PDA

View Full Version : Jackson on IR Mustard back

broncofaninfla
11-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I just got the text, searching for information now.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-20-2008, 12:48 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/2008/11/20/nate-jackson-to-ir-mustard-re-signed/

Head Coach Mike Shanahan has just announced that Nate Jackson will be placed on injured reserve and that the team has brought back Chad Mustard to fill his place on the roster.

Jackson injured his right hamstring during yesterday’s practice, prompting the move. He had seen action in all 10 games, catching 11 passes for 84 yards and a touchdown.

Mustard rejoins the team after spending the 2008 offseason and training camp in Dove Valley. He was waived before the season but re-signed on October 6, prior to the team’s game against the Jaguars. He played in games against Jacksonville, New England and Miami before he was waived again on November 4.

– Adam Zinser, DenverBroncos.com

Buff
11-20-2008, 12:49 PM
That sucks. Jackson has been solid in limited playing time. Has the Mustard ever caught a ball for us in the regular season?

Lonestar
11-20-2008, 12:57 PM
I can here the Nate haters forming up now..

The guy has been a player this year.. solid when they needed a catch he got it.. not a world beater but has been there while Scheffler has been out..

broncofaninfla
11-20-2008, 01:06 PM
I agree, we just lost some valuable depth at TE

LRtagger
11-20-2008, 01:08 PM
LOL Poor old Chad

Day1BroncoFan
11-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Mustard seems to always be playing ketchup to someone.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lonestar
11-20-2008, 01:09 PM
I agree, we just lost some valuable depth at TE

but we added some heft.. from 235 to 277..

Lonestar
11-20-2008, 01:11 PM
LOL Poor old Chad

hey he has job again for the rest of the season, I'm guessing he has quadrupled his yearly salary in signing bonuses already..

He is getting paid to PLAY a GAME..

LRtagger
11-20-2008, 01:11 PM

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Well its nice to know Shanny wont be cutting the Mustard again this season.

G_Money
11-20-2008, 01:29 PM
How is it possible that our backup pass-catching TE is even more fragile than our starting pass-catching TE?

Can’t we get ONE guy who can line up, run 10 yards down field and make a catch against a LB without spraining his groin or dislocating his patella?

Oh, yeah, right – his name is Hillis. Here’s hoping he’s not as fragile as those guys.

Talent only helps if you can get it onto the field to make plays with it.

~G

frauschieze
11-20-2008, 01:39 PM

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The Mustard jokes never get old.

Dr Velcro
11-20-2008, 01:42 PM
:tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk:

Grover
11-20-2008, 01:47 PM

Pretty much they do. :coffee:

LRtagger
11-20-2008, 01:47 PM

I have already begun writing jokes down in case we play NE in the playoffs...

Mustard vs. Mayo....epic

Retired_Member_001
11-20-2008, 02:28 PM
My body is actually starting to hurt from all the times Mustard has been cut and signed back. It's CRAZY!

Den21vsBal19
11-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I have already begun writing jokes down in case we play NE in the playoffs...

Mustard vs. Mayo....epic
Wasn't that a sketch in Airplane!? :confused::lol:

Talk about deja vu :shocked:

honz
11-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Damn, Nasty Nate has been solid this year. Hopefully Scheff and Graham can stay healthy, because I'm not too excited about the idea of Chad Mustard seeing significant playing time.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Nate Jackson on IR? This story seems so familiar.

dogfish
11-20-2008, 04:30 PM
he lasted longer than i thought he would. . . .

Requiem / The Dagda
11-20-2008, 04:33 PM
he lasted longer than i thought he would. . . .

He gave it 500% this year and got twice as far in comparison to years past. Way to go Nate. I bet he writes a good blog post about his season.

LordTrychon
11-20-2008, 04:41 PM
He gave it 500% this year and got twice as far in comparison to years past. Way to go Nate. I bet he writes a good blog post about his season.

We can only hope, Dream...

We can only hope.

