PDA

View Full Version : If we beat the Chargers

Retired_Member_001
10-01-2007, 07:44 AM
The Chargers are 1-3 as everyone knows.

If we could force them to go 1-4, it would make it alot easier to challenge for the AFC West title, Oakland and Kansas City can't contend with us.

The game against the Chargers next week is very important.

What are your thoughts?

JRB
10-01-2007, 07:56 AM
The game is huge, no doubt about it. Anytime you have a chance to make a division rival 1-4 you have to capitalize. However, as much as it pains me to say it, I think Oakland can compete in this division. Unless one of the teams catches fire, 10-6 will probably win it.

Right now it's a three-way tie with Denver, Oakland, and Kansas City with San Diego one game back. That's all we really know for sure.

Medford Bronco
10-01-2007, 08:37 AM

If we could force them to go 1-4, it would make it alot easier to challenge for the AFC West title, Oakland and Kansas City can't contend with us.

What are your thoughts?

I hope we can but I see LT running for 200 on us :tsk:

Also give Oak and KC some credit, they are not bad at all and frankly could finish above us, esp KC. Their defense is a million miles ahead of ours and they have LJ. Oak can run as well and is a late timeout away from being 3-1.

I think 9-7 will win the west and ANY of the 4 teams could do it

Nomad
10-01-2007, 09:23 AM
I see the AFC West wide open. I don't see Denver lighting it up on the Chiefs or Chargers and they surely didn't do it on the Raiders!

Jaws
10-01-2007, 09:51 AM
I see it being very close too, with all four teams scoring victories over one another and not much separating bottom and top in the division. Because it's going to be close I think 10 games may even be enough to win the division this year.

Skinny
10-01-2007, 10:44 AM

What are your thoughts?Yeah it's a big game. When your 2-2 they all of a sudden ALL become big games. Especially when the last 2 teams have beat us like they did and you have been unable to stop the run.

If we're going to have any chance at beating SD, The LBs and Safeties will have to play closer to the LOS than they did against the Colts IMO.

Or it's going to be another long day for the Broncos again.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-01-2007, 10:45 AM
I see 9-7 being a record that will win the division. It may be premature, but this is the season for San Diego right here. If they go 1-4, that's going to hurt them big time. You'll rarely see any 1-4 team rebound and make it to the dance. Denver needs this game. We play a Steelers team who is 3-1 and the undefeated Packers who are 4-0, lucky for us - the Packers don't even run the ball, but we play some good teams down the stretch, and even Detroit isn't a gimme game anymore.

These next three games are at home and it's paramount we win them. We have to. We're always good at home, and these are big time games. Winning all three would be nice, but I'd take two. It's these divisional games that are going to count more than anything when it comes to the AFC West.

We need to down San Diego. End their season now.

dogfish
10-01-2007, 01:38 PM
you're right wook, but unfortunately i agree with med completely. . . LT will probably run for 200 and 3 TDs on us-- he got it going with 100+ yards in the first half yesterday, and i shudder to think what he's going to do to our efense, because they've shown me no signs that they're even close to getting it fixed. . .

i'm very curious to see who we start at DT and at WILL. . .

Medford Bronco
10-01-2007, 01:43 PM
you're right wook, but unfortunately i agree with med completely. . . LT will probably run for 200 and 3 TDs on us-- he got it going with 100+ yards in the first half yesterday, and i shudder to think what he's going to do to our efense, because they've shown me no signs that they're even close to getting it fixed. . .

i'm very curious to see who we start at DT and at WILL. . .

Dogfish, If you dont stop the run in the NFL you are toast

Plain and simple.

Can we fix this. I am not so sure.

What is sad is we played well for the first quarter and one half. After that it was hope we stop Manning and not getting Tds really hurt. If we played a lesser team then maybe we win but not one of the best in the NFL, which we are FAR from now.

can we cheat up a safety this week. Rivers and SDs Wrs dont scare me. LT and their front 7 on defense do. Cutler could be running for his life in this game if we fall behind.

dogfish
10-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Dogfish, If you dont stop the run in the NFL you are toast

Plain and simple.

Can we fix this. I am not so sure.

What is sad is we played well for the first quarter and one half. After that it was hope we stop Manning and not getting Tds really hurt. If we played a lesser team then maybe we win but not one of the best in the NFL, which we are FAR from now.

can we cheat up a safety this week. Rivers and SDs Wrs dont scare me. LT and their front 7 on defense do. Cutler could be running for his life in this game if we fall behind.

yea. . . inability to stop the run is one of the most fatal flaws a football team can have. . .

the broncos certainly have enough talent to be a competitive team, but we're going to be constantly behind the eight ball if we can't at least show some improvement in that area. . . i expect this team to come together and look considerably better by the end of the year, but facing the toughest part of our schedule the next few weeks, it could get worse before it gets better. . . .

:behindsofa:

TXBRONC
10-01-2007, 02:14 PM
yea. . . inability to stop the run is one of the most fatal flaws a football team can have. . .

the broncos certainly have enough talent to be a competitive team, but we're going to be constantly behind the eight ball if we can't at least show some improvement in that area. . . i expect this team to come together and look considerably better by the end of the year, but facing the toughest part of our schedule the next few weeks, it could get worse before it gets better. . . .

