PDA

View Full Version : Brodrick Bunkley, DT headed to Denver!

Bugs Baloney
08-01-2011, 04:01 PM
tweet via @milehighreport

Broderick Bunkley headed to #Broncos.. Had been traded to the #Browns, but wasn't really interested in going...

Bugs Baloney
08-01-2011, 04:01 PM
specs:

http://www.nfl.com/player/brodrickbunkley/2506880/profile

Northman
08-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Lets hope he can contribute.

UnderArmour
08-01-2011, 04:05 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He better show up to camp now because we need him. We need him bad. GJ EFX.

SOCALORADO.
08-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Hes not bad at all. I like him as much as Dockett and much more than Branch. Hes a serviceable DT, and might be able to play the NT spot with Thomas playing the UT.

Now they need to go out and get one more pure pass rushing UT/DT.

Slick
08-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I have to admit when I read the Browns traded, I think it was a 5th round pick for him, I wondered why Denver didn't pull the trigger first.

Tempered enthusiasm at the moment.

:bandit:

Bugs Baloney
08-01-2011, 04:11 PM
@ClaytonESPN John Clayton

The Broncos are grabbing former 1st round DL _ they trade for B. Bunkley of Eagles, sign Derrick Harvey and a looking at J. Anderson of Atl

Tned
08-01-2011, 04:12 PM
I have to admit when I read the Browns traded, I think it was a 5th round pick for him, I wondered why Denver didn't pull the trigger first.

Tempered enthusiasm at the moment.

:bandit:

Yes, and we are giving them a 2013 pick, so he's definitely not commanding high value.

BigDaddyBronco
08-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Is his knee shot?

Slick
08-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Is his knee shot?

His knees are why I am tempering my enthusiasm.

G_Money
08-01-2011, 04:17 PM
http://apracticalguidetoracism.com/images/missive12_bunkley.jpg

DTs whose necks are bigger than their heads = some kind of win.

If only he still looked like that.

Love trading for a fat, unmotivated malcontent underachiever.

Somebody motivate him with a tub of cheetos or something. Or hey, he's a FA after the season right? That could help.

C'mon contract year beast-out...as long as we don't pay him top dollar for it later. :tsk:

Giving up a draft pick for 1 year of a workout warrior bust: interesting solution to our DT problem. Fox knows what guys work in his system - hopefully Bunkley turns out to be one of them.

~G

G_Money
08-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Yes, and we are giving them a 2013 pick, so he's definitely not commanding high value.

2013? yeah, not high value. MAN I hope he decides he actually wants to play football though.

Somebody make him start (resume?) juicing.

~G

underrated29
LOL--someone totally called this.

They saw that he got traded to CLE but didnt want to report and said he hopes we then trade for him.

Awesone!

titan
from twitter:

ProFootbalFocus 3:06pm via TweetDeck

not sure quote what happened with Bunkley, but that is a huge move for Denver. One of best run stuffing DTs in league.

G_Money
08-01-2011, 04:19 PM
from twitter:

ProFootbalFocus 3:06pm via TweetDeck

not sure quote what happened with Bunkley, but that is a huge move for Denver. One of best run stuffing DTs in league.

In what year? Didn't he lose his starting job because he failed to stop the run and can't rush the passer either?

~G

Tned
08-01-2011, 04:22 PM
2013? yeah, not high value. MAN I hope he decides he actually wants to play football though.

Somebody make him start (resume?) juicing.

~G

He was originally traded for a 2012 5th to Cleveland. After that trade was voided, Denver has given an undisclosed 2013 pick for him.

Ziggy
08-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Bunkley never panned out as a pass rusher, but he's very solid against the run, which is what this defense needs. John Fox's defenses need to be stout up the middle, so that the edge rushers can make an impact. This is a good move. Add Ty Warren or Jamaal Anderson, and we have a vastly improved defense in 2011.

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 04:24 PM
http://apracticalguidetoracism.com/images/missive12_bunkley.jpg

DTs whose necks are bigger than their heads = some kind of win.

If only he still looked like that.

Love trading for a fat, unmotivated malcontent underachiever.

Somebody motivate him with a tub of cheetos or something. Or hey, he's a FA after the season right? That could help.

C'mon contract year beast-out...as long as we don't pay him top dollar for it later. :tsk:

Giving up a draft pick for 1 year of a workout warrior bust: interesting solution to our DT problem. Fox knows what guys work in his system - hopefully Bunkley turns out to be one of them.

~G

I saw that guy look like that at the combine and knew we just had to draft him..

Would did we get instead? a head case..

Saw him run the 40 with a short shirt on not an once of fat on the stomach jiggling around....

Lets just hope his knees can make him a worthwhile pick while we (hopefully) draft his replacement this coming draft..

G_Money
08-01-2011, 04:26 PM
I still don't remember him being consistently great against the run, otherwise he'd still be on the Eagles. They demoted him then booted him off the team, basically.

I shouldn't complain - he's instantly the best DT here, so I hope Fox can coach him up and make him a consistent, run-stopping beast.

~G

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Bunkley never panned out as a pass rusher, but he's very solid against the run, which is what this defense needs. John Fox's defenses need to be stout up the middle, so that the edge rushers can make an impact. This is a good move. Add Ty Warren or Jamaal Anderson, and we have a vastly improved defense in 2011.

IMO if your DT is getting a lot of sacks your in trouble with stopping the run.. Not many Warren Sapps out there..

Give me a run stuffer any day and someone that can collapse the pocket from the front and you will get lots of sacks by others..

BigDaddyBronco
08-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Looks like it was his elbow, not a knee. Dislocated it last year. G is right, he was demoted and they were not happy about his run defense and Philly's defense last year was not good against the run.

Basically, he didn't pan out as a stud DT for them, but he is still better than what we have and might be able to get better.

Tned
08-01-2011, 04:31 PM
So Sayeth the GOAT:

RT @johnelway: Added DL Brodrick Bunkley from Philadelphia in exchange for a 2013 draft pick.

underrated29
08-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Hopefully its no better than a 4th. Since its a 2013, it would make sense that its higher than a 5th this year....

Come on Brod. Get Some!

Tned
08-01-2011, 04:35 PM
This is from a Brown's beat reporter:

RT @MaryKayCabot: Brodrick Bunkley refused to report to Browns after trade, Eagles GM tells reporters.

Chidoze
08-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I like it. He'll contribute and improve the DL. It's a start at least :whoknows:

Traveler
08-01-2011, 04:37 PM
WHOO HOO! I'll take em'!

BroncoStud
08-01-2011, 04:38 PM
In what year? Didn't he lose his starting job because he failed to stop the run and can't rush the passer either?

~G

Failed to stop the run and can't rush the passer :laugh:

Sounds like a keeper.

rationalfan
08-01-2011, 04:40 PM
the question: will he report to denver?

Tned
08-01-2011, 04:41 PM

According to a reporter that covers the Eagles, he has agreed to go to the Broncos.

BroncoStud
08-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Well of course he will, I hear Ellis brought in buffet for catering.

Bugs Baloney
08-01-2011, 04:42 PM
being that he's only 27, maybe the change of scenery and philosophy
will be good for him.

rationalfan
08-01-2011, 04:43 PM
According to a reporter that covers the Eagles, he has agreed to go to the Broncos.

what does that say about the continual sorry state of the browns?

or, was he opposed to playing in the 3-4?

