks of him as a Raven. I hated seeing play for another team.

Besides, he shreaded us when we played him.

just another stupid cap move because we had so much dead space. him and Atwater should have never been allowed to leave..

Denver Native (Carol)
08-07-2011, 08:25 PM
VicLombardi Vic Lombardi
Julius Thomas just arrived at CBS4. He's watching the Sharpe HOF speech right now. You see his eyes light up. Check out All-Access at 10:35.
29 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/vicLombardi

Poet
08-07-2011, 09:25 PM
There is not a better tight end in the history of the game.

Congratulations.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-07-2011, 10:10 PM
VicLombardi Vic Lombardi
Gotta tune into All-Access tonight at exactly 10:34. Don't miss the open to the show. Julius Thomas channels his inner Shannon Sharpe.
55 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/vicLombardi