:behindsofa:

I think you guys are right. However is this still a winnable game for the Broncos? I think it is, it might be ugly but right now the offense just start generating some points. We know they can the ball, now its time for them to finish off more drives with touchdowns.

BigBroncLove
10-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Well I think it is important to stop the Chargers, not only for the morale of the team, but for sticking the Chargers in a hole. I have big fears about how this team will deal with LT and that front line. I think if we have a healthy Lynch, our regular DT's in, and blitz more often, we have a chance. Agaisnt SD who's biggest recieving weapon is Gates at TE, we have the ability to take some chances in the secondary. Furgeson seemed to really pick it up against Indy, and I think if we fit Crowder in more often during first and second downs, we can be stouter agaisnt the runs if the Broncos LB's and DT's can start to pick it up. It will be a very interesting game. I am personally hoping DJ will be moved to WILL, with Webster at MIKE, and DD Lewis at SAM, but that might be asking for a lot of changes that could hurt the team mroe then help......

I am hoping Henry wil be healthy. I think keepign him on the field, even for only first and second downs, will be important in keeping the SD defense honest. I also like the way we can attack that secondary, especially if Walker is ready to go.

I think anyting beats dealign with the Colts, but I expect LT to have a big day, and the weight to be on the offense again, but I think it is certienly possible. Especially if the Broncos start using the bootleg more often against SD who will be heavy on the pass rush and blitz packages IMO.

Oh, and don't count out KC yet. Their passing game is coming together, they do have LJ who can run all over us with his power running game, and that Defense is playing at a very high level. They got off to a bad start, but I fully expect KC to start making some noise in the coming weeks.

Medford Bronco
10-01-2007, 02:18 PM
I think you guys are right. However is this still a winnable game for the Broncos? I think it is, it might be ugly but right now the offense just start generating some points. We know they can the ball, now its time for them to finish off more drives with touchdowns.

Agreed. TDS and not FGS are tantamount to success. I was so poed when we got a FG of 22 yards. Where is Daniel Graham. For the pats he always was good in the red zone, here he has been non-existant. Hmm:confused:

This has not been Shannys finest hour coaching iMO. I like him but he has to do a better job and not be afraid to turn Cutler loose. I cant believe no deep patterns were not open after we ran down their throat early:confused:

Nomad
10-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Agreed. TDS and not FGS are tantamount to success. I was so poed when we got a FG of 22 yards. Where is Daniel Graham. For the pats he always was good in the red zone, here he has been non-existant. Hmm:confused:

This has not been Shannys finest hour coaching iMO. I like him but he has to do a better job and not be afraid to turn Cutler loose. I cant believe no deep patterns were not open after we ran down their throat early:confused:

Don't forget they have Micheal Turner to spell LT (which I think is a very good RB) and Lorenzo Neal (I know a FB, who seems to have big games against the BRONCOS).

TXBRONC
10-01-2007, 02:32 PM

I don't Shanahan has been afraid, more than anything it seems to me we've been shooting ourselves in the foot when we get into the red zone.

KCL
10-01-2007, 02:45 PM
I think if you can pressure PR...you should be ok.Esp since you
will have home field advantage...of course that didnt help SD...

Yea LT did run for over 100 yards but so did LJ.Stopping LT will be the
key to the game and covering Gates.The weird thing is I think I read that
in the 2nd half...LT had a total of 5 carries...:confused:

How is Denvers passing game? They had a hard time defending the
pass against the Chiefs.

And Wookie...I don't think at this point you can count the Chiefs or the
Raiders out.The season is still young.

I know SD and their fans sure didnt expect the Chiefs to come on so
strong in the 2nd half....hell I didnt expect it...:laugh:

TXBRONC
10-01-2007, 02:49 PM
I think if you can pressure PR...you should be ok.Esp since you
will have home field advantage...of course that didnt help SD...

Yea LT did run for over 100 yards but so did LJ.Stopping LT will be the
key to the game and covering Gates.The weird thing is I think I read that
in the 2nd half...LT had a total of 5 carries...:confused:

How is Denvers passing game? They had a hard time defending the
pass against the Chiefs.

And Wookie...I don't think at this point you can count the Chiefs or the
Raiders out.The season is still young.

I know SD and their fans sure didnt expect the Chiefs to come on so
strong in the 2nd half....hell I didnt expect it...:laugh:

Do mean our passing offense or our pass defense?

Our passing game is solid, Cutler has shown the ability to move the ball through the air.

And our pass defense isn't bad either but of course it doesn't get tested as much because we are so weak against the run.

KCL
10-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Do mean our passing offense or our pass defense?

Our passing game is solid, Cutler has shown the ability to move the ball through the air.

And our pass defense isn't bad either but of course it doesn't get tested as much because we are so weak against the run.

I mean the offense....cause like I stated....SD had a hard time
defending the pass..as when Huard started passing...that is when the points came for KC...our running game wasnt getting it done even tho LJ had about 125 yards rushing.

Retired_Member_001
10-01-2007, 03:11 PM
I see 9-7 being a record that will win the division. It may be premature, but this is the season for San Diego right here. If they go 1-4, that's going to hurt them big time. You'll rarely see any 1-4 team rebound and make it to the dance. Denver needs this game. We play a Steelers team who is 3-1 and the undefeated Packers who are 4-0, lucky for us - the Packers don't even run the ball, but we play some good teams down the stretch, and even Detroit isn't a gimme game anymore.