Here's to a good recovery, Nate! :salute:

NameUsedBefore
11-20-2008, 04:55 PM
I bet he sighs a lot.

omac
11-20-2008, 05:02 PM

The guy has been a player this year.. solid when they needed a catch he got it.. not a world beater but has been there while Scheffler has been out..

He was actually making some Scheffleresque catches lately.

I think it's back to the strength and conditioning coach/system. There's gotta be something wrong with it to consistently have these many injuries.

turftoad
11-20-2008, 05:24 PM
How is it possible that our backup pass-catching TE is even more fragile than our starting pass-catching TE?

Can’t we get ONE guy who can line up, run 10 yards down field and make a catch against a LB without spraining his groin or dislocating his patella?

Oh, yeah, right – his name is Hillis. Here’s hoping he’s not as fragile as those guys.

Talent only helps if you can get it onto the field to make plays with it.

~G

We do. His name is Daniel Graham.

honz
11-20-2008, 05:46 PM
We do. His name is Daniel Graham.

Also, for the Daniel "Stonehands" Graham haters out there, he has 4 TD's in his last 5 games. Just saying...

JKcatch724
11-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Also, for the Daniel "Stonehands" Graham haters out there, he has 4 TD's in his last 5 games. Just saying...

Graham's gotta lead the league in horrifically bad drops and then redeeming himself in the endzone.

frauschieze
11-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Graham's gotta lead the league in horrifically bad drops and then redeeming himself in the endzone.

I was just thinking the same thing. :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
11-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Hey, as long as he keeps redeeming himself ;)

JKcatch724
11-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey, as long as he keeps redeeming himself ;)

Very true. I still shudder thinking about his big drop against Jacksonville last year, though.

dogfish
11-20-2008, 06:56 PM
BRONCOS SIGN MUSTARD, PUT JACKSON ON IR
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 20, 2008, 6:51 p.m.

The Denver Broncos have put tight end Nate Jackson on injured reserve and signed free agent tight end Chad Mustard.

Jackson, who suffered a hamstring injury in Wednesday’s practice, had played all 10 games this season and started three. He had 11 catches for 84 yards and a touchdown.

Mustard played three games for the Broncos this season but was waived on November 3 — the tenth time he’s been waived in the NFL. Mustard said he had gotten used to the idea that he might be done with football, and had taken a job making $140 a day as a substitute teacher.

“Football pays a little better,” Mustard said. “One-forty, that’s not bad for a substitute teacher, either. Don’t get me wrong.”

Mustard will make about $36,500 a week with the Broncos.

:lol:

weazel
11-20-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm tellin' ya... Mustard shouldn't ask for season salary, just signing bonuses. He would be raking it in!

rcsodak
11-20-2008, 07:47 PM

Jr, I recall him dropping more than he's caught! And in typical Nate style-----after it hits his hands. :tsk:

I pray he's dropped next year. He's been hurt EVERY year he's been with the team, and has YET to complete a full year! At least Chad can block.

They can use his roster spot for someone that actually contributes to the team.

Maybe the chefs will sign him as a replacement for their aging TE. ;)

BigDaddyBronco
11-20-2008, 07:47 PM

Looks like he is about ready to take your mom out again, eh, Dream.

Lonestar
11-20-2008, 11:30 PM
He was actually making some Scheffleresque catches lately.

I think it's back to the strength and conditioning coach/system. There's gotta be something wrong with it to consistently have these many injuries.

He did a hurdle catch the other night and I have to think that did him no favors and I would suspect it probably started the Hamstring issue..

Lonestar
11-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Jr, I recall him dropping more than he's caught! And in typical Nate style-----after it hits his hands. :tsk:

I pray he's dropped next year. He's been hurt EVERY year he's been with the team, and has YET to complete a full year! At least Chad can block.

Hey I like the guy if for no other reason playing TE at 235 is unique in todays NFL.. If you have not noticed Scheffler is alot like him in not being able to suit up for all the games each year either..