BroncoBowlby 88
08-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm one of the few people who actually likes the way EFX is heading up this off-season. Waiting patiently for players that fit the system, spending their money wisely not throwing it all at a big name free agents. Smart moves, don't us free agency as the means of building a strong team, use the draft to make the core, and young FA to add depth and veterans for a presence in the locker room. This class of free agents wasn't very strong in our positions of need, and the rush to meet roster needs and fix problems spots made a mad rush at average players a hot ticket, Denver played it right!

Bugs Baloney
08-01-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm one of the few people who actually likes the way EFX is heading up this off-season. Waiting patiently for players that fit the system, spending their money wisely not throwing it all at a big name free agents. Smart moves, don't us free agency as the means of building a strong team, use the draft to make the core, and young FA to add depth and veterans for a presence in the locker room. This class of free agents wasn't very strong in our positions of need, and the rush to meet roster needs and fix problems spots made a mad rush at average players a hot ticket, Denver played it right!

agreed....just hoping we don't have to watch Orton this season. :tsk:

SOCALORADO.
08-01-2011, 04:54 PM

Iz youz crazy?!?!?
Not strong in our position of need!?!?! WTF are you on dude!?!?
Brandon Mebane is the best, young 4-3 DT prospect in the NFL!
Barry Cofield can play NT, UT, DE and play them all well in a 4-3!
Cullen Jenkins is one of the best pure disruptors at DT/DE in the NFL!!

All 3 of these DTs are absolute slam dunks. (Jenkins does get injured a bit)
No, this was the FA to go get young pro bowl level talent, and DEN decided to go dumpster diving.

Softskull
08-01-2011, 04:55 PM

Generally I agree. Nothing sexy in FA but good additions to a team that needed alot of additions.

Dzone
08-01-2011, 04:55 PM
swweeet! Wiki already has him listed as a Bronco...He got suspended for one game because he missed a flight due to buying fried chicken for the other linemen..LMao!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodrick_Bunkley

Nomad
08-01-2011, 04:59 PM
swweeet! Wiki already has him listed as a Bronco...He got suspended for one game because he missed a flight due to buying fried chicken for the other linemen..LMao!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodrick_Bunkley

Was it Popeyes!:D

Bugs Baloney
08-01-2011, 04:59 PM
he missed a flight due to buying fried chicken for the other linemen..LMao!

:laugh::elefant::laugh:

Bugs Baloney
08-01-2011, 05:03 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rKvAmdl5y-8/RXVZI29oJMI/AAAAAAAAAAk/GUrxCJLgyac/s320/kfc-hi.jpg

Denver Native (Carol)
08-01-2011, 05:10 PM
They are talking about Bunkley on the fan now, and Stink said that the word is that Bunkley can be good - he just has not had the right coaching.

Bosco
08-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Pretty underwhelmed.

Dzone
08-01-2011, 05:11 PM
"On November 19, 2006, Bunkley was suspended by the Eagles for one game as a result of him missing the team flight to Indianapolis. Bunkley claimed he missed the team flight because he was picking up some fried chicken for the defensive line, as it is a rookie tradition.[2]"
Hahaha...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rKvAmdl5y-8/RXVZI29oJMI/AAAAAAAAAAk/GUrxCJLgyac/s320/kfc-hi.jpg

underrated29
08-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Pretty underwhelmed.

Ryan mcbean says hi

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 05:14 PM
They are talking about Bunkley on the fan now, and Stink said that the word is that Bunkley can be good - he just has not had the right coaching.

JIm Jones in PHL was the best not sure that I buy this..

dogfish
08-01-2011, 05:16 PM

i agree with a ton of what you have to say, but this is just madness. . . . i know you've heard of the boy named suh. . . ;)

the rest of the post was spot-on, though. . . we ain't done shit. . . every year fans resort to bragging about the money we saved when we fail to secure any talent in free agency, but savings never plugged the A gap, and you NEVER hear that talk about how smart the front office was to save money once the fans have actually seen these dudes on the field for a month or two. . . i remember a TON of boasting about how cheap marlon mccree and marquand manuel were in march-- but not one bit in november. . . savings is only beneficial to the franchise if that saved money is used to better the team elsewhere-- it doesn't do you any good on its own. . .

for example: going bargain bin at DT would at least make some marginal kind of sense if we'd signed vontae leach and jonathon joseph. . . but saving money just to save money certainly doesn't help the product on the field. . .

NightTerror218
08-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Iz youz crazy?!?!?

No, this was the FA to go get young pro bowl level talent, and DEN decided to go dumpster diving.

Not when we are sitting horribly close to the cap, we cant get names like that.

Ziggy
08-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Iz youz crazy?!?!?

I think you're right about Mebane, Socal. He was #1 on my wish list for free agents this year. It sounds like the FO went after him, but couldn't reel him in. Denver really doesn't have much going for them right now as far as free agents are concerned. They can't point to a winning team, playoff run, being a favorite to win the division, or even having consistancy in the coaching staff. It's a tough sell right now.

Cofield and Jenkins are both studs with injury histories. While I would take either one in a heartbeat, I can see the FO not wanting to invest big $ on players with a significant injury history. I really hope there's a plan in place here though.

Bosco
08-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Jim Washburn, an excellent D-line coach of Titans fame, apparently didn't think Bunkley was worth keeping around. That worries me.

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Hopefully its no better than a 4th. Since its a 2013, it would make sense that its higher than a 5th this year....

Come on Brod. Get Some!

If the guys becomes a solid starter for us a 4th for 2 years from now he is a steal.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm pretty happy with the past 2 days. Thomas back, Harvey and Bunkley brought in. Now we're talking. Yes, none have them have lived up to potential, but all are still young and hopefully a change of scenery and some good, player-friendly coaches can bring out their best for us... and they were cheap!

If Nunnely, Allen, and Fox can motivate these guys and utilize their strengths, we could have a seriously improved D-line with more weapons than just Doom. I like it!

Traveler
08-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Anderson to the Colts per PFT.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-01-2011, 05:28 PM
ZERO risk for both he and Harvey. Calculated risks which could pan out w/ changes of scenery. If not, there is the door and we're really no worse off. Don't see how anyone can really be too upset here.

Bugs Baloney
08-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Anderson to the Colts per PFT.

BOOOOOOO :protest:

dogfish
08-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Jim Washburn, an excellent D-line coach of Titans fame, apparently didn't think Bunkley was worth keeping around. That worries me.

yea, it's bunk to suggest that the eagles didn't coach the guy up right. . . philly's had an excellent coaching staff for a decade or more. . . they're one of the better draft and develop organizations in the league-- night and day different from denver in that regard. . .

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 05:34 PM
yea, it's bunk to suggest that the eagles didn't coach the guy up right. . . philly's had an excellent coaching staff for a decade or more. . . they're one of the better draft and develop organizations in the league-- night and day different from denver in that regard. . .

I agree they are great at coaching BUT losing Jim JOnes has to have hurt them..

BroncoBowlby 88
08-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Iz youz crazy?!?!?

We would have spent way to much money on any of these guys. Mebane was never leaving Seattle, and his production has seen a decline lately and his price was to high. Cofield plays his best football in a 3-4 and the switch would have made the season a risk and possible bust. And Bunkley is a better run stuffer and had more tackles last season than Jenkins. None of these players were slam dunks. Denver is not throwing money at just anyone they are being select in who they pick up, and spending money where it counts, like Von Miller, Champ Bailey, and Doom. There is not enough cash to run around like Dan Snyder and just be ignorant about bringing in big names.instead bring in players who help the system, and who can be brought in for a cheaper price.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-01-2011, 05:39 PM
I agree they are great at coaching BUT losing Jim JOnes* has to have hurt them..