These next three games are at home and it's paramount we win them. We have to. We're always good at home, and these are big time games. Winning all three would be nice, but I'd take two. It's these divisional games that are going to count more than anything when it comes to the AFC West.

We need to down San Diego. End their season now.

Exactly my opinion.

We could end San Diego's season in week 5. Not only would we give them a 1-4 record, we would put a massive dent in their team morale. Infact I see alot of heat being fired at Norv Turner IF we beat the San Diego Chargers.

We need to win.

KCL
10-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Exactly my opinion.

We could end San Diego's season in week 5. Not only would we give them a 1-4 record, we would put a massive dent in their team morale. Infact I see alot of heat being fired at Norv Turner IF we beat the San Diego Chargers.

We need to win.

SD fans were chanting "Marty Marty" yesterday..

Retired_Member_001
10-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Yeah it's a big game. When your 2-2 they all of a sudden ALL become big games. Especially when the last 2 teams have beat us like they did and you have been unable to stop the run.

If we're going to have any chance at beating SD, The LBs and Safeties will have to play closer to the LOS than they did against the Colts IMO.

Or it's going to be another long day for the Broncos again.

Something I noticed against the Colts was that we hardly ever blitzed." Fair enough", one might say," you don't want to leave your secondry vulnerable against Peyton Manning"

BUT, on nearly EVERY first down, the Colts would run the ball. Seeing as the Colts kept running on first down, I think it would have been wise to have had an additional blitzer on first down.

I think against SG we WILL have the three LBs and the two Safeties playing closer to the LOS aswell as throwing a few more blitzes at them.

KCL
10-01-2007, 03:20 PM
If Denver can keep the pressure on Rivers...that will probably
give them the win..

He threw 3 picks yesterday while being pressured...and I dont know
if any of you watched the game as I know Denver was playing at the
same time...but he had a wide open LT (I believe it was LT) and folded
under the pressure...he just stood there and hung onto the ball and got
sacked....:confused:

Retired_Member_001
10-01-2007, 03:22 PM
If Denver can keep the pressure on Rivers...that will probably
give them the win..

He threw 3 picks yesterday while being pressured...and I dont know
if any of you watched the game as I know Denver was playing at the
same time...but he had a wide open LT (I believe it was LT) and folded
under the pressure...he just stood there and hung onto the ball and got
sacked....:confused:

Yep, and the best way to keep the pressure on Rivers is to shut down LT.

KCL
10-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Yep, and the best way to keep the pressure on Rivers is to shut down LT.

well we couldnt stop LT in the first half but in the 2nd half...they pretty
much abandoned the run...which I think was due to the fact that KC got
up on them by 2 TDs and they were trying to play catch up...but he was
pretty much a non factor in the 2nd half...LT that is...

I just went and looked at the stats...Rivers threw 2 picks but as a whole they turned the ball over 4 times...I mistated Rivers picks in an earlier post.

Huard also threw 2 picks.

Retired_Member_001
10-01-2007, 03:37 PM
well we couldnt stop LT in the first half but in the 2nd half...they pretty
much abandoned the run...which I think was due to the fact that KC got
up on them by 2 TDs and they were trying to play catch up...but he was
pretty much a non factor in the 2nd half...LT that is...

I just went and looked at the stats...Rivers threw 2 picks but as a whole they turned the ball over 4 times...I mistated Rivers picks in an earlier post.

Huard also threw 2 picks.

Were both these picks in the second half?

I didn't see the game, I was watching the superior AFC West team. :rolleyes:

Skinny
10-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Something I noticed against the Colts was that we hardly ever blitzed." Fair enough", one might say," you don't want to leave your secondry vulnerable against Peyton Manning"I thought the pressure being applied to Peyton from the D-line was decent enough to have to avoid bringing the other Safety to the line and blitz. Safer to keep him back protecting anything deep.

The thought here could have been just as you mentioned

Bringing the Safety to the LOS to stop the run is another thing. . .

BUT, on nearly EVERY first down, the Colts would run the ball. Seeing as the Colts kept running on first down, I think it would have been wise to have had an additional blitzer on first down.Yeah, a 'Gap Eating LB Blitz'!

Or a Safety. . .either would have helped.

I think against SG we WILL have the three LBs and the two Safeties playing closer to the LOS aswell as throwing a few more blitzes at them.Rivers strength is his short to meduim range passes. He's very accurate and efficient in that area. And we know about LT and Gates.

If we don't play 'up' on those 3 players, the same thing will happen to us, that happened to us with indy.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-01-2007, 04:55 PM
WE HAVE TO GET HEALTHY! That's the only way we're really going to be able to contend. Not Having Lynch in there hurt us yesterday. I think not having Javon on the field also limited the ability for Marshall to get one-on-one looks, too. i think there was a possibility that the score would've been a little closer with both on the field instead of in street clothes. With Walker out there, we definitely would've passed more when we got behind in the second half.

The game planning when it comes to personnel was shoddy, also. Shanny admitted in his post-game presser that we GAVE SAM ADAMS THE NIGHT OFF. We did that with pretty much all the bulky, run stopping DTs in hopes that we could get a better pass-rush lining up 4 DEs on the LOS. While that provided a lot of speed on the field, they got DESTROYED during the running game.

