PDA

View Full Version : Big XII North thoughts..

JRB
10-01-2007, 06:32 AM
*I posted this on TOS as well. I figured some of you who don't go there anymore might want to get in on the conversation.*

It's shaping up to be a pretty interesting race for the Big XII North Championship. Right now, I see four teams with a legitimate chance of winning the division, one wildcard, and one team with no chance. For me, the four teams with legitimate chances are Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas State, and Colorado. The wildcard is Kansas State and Iowa State is the team with little chance.

Missouri's started the season with a huge win against Illinois in week one. However, since then they have beaten two teams with a losing record and a 1AA team. The case can be made for Chase Daniels being the best QB in the Big XII and are stocked at TE. Their biggest challenge may be overcoming Pinkel's coaching. We'll find out a lot more about this team after their showdown with Nebraska this weekend.

On paper, Nebraska probably has the most talent. They started out well with a blowout win against Nevada but have since struggled for 2 of their next 3 wins. In week two they beat a 2-2 Wake Forest team 20-17, in week three they were blown out by USC and in week four they were lucky to escape with a 41-40 win over Ball State. However, in week 5 they rebounded to a nice victory over Iowa State after a slow start. If Callahan can get the players to compete at their potential they could win the division. If not, it could be his last year.

Kansas State had a huge win over #7 Texas in week 5. They needed the win after losing to, at the time, a top 25 Auburn team. Ron Prince definitely has the team going in the right direction. They look as if they'll be able to play with anyone in the division. They play an undefeated Kansas team this weekend and will be tested again in week 7 vs. Colorado.

With respect to Nebraska's match up vs. USC, Colorado has played the toughest schedule of any of the Big XII North teams. After an opening victory over winless Colorado St. in week 1, the Buffs suffered tough losses against top 25 team Arizona State and a tough Florida State team. They had their chances to win both games but in the end the execution just wasn't there and they fell to 1-2. After a 42-0 victory over 2-3 Miami (OH) the Buffs faced their biggest challenge of the year, an undefeated high-scoring, high ranked Oklahoma team. The Buffs, led by their stingy defense came away with 27-24 upset of the #3 ranked Sooners. Had it not been for two tipped pass interceptions that set up OU with great field position, the margin of victory could have been even larger. The Buffs have arguably the best LB in the Big XII in Jordan Dizon. He is the unquestioned leader of a defense that features All Big XII candidates Terrence Wheatley and George Hypolite. The offense is young. Other than Hugh Charles, the Buffs biggest playmakers are freshman. Cody Hawkins leads the team at QB and has played as well as could be expected. The running game was non-existent vs. AZ St. and FL St. but awoke vs. Miami (OH) and OU. They have rushed for 520 total yards in their previous two games. They have plenty of momentum and have to be taken seriously by other North teams.

With Kansas I am taking a wait and see approach. Sure they're 4-0, but wins over cupcakes like Central Michigan, SE Louisiana, Toledo, and Florida International won't make them any more competitive in Big XII play. Their schedule gets much tougher this weekend when they play in Manhattan KS, against in-state rival Kansas State. If they can win this game I will take them more seriously. Until then.....

Iowa State, I'm sorry but it's just not your year. Chizik seems like the right guy to turn the program a while but it is going to take some time. The Cyclones will improve in a few years but for now their fans will have to be patient with a team beginning to rebuild.

Nomad
10-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Who would of thought Kansas would of went to Manhattan and beat the Wildcats! This really hurts Texas:laugh::laugh::laugh:!

rcsodak
10-08-2007, 02:40 AM
Who would of thought Kansas would of went to Manhattan and beat the Wildcats! This really hurts Texas:laugh::laugh:!

And Callacan't is crapping his drawers.....:D

Callacan't ---->> :ahhhhh: