PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Interested in Osi.......

WARHORSE
08-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Well, I definitely dont want to give up a pick, but perhaps we can spend some of our cap money on him. If healthy, our pass rush would be.....well KILLER.....on paper.

I know we wont give a first...but I wouldnt give a second either. A third that upon meeting certain conditions would change to a second.....yes.

Talk about a pass rush.........omy.:eek:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/02/five-teams-show-interest-in-osi-but-not-in-trading-first-round-pick/

Northman
08-02-2011, 12:21 PM
I woudnt mind bringing him in.

Flatinum
08-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Apparently the Broncos are one of the five teams in the running.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8212d7fa/article/report-five-teams-in-running-for-giants-de-umenyiora?module=HP11_headline_stack

Flatinum
08-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Sorry didn't open the initial attachment but this one is from NFL.com.

GEM
08-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I do not want to spend no #1 on ANOTHER DE. FFS....we need DT's, no more DE's. Too high of a price for a position we are already loaded up on. You get him to take Ayers place, and you have essentially spent 2 1's on him. The one we spent on Ayers and the one to the Giants.

NightTerror218
08-02-2011, 12:30 PM
I do not want to spend no #1 on ANOTHER DE. FFS....we need DT's, no more DE's. Too high of a price for a position we are already loaded up on.

we have like 7 or 8 DT on the roster right now.

GEM
08-02-2011, 12:31 PM
we have like 7 or 8 DT on the roster right now.

Not good ones. Do we have a single one that we all would feel completely comfortable starting the season with? And if so....can we all stop bitching about Defensive Line.

NorCalBronco7
08-02-2011, 12:36 PM
I do not want to spend no #1 on ANOTHER DE. FFS....we need DT's, no more DE's. Too high of a price for a position we are already loaded up on. You get him to take Ayers place, and you have essentially spent 2 1's on him. The one we spent on Ayers and the one to the Giants.

Yeah I completely agree. Even if the Broncos give up a 2nd I think we should pass. If Osi was a FA then Id like to pick him up, but spending a high pick on another DE right now is more of a luxury than anything else.

HammeredOut
08-02-2011, 12:44 PM
The Broncos can't give up more then a pair of 3rds to 7th rounders. Anything more, is to much of reach for a rebuilding team. Even a pair of 3rd rounders is steep.

Maybe a pair of 3rd rounders, and a fill in player. Broncos can't afford much more.

NightTerror218
08-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Not good ones. Do we have a single one that we all would feel completely comfortable starting the season with? And if so....can we all stop bitching about Defensive Line.

well with ayers, doomer, bunkley and say vickerson/jarmon/mcbean...i say it would be a good start to see what we have. EFX likes something in Vickerson to sign him so quick before the lockout.

NightTerror218
08-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Yeah I completely agree. Even if the Broncos give up a 2nd I think we should pass. If Osi was a FA then Id like to pick him up, but spending a high pick on another DE right now is more of a luxury than anything else.

I was looking at the roster, we are have more depth on DT then DE

DT: Vickerson, McBean, Bunkley, Brown, Leonard, Unrein, and Whitlock (edit and Thomas)
also Garland on reserve

DE: Doomer, Ayers, Beal, Harvey, Veikune, and Hunter (Haggen was moved back to LB)

cuzz4169
08-02-2011, 12:56 PM
If Denver could make a move for Osi & Asante man that would make our defense legit.

NorCalBronco7
08-02-2011, 12:56 PM

DT: Vickerson, McBean, Bunkley, Brown, Leonard, Unrein, and Whitlock
also Garland on reserve

DE: Doomer, Ayers, Beal, Harvey, Veikune, and Hunter (Haggen was moved back to LB)

I wouldnt exactly call warm bodies depth.

NightTerror218
08-02-2011, 12:59 PM
I wouldnt exactly call warm bodies depth.

Well some of them are 1st and 2nd year players. Some of them are 4 yr warm bodies. But the fact that we do have so many for people stating we only had 2 for such a long time.

But seeing what we have behind Ayers, Osi would be a good addition possible to challenge Ayers for starting position. And if Ayers is a bust then we have Osi

red98
08-02-2011, 01:00 PM

I'd happily trade them Ayers for Osi straight up. I'm not so sure we have enough good DEs and Osi is very good.

But you are right we can't afford to trade anyone a #1 (or even a #2) for an 8 yr veteran DE.

cuzz4169
08-02-2011, 01:06 PM
I'd happily trade them Ayers for Osi straight up. I'm not so sure we have enough good DEs and Osi is very good.

But you are right we can't afford to trade anyone a #1 (or even a #2) for an 8 yr veteran DE.