*Jim Johnson*

CoachChaz
08-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Of all the guys we were linked to...this would have been my last choice. Thomas and Vick will be much better than this unmotivated waste of space

dogfish
08-01-2011, 05:40 PM
ZERO risk for both he and Harvey. Calculated risks which could pan out w/ changes of scenery. If not, there is the door and we're really no worse off. Don't see how anyone can really be too upset here.

because those roster spots could have been filled with quality vets without breaking the bank, or talented rookies instead of a complete and total bust like derrick harvey?

i don't hate taking a chance on a player like jamaal anderson, bunkley, amobi okoye or whoever-- but you're not exactly maximizing your chance of success when you fill your roster with a bunch of long odds reclamation projects instead of good players, or young talents with better odds of becoming good players. . . personally, i'm going to really struggle watching derrick harvey and marcus thomas, knowing we could have had players like marcel dareus, JJ watt, cameron jordan, steven paea etc. . . or brandon mebane. . .

naturally i hope it works out, but the league-wide return rate on former first round busts has never been very good. . .

like i said in another thread-- for every derrick harvey or okoye we can bring in, there's a team out there trying to get something out of tim crowder or jarvis moss. . .

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 05:42 PM
*Jim Johnson*

thanks had a neighbor that was Jim Jones and he keeps popping up from time to time..

BUT this guy was the Eagles defense, heart and sould. replacing him is like trying to replace Lombardi..

SmilinAssasSin27
08-01-2011, 05:43 PM
because those roster spots could have been filled with quality vets without breaking the bank, or talented rookies instead of a complete and total bust like derrick harvey?

i don't hate taking a chance on a player like jamaal anderson, bunkley, amobi okoye or whoever-- but you're not exactly maximizing your chance of success when you fill your roster with a bunch of long odds reclamation projects instead of good players, or young talents with better odds of becoming good players. . . personally, i'm going to really struggle watching derrick harvey and marcus thomas, knowing we could have had players like marcel dareus, JJ watt, cameron jordan, steven paea etc. . . or brandon mebane. . .

naturally i hope it works out, but the league-wide return rate on former first round busts has never been very good. . .

like i said in another thread-- for every derrick harvey or okoye we can bring in, there's a team out there trying to get something out of tim crowder or jarvis moss. . .

But if they appear to be THAT bad, they'll take nobody's roster spot. They'll be gone in camp. If they show a glimpse, we get a steal. I was partial to getting a DT in the draft too, but we didn't. I doubt Fox passed on a draft DT because he wanted Bunkley and Harvey. He had to have a plan going in...and apparently it didn't appease us on the outside. Doesn't mean it'll necessarily be incorrect in the long run.

G_Money
08-01-2011, 05:45 PM

Not upset - it's just the same old, same old.

"We traded for all these past top draft picks from the Browns who are injury prone or attitude-challenged, our DL issues are solved."

"We drafted a bunch of DL early in the draft with issues, not to worry. Solved our problem."

"We picked up a bunch of free agents to fix our DT woes, including some former monsters on their last legs. DT problems are solved."

"We added some 3rd tier guys and washouts from other orgs who were not worth it for their other organizations to keep, and will be scouring the waiver wire to strengthen the DL rotation with somebody else's 65th man. Our DT problems are solved."

Some of us were just hoping we were going to add a monster DT or two from one of the better-looking DT draft classes in recent years. When that failed, we wanted proven DTs in the prime of their careers with many productive years ahead of them, that's all. We haven't tried that yet, and it would have been a nice change, since several were on the market and all.

Maybe next year. :salute: Til then, may this dumpster dive work out better than the previous ones!

~G

GEM
08-01-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm pretty happy with the past 2 days. Thomas back, Harvey and Bunkley brought in. Now we're talking. Yes, none have them have lived up to potential, but all are still young and hopefully a change of scenery and some good, player-friendly coaches can bring out their best for us... and they were cheap!

If Nunnely, Allen, and Fox can motivate these guys and utilize their strengths, we could have a seriously improved D-line with more weapons than just Doom. I like it!

A defensive coach we haven't seen the likes of in how long? I mean when all of your coaches ignore the defense and think that they can just outscore the other team instead of stopping the other team, what kind of environment is that for our defensive players? I agree that perhaps we have the coaches in place to get the best out of some of these guys.

underrated29
08-01-2011, 05:48 PM

"We traded for all these past top draft picks from the Browns who are injury prone or attitude-challenged, our DL issues are solved."

"We drafted a bunch of DL early in the draft with issues, not to worry. Solved our problem."

"We picked up a bunch of free agents to fix our DT woes, including some former monsters on their last legs. DT problems are solved."

"We added some 3rd tier guys and washouts from other orgs who were not worth it for their other organizations to keep, and will be scouring the waiver wire to strengthen the DL rotation with somebody else's 65th man. Our DT problems are solved."

Some of us were just hoping we were going to add a monster DT or two from one of the better-looking DT draft classes in recent years. When that failed, we wanted proven DTs in the prime of their careers with many productive years ahead of them, that's all. We haven't tried that yet, and it would have been a nice change, since several were on the market and all.

Maybe next year. :salute: Til then, may this dumpster dive work out better than the previous ones!

~G

The browncos went like 6 games without letting a team score a TD on them. We also happened to go to the AFCC game that year with them.

Just sayin-they werent all that bad.

G_Money
08-01-2011, 05:50 PM
That's what I'm pinning my hopes on, GEM. I saw Nolan do good work with the junk he was given to work with, so maybe Fox can make this thing functional with scotch tape and balingwire until we can get him a few better players.

~G

Nomad
08-01-2011, 05:50 PM

~G

Very well articulated!! I've been wishing this route for years now, but it's still the same song and dance! All we can do is hope for the best!

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 05:52 PM
The browncos went like 6 games without letting a team score a TD on them. We also happened to go to the AFCC game that year with them.

until they played a real team.. the steelers and IIRC Ben set a playoff game record for 3rd down conversions..

We got our ass kicked in the game AT HOME..

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 05:54 PM

~G

been hoping for stud DT in the draft since about 2000.. IIRC we have never drafted a stud DT that was not injured coming out of college, on day one for as long as I can remember.

G_Money
08-01-2011, 05:55 PM

I don't remember it solving our DL problem. And there was a dude who got fired about a year after that, Larry Coyer, who was very good at the slow-death defenses he ran. Once we ran him off, we fell into an abyss on defense we still haven't climbed out of.

Again, that's why I'm hoping for good coaching to make the difference instead of good talent.

Though talent makes all coaches look better...

~G

cuzz4169
08-01-2011, 05:59 PM
You don't need stud DTs just someone who can hold space & blocks so LBrs can do the job. There are 5 or at best 10 elite DTs in the NFL. Who get sacks and just cause havoc. You don't need those types of players to be successful. Bears always have good defense besides Tommy Harris 2 good yrs name the other DTs. They have guys who get blocked so their stud linebackers can make plays.

Juriga72
08-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Failed to stop the run and can't rush the passer :laugh:

Sounds like a keeper.

Hmmmm Where are the "What a jerk this guy is.. NOT going to where he was traded... How selfish".... Oh wait his name is not Jay Cutler and since he is coming here..all is forgiven?

And yes... the Eagles were terrible last year, with Bunk getting most if not all the blame.

WOW... This is what the Philly fans are saying.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640161&page=2

Why do I have the feeling we are at the poker table trying to figure out which one of the guys is the bad player?

Tned
08-01-2011, 06:03 PM
From Browns reporter:

RT @MaryKayCabot #Browns and Eagles are clarifying the Brodrick Bunkley trade. He reported to the Browns and one of the conditions of the trade wasn't met.

GEM
08-01-2011, 06:04 PM
That's what I'm pinning my hopes on, GEM. I saw Nolan do good work with the junk he was given to work with, so maybe Fox can make this thing functional with scotch tape and balingwire until we can get him a few better players.

~G

I think we just have far too many needs, not enough draft picks and not enough money for big names. I hate it as well, but I do like that there seems to be a care in regards to defense finally. This team really is/was in much worse condition than I thought. I do see some light at the end of this dark tunnel though. I just have a different confidence that we are going in the right direction finally. A confidence that I haven't felt in awhile.

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 06:04 PM
I don't remember it solving our DL problem. And there was a dude who got fired about a year after that, Larry Coyer, who was very good at the slow-death defenses he ran. Once we ran him off, we fell into an abyss on defense we still haven't climbed out of.

Again, that's why I'm hoping for good coaching to make the difference instead of good talent.

Though talent makes all coaches look better...

~G

Coyer was a brillant tactician Given a week to game plan.. Stuffed a lot of defenses in the first quarter and up to half time sometimes.. But once the OC from the other team figured out how to attach his game plan it was all over but the ass kicking..

Lets just hope that the current regime is better..

Denver Native (Carol)
08-01-2011, 06:06 PM
JIm Jones in PHL was the best not sure that I buy this..

I really don't know - Mark is back at ESPN, and he is calling in on the fan, and he said that is what the football guys back there are saying.

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 06:07 PM
You don't need stud DTs just someone who can hold space & blocks so LBrs can do the job. There are 5 or at best 10 elite DTs in the NFL. Who get sacks and just cause havoc. You don't need those types of players to be successful. Bears always have good defense besides Tommy Harris 2 good yrs name the other DTs. They have guys who get blocked so their stud linebackers can make plays.

a great MLB always has a damned fine set of DT in front of them..

I can not think of one that has not had talent in front of them..

Juriga72
08-01-2011, 06:07 PM
A defensive coach we haven't seen the likes of in how long? I mean when all of your coaches ignore the defense and think that they can just outscore the other team instead of stopping the other team, what kind of environment is that for our defensive players? I agree that perhaps we have the coaches in place to get the best out of some of these guys.

GEM...

We HAD that guy two years ago..... Nolan sure seems to have gone onto Miami and "Done did his magic" yet again.... Does it seem co-winkie-dink that some "Never was" all of a sudeen became the NFL sack leader two years in a row, in TWO different cities... yet coached by the same guy?

no... We had the defense guru, just that we had a HC too childish to understand that MAYBE he was right and his 3 and out Offense was killing the team.

Tned
08-01-2011, 06:08 PM
More on failed Browns trade:

MaryKayCabot RT @MaryKayCabot Broderick Bunkley reported to the Browns on Saturday, but the team had some medical concerns, a source said. He was then traded to Denver.

Juriga72
08-01-2011, 06:11 PM

OH sh********************************

Magnificent Seven
08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
The front four would be Dumervil, Vickerson, Bunkley, Ayers or Jarmon

GEM
08-01-2011, 06:15 PM
GEM...

We HAD that guy two years ago..... Nolan sure seems to have gone onto Miami and "Done did his magic" yet again.... Does it seem co-winkie-dink that some "Never was" all of a sudeen became the NFL sack leader two years in a row, in TWO different cities... yet coached by the same guy?

no... We had the defense guru, just that we had a HC too childish to understand that MAYBE he was right and his 3 and out Offense was killing the team.

Exactly and we did well. Then McDumbass went and fired him.

We now have a defensive minded coach (have not had) who has the reigns, a VP who believes in him and a numbers guy who is telling them who we can afford and who we can't.

I am not going to trash guys who have never had a product on the field here. I didn't trash McDaniels until he gave me reason to.

Bosco
08-01-2011, 06:15 PM

~G

I think that at best, we'll get a slightly below average defense this year. You can only use smoke and mirrors on defense for so long before offensive coordinators will pick up on that and expose it.

GEM
08-01-2011, 06:16 PM

So it went from he refused to report to now he reported and the Browns had medical concerns? Pretty big difference there.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-01-2011, 06:18 PM
The front four would be Dumervil, Vickerson, Bunkley, Ayers or Jarmon

I really think they are going to try to kick Jarmon inside to DT. He's a little thicker ~290 and not very tall 6' 2"ish. He played DE in Washington's 3-4 which typically projects a guy inside to 3 tech in the 4-3.

I haven't heard anything about him in the camp reports. Anybody know if he's lining up at DE or DT in drills?

He's even listed as a DT on the official roster...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster.html

Juriga72
08-01-2011, 06:23 PM

We now have a defensive minded coach (have not had) who has the reigns, a VP who believes in him and a numbers guy who is telling them who we can afford and who we can't. I am not going to trash guys who have never had a product on the field here. I didn't trash McDaniels until he gave me reason to.

God I hope so.....

My biggest worry is that they are going to turn Doom back into Cinderfella's stagecoach...

He was a undersized, barely run stopping 4-3 DE... became a TERROR at OLB in a 3-4.... and now. he's a .... lets see... back to undersized 4-3 DE.

Bugs Baloney
08-01-2011, 06:27 PM
God I hope so.....

My biggest worry is that they are going to turn Doom back into Cinderfella's stagecoach...

He was a undersized, barely run stopping 4-3 DE... became a TERROR at OLB in a 3-4.... and now. he's a .... lets see... back to undersized 4-3 DE.

and was he a bust as an undersized 4-3 DE? nope....:shocked:

dogfish
08-01-2011, 06:31 PM
MaryKayCabot RT @MaryKayCabot Broderick Bunkley reported to the Browns on Saturday, but the team had some medical concerns, a source said. He was then traded to Denver.

niiiiiiiice!

Tned
08-01-2011, 06:34 PM
So it went from he refused to report to now he reported and the Browns had medical concerns? Pretty big difference there.

Maybe he has a beard and it breaks Browns rules. I'm sure it doesn't mean he is not fit to play...

topscribe
08-01-2011, 06:34 PM
niiiiiiiice!

+1 to that. It seems so many times we've heard something that would seem
good, then get dumped on by the bad news. I hope this doesn't follow suit . . :tsk:

-----

Dzone
08-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Great, so cleveland rejects him based on what their doctors say, but we are more than happy to give him a job. Nice!!!
Maybe he can hang out with Demarious Thomas, DJ williams and all the other broken wheels in the trainers room.

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 06:46 PM

We now have a defensive minded coach (have not had) who has the reigns, a VP who believes in him and a numbers guy who is telling them who we can afford and who we can't.

I am not going to trash guys who have never had a product on the field here. I didn't trash McDaniels until he gave me reason to.

Guessing that you are not a supervisor or in management..

IF you were then you would know that an ambitious underling can be your death and a cancer on the team.. If you have someone that does not follow YOUR direction then you have to deal with it.. Sit them down make sure they know the facts of life that they report to YOU and IF you tell them you want something done a certain way it has to be done that way..

There is a method to the madness and after hearing what Nolan wanted to do and decided that he did not want to do it The underling needs to do what the boss says..

