PDA

View Full Version : Aim a little higher.....

Superchop 7
08-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Pretty tired of hearing.....we can't.

Tired of hearing about the cap being an issue.

I call B.S.

We can sign talented people.

In fact, before Joe Ellis became "scrooge in charge" we signed talent.

Our payroll has been low for quite a while.

Somebody needs to step up to the plate if they want our money.

MOtorboat
08-01-2011, 12:49 PM
What, you're not excited about Derrick Harvey?

Dear Awater,

I'm starting to get a little worried.

Signed, MO

Lancane
08-01-2011, 01:15 PM
I understand the wanting to build through the draft and have less to do with free agency, but time and time again the league has proven it takes both to field a legitimate contender anymore, as long as the main body of the roster is established through the draft.

What we're looking at and dealing with sadly is the years of neglect to a specific position, under both former regimes and so fans are edgy that the new regime may be somewhat of the same mold. We saw Shanahan neglect the defensive line positions for years as well as the quarterback position. We start to see him change and 'boom' he's gone. McDaniels comes in like a blazing storm and erodes the team like cancer, ridding the organization of some of it's best talent, but it's okay because he drafts some defensive players and is switching to the 3-4, but the damage was done and got worse, he did not even try to replace the quarterback he traded with talent, but with a project quarterback a year later. I've said it before, but if McDouche had drafted Sanchez in his first year instead of Moreno and Ayers, then drafted Dan Williams and Jared Odrick instead of Tebow and Thomas...he'd still be here.

We're so desperate for a decent defensive tackle that Mebane, Branch, Okoye, Warren and so forth seem to be All-Pros', because their better then we are use to at the position. Quite literally if we would have re-signed Thomas and added Branch or Mebane, even Okoye the fans would not be as harsh...well if they got rid of Orton as well, no one cares if we win much this season, but most of us want him gone and gone now. I know it makes little sense the hate there is for him, Jake Plummer didn't even radiate this much hate...but it is what it is. I think it's because we saw what we felt was a legit franchise capable quarterback traded for what is essentially another Trent Dilfer, it would be like the Bills trading Jim Kelley for Rich Gannon.

If Denver really starts focusing on the defensive tackle position and next year gets the team a legit franchise capable quarterback then the fandom would settle down greatly, I just hope that Bowlen and company realize that before it's too late.

MileHiWildcat
08-01-2011, 11:38 PM
New Year - Same Story. Other owners who care about success spend money. Broncos do jack as usual. 3-13 tops this year.

Dzone
08-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Being cheap led to Carolina having the worst record in the NFL. Or was that the fault of John Fox?

IIRC, The Fox hire also had to do with Finances, other coaches were too expensive.

MileHiWildcat
08-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Being cheap led to Carolina having the worst record in the NFL. Or was that the fault of John Fox?

IIRC, The Fox hire also had to do with Finances, other coaches were too expensive.

Guess we will all find out very soon.

titan
08-02-2011, 12:01 AM
I've never been in the "Bowlen is cheap" camp but I am starting to wonder. From Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback column today on the owner/player negotiations:

"I rarely heard of Cincinnati's Mike Brown or Denver's Pat Bowlen in the process; Goodell said Bowlen kept driving home how the players had to understand owners would stay united and fix the economic structure of the game"

Bowlen stayed quiet except when the talk came to money and how the owners weren't getting a fair share.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/01/camps/index.html

Bugs Baloney
08-02-2011, 11:52 AM
New Year - Same Story. Other owners who care about success spend money. Broncos do jack as usual. 3-13 tops this year.

if you think we will be worse than last year...your highly mistaken. :salute:

rationalfan
08-02-2011, 01:37 PM
regarding money and the broncos: remember four-five years ago when the organization was laying off people? i don't think that was bowlen/ellis trying to get ahead of the eventual economic breakdown. and i don't think this franchise is as cashy as some fans want to believe.

rationalfan
08-02-2011, 01:40 PM

yes, because all those years green bay went wild in free agency really helped propel them to the super bowl. (sarcasm, for the literalists).

my take: too many fans are consumed with signing big names. i'd rather see the broncos build through the draft and sign starter-level FAs for reasonable money. you know, build a strong foundation/baseline and hope the draft picks become stars. of course, this is all dependent on making smart draft decisions.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-02-2011, 07:06 PM
yes, because all those years green bay went wild in free agency really helped propel them to the super bowl. (sarcasm, for the literalists).

my take: too many fans are consumed with signing big names. i'd rather see the broncos build through the draft and sign starter-level FAs for reasonable money. you know, build a strong foundation/baseline and hope the draft picks become stars. of course, this is all dependent on making smart draft decisions.

Couldn't agree more. Why overpay for a veteran now who will be gone when we are really ready to compete? Build a team that can grow and mature together. Rent-a-player philosophy never works. Maybe one or 2 when yer on the cusp, but not where we are now.

besides, with the new low cost of rookie deals, it won't crush us financially to have high picks. Not saying I want to suck for picks, but adding an overpaid FA who might make us 7-9 or 9-7 hurts our chances are a real difference maker in the draft.

Now if a YOUNG stud wanted to sign here, THEN I'd take a serious look at him. But not for a slightly above average veteran.