PDA

View Full Version : The real competition in Denver could be Quinn vs. Tebow

T.K.O.
08-01-2011, 02:27 PM
The real competition in Denver could be Quinn vs. Tebow
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 1, 2011, 3:12 PM EDT

APWe know there is a school of thought in Miami that says Kyle Orton could still be traded there. It makes a lot of sense.

In the meantime, Orton could be convincing the coaching staff in Denver that he’s the right man to lead the Broncos. Mike Klis of the Denver Post writes that Tim Tebow is no longer getting any snaps with the No. 1 offense.

“Tim Tebow is in a serious quarterback competition all right. He and Brady Quinn are neck and neck in the battle for the No. 2 quarterback spot,” Kils writes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/01/the-real-competition-in-denver-could-be-quinn-vs-tebow/

LTC Pain
08-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Just read that. One poster had a curious view with Quinn apprently looking pretty good in camp so far (neck-neck with Tebow). What if the Broncos trade Tebow instead of Orton. Let Orton QB the Broncos this year with Quinn backing him up. Then the Broncos go after a franchise QB in the 2012 draft. Interesting.

topscribe
08-01-2011, 02:39 PM
At 3:10 of this interview on "102.3 The Ticket," recorded just today (8/1), Les &
JoJo and Matthew Willis all agree that Kyle Orton is "winning the quarterback
battle handily."

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=737&f=132251

-----

scott.475
08-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Since he has been a Bronco, hasn't Orton always won the training camp competition fairly easily? I ask that as an honest question, I don't recall him ever really being at risk in training camp.

chazoe60
08-01-2011, 03:00 PM
We all know Kyle will look good in camp with no contact, what will he do in real games? How does he fare with actual pressure? I think we all know the answer to that question.

Give me a break with the crap about how good he looks in practice. He stinks when we need him most, and this is not opinion it is fact. Can he change? Yes. Do I have much faith that he will? No. Will any of this matter next year? No. If Orton starts for the majority of the season (I won't say all season because when has Orton ever finished an entire season as a starter?) then Tebow wasn't even good enoughto beat out a scrub so we will be drafting a QB either way.

stway
08-01-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm an Orton fan, but I'd rather see him traded, and let Tebow start, aka, let the Andrew Luck dream begin.

SOCALORADO.
08-01-2011, 03:03 PM
OK.. for f****** crying out loud, lets just do this.

Orton and a 3rd traded to CIN for Carson Palmer.
Tebow traded to MIA for a 5th or he stays and plays H-Back.
Quinn is the back up.
Everone happy now? F*** me! This is pathetic.

BORDERLINE
08-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Dude I swear from all the stuff we heard last year Kyle Orton does practice well, But when the real games are meant to be played he laid eggs all over the field. We needed 3 yards for a first he gave us 2. I'm just about done with him name him the back-up let Tebow get his reps if this year goes anything like last year then i guess Tebow just isn't the guy but i can't stand hearing Orton is winning this battle when he only won 3 games last year. let's see what Tebow has and give him a shot. How is he suppose to get better throwing to U.F.A. Let him mix it up with Lloyd and VS Champ. This just pisses me off

topscribe
08-01-2011, 03:04 PM
OK.. for f****** crying out loud, lets just do this.

Orton and a 3rd traded to CIN for Carson Palmer.
Tebow traded to MIA for a 5th or he stays and plays H-Back.
Quinn is the back up.
Everone happy now? F*** me! This is pathetic.

Deep breaths, SoCal. Deep breaths. :sad:

-----

SOCALORADO.
08-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Deep breaths, SoCal. Deep breaths. :sad:

-----

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/33771370_ed11c2fd5a.jpg

Northman
08-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Im not really sure if that is a good sign or not. If Tebow is struggling and Quinn is just BARELY keeping pace with him that doesnt seem to be a great thing. lol

topscribe
08-01-2011, 03:08 PM
All I know is what is actually happening: Orton is getting all the snaps with the
#1 offense, and Tebow and Quinn are splitting snaps with the units behind it.

-----

Agent of Orange
08-01-2011, 03:10 PM
The real competition in Denver could be Quinn vs. Tebow
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 1, 2011, 3:12 PM EDT

APWe know there is a school of thought in Miami that says Kyle Orton could still be traded there. It makes a lot of sense.

In the meantime, Orton could be convincing the coaching staff in Denver that he’s the right man to lead the Broncos. Mike Klis of the Denver Post writes that Tim Tebow is no longer getting any snaps with the No. 1 offense.

“Tim Tebow is in a serious quarterback competition all right. He and Brady Quinn are neck and neck in the battle for the No. 2 quarterback spot,” Kils writes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/01/the-real-competition-in-denver-could-be-quinn-vs-tebow/

Is Orton getting tackled in practice? Its the same every year with Orton.

Nomad
08-01-2011, 03:10 PM
rollerino1 says:
Aug 1, 2011 3:18 PM
I think John Elway is an orange and blue time bomb waiting to blow up the front office.

_______

This person says Elway's gonna blow up the FO anyway, so why not now!lol

BroncoStud
08-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Since he has been a Bronco, hasn't Orton always won the training camp competition fairly easily? I ask that as an honest question, I don't recall him ever really being at risk in training camp.

Yes, then you apply some pressure or get him on a conversion down and he sucks. Arizona didn't want him because he folds like wet paper. They were willing to pay $60 million to an unknown instead of paying Orton a dime.

We look like fools here. Orton is a joke.

BroncoStud
08-01-2011, 03:25 PM
All I know is what is actually happening: Orton is getting all the snaps with the
#1 offense, and Tebow and Quinn are splitting snaps with the units behind it.

-----

Yep, and a lot of good that does the Broncos. :elefant:

I hope John Elway trades Orton for a bag of peanuts to anyone who will take him off our hands so we can move on.

topscribe
08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Yep, and a lot of good that does the Broncos. :elefant:

I hope John Elway trades Orton for a bag of peanuts to anyone who will take him off our hands so we can move on.

Yes, Stud, you've already made that perfectly clear.

But it's a good way to pick up Salutes, isn't it? :D

-----

Dzone
08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Why did Cecil Lemmey say this morning on the radio that Quinn was winning the quarterback competition? Hell, everyone has an opinion...Oh well, let the best man win. So much is going to change over the 4 preseason games, come Sept 12 none of this shit will even matter.
Orton doesnt have the physical structure to survive the pounding of a full NFL season. We already know that.

BroncoTTSB
08-01-2011, 07:25 PM
We all know orton is going to fold half way through the season. Has elway n fox even watched last yrs tape... depressing.. sigh..

NightTerror218
08-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Orton will be taking the 1st team snaps until someone steps up to take that away from him. But Orton is excellent at practice, so we may have to wait until after preseason to figure out who is going to be starting.

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Dude I swear from all the stuff we heard last year Kyle Orton does practice well, But when the real games are meant to be played he laid eggs all over the field. We needed 3 yards for a first he gave us 2. I'm just about done with him name him the back-up let Tebow get his reps if this year goes anything like last year then i guess Tebow just isn't the guy but i can't stand hearing Orton is winning this battle when he only won 3 games last year. let's see what Tebow has and give him a shot. How is he suppose to get better throwing to U.F.A. Let him mix it up with Lloyd and VS Champ. This just pisses me off

keep hearing all of this stuff laying eggs and is a terrible QB under pressure..

While I did not see every game last year the ones I did see Orton was moving the ball and IIRC lead the league in passing at one point and 20 TD's in a season folks is not chopped liver.. considering he did not play all the games..

is he a HOF QB no one says he is..

do we all want to play with a shiny new toy yes almost everyone does.. But the toy has not yet been put together yet and he may not be ready till next year..

I keep hearing the mantra falling down into a fetal position.. it obviously was not in a game I saw so how many times did he do this and what was the other options..

Lets see with a healthy OL and a decent set of RBs and something other than the worst D in the league what teh kid can do..

then y'all get the shiny new toy next year..

Edmonton Bronco Fan
08-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Just read that. One poster had a curious view with Quinn apprently looking pretty good in camp so far (neck-neck with Tebow). What if the Broncos trade Tebow instead of Orton. Let Orton QB the Broncos this year with Quinn backing him up. Then the Broncos go after a franchise QB in the 2012 draft. Interesting.

That's actually not a bad plan.

Probably could get a solid deal for Tebow too. I'm not sold on his abilities at all.

scott.475
08-01-2011, 10:55 PM
keep hearing all of this stuff laying eggs and is a terrible QB under pressure..

While I did not see every game last year the ones I did see Orton was moving the ball and IIRC lead the league in passing at one point and 20 TD's in a season folks is not chopped liver.. considering he did not play all the games..

do we all want to play with a shiny new toy yes almost everyone does.. But the toy has not yet been put together yet and he may not be ready till next year..

I keep hearing the mantra falling down into a fetal position.. it obviously was not in a game I saw so how many times did he do this and what was the other options..

Lets see with a healthy OL and a decent set of RBs and something other than the worst D in the league what teh kid can do..

I think what a lot of people saw, and what I saw, especially on 3rd downs, was an almost panic set in. I know I saw many times where he could have either run for the few needed yards, or missed open receivers, but instead dumped to a well covered check down who was immediately tackled well short of the 1st. Saw that many times, was very frustrating.

You will have to allow some people a little creative latitude in using the "fetal position" metaphor, just writing it out of frustration. I do know that Tebow will certainly have more ability to escape pressure than Orton, who has pretty slow feet.

dunk7
08-01-2011, 11:08 PM

Probably could get a solid deal for Tebow too. I'm not sold on his abilities at all.

As a fellow Edmontonian, you and I are used to our team tanking to get the first overall pick (RNH better be the answer) so I have no reservations about the Broncos doing this to get Luck. I just don't see winning QB's on our roster. I think teams will gameplan better against Tebow and he'll struggle mightily. Orton could be serviceable backup but he isn't a starter (not with his attitude) and I think Quinn could be decent but I think he is shellshocked from his Brown days.