Other wise you have lots of folks wondering who to follow..

In any organization there can be only one boss.. Nolan did not hire Josh to be the HC he was hired by Josh.. I suspect that nolan needed more downtime before accepting a lower grade job in the NFL he still had HC on his mind.. IMHO

whether Josh was right or wrong that is for Pat and Joe to determine.. Not an underling just doing what they wanted to do..

Not sure why y'all do not get that..

Tned
08-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Guessing that you are not a supervisor or in management..

IF you were then you would know that an ambitious underling can be your death and a cancer on the team.. If you have someone that does not follow YOUR direction then you have to deal with it.. Sit them down make sure they know the facts of life that they report to YOU and IF you tell them you want something done a certain way it has to be done that way..

There is a method to the madness and after hearing what Nolan wanted to do and decided that he did not want to do it The underling needs to do what the boss says..

Other wise you have lots of folks wondering who to follow..

In any organization there can be only one boss.. Nolan did not hire Josh to be the HC he was hired by Josh.. I suspect that nolan needed more downtime before accepting a lower grade job in the NFL he still had HC on his mind.. IMHO

whether Josh was right or wrong that is for Pat and Joe to determine.. Not an underling just doing what they wanted to do..

Not sure why y'all do not get that..

Great post. What I've been saying all along. The NFL needs to hire more middle managers and supervisors as their club presidents and head coaches to take the game to the next level. The Broncos should fire Elway and hire the local Subway manager.

Five dollar... Five dollar... Five dollar Super Bowl!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MOtorboat
08-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Interesting.

Juriga72
08-01-2011, 07:08 PM
and was he a bust as an undersized 4-3 DE? nope....:shocked:

Lets see.....
MVP Defensive player- 17 sack as OLB in 3-4

AVERAGE DE in a 4-3...

Denver Native (Carol)
08-01-2011, 07:14 PM
The Cleveland Browns traded for former Philadelphia Eagles defensive lineman Brodrick Bunkley on Saturday.

But something happened in the past 48 hours that neither the Browns nor Eagles are willing to explain. Instead, Bunkley is now a member of the Denver Broncos after Denver traded an undisclosed draft pick in 2013, leaving Cleveland still thin on the defensive line.

So what happened? Did Bunkley refuse to report to Cleveland? Who knows?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/30080/bunkley-joins-broncos-not-browns

Bugs Baloney
08-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Lets see.....

AVERAGE DE in a 4-3...

12.5 sacks in '07....that's not average

NorCalBronco7
08-01-2011, 07:16 PM
I definitely love this pickup if hes healthy.

It looks like philly didnt want to pay him 1st round money because he was one demisional. Bunkley was drafted because he was great at rushing the passer, but hes not been able to do that in the NFL. Not a big deal to me because hes been solid against the run. Thats all the Broncos need out of our DTs and its a good pickup.

Dzone
08-01-2011, 07:17 PM
training camp fodder...most of these signees wont even be around on sept 12

keithbishop
08-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Naysayers : name 1 time an ex-Browns DL didn't work out when he landed in Denver.

Seriously, though, at least we didn't get another TE. Baby steps....

Chidoze
08-01-2011, 07:21 PM
I wonder if Dawkins being here made it less painful for him... lol

Denver Native (Carol)
08-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Providing Bunkley shows up. Bunkley was officially traded over the weekend to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for a fifth-round pick in the 2012 draft. Bunkley was supposed to show up at the Browns' camp today. He didn't. He is now on his way to Denver. Presumably.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_18595521

MOtorboat
08-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Lets see.....

AVERAGE DE in a 4-3...

Just because Dumervil came into his own as a pass rusher in the 3-4 doesn't mean John Fox is going to change his entire defensive philosophy. I think that's mirrored in the front office's decision to draft Miller.

It's fairly clear that Fox wants speed on the outside, and while a Dumervil is undersized for the weak side defensive end in a traditional 4-3, the position he will most likely line up at in this scheme, it can be compensated for some with D.J. Williams' skill set at WLB. He has a knack for chasing down plays on the backside, and he's a decent size for the position as well.

Though he's obviously not the ideal candidate, I think they want Bunckley to man the mose, lining up on the center's strong side shoulder much of the time. That should allow a smaller guy, say Marcus Thomas, to line up on either side of Bunckley, depending on the situation, and try to get more penetration from the second defensive tackle (think what Warren Sapp did or Osi Umenyiora does from a "DT" position. Then you have Miller on the strong side playing no deeper than two or three yards off the line on most plays. It's almost like a 5-2, and it should maximize Dumervil and Miller on the outside.

It does put pressure on Williams and whoever wins the MLB battle to be able to track down runners in the running game and cover tight ends, or drop into zones. I think we'll see a lot of zone from the WLB/MLB/SS positions. They'll want those three players to be head hunters and the FS to then be the ballhawk. The defense is designed to cause turnovers and is a inherently a lot more aggressive than Shanahan's preferred bend, but don't break string of defensive coordinators. A lot more like the attacking defenses you've seen with the Saints the last few years.

While Denver doesn't quite have the right personnel yet, the idea of a style of defense, as far as aggression, that we haven't seen since Robinson and the Super Bowls is somewhat exciting.

Juriga72
08-01-2011, 07:36 PM

true.. but 5 the next year IS average right?

Bugs Baloney
08-01-2011, 07:44 PM

all i know is we worshiped his "pass rushing" abilities before the transition,

we also know run stopping has not been his strong point as a DE or an OLB correct?

he's a pass rusher, just because he's at OLB doesn't all of a sudden make him

a run stopping world beater...

Juriga72
08-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Just because Dumervil came into his own as a pass rusher in the 3-4 doesn't mean John Fox is going to change his entire defensive philosophy. I think that's mirrored in the front office's decision to draft Miller.

It's fairly clear that Fox wants speed on the outside, and while a Dumervil is undersized for the weak side defensive end in a traditional 4-3, the position he will most likely line up at in this scheme, it can be compensated for some with D.J. Williams' skill set at WLB. He has a knack for chasing down plays on the backside, and he's a decent size for the position as well.

Though he's obviously not the ideal candidate, I think they want Bunckley to man the mose, lining up on the center's strong side shoulder much of the time. That should allow a smaller guy, say Marcus Thomas, to line up on either side of Bunckley, depending on the situation, and try to get more penetration from the second defensive tackle (think what Warren Sapp did or Osi Umenyiora does from a "DT" position. Then you have Miller on the strong side playing no deeper than two or three yards off the line on most plays. It's almost like a 5-2, and it should maximize Dumervil and Miller on the outside.

It does put pressure on Williams and whoever wins the MLB battle to be able to track down runners in the running game and cover tight ends, or drop into zones. I think we'll see a lot of zone from the WLB/MLB/SS positions. They'll want those three players to be head hunters and the FS to then be the ballhawk. The defense is designed to cause turnovers and is a inherently a lot more aggressive than Shanahan's preferred bend, but don't break string of defensive coordinators. A lot more like the attacking defenses you've seen with the Saints the last few years.

While Denver doesn't quite have the right personnel yet, the idea of a style of defense, as far as aggression, that we haven't seen since Robinson and the Super Bowls is somewhat exciting.

Yeah... That does sound as tho they are going in this direction... Of course where do we then put Ayers? Do we end up with two small DE's??? Creating a nightmare scene with tight ends sealing the edge? I'd rather try this out,m and hopefully we can get speed to create edge pressure.

