PDA

View Full Version : ‘Aggressive’ Defense: Why This Year Will Be Different

Denver Native (Carol)
08-04-2011, 10:42 PM
DENVER – If you hang around enough locker rooms and hear enough coach-speak, player platitudes and endless cliches, then eventually you’ll learn to discern fact from fiction and truth from bluster.

You’ll also find yourself with a distinct case of déjà vu.

In the last seven days, Denver’s defenders come back to two words to describe new coordinator Dennis Allen and his defense: aggressive and intense.

full article - http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2011/08/03/aggressive-defense-why-this-year-will-be-different/

Jsteve01
08-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Im excited to see what the cocktail of fox and allen cooks up on the defensive side of the ball.

This should be really fun

BroncoStud
08-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Fox won 2 games last year.

The Broncos players won 4.

We'll have to see... The schedule isn't easy and there hasn't been much talent improvement on the roster on either side of the football yet.

UnderArmour
08-04-2011, 10:54 PM

With Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen as the QBs, that's actually quite an accomplishment.

dogfish
08-04-2011, 11:11 PM
LMMFAO!!

:lol::lol::lol:

you knew it was about time to bust out this time-honored, crusty tradition. . .

fuggin' awesome. . .

:D

i'm pretty sure they have an outline for this article already written, so they can just plug the new DC's name in. . .

:heh:

BroncoStud
08-04-2011, 11:13 PM
With Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen as the QBs, that's actually quite an accomplishment.

Didn't the Dolphins just sign Matt Moore instead of offering our starting QB a multi-year contract? Wasn't Clausen a 2nd rounder and Kiper's overall most NFL-ready QB coming out of Notre Dame? :laugh:

Dzone
08-04-2011, 11:18 PM
You can get a good feeling about this defense. Hearing that Doom is putting mind boggling spin moves on people again is extremely encouraging. Also the fact hat they say pass rushing is one skill that can go from college to pro without much difference bodes well for Miller. We have the GURU of safeties teaching some talented 1st and 2nd year guys. We have stockpiled some Dlinemen who at one time were thought highly enough of to draft in the first round. It is a totally different Defense from last year. Expecting really good things out of this team.

dogfish
08-04-2011, 11:25 PM
As far as what that means and what folks can expect from the Broncos' defense in 2010 and moving forward, Martindale said he hopes to call on his coaching roots in a scheme he and McDaniels put together. Martindale worked with Jets coach Rex Ryan at the University of Cincinnati and with Rob Ryan with the Raiders. The Ryan brothers are considered two of the most aggressive coaches in the league.

"I'm an aggressive guy by nature," Martindale said. "I believe in physical, smart football, and I have an aggressive attitude about things. The players already know that by being with me."

"I feel like I'm ready for this job, I want this job and I'm going to work hard at this job," Martindale said. "We're excited about it, and I hope everybody else is. You're going to continue to see a tough, smart, disciplined group that's very aggressive, and I know we're going to be better."

Read more: "Aggressive" key word to describe new Broncos defensive coordinator Martindale - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14386016#ixzz1U7n6dYOl
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

The Broncos relied heavily on the blitz under Coyer but dialed it back under Bates.

"Bobby will be aggressive," Graves predicted. "He's about attacking and trying to make things happen."

Slowik promises only a "good mix," while adding, "I don't think you can have blitzmania."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/21/broncos-relying-on-a-coordinated-effort/

Those linebackers had a hard-nosed, aggressive attitude on a defense that frequently was content to sit back in a passive zone that utilized three pass rushers. Those days could be over.

"If the opponent has third-and-5, the object is to stop them from getting 5 yards," Coyer said. "To play a soft zone in that situation may stop them from getting a big play, but it's not going to stop them from getting 5 yards. So we have to look at our philosophy and maybe we have to get in their face a little more.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4191/is_20030122/ai_n10013930/

"He's aggressive," McDaniels said. "And we want aggressive, aggressive and physical."

What the Broncos want it to look like is some of the physical 3-4 defenses throughout the league. Nolan said he has studied teams such as Pittsburgh and Baltimore — powerful 3-4 teams who are among the NFL's best each year — as well as more traditional 4-3 teams such as the New York Giants and Philadelphia that have consistently generated pass rushes that make quarterbacks uncomfortable.

Read more: Broncos defensive coordinator Nolan tackling a tough job - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12993796#ixzz1U7ni4NUK
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

topscribe
08-04-2011, 11:25 PM

We'll have to see... The schedule isn't easy and there hasn't been much talent improvement on the roster on either side of the football yet.

You're really into the W-L record of one individual, aren't you?

Ever thought about following tennis?

-----

NorCalBronco7
08-04-2011, 11:26 PM
I dont believe for one second Fox's zone scheme is considered by most to be "aggressive", unless there is some major overhaul in his philosophy. Nolan.......was aggressive. Fox has always been conservative in his play calling. Always. Allen on the other hand was part of a defense that blitzed often with exotic packages, and even though he makes the calls on gameday, Fox controls the defensive gameplan and Allen will mearly execute.

When they both toss around the term "aggressive defense" in interviews, I cant help but think Fox's old ways of only blitzing on 3rd will play out instead. The Jets are an agressive defense to me. Steelers. Saints. Those teams are argressive. I think when Fox and Allen talk about being aggresive, its more of a player mentality than philosophy. We'll see.

topscribe
08-04-2011, 11:29 PM
I dont believe for one second Fox's zone scheme is considered by most to be "aggressive", unless there is some major overhaul in his philosophy. Nolan.......was aggressive. Fox has always been conservative in his play calling. Always. Allen on the other hand was part of a defense that blitzed often with exotic packages, and even though he makes the calls on gameday, Fox controls the defensive gameplan and Allen will mearly execute.

When they both toss around the term "aggressive defense" in interviews, I cant help but think Fox's old ways of only blitzing on 3rd will play out instead. The Jets are an agressive defense to me. Steelers. Saints. Those teams are argressive. I think when Fox and Allen talk about being aggresive, its more of a player mentality than philosophy. We'll see.

I kind of go along with what Ayers said in a recent interview. He was asked what
kind of defense he preferred, and he responded, "One that doesn't allow the
other team to score points."

-----

NorCalBronco7
08-04-2011, 11:35 PM
I kind of go along with what Ayers said in a recent interview. He was asked what
kind of defense he preferred, and he responded, "One that doesn't allow the
other team to score points."

-----

Exactly. :lol:

Doesnt matter what kind of defense it is, just stop the other team.

Agent of Orange
08-04-2011, 11:35 PM

Time will tell on this. A lot is decided by how a defense performs on third downs. If Miller and Doom are both game changers, especially on 3rd downs, things can take an abrupt turn. Miller and Doom could even make the DBs better players. If you can get a pass rush and Moore turns out to be a playmaker, then things can change.

BTW, if Doom, Miller, Bailey and/or Moore are playmakers, we'd have a playmaker at every level.

Dzone
08-04-2011, 11:38 PM
I dont believe this D is the same ol same ol...No freakin way...too many new guys on this D...Von Miller and Dumervil could potentially be a nightmare for qbs...Look at the impact of clay matthews..Miller should be at least as good.

dogfish
08-04-2011, 11:40 PM
I dont believe this D is the same ol same ol...No freakin way...too many new guys on this D...Von Miller and Dumervil could potentially be a nightmare for qbs...Look at the impact of clay matthews..Miller should be at least as good.

where's our BJ raji?

we WILL be better on third downs, there's no question of that-- you still gotta get there, though. . . doom and von aren't worth much against third-and-short. . .

NorCalBronco7
08-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Time will tell on this. A lot is decided by how a defense performs on third downs. If Miller and Doom are both game changers, especially on 3rd downs, things can take an abrupt turn. Miller and Doom could even make the DBs better players. If you can get a pass rush and Moore turns out to be a playmaker, then things can change.

Im much more worried about 1st and 2nd down with our divsion and schedule.

Agent of Orange
08-04-2011, 11:42 PM

Yeah, with the 2nd pick in the draft, they took Von Miller whose biggest strength is getting after the QB. To utilize that skill from a 4-3 LB, you have to be sending LBs from time to time.

Agent of Orange
08-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Im much more worried about 1st and 2nd down with our divsion and schedule.

Im not saying the defense will be great or that they've solved the run defense but getting off the field on 3rd downs should reduce their rushing yards because they dont get another set of downs as often.

Dzone
08-04-2011, 11:49 PM
I dont see them stiffling Von Millers talent. If they are smart they will turn him loose and let him do what comes natural for him.

NorCalBronco7
08-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Im not saying the defense will be great or that they've solved the run defense but getting off the field on 3rd downs should reduce their rushing yards because they dont get another set of downs as often.

Thats if the other teams get to 3rd down...