Once again, our LBs displayed that they can't tackle my grandmother. Most of the runs in the second half had contact in the first 3 yards but guys just couldn't bring the ballcarrier down. The second half looked just like the Addai TD run (where he broke like 11 tackles) over and over and over. It looked like the Carolina game a few years ago (Reuben Droughns debut)...they knew we were going to run it down their throats, they just couldn't stop it. I dunno how to fix the run defense or the tackling but this is getting to be more than ridiculous...it's disgraceful.

Oh and on one more note... *I'm not making excuses here, but...* the Colts O-line got away with a metric Butt-Ton of holds in that game. Not "little holds away from the play" but big ones. Jeff Saturday had two handfuls of Jersey outside the shoulder pads on EVERY RUN UP THE MIDDLE and was PULLING, not pushing the D-linemen out of the hole that was being run through. I TiVo'd the game and watched many of the running plays over and over wondering why it wasn't being called. I also noticed on most of Addai's big "cutback" runs that the Colts O-linemen were going low to cut (which is legal) but were then using their arms to trip up the LBs that were trying to get to the outside or reverse their field in pursuit. Nate Wesbster was just straight-up tackled below the waist - I mean straight up wrapped up and tackled - at least twice by O-linemen with Officials staring right at it. like I said, not an excuse, but the officials didn't do a very good job at all. The Colts had so few penalties because the Officials weren't calling them, not because they were playing error free football. :rip::hurt:

dogfish
10-01-2007, 06:11 PM

i know, i watched the last few minutes of the game-- i thought it was hilarious. . . :laugh:

:pound:

Lonestar
10-01-2007, 07:08 PM

What are your thoughts?

a hahahahahahah

I can't fathom this defense shutting down LT.

If bates is able to do so he deserves a million dollar raise...:salute:

TXBRONC
10-01-2007, 07:51 PM

That's pretty funny considering that it wasn't that long ago that several Charger fans were saying that Norv was a great coach on bad teams.

Lonestar
10-01-2007, 07:52 PM
That's pretty funny considering that it wasn't that long ago that several Charger fans were saying that Norv was a great coach on bad teams.

When your winning everything is good when your not ever thing is open for discussion>>

Tom33
10-01-2007, 08:03 PM
That is very true. I mean I am not a Charger fan, but how can you get rid of a whole coaching staff that was 14-2 last year for a coach that has not done anything in his career?

TXBRONC
10-01-2007, 08:18 PM
That is very true. I mean I am not a Charger fan, but how can you get rid of a whole coaching staff that was 14-2 last year for a coach that has not done anything in his career?

That's not quite true, they kept the water boy. :D

Medford Bronco
10-01-2007, 10:41 PM
a hahahahahahah

maybe we can play 11 in the box :laugh:

jk people, we do need to cheat a safety up and play 8 up though IMO

TXBRONC
10-01-2007, 10:43 PM
It's definitely time for the front seven to step up as a group.

gobroncsnv
10-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Sounds like I missed the part where we benched Gold??? What's the deal? If so, with his play this year, so far, he's only had one decent game, but we've played 4. It can't hurt too bad to try this, SOMETHING, ANYTHING.

On another board, I mentioned that SD was going to fall off some with Turner at the helm. I didn't think the drop would be this dramatic, but they got troubles. It's not good for a team to point fingers and have "competitive discussions".

(by the way, if anybody needed a new version of the Madden, SI cover, or other kind of curse, take a look at the United Way pocket football schedules... LT and Brees were named United Way's Men of the Year or something. Now that is going to be an award that nobody will ever want to win again.)

broncosfanscott
10-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Sunday's game is very important because we are only 2-2 and if we beat SD then we will have a 2 game lead on them (1-0 head-to-head) and a 2-0 record within our division.

Our :defense: needs to slow LT who looked better in the first half Sunday and Cutler needs to take advantage of their secondary with Marshall and Walker, who I hope is healthy for the game.

TXBRONC
10-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Sounds like I missed the part where we benched Gold??? What's the deal? If so, with his play this year, so far, he's only had one decent game, but we've played 4. It can't hurt too bad to try this, SOMETHING, ANYTHING.

On another board, I mentioned that SD was going to fall off some with Turner at the helm. I didn't think the drop would be this dramatic, but they got troubles. It's not good for a team to point fingers and have "competitive discussions".

(by the way, if anybody needed a new version of the Madden, SI cover, or other kind of curse, take a look at the United Way pocket football schedules... LT and Brees were named United Way's Men of the Year or something. Now that is going to be an award that nobody will ever want to win again.)

I think alot of us if not most of us felt that the Chargers wouldn't be as good. But it is just Norm. The entire coaching staff is new. I don't capitalize but if we can win this game we can just about put the Chargers away for this season.

Mike
10-02-2007, 10:01 AM
I really hope that LT doesn't have a Corey Dillon type game this weekend. Even Norv Turner won't be dumb enough to go away from LT in the second half after last weekend.

Forget about the gaping holes for one minute. One thing that I have noticed very often this season is the cut back lanes. So far, not many runners have exploited it although Addai did a little bit. But the cut back is there for the taking. I believe that LT will do the taking.

Escobar
10-02-2007, 10:18 AM
dumerville might turn out to be a star in this game, mcniel guy has had a terrible season...not lorenzo neal, they're left tackle.

