PDA

View Full Version : Cecil Lammey on friday practice (twitter)

titan
08-06-2011, 12:48 PM
From Cecil Lammey on his twitter account this morning (@cecillammey):

practice yesterday got a little heated! we saw a fight break out between OT Herb Taylor and SS Quinton Carter

Carter loves to hit, anything, anyone, he'll take on Bane and win - I don't think Taylor appreciated getting hit so hard, fisticuffs ensued

I love the physicality of TC, the ultimate pressure cooker as players try to win jobs, keep jobs, move up depth chart - Carter impressing

rookie QCarter plays w/natural violence and can fly to the football - 1 problem tho, he bites on every playfake or dbl mve

more Def notes before I go QB... Von Miller was like Mr. Freeze out there, kicking some ice and taking some names

Miller was schooling everyone (again) and froze Herb Taylor in his tracks w/great outside in speed move, lightning fast!

Taylor set up to the outside cuz Von showed speed on the edge, Von then cut inside crisply and OT never got a hand on him

the next rep Von used a sick spin move to get by Taylor, so good even Dwight Freeney says 'DAAAMMNN!'

Von Miller is pretty much a beast, but he does want to jump the snap count, super quick just needs to watch that ball & not jump offsides

Now on to the QBs, starting with Tebow today..goes through his progressions but still a beat late on some passes, needs to hurry!

speed can come with time for Tim, good to see him look at everybody and not just lock on to a guy, or not just make 1 read then dump off

Tebow made some sharp throws today, but I had to throw up in my mouth when he attempted 2 jump passes in a row, led to 2 completions tho

People will need to realize that when Tebow plays it's not always going to be pretty, there's plenty of sandlot to his game

Tebow's play will sometimes makes #broncos fans nervous, but it will make the D jittery as well, I imagine he'll get spied by opponents

I also imagine defenses will force Tebow to throw to the middle of the field where he is more uncomfortable, they'll take edges away

I like what Rich Gannon had to say re: Tebow v Hoge - remember when Gannon was a member of the Patriots they wanted to make him a WR/H-back

Gannon's game had plenty of sandlot in it too, and it took him time to develop, he did learn how to pocket pass - T2 needs to learn that

Brady Quinn continues his strong performance, he's a mix of Tebow/Orton, more athletic than Orton and could be just as good as a passer

again, we'll have to see him do it in a game and we'll have to see consistency from him, but this is a new Brady Quinn we're talking about

Quinn had zip on out routes, good middle passes, & 1 60-yd TD pass to Orange Julius aka JTsuperstar80 - more on that play later

'Brady deserves an opportunity, and we're going to see what we have' is what coach Fox said after practice when commenting on Quinn

Orton continued his consistent play, hitting Brandon Lloyd on a beautiful fade route in the back of the end zone

Orton also had a 50-yd bomb he threw to Eddie Royal, timing was perfect and hit him in stride, Eddie turned on the jets

next is the RBs and Moreno had an up and down day, some cuts were nice, but sometimes he'd cut and trip over his own 2 feet

Moreno can get to the 2nd level, but still not past that, lower weight was supposed to lead to big plays but so far it hasn't happened

as a receiver Moreno has no issues, did slip on an out route, but also leaped into endzone on swing pass from Tebow

as I tweeted during practice Mario Fannin was carted off with what #broncos are calling a knee sprain

Got to see McGahee for the first time in practice and he did not disappoint

confidence is so important for a runner and McGahee runs with authority, knows where to go, and knows how to move to get there

When McGahee gets contact he's not swallowed up, rather he gets to grinding and pushing the pile, can run through multiple arm tackles

McGahee also understands the zone system very well, did a nice spin against the grain to find cutback lane, get to 2nd level

McGahee runs behind his pads and wins collisions, plenty left in the tank and I feel he should be the #broncos lead back, w/Moreno as COP

Foxy will use a RBBC, which is best for both backs, help keep them fresh, Moreno should get 140 carries with 40 catches