ALL of this will be based upon whether our DT's decide to play. Bunkley was beinf ripped in Philly as "Lazy and overweight"... Kinda Haynesworthy-ish...:)

MOtorboat
08-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Yeah... That does sound as tho they are going in this direction... Of course where do we then put Ayers? Do we end up with two small DE's??? Creating a nightmare scene with tight ends sealing the edge? I'd rather try this out,m and hopefully we can get speed to create edge pressure.

ALL of this will be based upon whether our DT's decide to play. Bunkley was beinf ripped in Philly as "Lazy and overweight"... Kinda Haynesworthy-ish...:)

I guess I forgot to even mention the strong side DE...yeah, that would be Ayers, but he would line up shading the guard's strong side shoulder, or straight up on the RT. He's really not ideal for that position though.

Juriga72
08-01-2011, 07:49 PM
all i know is we worshiped his "pass rushing" abilities before the transition,

we also know run stopping has not been his strong point as a DE or an OLB correct?

he's a pass rusher, just because he's at OLB doesn't all of a sudden make him

a run stopping world beater...

Nope...
As I pointed out in my response to MO... My worry was that just like in 08, they started running at Doom and he got eaten alive out there. YEAH... we had craptastic DT's next to him.. ( hmmmm :) ) and they ran something like 65% of ALL runs ( IIRC... Stats INC had the breakdowns) into Doom's side.

I just hope to hell he gets stuck next a big body who CAN move upfield.

Canmore
08-01-2011, 07:50 PM

That five sack season with that club is hardly a fair assesment of Dumervil's pass rushing ability. He probably should have sat.

Juriga72
08-01-2011, 07:50 PM
I guess I forgot to even mention the strong side DE...yeah, that would be Ayers, but he would line up shading the guard's strong side shoulder, or straight up on the RT. He's really not ideal for that position though.

Yeah... Of course Indy does VERY well with two smallish DE's...!!!!!

Well.. not against the run but by god.... do they meet at the QB often..

I'll take that

CoachChaz
08-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Is Gabe Watson still available?

Bugs Baloney
08-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Nope...
As I pointed out in my response to MO... My worry was that just like in 08, they started running at Doom and he got eaten alive out there. YEAH... we had craptastic DT's next to him.. ( hmmmm :) ) and they ran something like 65% of ALL runs ( IIRC... Stats INC had the breakdowns) into Doom's side.

I just hope to hell he gets stuck next a big body who CAN move upfield.

yep, nope, yep, nope :rolleyes:

Chidoze
08-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Great, so cleveland rejects him based on what their doctors say, but we are more than happy to give him a job. Nice!!!
Maybe he can hang out with Demarious Thomas, DJ williams and all the other broken wheels in the trainers room.
Maybe their thinking is a busted Bunkley is way better than what we currently have.

What we have is just pathetic. The LIONS laugh at the suckfest we have.

MOtorboat
08-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Maybe their thinking is a busted Bunkley is way better than what we currently have.

While I'm getting the joke...the Lions might have the best d-line in the game...

Juriga72
08-01-2011, 08:39 PM

The Lions have the younges and best D-line in the NFC..Imho

I'd KILL to have Suh here
Damn... Did nt see Mo's post..

HORSEPOWER 56
08-01-2011, 08:40 PM

And that was all by himself... Imagine him with just a little help from the other end or the tackle position or even a LB...

In the 3-4 with Nolan, Elvis was moved around but got most of his sacks with his hand in the dirt anyway, rushing as a DE out of the nickle formation on 3rd downs.

I don't think there's going to be too much dropoff for Doom. If anything, if the other team focuses on Doom, then it frees up someone else. Now we actually have another guy who can rush the QB. Sure, roll protection to Doom and Von will make you pay, single up your tackle on Doom so you can leave your TE to chip Von, and Doom will eat your tackle up one on one.

Juriga72
08-01-2011, 08:43 PM
And that was all by himself... Imagine him with just a little help from the other end or the tackle position or even a LB...

In the 3-4 with Nolan, Elvis was moved around but got most of his sacks with his hand in the dirt anyway, rushing as a DE out of the nickle formation on 3rd downs.

I don't think there's going to be too much dropoff for Doom. If anything, if the other team focuses on Doom, then it frees up someone else. Now we actually have another guy who can rush the QB. Sure, roll protection to Doom and Von will make you pay, single up your tackle on Doom so you can leave your TE to chip Von, and Doom will eat your tackle up one on one.

Imagine Doom and Mathews III in that 3-4.... god I would pay to see that

BeefStew25
08-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I agree they are great at coaching BUT losing Jim JOnes has to have hurt them..

His workouts were a total killer I heard.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JzGTw-4W0Q8/TbYuf-iLc7I/AAAAAAAACrg/kewYR2kNQ9w/s400/2008-11-18%2BJonestown%2B01.jpg

MOtorboat
08-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Imagine Doom and Mathews III in that 3-4.... god I would pay to see that

The Matthews crap again?

If he was such a known commodity, he would have been drafted Top 5, and Denver wouldn't have had a chance to draft him. Get over it.

HammeredOut
08-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Bunkley and Warren, spell instant run stop. With KC, and Oakland the Broncos have little to no choice but to upgrade with either Tackle.

SoCalImport
08-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Here's a little about the ELBOW (not knee) injury that ended Bunkley's season last year.

http://www.csnphilly.com/10/12/10/Eagles-Get-Good-News-on-Bunkleys-Elbow-I/landing_eagles.html?blockID=330132&feedID=692

Dzone
08-01-2011, 10:26 PM
heres clevelands side of the story on why the Bunkley deal fell thru.
http://dawgpounddaily.com/2011/08/01/brodrick-bunkley-will-not-be-a-cleveland-browns-after-all/

SoCalImport
08-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Yeah. I'll love this move as long as he's healthy. I want to see that he's passed a physical (preferably not performed by the Greek)

horsepig
08-01-2011, 10:38 PM

From my perspective this was the draft class the Denver Broncos angels ordered up just for us. The best group od DTs ever and what do we need WORST? DTs. Fix problems at safety and RT in free agency, not DT.

Next year is the year of the QB. We will probably need one so bad we're wetting our collective pants! Broncos draft at #3, DT from Appodocca State Veternary School in the Virgin Islands, 5'10", 275 lbs. Runs a 6.9 40. Has short arms and doesn't even really know what football is.

From the FO: "We know we had a shot at Luck, but we really need a DT. This guy doesn't sound like much on paper, since, of course he 28 and has been a career curler, but we think we make a frikkin sow's ear into a stupid, sslow, fat, ineffective DT. Thank you very much.".

Sorry, I'm just pissed!

bcbronc
08-01-2011, 10:42 PM
I like this move, relative to the position we're in and what's available at DT. Looks like we'll go into this season throwing a bunch of shit at the wall and hope some sticks. We don't need to have dominant DTs that consistently blow up plays as long as the two of them can tie up three blockers, get some push vs pass and stuff their gaps vs run.

No one is going to confuse us for a good defense yet, but at least there's some shape to it now.

horsepig
08-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Long live the "Triple D Defense", i. e. the Denve donut defense, nothing in the middle.
God save the Queen, the King is dead. Or something like that. Oh, crap, too many brewskies, again!

horsepig
08-01-2011, 10:48 PM
And it's only Monday night and it was 106 here today and I worked outside all day on a piece of equipment and it blew up when we tried it this evening and I have to start all over tomorrow AM. Anybody feel sorry for me? I doubt it, but you should, because I'm applying for a job at Dove Valley. Haahhaaaaha!