TXBRONC
10-02-2007, 10:49 AM
dumerville might turn out to be a star in this game, mcniel guy has had a terrible season...not lorenzo neal, they're left tackle.

I was looking at some of the stats and looks like Rivers is getting sacked at a higher rate.

arapaho2
10-02-2007, 11:16 AM
keys to beating the chargers

1. someone other then Gold must guard gates...simple as that...i would rather let bailey cover their biggest passing threat and let bly and fox handle their wrs, then chance gold being able to stop gates

2. jamb gates at the line...he is a great route runner and you cannot allow a free release

3. attack with the line...this method of our dts standing up the block isnt working...attack, disrupt the play on thier side of the line

4. dust off the bates blitz book and put it to good use

5. last but certainly not least ....knock LT down...Lt is a chip blocker, by design they move lt to block , he chips the defender comeing in...then sets up for the screen or short pass, which has killed us.....if he is attempting to block..KNOCK HIM ON HIS ASS!!!!!!!...it is a play designed for LT...take him out of the play

on offense

1. use the pass to set up the run....
2. keep it mixed up
3. quick slants
4. the Te needs to be involved , specially sheffler...he needs to get in the game...he is a huge mismatch for the bolts

special teams

1. replace hixon...i had hope,,,i had faith, but i dont see it anymore, he is to hesitant, since he can barely make it to the 20 and he supposedly is the fastest bronco next to champ...with that speed he should be able to get past the 20 easy enough...he also doesnt seem to see the hole , if there is one...but seems to close his eyes and run smack into the tackle

2. get some friggen touchbacks

3. punt for the corners, let the ball going out of bounds stop the play, lord knows nobody but champ seems to be able to

Lonestar
10-02-2007, 11:27 AM

1. someone other then Gold must guard gates...simple as that...i would rather let bailey cover their biggest passing threat and let bly and fox handle their wrs, then chance gold being able to stop gates

2. jamb gates at the line...he is a great route runner and you cannot allow a free release

3. attack with the line...this method of our dts standing up the block isnt working...attack, disrupt the play on thier side of the line

5. last but certainly not least ....knock LT down...Lt is a chip blocker, by design they move lt to block , he chips the defender comeing in...then sets up for the screen or short pass, which has killed us.....if he is attempting to block..KNOCK HIM ON HIS ASS!!!!!!!...it is a play designed for LT...take him out of the play

on offense

2. keep it mixed up
3. quick slants
4. the Te needs to be involved , specially sheffler...he needs to get in the game...he is a huge mismatch for the bolts

special teams

1. replace hixon...i had hope,,,i had faith, but i dont see it anymore, he is to hesitant, since he can barely make it to the 20 and he supposedly is the fastest bronco next to champ...with that speed he should be able to get past the 20 easy enough...he also doesnt seem to see the hole , if there is one...but seems to close his eyes and run smack into the tackle

3. punt for the corners, let the ball going out of bounds stop the play, lord knows nobody but champ seems to be able to

Good post overall..

I'd put Champ on Gates period, if they (Rivers and Gates) can beat Champ then they deserve to win.

TXBRONC
10-02-2007, 11:33 AM
The tight end is usually the responsibility of the Sam linebacker.

Medford Bronco
10-02-2007, 11:48 AM

but the way Gold is struggling, its time to change things up to help us win hopefully

Mike
10-02-2007, 11:49 AM

Gates is an exception. He is more like a WR than a TE. Bailey should definitely be covering Gates. But he will still be giving up a lot of size (i.e. Gates should be able to box Champ out for easy catches).

I can tell you this...if we put Gold or Webster on him, he will kill us. The only LB that has a chance is DJ...and even then I think that a safety would be needed to assist in coverage.

Lonestar
10-02-2007, 12:17 PM

Your correct but the past couple of weeks gold has been for some reason following the TE's around.

but the way Gold is struggling, its time to change things up to help us win hopefully

Gold is not what he used to be. Perhaps bates has finally seen this with him being benched last week, perhaps he will get the message and step it up or they will cut the salary and move on.

Maybe as I once commented on if he were playing 8 yards deep as a safety his speed would could be used more effectively as a Free safety, although that would mean he would have to tackle someone over the middle and I'm not sure he could do that.

Lonestar
10-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Gates is an exception. He is more like a WR than a TE. Bailey should definitely be covering Gates. But he will still be giving up a lot of size (i.e. Gates should be able to box Champ out for easy catches).

I can tell you this...if we put Gold or Webster on him, he will kill us. The only LB that has a chance is DJ...and even then I think that a safety would be needed to assist in coverage.

I'm not so sure that gates can beat Champ in a jumping contest although he gives up and few inches in height Champ if memory serves correct used to be a high jumper with a 7 foot jump to his credit.

Mike
10-02-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm not so sure that gates can beat Champ in a jumping contest although he gives up and few inches in height Champ if memory serves correct used to be a high jumper with a 7 foot jump to his credit.

I agree. However, I was talking about his bulk not height.

Lonestar
10-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I agree. However, I was talking about his bulk not height.

Maybe your correct but Champ has never shied away from contact with anyone.

I'll place my faith in Champ and if he gets beat then we have seen an epic match.

Mike
10-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Maybe your correct but Champ has never shied away from contact with anyone.