Fannin's injury opens the door for Brandon Minor or Jeremiah Johnson...JJ getting a lot of praise from RB coach Eric Studesville

first is Minor, guy just won't quit! Not overly fast (anymore) or quick (anymore) but instinctive and determined, will grind for yards

Jeremiah Johnson continues to impress, drawing cheers from the crowd during practice for big runs

He has a nice wiggle juke to create space and as I've tweeted before he just toys with defenders in the open field, lots of air tackling

JJs not just an outside guy, he can 'get skinny' when running between the tackles, does a nice job of avoiding trash and keeps his feet up

Johnson also isn't trying to do too much on each carry, he'll patiently wait for his blocks to develop, turns on speed when hole/lane there

WR/TEs next... Mark Dell making more plays, keep him around on the PS to develop, kids got some upside, big target, good hands

Dell was the recipient on both Tebow jump passes, Dell can fight for contested passes, good upper body strength

David Anderson looks good out there on quick passes, gets to top speed in a hurry, not a star but sound veteran depth

Matthew Willis doing his best to make the squad, nice deep catch down sideline in practice, looked pass in over the shoulder

Britt Davis is taller than you think and that size comes in handy when coverage is tight, caught nice sideline pass from Quinn w/CB all over

Davis also showing good body control near the sideline, able to drag 2 feet inbounds

Brandon Lloyd is a stud, one handed end zone grab put on a show for the fans - circus catches, normal catches, he does it all

Eddie Royal continues to beat one on one coverage, playing through the jam better too, tell him what to do & he'll run it as designed

Eric Decker made a scooping low catch over the middle, right on top of the grass he pulled it in tight to his body, great play!

TE group a cluster right now, but Orange Julius continues to stand out - big 60yd catch and run from Quinn, split defenders outran safeties

BTW, defense had angles on Orange Julius and he simply outran them, guy is so big, so fast, so athletic think Jermichael Finley/Gates

another big play by Orange Julius? caught TD pass over the shoulder at back of end zone, slowed down enough to get 2 feet down before OOB

talk about body control, guy looked in pass, arms extended, yet had the awareness to slow slightly to ensure feet were inbounds

just remember where you were when you heard the name Orange Julius, JTsuperstar80 is a special player and could be 1 of the best in the game

Daniel Fells and Orange Julius running with 1s - could be on field at same time w/Fells as blocker, Julius as receiver

Dan Gronkowski also getting early playing time, can do a bit of both, work as blocker and okay receiver from position

Dante Rosario wearing no. 49 - made one play of note, one handed grab on drag route from Tebow - had to tip it to himself, still 1 handed it

one has to wonder at this point, with all the TEs in camp, how will Richard Quinn make the team? 'oh Richard!' as #tommyboy would say

Dzone
08-06-2011, 12:50 PM
right on. Was looking forward to reading this. Thanks.
Orange Julius!

Northman
08-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks Titan, nice report and seems like good news all the way around.

Ravage!!!
08-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Nice reports.. thank you!

Great to hear, in every week, that Lloyd is looking like the Lloyd of last season. Thats exciting.

I'm also soooo very excited about this TE. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, because I've fallen for this stuff before (I still shake my head in the name of Madise).

I like what has been said about the rookie safety, but know his biting on the double moves IS going to get him burned for a TD early in the NFL. I don't have a problem with that because sometimes it just needs to embarrass you to really make it click.

I'm with the tweeter though... makes me throw up a bit thinking about the "jump pass." But it also makes me anxious (in a good way) to see a "sand lot" type of QB behind center. I have NOOOOOOO problem with that whatsoever as long as he's accurate with his passes and keeps his eyes downfield. Hell yeah.

From the sounds of it, Von Miller is everything people were expecting. The guy is a stud that will make IMMEDIATE impact on pressuring the QB. Cassel is already shivering.

I'm also pretty pumped to hear that Quinn has looked so good throughout the practices. Not that I want the guy to be our starter, but it doesn't hurt to have a capable player on the team. That could be a REAL asset once Orton is traded :)

DenBronx
08-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I get excited every year from hearing training camp reports. Then regular season hits and players dont impress.