MileHiWildcat
08-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Who ?

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 11:50 PM
And it's only Monday night and it was 106 here today and I worked outside all day on a piece of equipment and it blew up when we tried it this evening and I have to start all over tomorrow AM. Anybody feel sorry for me? I doubt it, but you should, because I'm applying for a job at Dove Valley. Haahhaaaaha!

Be sure and include these posts as references.. I'm sure they will make a HUGE impression..:salute::salute:

horsepig
08-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Good idea, JR. Heck, they might think they finally found thr guy that really knows how to fix this thing.

horsepig
08-02-2011, 12:24 AM
My advice to Elway and X; build the toughest, meanest, nastiest big ole butt kickin' OL & DL by the draft. Get yourselves an exciting, win at all costs QB, a playmaker. Keep your recieving corp updated and find a Damned tough' hard knocks running back! Lest we forget, now that we VonDoom, we really might want to pick up a super mean and nasty Mike. The thaaaattas all folks.

atwater27
08-02-2011, 01:00 AM
I like this move. Which is the first in the John Fox/John Elway era. Low risk high potential reward. My excitement about the new team is starting to churn.

Chidoze
08-02-2011, 02:49 AM
While I'm getting the joke...the Lions might have the best d-line in the game...
I know this, and they have been and still are among the worst teams in the league.

But they seem to know what to do when it comes to building a tough interior DL

Meanwhile the Broncos have....Bunkley and Thomas. Joy.

Chidoze
08-02-2011, 02:52 AM
The Lions have the younges and best D-line in the NFC..Imho

I'd KILL to have Suh here
Damn... Did nt see Mo's post..
I wouldnt go as far as the BEST in the NFC. Anybody would take Suh, Fairley is unproven to this point but could be a tough counterpart to Suh.

The point is, the Lions, one of the worst teams in the NFL, have a better interior DL than the Broncos. That bugs me.

Juriga72
08-02-2011, 07:59 AM
I wouldnt go as far as the BEST in the NFC. Anybody would take Suh, Fairley is unproven to this point but could be a tough counterpart to Suh.

The point is, the Lions, one of the worst teams in the NFL, have a better interior DL than the Broncos. That bugs me.

Don't forget VAndenbosch...(Sp) Its just that the Lions have the worst set of Linebackers, Safties, and Corners too...:)

Heck... they had more 4th quarter collapses last year than... we did. AND still won 6 games

MileHighCrew
08-02-2011, 08:04 AM

The Lions have spent 2 high first round picks and a big time free agent signing on their interior D line. They should have one of the better lines in the entire NFL.

Juriga72
08-02-2011, 08:39 AM
The Lions have spent 2 high first round picks and a big time free agent signing on their interior D line. They should have one of the better lines in the entire NFL.

Detroit had 44 sacks last year.....

Their D-line had 40 of them.....

Their tackle positions had 20 sacks.....

WOW....

atwater27
08-02-2011, 11:00 AM

We should have been following their example on the interior D line. Instead we got major injury risk and unneeded Bey Bey, overrated and unneeded Knowshawn, possibly one of the worst QB busts of all time in the uber reach pick on Tebow, horribly underperforming Ayers and ass clown caliber reach/bust Alphonso Smith.... The new regime has ignored our biggest need in the draft as well, leaving several great prospects on the board to get an outside linebacker. while further ignoring the position in the second and 3rd round again.

This is why Detroit has a giant green arrow going up next to their stock and we have a giant red arrow going down next to ours.

TXBRONC
08-02-2011, 11:32 AM
His knees are why I am tempering my enthusiasm.

I hope this is nothing Robertson.

TXBRONC
08-02-2011, 11:35 AM
So Sayeth the GOAT:

What round or is that to be determined latter?

NightTerror218
08-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I am hoping we get some competent D-Line players and then we can draft some next year. From what I have seen EFX will take the best player on the board, no matter the position. Which on a team with lack of pro bowl talent, over time it will start to add up. But if we have a competent defense to start with it will start to build to our depth and help out.

TXBRONC
08-02-2011, 11:48 AM

Dumervil was playing injuried iirc. In fact I think it was a broken thumb. Besides that who else could even get to the quarterback that year?

HammeredOut
08-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Detroit had 44 sacks last year.....

Their D-line had 40 of them.....

Their tackle positions had 20 sacks.....

WOW....

Suh and Nick Fairley. I think they will be the first pair of defensive tackles in the probowl since the both pat and kevin williams did it in consecutive years 06 ,07 ,08

I am a fan of this defensive line. Think they call themselves the silver crush.

Dzone
08-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Hugh Douglas on 1043 is being interview by alfred and stink and he is a huge Brodrick Bunckley fan...said it was the philadelphia stiffled Bunckley and he is a beast with huge talent.

Dzone
08-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Philadelphia just signed ryanb harris

SmilinAssasSin27
08-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Where the hell is Philly getting all this money?

TXBRONC
08-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Where the hell is Philly getting all this money?

I'll bet that's the same question that Reid asked his son before he was arrested for selling drugs.

Just kidding. :behindsofa:

Juriga72
08-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Suh and Nick Fairley. I think they will be the first pair of defensive tackles in the probowl since the both pat and kevin williams did it in consecutive years 06 ,07 ,08

I am a fan of this defensive line. Think they call themselves the silver crush.

How's this for a balanced D- line

Ends- 20 sacks

Tackles- 20 sacks

AND now they add Fairley to this...

"Dear Denver Bronco Coaching Staff.... THIS is how you build a defense"

SmilinAssasSin27
08-02-2011, 06:36 PM
John Fox got to a SB on a solid defense which had Julius Peppers. Maybe he thinx Miller is his Julius.

NorCalBronco7
08-02-2011, 07:02 PM
John Fox got to a SB on a solid defense which had Julius Peppers. Maybe he thinx Miller is his Julius.

LTs a better example.

Juriga72
08-02-2011, 07:58 PM
LTs a better example.

Peppers has been the best DE in the last 15-20 years..IMHO. Did you see what he did single handed in Chicago this year?

SmilinAssasSin27
08-02-2011, 08:02 PM
LTs a better example.

Did Fox coach LT?

Slick
08-02-2011, 08:13 PM

That whole d line was nasty. Peppers, Buckner, Jenkins and Mike Rucker...hopefully he builds a d line like that in Denver

NorCalBronco7
08-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Peppers has been the best DE in the last 15-20 years..IMHO. Did you see what he did single handed in Chicago this year?

Did Fox coach LT?

I was think of Strahan.

Tned
08-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Some info out of Philly via Tweets from Cecil Lammey about Bunkley:

RT @cecillammey: #eagles source told me the following about new #broncos DT Broderick Bunkley - played thru injury all of last yr, led to his ineffectivness

RT @cecillammey: #eagles source said Bunkley showed real flashes earlier in his career, strong against the run, not much of a pass rusher

RT @cecillammey: #eagles said part of his problem was the system in PHI, great functional strength

SOCALORADO.
08-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Some info out of Philly via Tweets from Cecil Lammey about Bunkley:

I actually like the Bunkley signing. Of course, signing a still warm body out of the morgue to play DT would be an upgrade in DEN these days.

TXBRONC
08-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Hopefully Bunkley's issues were scheme and injury and not talent. We'll soon find out.

T.K.O.
08-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Elway accidentally called him "Broderick Bunknee:laugh:" on the radio yesterday

Juriga72
08-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I was think of Strahan.

