PDA

View Full Version : An Unlikely Starter

Den21vsBal19
11-20-2008, 06:44 AM
While his higher-profile Arkansas teammates have battled injuries, he's thrived
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_11029814)
Updated: 11/20/2008 01:04:22 AM MST

»DENVER - One tailback from the University of Arkansas heard his name called with the No. 4 overall pick in the NFL Draft last April.
Another Razorback back had to wait until No. 227, midway through the final round of the draft.
Darren McFadden, the Raiders' first-round pick, signed a massive contract with a signing bonus worth tens of millions of dollars, while Denver's Peyton Hillis quietly signed a deal that included a bonus of just under $50,000.
Yet when NFL games kicked off last Sunday, it was Hillis and not McFadden who was at starting tailback for his team. It will likely be the case again this Sunday when McFadden's Raiders face Hillis' Broncos at Invesco Field.
"I always like to keep my expectations high, but I'd be lying - I never expected this," Hillis said.
The irony of the situation was not lost on McFadden and fellow former Arkansas tailback Felix Jones, who was also a first-round pick last April, by Dallas at No. 22 overall.
"It's something that we'll crack jokes on, like, 'Hey, Peyton is starting, and us two guys aren't,' " McFadden said Wednesday.
McFadden and Jones have both battled injuries through their rookie year. McFadden was so bothered by turf toe that he had to sit out three games, and Jones partially tore his hamstring and has missed the last four games. McFadden, who returned for the Raiders' game last week at Miami and had three carries for 13 yards while backing up Justin Fargas, said Wednesday he's feeling better. Jones was back at practice for the Cowboys on Wednesday and could return Sunday.
So while the stars he blocked for in college have been ailing, Hillis has returned to the spotlight much as he was as a high school standout in Arkansas and as a freshman for the Razorbacks when he scored eight touchdowns in 2004.
McFadden and Jones arrived in 2005, and Hillis was moved to full-time fullback. Hillis made his last start at tailback that fall against Vanderbilt.
Hillis did not hide his frustration, and even told reporters at one point that he wanted to move to linebacker.
"Peyton was mad at us for a while for not being able to play tailback, but we knew his position would be as an H-back in the professional ranks," said former Arkansas coach Houston Nutt, who is now at Ole Miss. "When you've been playing tailback since Pee-Wee ball, it's a very big difference, but what gave us the best chance to win was to have Darren, Felix and Peyton at their best positions."
Last fall, the final season at Arkansas for all three players, McFadden and Jones both rushed for more than 1,000 yards with Hillis as their lead blocker.
Hillis, who has been described by both Nutt and Denver coach Mike Shanahan as having the "best hands" on his team, was the Razorbacks' leading receiver.
"It was a pretty rough transition for me," Hillis said of his reduced role in the running game at Arkansas, "but the real players have to step up and do the best they can and play where they get put at."
How Hillis ended up as Denver's starting running back has been well documented, as a groin injury to Selvin Young, then season-ending injuries to Michael Pittman, Andre Hall and Ryan Torain forced coaches to move their fullback to tailback.
He's played well enough in his two opportunities to stay there, for now. Sharing carries with P.J. Pope and Tatum Bell last week against the Falcons, Hillis posted 44 yards on 10 carries along with two rushing touchdowns. He also scored a receiving touchdown against Miami on Nov. 2.
"Obviously he has been very effective the last couple of weeks, and hopefully he can do it again this week," quarterback Jay Cutler said.

So we've got a fullback who's playing tailback and want to play linebacker, a linebacker who thinks he's a fullback along with a centre who thinks he's a fullback :confused:

No wonder the poor guys are confused :laugh:

Seriously though, what a pleasant change to have proper ball players, rather than preening primadonnas *cough <Walker>cough* :salute:

JONtheBRONCO
11-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Hillis - you da man..

MileHighWrath
11-20-2008, 10:45 AM
A star is born or flash in the pan?

turftoad
11-20-2008, 10:54 AM
A star is born or flash in the pan?

Once Young gets back Hillis will return to FB and will not even have a glimmer of playing TB next year.

He will however, get his short yardage carries and catch some passes out of the backfield.

I like him, but not as a TB.

broncofaninfla
11-20-2008, 11:34 AM
I can see Hillis having a similar role that Allstott did with Tampa but more involved with the passing game. We have ourselves a player.

G_Money
11-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Once Young gets back Hillis will return to FB and will not even have a glimmer of playing TB next year.

He will however, get his short yardage carries and catch some passes out of the backfield.

I like him, but not as a TB.

But Young will be injured again the week after. For the rest of this year, Hillis should get his chance to prove he deserves to touch the football several times a game.

RB, H-Back, TE, FB...if he has "maybe the best hands on the team" as Shanahan says, then we can find a way to get the ball in those hands - especially with the bull-in-the-china-shop body and mentality that goes with those hands.

~G

Mike
11-20-2008, 11:57 AM
I like Hillis at HB and hope they keep him in there. To hell with these RBs that can't get off the injury train. Bring the others in for change of pace, but give the big man the load. He can pass protect, catch, run, and just punish defenders.

I would like to see the Broncos leave Larsen at LB and just start running more offensive sets without a FB.

Lonestar
11-20-2008, 12:28 PM
I want a tuff guy at RB someone that can get the short yards but also can bust one for 8-15 yards form time to time..

I could careless about the "take it to the house" crap cause frankly it almost never happens..

I'd rather have a guy that pounds it out and tires out the defense so in the fourth quarter they have nothing left.. 212 pound TB s do not do that nor do they allow us a TOP win..

230+ RB's do.. they not only get you the yards but when they can also catch and run it opens up many more options.. More issues for the DC to worry about.. More defense practice time trying to stop this weapon..

Think about it would he have been the TB in ARK had Mcfadden not came along? He is that good an athlete and those are the guys you want on the field not occasional players..

I say play him till his proves HE CAN NOT do it.. He has earned it..

Lonestar
11-20-2008, 12:30 PM
I like Hillis at HB and hope they keep him in there. To hell with these RBs that can't get off the injury train. Bring the others in for change of pace, but give the big man the load. He can pass protect, catch, run, and just punish defenders.

I would like to see the Broncos leave Larsen at LB and just start running more offensive sets without a FB.

hear hear..

play Lichtensteiger as FB.. If they need a Blocking Back..

omac
11-20-2008, 04:53 PM
I want a tuff guy at RB someone that can get the short yards but also can bust one for 8-15 yards form time to time..

I could careless about the "take it to the house" crap cause frankly it almost never happens..

I'd rather have a guy that pounds it out and tires out the defense so in the fourth quarter they have nothing left.. 212 pound TB s do not do that nor do they allow us a TOP win..

230+ RB's do.. they not only get you the yards but when they can also catch and run it opens up many more options.. More issues for the DC to worry about.. More defense practice time trying to stop this weapon..

Think about it would he have been the TB in ARK had Mcfadden not came along? He is that good an athlete and those are the guys you want on the field not occasional players..

I say play him till his proves HE CAN NOT do it.. He has earned it..

Torain was supposed to be that back; he's 6'1, 225, a downhill runner, and he was doing pretty good. Too bad he seems to be incredibly injury prone.

Though I'm high on Hillis, I think he's most effective with occasional carries, similar to how effective Pittman was with the few needed carries. For this injury ridden season, though, yeah give him the ball a lot.

Day1BroncoFan
11-20-2008, 05:34 PM
We need a back that can hold up. If Hillis is that back then give him the rock.