Hopefully the Broncos can get decent play from their DTs, because if not, Doom and Miller wont matter.

topscribe
08-04-2011, 11:51 PM
where's our BJ raji?

we WILL be better on third downs, there's no question of that-- you still gotta get there, though. . . doom and von aren't worth much against third-and-short. . .

I thought that is why they imported Warren and Bunkley . . .

-----

sneakers
08-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Hmmmmmm I am skeptical.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Andrew did a really good job with that piece.....and I don't mean "piece" :lol:

Bugs Baloney
08-05-2011, 02:40 AM
hoping to see a stout front this season.

getting really excited to see some pressure! :defense:

bcbronc
08-05-2011, 02:46 AM
lol, dog, great post. It's going to be different this year though! :lol:

In all honesty, I don't see how it can't be. Doom back instantly upgrades our pass rush, which was anemic. We were also a 34 without a NT...impossible to be good in that situation. So far so good as far as rookie reviews go, which is huge. Good veteran leadership to mentor what hopefully emerges as the core of a REAL defense.

the wild card for how fast our defense can turn around (well, one of many) is Ayers. If he can develop into a LDE that can't be blocked 1on1 by a TE or RB we could have a scary pass rush. As a DL Ayers is super athletic and he's big enough to play inside on passing downs. If he can emerge anywhere near what some pundits predicted we'll have a lot of versatility in our pass rush. I'm hoping for some creativity out of Allen.

claymore
08-05-2011, 03:51 AM
I dont care what anyone says. Im excited about this draft class, front office, and this year. I think we will be a MUCH better team than we were the last 2 years.

TXBRONC
08-05-2011, 07:54 AM

Ok but did we keep all the same personnel?

SOCALORADO.
08-05-2011, 08:16 AM
I dont care what anyone says. Im excited about this draft class, front office, and this year. I think we will be a MUCH better team than we were the last 2 years.

Well, its official then. DEN is in trouble.

Jsteve01
08-05-2011, 08:32 AM
I dont see them stiffling Von Millers talent. If they are smart they will turn him loose and let him do what comes natural for him.

i agree with this completely. I think we're going to see Allen using creative blitz schemes ala Greg Williams and I really think we'll see Von in sort of a Joker role where they move him all over the formation....forcing opposing offenses to look for him and obtw try to block doom while you're at it.

If we can be as effective stopping the run as we were last year early on it's going to allow Allen to be extremely aggressive. I think the new tackles and a healthy Ayers and Harvey allow them to do that.

Jsteve01
08-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Clay's posting at 1 in the morning again...watch out

Jsteve01
08-05-2011, 08:36 AM

that's the whole point and somehow people are forgetting that we were without our best defensive lineman all year...getting Doom back has to account for a few wins. Having a staff that really believes in old school smash mouth football accounts for something too.

Northman
08-05-2011, 09:44 AM
LMMFAO!!

:lol::lol::lol:

you knew it was about time to bust out this time-honored, crusty tradition. . .

fuggin' awesome. . .

:D

i'm pretty sure they have an outline for this article already written, so they can just plug the new DC's name in. . .

:heh:

My thoughts exactly. As i said last year, and the year before, and the year before that, put up or shut up. I dont care what they say, until they prove it on the field im not buying anything they say publically.

Cugel
08-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I thought that is why they imported Warren and Bunkley . . .

-----

True, TOP, but Warren and Bunkley together don't equal one B.J. Raji. That was his point.

Bunkley was a busted pick because a 6th pick of the draft was expected to be able to rush the passer and he can't. He was mediocre against the run and that's what we're getting. A mediocre player.

I am too tired of seeing the same old thing every year.

Step 1: Fail to draft an elite DT in the draft.
Step 2: Try to sign a GOOD FA DT.
Step 3: Under-bid and watch all the good DTs go to other teams.
Step 4: Bring in some aging veteran who "hopes to resurrect his career after recovering from a serious injury." Place all your hopes on that guy.
Step 5: Wind up with Gerrard Warren, DeWayne Robertson, Sam Adams, Jamal Williams. Watch the DL suck once again.
Step 6: Do it all over again next year. :coffee:

Ty Warren is this year's Gerrard Warren. IF he's completely recovered from injury he could be good and make an impact. If not, he will be another in a long series of mediocre and overpaid FA DTs Denver has brought in over the years.

And we'll be having this same discussion next off-season. :coffee:

Cugel
08-05-2011, 10:24 AM
I should point out that the Broncos defense has been totally outplayed so far by the Broncos offense in training camp. Normally NFL offenses take some time to get up to speed with timing issues, so defense usually dominates in the early going in camp.

But, the Broncos defense has been scored on early and often in camp so far.

Either the offense is particularly good this year -- which is hard to credit given last year's performance. OR the defense is worse than expected so far, which isn't yet fatal, since they have plenty of training camp and the pre-season to go. But it is a concern.

Bunkley and Warren will be worked into the defense over the next week, but the defenders they have got are not doing the job so far.

BroncoStud
08-05-2011, 10:28 AM

For the most part - yes.

Jsteve01
08-05-2011, 11:01 AM
True, TOP, but Warren and Bunkley together don't equal one B.J. Raji. That was his point.

Bunkley was a busted pick because a 6th pick of the draft was expected to be able to rush the passer and he can't. He was mediocre against the run and that's what we're getting. A mediocre player.

I am too tired of seeing the same old thing every year.

Step 1: Fail to draft an elite DT in the draft.
Step 2: Try to sign a GOOD FA DT.
Step 3: Under-bid and watch all the good DTs go to other teams.
Step 4: Bring in some aging veteran who "hopes to resurrect his career after recovering from a serious injury." Place all your hopes on that guy.
Step 5: Wind up with Gerrard Warren, DeWayne Robertson, Sam Adams, Jamal Williams. Watch the DL suck once again.
Step 6: Do it all over again next year. :coffee:

Ty Warren is this year's Gerrard Warren. IF he's completely recovered from injury he could be good and make an impact. If not, he will be another in a long series of mediocre and overpaid FA DTs Denver has brought in over the years.

And we'll be having this same discussion next off-season. :coffee:

This whole idea is based on the premise that Fox and Allen lean heavily on the DT position in their defenses. History has shown that both of them have done well with average tackles in the past which is essentially what we have now. The big wild cards to me will be the health of Warren and Bunkley and whether Vickerson and Thomas finally flourish in a true 1 gap system.

I'm on record as stating that Thomas breaks out this year. His strength in college was never two gap and he's never been able to run 1 gap during his time in the league.

I think the combination of system and live bodies help to overcome the lack of pro bowl level talent on this line. Long term the real solution is drafting those types of players, and based on this draft I feel it's a great possibility.

topscribe
08-05-2011, 11:24 AM
For the most part - yes.

Really? Let's see: Rahim Moore, Von Miller, Joe Mays/Nate Irving, Ty Warren,
Brodrick Bunkley, Jeremy Jarmon, Quinton Carter, Mike Mohamed, Elvis Dumervil
(out all last year). Does that sound like the same personnel "for the most part"?

Of course, carry-overs from last year include Champ Bailey, D.J. Williams (back
at Will where he belongs), Robert Ayers, Kevin Vickerson (who the FO obviously
believes will be very good), and Brian Dawkins.

Of course, changes at the coaching helm include John Fox and Dennis Allen.

Anyone who thinks this will be the same defense as last year, as you said in
another thread, apparently doesn't know much about football . . .

-----

Jsteve01
08-05-2011, 11:35 AM
new players at every level other than corner? yup I'd say it's a new roster. I still wish we could have signed Harris and packaged him with a pick for Samuel, but I'm over that

NightTerror218
08-05-2011, 12:59 PM
I should point out that the Broncos defense has been totally outplayed so far by the Broncos offense in training camp. Normally NFL offenses take some time to get up to speed with timing issues, so defense usually dominates in the early going in camp.

But, the Broncos defense has been scored on early and often in camp so far.

Either the offense is particularly good this year -- which is hard to credit given last year's performance. OR the defense is worse than expected so far, which isn't yet fatal, since they have plenty of training camp and the pre-season to go. But it is a concern.

Bunkley and Warren will be worked into the defense over the next week, but the defenders they have got are not doing the job so far.

Dont forget that several players just got to camp today and where not able to play, including 2 DL starters, Warren and Bunkley. But TC gives advantage to offenses. There have also been a lot of interceptions too and I noticed that players are not going all out, they are wrapping up and then play is stopped.

I personally cant wait to see them in action against raiders week 1

weazel
08-05-2011, 01:00 PM
denver – if you hang around enough locker rooms and hear enough coach-speak, player platitudes and endless cliches, then eventually you’ll learn to discern fact from fiction and truth from bluster.

You’ll also find yourself with a distinct case of déjà vu.

In the last seven days, denver’s defenders come back to two words to describe new coordinator dennis allen and his defense: Aggressive and intense.

lmao