MileHiWildcat
08-01-2011, 11:41 PM

The problem is that Neckbeard craps his pants when things count.

Agent of Orange
08-02-2011, 01:17 PM

That might make sense except for the fact that it's tackle football. What they're doing now is pretend football. What they're doing now, where the QBs are concerned, is more choreography than football.

Agent of Orange
08-02-2011, 01:20 PM
The problem is that Neckbeard craps his pants when things count.

Yeah, it's like in baseball, some guys put on a show in batting practice when theyre throwing 85 mph. But there's a big difference between hitting 85 mph in batting practice and 95 mph in games. No one ever made it into the HOF for what they did in batting practice.

The QB on this roster who has seemed least overwhelmed by 95 mph pitching is Tebow.

NightTerror218
08-02-2011, 01:34 PM

I heard that during yesterdays practice that they were putting pressure on the QBs and Orton kept getting intercepted or threw bad passes and Tebow got several 1st downs and some TDs......Might have been a tweet or another thread I read it.

NightTerror218
08-02-2011, 01:37 PM
As a fellow Edmontonian, you and I are used to our team tanking to get the first overall pick (RNH better be the answer) so I have no reservations about the Broncos doing this to get Luck. I just don't see winning QB's on our roster. I think teams will gameplan better against Tebow and he'll struggle mightily. Orton could be serviceable backup but he isn't a starter (not with his attitude) and I think Quinn could be decent but I think he is shellshocked from his Brown days.

So what is the game plan against Tebow.....protect against his running or his throwing? Which one do you over compensate for? Do you play general defense against both? Do you send more pressure on him to force quick dink and dunks? Do you bring up DBs to prevent dink and dunks and allow a deep throw? He can wing that ball as we saw in Chargers game for the hail mary throws. What do you do?

dunk7
08-02-2011, 11:13 PM
So what is the game plan against Tebow.....protect against his running or his throwing? Which one do you over compensate for? Do you play general defense against both? Do you send more pressure on him to force quick dink and dunks? Do you bring up DBs to prevent dink and dunks and allow a deep throw? He can wing that ball as we saw in Chargers game for the hail mary throws. What do you do?

Protect against his running...force him to throw the ball...heavy pressure with a linebacker or safety spy. Yes, he did have some success winging the ball vs. the Chergers but those are high percentage plays and my guess, wouldn't work for 16 games. Heavy blitz would prevent that from happening as well.

NorCalBronco7
08-02-2011, 11:21 PM

Mix up coverages, force him to stand in the pocket and make throws, blitz!

TXBRONC
08-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Mix up coverages, force him to stand in the pocket and make throws, blitz!

You can do that to a lot of quarterbacks including Orton.

Ravage!!!
08-02-2011, 11:25 PM

Make him throw the ball. He's not good at reading, and not good at throwing. Simply confuse him with moving the safety around.

Its not like teams haven't tried to defend a mobile QB before.

Ravage!!!
08-02-2011, 11:26 PM

Definitely blitz Orton. Make him move his feet in the pocket.

NorCalBronco7
08-02-2011, 11:27 PM

Teams would rather Orton stand in the pocket and make throws? :confused:
The more Orton is forced out the pocket, the worse hes does. Tebows the opposite.

TXBRONC
08-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Teams would rather Orton stand in the pocket and make throws? :confused:
The more Orton is forced out the pocket, the worse hes does. Tebows the opposite.

True but he doesn't handle pressure very well so you blitz him to get him moving.

NorCalBronco7
08-02-2011, 11:48 PM
True but he doesn't handle pressure very well so you blitz him to get him moving.

Well yeah you blitz both, but how you blitz them and call line stunts against Tebow and Orton is going to be different. Sending immediate pressure in the a and b gaps isnt the best idea against Tebow, especially multiple defenders because if Tebow can get outside, he will have an open field. Sending outside pressure against Tebow and forcing him to throw in the pocket and make quick read (which is very hard for younger Qbs) is what teams will more than often do. When Tebow played the Raiders last year, they sent Huff and Branch on TONS of outside blitzes with pretty good success. Also teams spyed Tebow when not blizting (or one guy blizting).

Orton on the other hand Orton will get many more blitzs up the middle and force him to throw the ball quickly, get sacked, tipped, or force a bad throw.

Sinthor
08-03-2011, 12:51 AM
This is so ridiculous. No where have I read, besides from Klis at the DP, that Quinn's doing better than Tebow in camp. The stuff I've read from people watching practices say that Tebow is improved over last year, but Orton is still smoother and bit quicker on the reads. Quinn still has bigger accuracy problems. Which is odd since he has "good mechanics." In any case, we'll see by the end of pre-season. At least this year, if Tebow is the starter or #2 people won't be able to say Quinn is actually better but Tebow's being shown preferred treatment, etc. like they said last year.

Frankly I think there's a good chance Tebow beats Orton out. He was hurt by lack of offseason coaching contact but despite his other activities he still worked out a lot, including with the #1 and #2 receivers. He'll be fine.