No way I would give them a #1 a #3 that could be a #2 based on performance. I don't see a #2 DE draft pick next year as good as Osi. Maybe down the line, but Osi will be good for us right now for about 3-4 yrs.

I like Beal not a flashy player but he's a football player...reminds me of zack thomas I know 2 different positions but story is the same. not fast enough not strong enough, but a football player is a football player.

SOCALORADO.
08-02-2011, 01:20 PM

DT: Vickerson, McBean, Bunkley, Brown, Leonard, Unrein, and Whitlock (edit and Thomas)
also Garland on reserve

That DT line up is PATHETIC! DEN has an average Bunkley and Vickerson, and we dont know about Thomas. The rest are pure crappola.

No, theres no depth on this team at DT.
DE isnt much better, but to give up a high pick for a guy who missed an entire season with injuries, and has a huge injury history is quite a leap of faith for a team that isnt going to the playoffs next year.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-02-2011, 01:36 PM

I'd give them Ayers and a second for Osi... like yesterday. Get Ayers' non producing ass out of Denver and bring in someone who can RUSH THE QB!

SOCALORADO.
08-02-2011, 01:40 PM
I'd give them Ayers and a second for Osi... like yesterday. Get Ayers' non producing ass out of Denver and bring in someone who can RUSH THE QB!

No. Thats too high. DEN needs its 2nd round pick.
Theres just no telling how much of a mess this team will be in at years end, and not having that 2nd is massive to a team this bad.
A 3rd and no higher. And yes, they can have Ayers.

red98
08-02-2011, 01:48 PM

Ayers and a 3rd. But the Giants wouldn't take him. They're too good at finding DL talent in the draft.

G_Money
08-02-2011, 02:01 PM
I'd love to have Osi. I'm an Ayers hater, so I have zero faith in that kid to be more than Jarvis Moss, aka a waste of space.

Somebody wanna tell me why we would pay Osi a significantly huge amount of money when we wouldn't pay any DTs that amount just a few days ago?

Osi + a first or early-2nd rounder + huge contract is not better than Mebane for straight cash, especially since Mebane's younger and plays the position at which we have zero above-average players, let alone stars, while Osi is normally an end, a position at which we already have a $14 million dollar a year player.

It would be an interesting use of funds.

~G

HORSEPOWER 56
08-02-2011, 02:17 PM
I'd love to have Osi. I'm an Ayers hater, so I have zero faith in that kid to be more than Jarvis Moss, aka a waste of space.

Somebody wanna tell me why we would pay Osi a significantly huge amount of money when we wouldn't pay any DTs that amount just a few days ago?

Osi + a first or early-2nd rounder + huge contract is not better than Mebane for straight cash, especially since Mebane's younger and plays the position at which we have zero above-average players, let alone stars, while Osi is normally an end, a position at which we already have a $14 million dollar a year player.

It would be an interesting use of funds.

~G

Because maybe our new look defense is designed around 4 DEs on the LOS and another playing SAM LB?

:whoknows:

Perhaps we're trying to build a defensive line with so much speed they can just shoot the gaps and stop the RBs before they can get back to the LOS making gap clogging DTs irrelevant?

:confused:

Seriously though, Fox seems more willing to pay for pass rushers (loves him some DEs) than he is for DTs. There's a reason he brought in Harvey and kicked the tires on Jamaal Anderson. If there's even a chance he can find another Peppers, he will be more likely to petition Xanders and Elway into signing him, I think.

TXBRONC
08-02-2011, 02:19 PM

I would be surprised if Denver was willing to spend a number one pick on him.

G_Money
08-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Osi + Doom + Von + assorted safety blitzes and the like with a good secondary would be a lot of fun to watch.

Assuming we could ever make anyone have to pass on us. Two year plan? http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/images/smilies/SRsmilies/whoknows.gif Fix pass defense this year, worry about the middle of the defense next year?

I don't expect Osi to join the Broncos...but stranger things have happened, I guess. Can I see our defensive scheme in game action yet, please?

~G

cuzz4169
08-02-2011, 02:26 PM
teams don't like to pay a lot of $ to DTs. Unless your an absolute difference maker and mebane is not that. If you think he is you need to reevaluate. Mebane is good but not worth over paying for a Guy who doesn't change the game.

G_Money
08-02-2011, 02:32 PM
teams don't like to pay a lot of $ to DTs. Unless your an absolute difference maker and mebane is not that. If you think he is you need to reevaluate. Mebane is good but not worth over paying for a Guy who doesn't change the game.

As soon as you explain to me how this is an overpay: (http://seattle.sbnation.com/seattle-seahawks/2011/7/30/2304852/brandon-mebane-contract-seattle-seahawks-free-agency)

The Seattle Seahawks re-signed Brandon Mebane to a 5-year, $25 million contract on Friday. The number figures were first reported by ESPN's John Clayton (via Tony Softli), and Clayton later stipulated that it includes $5 million in guarantees.

Then we can discuss why we'd pay Osi twice that when we already have two first-round pass rushers and a DPOY we're paying an exorbitant amount to (ie, THREE TIMES what Mebane is making) to fill that pass-rushing role. :beer:

Have I mentioned we signed Chris Kuper for twice what Mebane is making?

~G

NightTerror218
08-02-2011, 02:59 PM
That DT line up is PATHETIC! DEN has an average Bunkley and Vickerson, and we dont know about Thomas. The rest are pure crappola.

No, theres no depth on this team at DT.
DE isnt much better, but to give up a high pick for a guy who missed an entire season with injuries, and has a huge injury history is quite a leap of faith for a team that isnt going to the playoffs next year.

Figure most of the signed players have been to 1 yr contracts. They are place holders or just added depth till we draft some guys. Fox wants to get talent through draft and not draft need.

SOCALORADO.
08-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Figure most of the signed players have been to 1 yr contracts. They are place holders or just added depth till we draft some guys. Fox wants to get talent through draft and not draft need.

Dude, there was more 4-3 DT talent in last years draft than in the last 5 drafts combined! WTF!?!?!

cuzz4169
08-02-2011, 03:14 PM
As soon as you explain to me how this is an overpay: (http://seattle.sbnation.com/seattle-seahawks/2011/7/30/2304852/brandon-mebane-contract-seattle-seahawks-free-agency)

Then we can discuss why we'd pay Osi twice that when we already have two first-round pass rushers and a DPOY we're paying an exorbitant amount to (ie, THREE TIMES what Mebane is making) to fill that pass-rushing role. :beer:

Have I mentioned we signed Chris Kuper for twice what Mebane is making?

~G

Ok so what has Mebane done? Any pro bowls any All pro teams? will he ever? I doubt it. He's a hole plug not a game changer. Sorry I don't see it in him. Everyone on this board jumped on him bc he was best DT AVAILABLE not the best DT, but best AVAILABLE. the money he got paid is money of a good DT which is right around his price range...I'm so glade we didn't over pay for him. Osi is a game changer plays the run gets pressure on the QB He's a very good DE and those guys get paid more than very good DT's. By the way Ayers in not a pass rusher if your counting him.

We need DT's who take on blocks...not guys who get payed a lot of money to get 40 tackles and 4 sacks. Just take on blocks and let LBs make the plays.

dogfish
08-02-2011, 03:51 PM

also Garland on reserve

this word, depth-- i do not think it means what you think it means!

:laugh:

that's not depth-- that's a big pile of hot garbage. . . depth means having players further down on the chart that can give you good snaps. . . we don't even have quality starters, let alone any depth. . .

also, trading any kind of decent pick for osi is straight retarded-- dude is a horrible malcontent and drama queen. . . and he sucks against the run. . .

G_Money
08-02-2011, 03:57 PM
We need DT's who take on blocks...not guys who get payed a lot of money to get 40 tackles and 4 sacks. Just take on blocks and let LBs make the plays.
Uh...which Mebane happily does. He's not looking for glory OR a giant paycheck. He's neither a primadonna nor a malcontent. He's a team guy at a tough-to-fill spot who has done exactly what is expected of him, and when he's not in the game the team suffers mightily from his absence.

"Just get a guy to take on blocks" is great...if they can do it. We haven't found one in a decade who's capable of that for more than a season.

And there's a guy out there at a reasonable price who was more than willing to do that, and we passed him over.

If you want to bargain shop at DT, that can be valid - IF you can spot bargains that can actually contribute. We haven't done that at DT in a long time. Maybe Fox is different, and I should let him go through the bin of has-beens, over-rateds and never-weres to find some gold on the cheap.

But I don't get how you say on the one hand "I want a hole plugger who will let the LBs make plays and Pro Bowls" and on the other hand deride Mebane for doing EXACTLY that for his Pro Bowl glorified LBs and thus...NOT making Pro Bowls and All Pro teams. :huh:

~G

NightTerror218
08-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Dude, there was more 4-3 DT talent in last years draft than in the last 5 drafts combined! WTF!?!?!

Yah I know....but EFX figured they were starting from scratch with the defense and drafted best player on the board period. IF a D-Line guy is best on the board next year he will prob get grabbed by us. Lets see how many of those guys actually turn out. From what I heard DL is the biggest "chance" draft position. A lot are drafter and handful turn out.

cuzz4169
08-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Uh...which Mebane happily does. He's not looking for glory OR a giant paycheck. He's neither a primadonna nor a malcontent. He's a team guy at a tough-to-fill spot who has done exactly what is expected of him, and when he's not in the game the team suffers mightily from his absence.

"Just get a guy to take on blocks" is great...if they can do it. We haven't found one in a decade who's capable of that for more than a season.

And there's a guy out there at a reasonable price who was more than willing to do that, and we passed him over.

If you want to bargain shop at DT, that can be valid - IF you can spot bargains that can actually contribute. We haven't done that at DT in a long time. Maybe Fox is different, and I should let him go through the bin of has-beens, over-rateds and never-weres to find some gold on the cheap.

But I don't get how you say on the one hand "I want a hole plugger who will let the LBs make plays and Pro Bowls" and on the other hand deride Mebane for doing EXACTLY that for his Pro Bowl glorified LBs and thus...NOT making Pro Bowls and All Pro teams. :huh:

~G

Never said he wasn't a team guy..reason why he resigned with Seattle. Mebane is a solid starter no more no less. To pay him what he got paid by seattle is good for mebane. I wouldn't have given him that and I'm glade Denver didn't. A lot of you will be surprised with Bunkley. He could and I think he will have a better season than Mebane who got paid 25m. If he plays like I think he will our DT's are fine. Most fans just want a big name (Ex: Okoye who sucks). I just want someone who will do what they are suppose to in the scheme. Obviously EFX believe this also. By the way who is Seattle's All Pro-Pro Bowl Linebackers?

Osi would be a bonus I would 100% pay him what Mebane is getting. Our biggest need right now is CB. Why are we not pushing for Asante? Asante & Osi are Defense changes completely no need to sign anyone else. :defense:

GEM
08-02-2011, 04:23 PM

I could go for that. I just can't see giving up a #1 which it is being reported as what the Giants are asking. Honestly, I think that could be a perfect spot for Ayers. With as much depth as they have there, they could probably turn him into a decent player.

Lancane
08-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Yah I know....but EFX figured they were starting from scratch with the defense and drafted best player on the board period. IF a D-Line guy is best on the board next year he will prob get grabbed by us. Lets see how many of those guys actually turn out. From what I heard DL is the biggest "chance" draft position. A lot are drafter and handful turn out.

Right now I wouldn't bet against us drafting a quarterback next year, not unless Tebow actually breaks out or Quinn shows vast improvement.

G_Money
08-02-2011, 04:55 PM
From what I heard DL is the biggest "chance" draft position. A lot are drafter and handful turn out.

DL is one of the highest bust positions, it's true. But it's also true that it's normally nearly impossible to get a good one on the FA market, which is why this year was an anomaly thanks to all the 4 year guys who got bumped to 6 year FAs instead due to the Collective Bargaining Agreement expiring. It made for a bigger free agent class and more chances to wheel and deal.

Which we did not do.

The other problem with DL is that it's usually a 2-3 year turnaround before you see real results. It's a slow-to-master position. Drafting a DT in 2012 will not help the 2012 defense. It might help the 2013 defense, and if he's the right guy should make a big difference on the 2014 defense.

That's why you want good DL to start with and then draft for the system that you use and make sure that you have young backups training on the job for 2-3 years before your old DL hits free agency or retirement.

We don't have those guys now, so we need to add them. And we need plus starters and decent rotational guys. And right now we have...scraps. And a guy we're hoping is a one-year wonder in a contract year so that he...gets too expensive for us to retain (ie, more expensive than Mebane).

Still contemplating how that plan's gonna work out. Fox better have some magic up his sleeve. He's much skinnier - maybe he traded a few pounds of flesh in some demonic ritual to make this midde of the defense work.

~G

SmilinAssasSin27
08-02-2011, 05:26 PM
If you can get Osi...you get Osi. I don't even understand any argument against it. He would be the most talented Dlineman on our team immediately. And yes, I know we have Elvis. Osi isn't a liability against the run or coming off a major injury. We SHOULD offer our second round pick. Our expectations will be so low, NYG might bite. Use Osi and Ayers on run downs and let Elvis run free on pass downs. Mix it up a bit w/ Harvey and we may just have something. I think now that Ayers is back to his normal spot, you won't hate him as much. He'll never be a pass rush stud, but he's stout vs the run. Adding Osi should make our draft position "worse" based on perspective and giving up a mid 2nd rounder for a player like Osi is a NO BRAINER.