I'll place my faith in Champ and if he gets beat then we have seen an epic match.

I certainly have faith in Champ...although I feel that his CB play has suffered of late somewhat because he has been looking into the backfield worrying about the run game.

It should be a good match-up. One that I feel Champ can win. His speed is an advantage over Gates size (bulk). And Rivers is far from a surgeon-type passer this year. I think that if for some reason Norv Turner decides to throw the ball, then Bailey will get an INT. But I think that Turner has learned his lesson and will feed LT the ball. My game plan if I were him...

1st down...run to the left
2nd down...run to the right
if necessary...3rd down...run at Gold
rinse...repeat

Lonestar
10-02-2007, 12:46 PM
I certainly have faith in Champ...although I feel that his CB play has suffered of late somewhat because he has been looking into the backfield worrying about the run game.

It should be a good match-up. One that I feel Champ can win. His speed is an advantage over Gates size (bulk). And Rivers is far from a surgeon-type passer this year. I think that if for some reason Norv Turner decides to throw the ball, then Bailey will get an INT. But I think that Turner has learned his lesson and will feed LT the ball. My game plan if I were him...

1st down...run to the left
2nd down...run to the right
if necessary...3rd down...run at Gold
rinse...repeat

Not sure I'd even rinse it, just keep on feeding the best football player in the NFL.

I suspect more runs will come up the gut this week than we want to think about.

Retired_Member_001
10-02-2007, 12:57 PM
a hahahahahahah

:laugh:

LT will run on us, that's for sure. Unfortunately, I think he is back to his normal self.

Eventually though Philip Rivers will have to throw the ball, I don't fancy his chances against Champ and Dre'.

It will be a very tough game.

Retired_Member_001
10-02-2007, 01:06 PM
I thought the pressure being applied to Peyton from the D-line was decent enough to have to avoid bringing the other Safety to the line and blitz. Safer to keep him back protecting anything deep.

The pressue being applied to Addai wasn't enough though. I thought we should have had more players playing closer to the LOS aswell as sending an additional blitzer to try and hit Addai in the back field, on first down.

The thought here could have been just as you mentioned

Bringing the Safety to the LOS to stop the run is another thing. . .

Yeah, a 'Gap Eating LB Blitz'!

Or a Safety. . .either would have helped.

Exactly.

Rivers strength is his short to meduim range passes. He's very accurate and efficient in that area. And we know about LT and Gates.

If we don't play 'up' on those 3 players, the same thing will happen to us, that happened to us with indy.

As I said in my previous post, I don't think Rivers has a chance against Champ and Dre'.

We just have to make sure who ever is covering Gates does a good job.

Lonestar
10-02-2007, 01:59 PM
:laugh:

LT will run on us, that's for sure. Unfortunately, I think he is back to his normal self.

Eventually though Philip Rivers will have to throw the ball, I don't fancy his chances against Champ and Dre'.

It will be a very tough game.

I don't think any good QB is afraid of Bly he bites on the double move to easily and takes chances going for the pick.

With all the time Rivers will probably have to throw the ball I suspect they are licking their chops at the prospect if they even have to pass the ball.

Skinny
10-02-2007, 02:56 PM
I don't think any good QB is afraid of Bly he bites on the double move to easily and takes chances going for the pick.

With all the time Rivers will probably have to throw the ball I suspect they are licking their chops at the prospect if they even have to pass the ball.I honestly beleive if we can make the Chargers offense throw the ball instead of running it, we got a great chance at winning this game.

Rivers is'nt doing as good a job as he did in the early part of last season due to the fact that LT got going alot sooner and no games were put on Rivers shoulders to win.

This year has had a diffrent start for them and the games are being put on Rivers shoulders is now and the results are diffrent in the W and L column.

In 2006 through September (3-1 record), Rivers QB Rating was 107.4, with 2 TDs and 0 INT.

In 2007 through September (1-3 record), Rivers QB Rating is 76.0, with 5 TDs and 6 INT.

If we can stop the run from killing us rather than just stopping it completely and putting more of it on Rivers shoulders, we can win this game.

But that's just it. . . stopping their run and forcing them to throw it.

TXBRONC
10-02-2007, 05:01 PM
I honestly beleive if we can make the Chargers offense throw the ball instead of running it, we got a great chance at winning this game.

Rivers is'nt doing as good a job as he did in the early part of last season due to the fact that LT got going alot sooner and no games were put on Rivers shoulders to win.

This year has had a diffrent start for them and the games are being put on Rivers shoulders is now and the results are diffrent in the W and L column.

In 2006 through September (3-1 record), Rivers QB Rating was 107.4, with 2 TDs and 0 INT.

In 2007 through September (1-3 record), Rivers QB Rating is 76.0, with 5 TDs and 6 INT.

If we can stop the run from killing us rather than just stopping it completely and putting more of it on Rivers shoulders, we can win this game.

But that's just it. . . stopping their run and forcing them to throw it.

Yeah if we can get them into a lot 3rd longs I don't think have the receivers to really hurt our pass defense.

gobroncsnv
10-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Not sure I'd even rinse it, just keep on feeding the best football player in the NFL.

So you're thinking they WILL throw it Champ's way>???? :D Not a good plan by SD if you ask me...

TXBRONC
10-02-2007, 09:19 PM

I know that since we brought Champ to Denver we have used him on TG but even so its never been every passing down.

Lonestar
10-02-2007, 11:39 PM
So you're thinking they WILL throw it Champ's way>???? :D Not a good plan by SD if you ask me...

I was discussing LT's play, sorry if I was not clear..

NameUsedBefore
10-02-2007, 11:49 PM
If we beat the Chargers they're done for the year.

But, seeing as how our run-defense has been pretty porous as of late, it wouldn't surprise me to see LT run all over us come Sunday.

Lonestar
10-02-2007, 11:55 PM
If we beat the Chargers they're done for the year.

But, seeing as how our run-defense has been pretty porous as of late, it wouldn't surprise me to see LT run all over us come Sunday.

Run all over us, run around us, run over us and maybe even run underneath us.

broncosfanscott
10-03-2007, 01:46 AM

on offense

2. keep it mixed up
3. quick slants

special teams

All very good points. Nice posts.

Blitzing.......need to do some of this as Rivers is showing that he is easily being rattled.

Exactly, and repeat and repeat and repeat.

Oh and please give SD bad field position and make them drive the length of the field.

TXBRONC
10-03-2007, 07:16 AM
All very good points. Nice posts.

Blitzing.......need to do some of this as Rivers is showing that he is easily being rattled.

Exactly, and repeat and repeat and repeat.

Oh and please give SD bad field position and make them drive the length of the field.

Their offensive line has been shaky I don't see why should be able to get pressure on him.

Retired_Member_001
10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Their offensive line has been shaky I don't see why should be able to get pressure on him.

A very good point there.

Both run blocking and pass blocking has been a problem for San Diego this season, and we will need to exploit that as far as possible, considering our run defense has been so terrible.

arapaho2
10-04-2007, 04:07 PM
with all that said ..still the thing i am most concerned about is LT off the screen or check down....rivers has shown to be fragile when pressured, we need to pressure him and let the secondary worry about the wrs and gates....but what will kill us is if they counteract the pass rush with the check down or screens to LT...which in most cases he is wide open

so we need to remember if he is attempting to block...chip, or fully, the defender needs to put him on the ground hard..and not think that ..
" boy Lt wiffed me on that one, im gonna get a sack" cause your not..its a screen or check down to the most dangerous back in the game...run him over, knock him on his ass and keep him down

they wont get the sck but you take LT out of the play that probably was set up to let the rush in and LT out in the flat all alone...so if he;s gonna try to block , dont try to get around him run through him...do that and we just might get some third down stops

Medford Bronco
10-04-2007, 04:16 PM
with all that said ..still the thing i am most concerned about is LT off the screen or check down....rivers has shown to be fragile when pressured, we need to pressure him and let the secondary worry about the wrs and gates....but what will kill us is if they counteract the pass rush with the check down or screens to LT...which in most cases he is wide open

so we need to remember if he is attempting to block...chip, or fully, the defender needs to put him on the ground hard..and not think that ..
" boy Lt wiffed me on that one, im gonna get a sack" cause your not..its a screen or check down to the most dangerous back in the game...run him over, knock him on his ass and keep him down

they wont get the sck but you take LT out of the play that probably was set up to let the rush in and LT out in the flat all alone...so if he;s gonna try to block , dont try to get around him run through him...do that and we just might get some third down stops

I think the play in the flat last season when Denver was up 24-7 and LT scored a 50 something yard TD, effectively was the beginning of the end in that game and ultimatley the season, so your point is extermely valid.

TXBRONC
10-04-2007, 05:44 PM
A very good point there.

Both run blocking and pass blocking has been a problem for San Diego this season, and we will need to exploit that as far as possible, considering our run defense has been so terrible.

I don't know what can be done, but somehow Bates has got to find away to get that defensive line to play better.

Watchthemiddle
10-04-2007, 05:48 PM
I don't know what can be done, but somehow Bates has got to find away to get that defensive line to play better.

If we can control the line of scrimmage for 4 quarters on offense and defense they we might dominate this game.

We have to pressure Rivers ( if they ever pass) and if they don't 4 guys need to make the tackle on LT every time.

Thats what I tell my 7 yo little league team on defense. I want to see 4 guys making every tackle.

LT could have the break out game of the year if we don't.

Medford Bronco
10-04-2007, 05:50 PM
If we can control the line of scrimmage for 4 quarters on offense and defense they we might dominate this game.

We have to pressure Rivers ( if they ever pass) and if they don't 4 guys need to make the tackle on LT every time.

Thats what I tell my 7 yo little league team on defense. I want to see 4 guys making every tackle.

LT could have the break out game of the year if we don't.

I think we can have a good offensive game but defensively I have No confidence in this team. Heck Atlanta Warrick Dunn could light us up this year the way our run defense looks.

TXBRONC
10-04-2007, 05:52 PM
I think we can have a good offensive game but defensively I have No confidence in this team. Heck Atlanta Warrick Dunn could light us up this year the way our run defense looks.

I think its always possible to turn things around but its taking more time than I would like for it too.

Watchthemiddle
10-04-2007, 05:58 PM
I think its always possible to turn things around but its taking more time than I would for it too.

I think we need to go back and look at Bates' former teams and their defense. How were the Dolpins at stopping the run? WHo was their DT's? We all know they excelled at the pass and had a great pass rush with Taylor, but how was their overall defense?

I bet if we asked Jason Taylor or Zach Thomas they would tell us he is an outstanding defensive coach and we just need to be patient.

Medford Bronco
10-04-2007, 05:59 PM
I think we need to go back and look at Bates' former teams and their defense. How were the Dolpins at stopping the run? WHo was their DT's? We all know they excelled at the pass and had a great pass rush with Taylor, but how was their overall defense?

I bet if we asked Jason Taylor or Zach Thomas they would tell us he is an outstanding defensive coach and we just need to be patient.

Of course it helps with those two on the team. We only have Champ that is in the category of those two players. We miss Al severely and our d line is just too green right now.

TXBRONC
10-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Of course it helps with those two on the team. We only have Champ that is in the category of those two players. We miss Al severely and our d line is just too green right now.

If I'm not mistaken Bates also had two solid corners that could play man to man coverage like we do.

The other thing to keep in mind is by the time Bates got there those guys were already well established veterans. Zach was already an All-Pro Mike linebacker and Taylor and All-Pro defensive end.

Lonestar
10-05-2007, 05:21 PM

If memory serves correct they were top 5 overall defense, consistently with bunch of all pros on that side of the field.

Broncos Mtnman
10-05-2007, 05:53 PM

The RMN had a story about this very thing yesterday...

2000 - 108.5 ypg which was 14th in the league
2001 - 111.2 ypg (17th)
2002 - 97.1 ypg (tied for 5th)
2003 - 90.8 ypg (5th)
2004 - 143.9 ypg (31st)

With the Packers

2005 - 125.6 (23rd)

Here's some more interesting info....

The 'Phins never averaged more than 22.1 in points allowed per game. We are close to that through the first 4 games at 23.8 (a number that was much lower before the Colts game).

None of Bates' defense's gave up more than 12 rushing TDs in a season, a number that we aren't far from either (4 through 4 games).

In the passing game, we are pretty close to Bates' historical averages. Only once has a Bates defense failed to be in the top 10 in pass defense (based on total yards) We are currently 1st - even after the Colts game.

And even when you look at the total defense, his teams have always been ranked in the top 10 in total yards (we are currently 6th).

So, while I will agree with the need to get better against the run, along with getting better at tackling, I don't think we are that far from being where Bates and Shanny want to see us.

If we can just start scoring more on offense when we're in the Red Zone, we can ride out the learning curve of the defense.

By the way, it's not IF we beat the Chargers....

.... but WHEN!! :salute:

broncosfanscott
10-05-2007, 09:35 PM
There is obviously the run defense that we need to fix, yet I hope on Sunday that our defense can remember how to tackle. When you get to the player, make sure he goes down right then and there. I don't want to see three players miss before he goes down 5-10 yds. further downfield.

BigBroncLove
10-05-2007, 09:39 PM

2001 - 111.2 ypg (17th)
2003 - 90.8 ypg (5th)
2004 - 143.9 ypg (31st)

With the Packers

2005 - 125.6 (23rd)

The 'Phins never averaged more than 22.1 in points allowed per game. We are close to that through the first 4 games at 23.8 (a number that was much lower before the Colts game).

None of Bates' defense's gave up more than 12 rushing TDs in a season, a number that we aren't far from either (4 through 4 games).

In the passing game, we are pretty close to Bates' historical averages. Only once has a Bates defense failed to be in the top 10 in pass defense (based on total yards) We are currently 1st - even after the Colts game.

And even when you look at the total defense, his teams have always been ranked in the top 10 in total yards (we are currently 6th).

So, while I will agree with the need to get better against the run, along with getting better at tackling, I don't think we are that far from being where Bates and Shanny want to see us.

If we can just start scoring more on offense when we're in the Red Zone, we can ride out the learning curve of the defense.

.... but WHEN!! :salute:

Great post mtnman.

I think if hte Broncos run D can even make itself a middle of the league D ranking near the 16th mark, the pass D's effectiveness will equal a very effective D. The thing I don't like at the moment is the Broncos are ranked 24th in the number of times opposing offenses have reached the red zone. That allows them to chew up the clock, regardless of their TD output, putting more pressureon an O with less time.

Were not that far off. The question is can teh scheme overcome the personel issues at specific positions, specifically DT. Only time will tell, but damnit I'm hopeful that can happen soon. Like this week! :2thumbs:

BANJOPICKER1
10-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Is anyone worried about V Jackson in this game??

Lonestar
10-06-2007, 11:09 PM

2001 - 111.2 ypg (17th)
2003 - 90.8 ypg (5th)
2004 - 143.9 ypg (31st)

With the Packers

2005 - 125.6 (23rd)

.... but WHEN??? :salute:

That is easy 2008!!!!!!!:salute:

Tned
10-07-2007, 06:37 AM
While we may be tied with KC and Oak, I still consider the Chargers the biggest competition in the west, so beating them today is very important. IMO

TXBRONC
10-07-2007, 08:57 AM
While we may be tied with KC and Oak, I still consider the Chargers the biggest competition in the west, so beating them today is very important. IMO

If they lose today, that should pretty much finish them off.

rcsodak
10-08-2007, 02:34 AM
If they lose today, that should pretty much finish them off.

Yep!

Stick a fork in 'em.
:D