So, with all this talk about Orange Julius I wonder if it will continue or disappoint once the big game starts. Hopefully, he does well once the lights turn on because we could really use someone that had the skills of Shannon Sharpe. From what I have been hearing this kid is crazy athletic. I doubt he will ever be a blocking TE but he could tear it up as a pass catching TE.

Royal seems to be back to his pre McFired days. They just need to let him loose and not confine him like Joshy did.

And is there anyone in the league that has better hands than Llyod? I think not.

Bugs Baloney
08-06-2011, 01:35 PM
tweet from @cecillammey:

okay Tweeps, on the air today from 2-6p LIVE from Blake St Tavern http://www.denverssportsstation.com/

titan
08-06-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm also pretty pumped to hear that Quinn has looked so good throughout the practices. Not that I want the guy to be our starter, but it doesn't hurt to have a capable player on the team. That could be a REAL asset once Orton is traded :)

I think fans are underestimating Brady. I saw him in his first preseason (when the Browns visited the Broncos) and I thought he looked really good for a rookie quarterback that night. He was a #1 draft pick, so he definitely has the tools to play the position. Following that preseason game he had 2 horrible years with a bad Browns team (shaking his confidence) and 1 nightmare season under McD. If the current coaching staff can resurrect the talent that is still there Quinn can be valuable (maybe even a quality starter in this league)

I'm encouraged by the positive reports on the rookie draft picks so far. Anxious to see how they look in the preseason.

DenBronx
08-06-2011, 02:31 PM
I think fans are underestimating Brady. I saw him in his first preseason (when the Browns visited the Broncos) and I thought he looked really good for a rookie quarterback that night. He was a #1 draft pick, so he definitely has the tools to play the position. Following that preseason game he had 2 horrible years with a bad Browns team (shaking his confidence) and 1 nightmare season under McD. If the current coaching staff can resurrect the talent that is still there Quinn can be valuable (maybe even a quality starter in this league)

I'm encouraged by the positive reports on the rookie draft picks so far. Anxious to see how they look in the preseason.

Maybe so but the good QB's play through all the commotion and just get it done. Brady has had his chances and now must wait for someone to get injured to ever get a chance as a starter again. If that happens then I hope he shows the Broncos he's a changed QB and ready for the NFL.

BroncoStud
08-06-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm actually very excited to watch the Preseason games. In all honesty, I'm more excited to watch Brady Quinn's development more than I am Tebow's.

I was one of the few that was happy we traded for Quinn, VERY unhappy we threw Hillis in the trade for no reason other than to get rid of him, but happy we brought in Brady. I think his confidence got destroyed in Cleveland with that joke of a franchise but it appears he has gotten much of it back.

He's still young enough to have a career and maybe he'll get his chance.

Canmore
08-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm actually very excited to watch the Preseason games. In all honesty, I'm more excited to watch Brady Quinn's development more than I am Tebow's.

I was one of the few that was happy we traded for Quinn, VERY unhappy we threw Hillis in the trade for no reason other than to get rid of him, but happy we brought in Brady. I think his confidence got destroyed in Cleveland with that joke of a franchise but it appears he has gotten much of it back.

He's still young enough to have a career and maybe he'll get his chance.

I too am excited to see Brady Quinn. I think he has talent. If he performs well maybe I'll finally be able to stop having to listen to my brother complain about the Quinn for Hillis trade. Probably wishful thinking.

WARHORSE
08-06-2011, 03:13 PM
We can only hope that Quinn looks super good in preseason.

With our WRs, Im hoping that is exactly what happens.

That way we can trade him for some draft picks or a dominant DT.

DenBronx
08-06-2011, 04:15 PM
We can only hope that Quinn looks super good in preseason.

With our WRs, Im hoping that is exactly what happens.

That way we can trade him for some draft picks or a dominant DT.

I'm not sure how long his contract is with us but trading him to say uhhhh, Miami or Washington would make alot of sense or anyone that could use a good #2.

Maybe ship him and a 3rd to NY for Osi? :laugh:

MileHiWildcat
08-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Not sure what Cecil was watching. On Friday, Orton was not that good. Many overthrows they would have been picks.