Mikey likes the guy, I like the guy maybe I'm turning into mikey pray it is not so..
As long as mikey like him he is here until we find someone to do the job for the same amount of money he is here..

Get used to it mikey likes the guy..

BTW I think your wrong on dropping more than he has caught there was graphic the other night saying DEN lead the league in dropped passed at the time it was like 25 and since Nate has indeed caught 11 this year I suspect that Marshall, royale stone hands graham are a lot farther in front of him in dropped passes.. If fact just looked it up he was the target 17 times this year and caught 11..

Whereas:
Marshall 63-111
Royale 56-77
schef 20-30
stokely 31-51
graham 15-58
hillis 11-15
D jackson 6-12
Nate 11-17
selvin 3-7

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2008/broncos/

Superchop 7
11-21-2008, 12:37 AM
Fire the training staff.

Lonestar
11-21-2008, 02:55 AM
Fire the training staff.

many have suggested that already.. lets hope mikey agrees or better yet Pat does so..

TXBRONC
11-21-2008, 03:57 PM
That sucks. Jackson has been solid in limited playing time. Has the Mustard ever caught a ball for us in the regular season?

Yes he actually caught a pass for us in the regular season, in fact he's caught a total of 7 passes for 85 yards.

TXBRONC
11-21-2008, 03:59 PM

When? Honestly I don't remember him dropping many passes.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-21-2008, 04:02 PM
When? Honestly I don't remember him dropping many passes.

You don't remember a lot of things.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-22-2008, 04:28 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/chad.mustard.broncos.2.870015.html

Chad Mustard Can't Say No To Broncos

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) ―

Chad Mustard really wants to begin his career as a high school math teacher and he'd like to get some substitute jobs under his belt until he lands that full-time job.

But he can't say no when the NFL keeps calling.

"I'm living the dream. Who would turn that down?" Mustard said.

Mustard canceled three job interviews with school districts in Omaha, Neb., on Thursday and re-signed with the Denver Broncos after tight end Nate Jackson went on injured reserve with a hamstring injury.

This is Mustard's 11th pro contract and his sixth stint with the Broncos.

Coach Mike Shanahan must have him on speed dial by now.

"We've been pretty lucky," Shanahan said. "He's very bright, picks up our system very quickly. He's here in town, so it's worked out fairly well."

Actually, Mustard and his wife, Kalli, returned to Omaha two weeks ago, but it's only a short flight back.

Mustard, a fifth-year tight end from North Dakota, has been waived 10 times in his NFL career, most recently by Denver on Nov. 4.

Instead of $140 a day substitute jobs, he'll earn a weekly paycheck of about $36,500 with the Broncos.

Good money, even if it comes with no job security.

"Football pays a little better," Mustard said. "One-forty, that's not bad for a substitute teacher, either. Don't get me wrong."

It's just that he'd have to sub 43 days to earn what he does in just one day with the Broncos.

The money's one thing, but Mustard said he still hasn't given up on his childhood dream of playing in the NFL.

"No, I think the guys who think that are the guys who don't ever get back," Mustard told The Associated Press. "I'm still interested in playing football. I've still got a few games left in this old body of mine. So, I try to keep that attitude out of my head."

Jackson injured his right hamstring in practice Wednesday. He appeared in 10 games this season, catching 11 passes for 84 yards and one touchdown.

A teammate texted the news to Mustard on Wednesday, so he packed some things just in case, and sure enough, he got the call from the Broncos at 6 p.m. and hopped on a plane two hours later.

"Yeah, it never surprises me," Mustard said. "It's unfortunate circumstances because Nate's a good friend of mine and a teammate. But it's just part of the deal."

Even though he's thinking about his future in the classroom, Mustard spends plenty of his time in the gym.

"It's going to be hard to be in game shape, but I just do the same things," he said. "I lift a little bit of weights and do some running and just keep myself mentally prepared."

And the Broncos keep on calling.