PDA

View Full Version : Rookie TE Julius Thomas shining for Broncos at training camp

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2011, 09:30 PM
The Broncos' football decision-makers have continually said their goal this offseason was to get younger and more athletic.

Some of that was on display Wednesday as rookie tight end Julius Thomas finished several plays in the endzone, including catching a scoring pass from each of the team's top three quarterbacks in various drills. His work highlighted the day.

Rookie running back Mario Fannin, who at 228 pounds was one of the fastest running backs available in this year's draft, flashed his ability to finish plays if he gets a little room to work during 9-on-7 run-game drills.

much more in article in regards to today's camp
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18611444

BeefStew25
08-03-2011, 09:31 PM
I hope this guy can beat out Dick Quinn.

:fart:

Jsteve01
08-03-2011, 09:36 PM
he has been lights out and the scary thing is that he's played one year of football.

DenBronx
08-04-2011, 02:45 AM

I think Virgil will get his walking papers before anyone else but Quinn will be on the hotseat with the recent signings at TE. No way Fox lets Rosario walk.

he has been lights out and the scary thing is that he's played one year of football.

From what I have been reading, Thomas has looked the most impressive out of anyone in camp. In the words of Bart Scott "CANT WAIT" for preseason to get here so we can see this kid in live action.

Canmore
08-04-2011, 02:46 AM
I think Virgil will get his walking papers before anyone else but Quinn will be on the hotseat with the recent signings at TE. No way Fox lets Rosario walk.

From what I have been reading, Thomas has looked the most impressive out of anyone in camp. In the words of Bart Scott "CANT WAIT" for preseason to get here so we can see this kid in live action.

I've seen nothing but good things reported. Can he block?

DenBronx
08-04-2011, 02:49 AM
I've seen nothing but good things reported. Can he block?

I doubt it. He was a basketball player before and is very raw still but is an athlete. He goes up to the highest point and out REBOUNDS everyone to the ball. He could very well be dangerous in the redzone.

Canmore
08-04-2011, 02:53 AM
I doubt it. He was a basketball player before and is very raw still but is an athlete. He goes up to the highest point and out REBOUNDS everyone to the ball. He could very well be dangerous in the redzone.

Sounds like no one can cover him. Too big, too athletic, too fast. If he learns to block adequately we may have a real keeper. :welcome:

Clipworthy
08-04-2011, 03:06 AM
Virgil has a lot of potential too, don't be so quick to write him off

DenBronx
08-04-2011, 03:20 AM

I really haven't seen anything about him on anyones training camp updates.

I think as of right now we have 5 or 6 TE's and 11 or so WR's. Virgil I think could possibly land on the practice squad unless he blows up in preseason. By the looks of it, Thomas has more potential to blow up than anyone.

Who knows, maybe Gronkowski wont make it.

I do miss #84 (Shannon Sharpe) though. He was a special TE, could have easily made a WR in todays league. A good pass catching TE takes so much pressure off the WR's and really allows them to open it up and is a great security blanket for a pocket passer.

TXBRONC
08-04-2011, 07:46 AM

That probably wont be to hard.

TXBRONC
08-04-2011, 07:48 AM

Fox said after the draft that in line blocking is the number one issue for most tight ends coming into the League.

silkamilkamonico
08-04-2011, 08:10 AM

Virgils's been terrible and hasn't shown an ounce of improvement over camp. He is done for.

BroncoWave
08-04-2011, 08:10 AM
That probably wont be to hard.

So you're saying it won't be too hard to beat the Dick?

Dean
08-04-2011, 02:35 PM
So you're saying it won't be too hard to beat the Dick?

If its not hard doesn't that defeat the purpose?:D

Clipworthy
08-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Virgils's been terrible and hasn't shown an ounce of improvement over camp. He is done for.

we're being spoiled by Julius and his instant greatness, Virgil played well in college, give him some time

Superchop 7
08-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Stiff competition may leave Dick in a dark hole, the situation could be long and hard but hopefully the outcome will be satisfying.

NightTerror218
08-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Stiff competition may leave Dick in a dark hole, the realities could be long and hard but hopefully the outcome will be satisfying.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

dogfish
08-04-2011, 07:44 PM
so, would you guys say he's as promising as wesley duke?

Canmore
08-04-2011, 07:47 PM
so, would you guys say he's as promising as wesley duke?

Harsh.

dogfish
08-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Harsh.

lol. . . nah, i'm just ****in' around. . . :laugh:

thomas looks like an interesting prospect, i hope he works out. . . i don't get excited over camp hype anymore, though-- every year some guy is the hero of camp, and never heard from past october. . . i'll get excited when thomas makes plays on the field. . .

Canmore
08-04-2011, 09:02 PM

thomas looks like an interesting prospect, i hope he works out. . . i don't get excited over camp hype anymore, though-- every year some guy is the hero of camp, and never heard from past october. . . i'll get excited when thomas makes plays on the field. . .

Me too! At least they are not hyping him to be the next Gates. I'd love it if it turned out that way.

Jsteve01
08-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Me too! At least they are not hyping him to be the next Gates. I'd love it if it turned out that way.

Oh I've heard the gates talk, but it's all good. I think he has that type of potential

pnbronco
08-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Thomas does seem to be a play maker. He was ok during the drills, but when it got to 11/11 he kept getting open and catching some tough balls. He also seems really level headed, heard him talking to some kids tonight and he was telling them to keep working hard to follow their dreams..... Plus he is a big kid.

underrated29
08-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Now I don't know if the rumor is true that the tes. Switched numbers and orange julius was #89the at a time or not. I also know it was only one practice I was at but so far I am right on track with the guys that aren't going to make the team even one of cecils. Boys checks jackson who I said was terrible. Well when I was at practice number 89two was tearing it up and gronkowski sucked. I bet dollars to donuts that circular makes the squad over gronk ......could be aid it wasis onluwrong as I s

As I said it was only one practice but still

DenBronx
08-05-2011, 03:19 AM
Like the nickname Orange Julius.

Saw it on Lammeys Twitter.

claymore
08-05-2011, 03:30 AM

Todd Devoe. Loved that kid. I couldnt believe he didnt make the team.

TXBRONC
08-05-2011, 09:50 AM

I doubt he's done Silk. Giving up on a 6th round pick after a week of camp is a bit extreme imo.