I never saw Strahan chase down Vick from behind....LOL I DID see Peppers do that tho.
Either way... Having Peppers on his defense made it tons easier on Fox. Lets hope Miller has the same kind of impact

Ziggy
01-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Bump-

I don't think that anyone who watched the Broncos play this season was disappointed in Broderick. This cat needs to be re-signed.

dogfish
01-17-2012, 05:15 PM
hey ziggy, now go bump the ty warren thread. . . . :lol:

GEM
01-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Bunkley was my dad's favorite player this year. He did pretty good. Definitely needs to be resigned.

dogfish
01-17-2012, 05:26 PM
he absolutely needs to be re-signed. . . whether we make him a preemptive offer (and whether it's a fair one) should go a long way towards letting us know if the FO is serious about competing this year, or more concerned about saving shekels like they were last year. . .

Elevation inc
01-17-2012, 06:33 PM
he was the best run stuffing DT in the league period....in either scheme.....lock him up long term as our NT get a pass rush threat at UT in the draft or FA, rotate Warren and Thomas in and call it a day......

dogfish
01-17-2012, 06:50 PM
he was the best run stuffing DT in the league period....in either scheme.....lock him up long term as our NT get a pass rush threat at UT in the draft or FA, rotate Warren and Thomas in and call it a day......

i'd release warren and give that money to somebody that might actually suit up this year. . .

topscribe
01-17-2012, 07:00 PM

With Bunkley, Thomas, Warren, McBean, and Vickerson, it would seem the
Broncos would have a decent rotation. While it would be nice to bring in a
young, fresh DT, I believe that rotation might help to make them more
comfortable to address the secondary and RB?

Elevation inc
01-17-2012, 10:14 PM
With Bunkley, Thomas, Warren, McBean, and Vickerson, it would seem the
Broncos would have a decent rotation. While it would be nice to bring in a
young, fresh DT, I believe that rotation might help to make them more
comfortable to address the secondary and RB?

Mcbean and possibly Thomas I dont think will be back.....

topscribe
01-17-2012, 10:19 PM

That would seem to be a problem unless they have some pretty good players in mind . . .

bcbronc
01-17-2012, 10:23 PM

I'd like Thomas back. He made some plays, and should be even better his second year back at DT.

McBean...I wanted him cut real bad last offseason. He didn't completely suck this year, but lost steam as the season wore on, so I'm pretty indifferent on him. I don't really want him back, but I'm not calling for his expulsion either.

Are both these guys FAs?

Ziggy
01-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Yup

Elevation inc
01-18-2012, 05:29 PM
I'd like Thomas back. He made some plays, and should be even better his second year back at DT.

McBean...I wanted him cut real bad last offseason. He didn't completely suck this year, but lost steam as the season wore on, so I'm pretty indifferent on him. I don't really want him back, but I'm not calling for his expulsion either.

Are both these guys FAs?

Im fine with thomas back as well. Mcbean can get cut and we can replace him with a talented young UT from the draft

Bunkley/Warren will probally start next year with Thomas and vickerson backing them up in heavy rotation, thats pretty solid actually....we just need a young pass rush threat in there as well...

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2012, 06:18 PM

still unhappy w/ the moves?

dogfish
01-18-2012, 06:21 PM
still unhappy w/ the moves?

i still wish we'd signed mebane, if that's what you mean. . .

:D

i'm obviously glad bunkley worked out, but it doesn't do us much good if we don't re-sign him. . . and i still wish we wouldn't have wasted money on ty warren. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2012, 06:24 PM
i still wish we'd signed mebane, if that's what you mean. . .

:D

i'm obviously glad bunkley worked out, but it doesn't do us much good if we don't re-sign him. . . and i still wish we wouldn't have wasted money on ty warren. . .

I love Mebane, but Seattle was never letting him go. They know what they have.

Ty could still contribute for us in 2012. Just like last year, no real risk.

dogfish
01-18-2012, 06:42 PM
I love Mebane, but Seattle was never letting him go. They know what they have.

Ty could still contribute for us in 2012. Just like last year, no real risk.

no risk if they're looking at him as a rotational guy-- notable risk if they pencil him in as a starter and don't have a real solid plan B on the roster, IMO. . . naturally i'll be pleased if he can contribute something, but the guy hasn't played football in over two years-- i hope they aren't counting on him heavily. . .

D-line's gonna be pretty interesting with bunkley, marcus thomas, jason hunter and derrick harvey all hitting free agency. . . i am going to TRY to trust the staff when we most likely go into the season with more spare parts on the line, given that they got an adequate performance out of this year's spare parts. . . it isn't easy for me, though-- i'm a huge believer in building strong lines, relying on a bunch of vet castoffs and the like makes me nervous. . . frankly, i think we would have been in the shitter this year if bunk didn't regain his form. . .

this was a great year, but it doesn't mean everything's fixed and we can just rest on our laurels. . . now we gotta go out and do it again next year for it to really mean something. . . i devoutly hope the front office doesn't feel like we've "arrived"-- this roster still needs plenty of work if we're going to be a consistent contender. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2012, 06:44 PM
no risk if they're looking at him as a rotational guy-- notable risk if they pencil him in as a starter and don't have a real solid plan B on the roster, IMO. . . naturally i'll be pleased if he can contribute something, but the guy hasn't played football in over two years-- i hope they aren't counting on him heavily. . .

D-line's gonna be pretty interesting with bunkley, marcus thomas, jason hunter and derrick harvey all hitting free agency. . . i am going to TRY to trust the staff when we most likely go into the season with more spare parts on the line, given that they got an adequate performance out of this year's spare parts. . . it isn't easy for me, though-- i'm a huge believer in building strong lines, relying on a bunch of vet castoffs and the like makes me nervous. . . frankly, i think we would have been in the shitter this year if bunk didn't regain his form. . .

this was a great year, but it doesn't mean everything's fixed and we can just rest on our laurels. . . now we gotta go out and do it again next year for it to really mean something. . . i devoutly hope the front office doesn't feel like we've "arrived"-- this roster still needs plenty of work if we're going to be a consistent contender. . .

It was a surprising year, not sure if I'd call it great though. I think if we can keep Bunkley and Hunter, we'll be OK. Thomas is very replacable. Harvey didn't work out. We sign a FA, draft 1 or 2 and hope Ty can fit the rotation. I do trust what Fox can do w/ a Dline.

NightTerror218
01-18-2012, 07:10 PM
All i have to say on this topic is pay the man!!!!!!!!!

SOCALORADO.
01-19-2012, 09:46 AM
All i have to say on this topic is pay the man!!!!!!!!!

YES, yes and yes. Pay the man, dammit.

And then draft this guy in the 2nd.

http://www.4malamute.com/images/alameda.jpg
http://media.spokesman.com/picture_story_item_images/SRX_WSU_Apple_7_t940.jpg?e9219e083a78a4429a18d28d8 a24b72ce48bf775
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000XKZsf9Zwuzc/s/860/860/Apple-Cup-2011-0835.jpg
http://uwfootball.sportspressnw.com/files/2011/01/IMG_4257.jpg
http://www.heraldnet.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DH&Date=20110811&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=708119939&Ref=AR&MaxW=306&MaxH=296
http://media.monstersandcritics.com/galleries/2712556_37208/PGS-00272155085.jpg

CoachChaz
01-19-2012, 09:57 AM
He wont be there at 57

SOCALORADO.
01-19-2012, 10:04 AM
He wont be there at 57

YaWn. :coffee: