PDA

View Full Version : Don't hold out on Andrew Luck

broncoFan!
08-01-2011, 01:14 AM
You know, I personally believe that no matter what our record this year is (unless we are #1 overall) there is no way we are getting him. Look at John Fox's draft history. He always drafts defense in the first round. Always. The same held true for his first year in Denver despite the smokescreen about the QB dilemma that John Elway put up.

If Kyle Orton starts I predict a 7-9 record. If Tebow starts I predict an 8-8 record or a 9-7 record but we will see. One of the things I applaud Kyle Orton on is that no matter what is thrown at him he keeps an upbeat attitude. He is the type of guy that won't go "Cutler" on you despite a failed trade attempt with Miami *which could be resurrected*.

I was talking at my work with a buddy of mine who is a hardcore Panther's fan. He told me that we will be a run first offense. He said Fox likes to run the ball and 3rd and 13 and he told me sometimes it would work too because they have such an indepth RB core. That makes me excited. It makes me very excited to see us turn away from the pass-happy risk oriented offense that we have been through the Cutler/Orton era to a ground game that can pound it out.

I here rumors that our offensive line is improving. This makes me very encouraged. I don't expect a winning record right away. And if this year is nothing more than an experiment for Tim Tebow so be it. But I want to have something to hang onto & believe in. Something I can go home from the game happy with whether or not it was a win or a loss. I want to feel that Mile High Magic again. I want to see a fire lit under Knowshon's feet and have him run light-feetedly, and have a deep RB/HB/FB combo to blast Satan's spawn *the Raiders* with any given Sunday.

Let's win some games!!!!!!!

I'm excited for this year of football. :defense::defense::salute::salute:

Agent of Orange
08-01-2011, 01:16 AM
I thought this was going to be some spin piece from Mike Klis and, until I clicked the thread, saw no links or quotes and saw that you're a better writer.

broncoFan!
08-01-2011, 01:20 AM
I thought this was going to be some spin piece from Mike Klis and, until I clicked the thread, saw no links or quotes and saw that you're a better writer.

Wow thank you! :D I am actually writing a novel right now that has been post poned. I write in my spare time and might even take a course in college.

Agent of Orange
08-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Wow thank you! :D I am actually writing a novel right now that has been post poned. I right in my spare time and might even take a course in college.

...and I'll just overlook that. ;-)

BTW, I'm not sure its an amazing compliment to say you're a better writer than Klis. But, I will say that you're organization in your first paragraph made it more inviting and easier to read. "Right" and "write" aside, what you say seems credible.

broncoFan!
08-01-2011, 01:24 AM
...and I'll just overlook that. ;-)

Haha fail my bad. Sorry it's pretty late where I come from and writing is tougher at night.

Agent of Orange
08-01-2011, 01:28 AM
Haha fail my bad. Sorry it's pretty late where I come from and writing is tougher at night.

I do that a lot too when its late or when I'm distracted. I usually start screwing up your vs you're... among others.

BTW, just noticed here instead of hear. Oh well...its late.

Stargazer
08-01-2011, 01:29 AM
It depends on the teams drafting ahead of us. If they already have a young QB, trade options will open up. Luck may not be the best QB coming out next year and/or he may not come out and return for his senior season.

Agent of Orange
08-01-2011, 01:31 AM
It depends on the teams drafting ahead of us. If they already have a young QB, trade options will open up. Luck may not be the best QB coming out next year and/or he may not come out and return for his senior season.

Not really. Its not like Luck will fall to us because someone ahead of us is already invested in a young QB. Teams will be offering a kings ransom to trade up.

Stargazer
08-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Not really. Its not like Luck will fall to us because someone ahead of us is already invested in a young QB. Teams will be offering a kings ransom to trade up.

Well, yes you have to offer a ton to trade up. Always has been. I'm more thinking of say, a team like Carolina who just drafted Newton will not take Luck, for example. Which will open up the option to possibly trade up.

Luck can go blow a knee, McGahee style. Or another QB has a spectacular season and rises to the top.

Agent of Orange
08-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Well, yes you have to offer a ton to trade up. Always has been. I'm more thinking of say, a team like Carolina who just drafted Newton will not take Luck, for example. Which will open up the option to possibly trade up.

Luck can go blow a knee, McGahee style. Or another QB has a spectacular season and rises to the top.

I knew what you were saying.

Stargazer
08-01-2011, 01:40 AM
I knew what you were saying.

That's good I think.:laugh:

SoCalImport
08-01-2011, 04:11 AM
I'm gonna laugh if Luck has a sub-par season with his new coach being NOT Harbaugh.

Even if Stanford ends up with a 500 record this season, Luck will be a top 5 pick. It'll just mean that the 2012 draft won't be the Luck Lottery.

BroncoStud
08-01-2011, 05:54 AM
I'll hold out for Luck. RB speed, elite arm strength and accuracy, good decision-making, incredible prospect.

I don't see us winning a lot of games and Elway has a man-crush, I think the chances are adequate we at least get a shot at him.

SOCALORADO.
08-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I'll hold out for Luck. RB speed, elite arm strength and accuracy, good decision-making, incredible prospect.

I don't see us winning a lot of games and Elway has a man-crush, I think the chances are adequate we at least get a shot at him.

Next years crop of QBs is the best in years with 3 legit top 10 picks that could start and win your team games in the NFL right now.
Luck and Barkley are slam dunks. They will both go in the top 3 picks and Landry Jones will go in the top 10. Ryan Lindley from SDSU is also a 1st round prospect. Then you got 2nd rounders like ASUs Nick Foles, BSU's Kellen Moore and MSU's Kirk Cousins.
Next years QB class is loaded.

Anyone who thinks Elway isnt paying close attention to both Luck and Barkley are on crack. Both of these QBs are the best prospects to come out of college in a decade.

atwater27
08-01-2011, 09:25 AM
You know, I personally believe that no matter what our record this year is (unless we are #1 overall) there is no way we are getting him. Look at John Fox's draft history. He always drafts defense in the first round. There is not a coach in this league that would not draft Luck at #1 overall. Even if you were one of maybe 5 teams that have a perfect young Franchise Qb already, drafting Luck and trading him would actually net you more value.Always. The same held true for his first year in Denver despite the smokescreen about the QB dilemma that John Elway put up.

If Kyle Orton starts I predict a 7-9 record. If Tebow starts I predict an 8-8 record or a 9-7 record but we will see.We will not sniff more than 5 wins. We suck. :

Sorry man, I am a realist.

BigDaddyBronco
08-01-2011, 09:33 AM
I haven't seen any dramatic improvement in the talent level on this team, other than maybe in the pass rush dept with Doom back and Miller in the mix. Everything else seems the same. So then it comes down to Fox being a much better coach than McDaniels, what does that buy you? 1 or 2 more wins?

Unless Tebow can play most of the season and he shows the same spark and will to win that he did in the last 3 games of 2010, I see us hovering around 4 to 6 wins. So we might be in the running for Luck.

chazoe60
08-01-2011, 09:45 AM
I have never said anything like this before and I don't particularly care for feeling this way but, I think it would be better for the future of this franchise to go 2-14 with Tebow than to go 6-10 with Orton. At least we could have some answers and be in a position to grab the QB we've long coveted.
This year is so weird with the lockout all but forcing Orton on us, he would have been traded on draft day for sure if not for the lockout IMHO. Couple that with the fact that this next draft is one of the best in decades for QBs. We need to know and the worst thing that could happen for our future is to finish with a record that leaves us drafting 7th or later.

Now the obvious best situation would be Tebor or Quinn starting and seeing us to a 7 or more win season. Then we would have some answers and we could draft a stud DT and push forward with a young QB. The only way Starting Orton helps the future is if he fixes his major issues and leads us to the playoffs, and who really sees that as a possiblity?

BroncoStud
08-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Next years crop of QBs is the best in years with 3 legit top 10 picks that could start and win your team games in the NFL right now.
Luck and Barkley are slam dunks. They will both go in the top 3 picks and Landry Jones will go in the top 10. Ryan Lindley from SDSU is also a 1st round prospect. Then you got 2nd rounders like ASUs Nick Foles, BSU's Kellen Moore and MSU's Kirk Cousins.
Next years QB class is loaded.

Anyone who thinks Elway isnt paying close attention to both Luck and Barkley are on crack. Both of these QBs are the best prospects to come out of college in a decade.

I'm an OU season ticket holder, we do NOT want Landry Jones, he isn't cerebral enough to be an elite NFL QB. I've seen it too often with him.

Other than that, I agree. And sadly, it looks like we'll have NO idea what we have waiting because Orton will start unless he gets hurt. What a joke.

Nomad
08-01-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm gonna laugh if Luck has a sub-par season with his new coach being NOT Harbaugh.

Even if Stanford ends up with a 500 record this season, Luck will be a top 5 pick. It'll just mean that the 2012 draft won't be the Luck Lottery.

I'm sure Luck will be the most watched college QB this year. I know I'll be watching him every chance I get.

And if Luck has a great year, I don't see the #1 team in the draft giving him up regardless of their QB situation. We'll see, college football is a month away:beer: and my youngest sons (8th gr)first game is this Saturday and oldest son (freshmanHS) is in 2 weeks....2-a-days start today.

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Not seeing more than 5 wins As we speak. Might change my mind after seeing some preseason games or unless we find a stud DT somewhere.
But this schedule is brutal this year. IMHO

As for going out and buying another new QB toy let's hope they fix the D first and foremost.

BigDaddyBronco
08-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I have never said anything like this before and I don't particularly care for feeling this way but, I think it would be better for the future of this franchise to go 2-14 with Tebow than to go 6-10 with Orton. At least we could have some answers and be in a position to grab the QB we've long coveted.
This year is so weird with the lockout all but forcing Orton on us, he would have been traded on draft day for sure if not for the lockout IMHO. Couple that with the fact that this next draft is one of the best in decades for QBs. We need to know and the worst thing that could happen for our future is to finish with a record that leaves us drafting 7th or later.

Now the obvious best situation would be Tebor or Quinn starting and seeing us to a 7 or more win season. Then we would have some answers and we could draft a stud DT and push forward with a young QB. The only way Starting Orton helps the future is if he fixes his major issues and leads us to the playoffs, and who really sees that as a possiblity?
I don't see either Orton or Quinn being the long term answer. They might be able to get us more wins than Tebow this year, but they look like journeymen or backup QB's to me. Tebow could be the answer and might up being a Plummer, R. Cunningham, or McNabb type, a guy who can win games and put up numbers, but never is an elite P. Manning type. I would be ok with that, if we have a great defense and solid offense, but I don't see a systematic plan on defense like Philly or Pittsburgh has done in the past with building their DLines through the draft and getting system guys at other spots.

I liked having a system when Shanny was a coach, but wished he would have had one on defense. It seems to make things easier when drafting and developing. I guess we'll see what type of system EFX come up with.

dunk7
08-01-2011, 11:03 AM
I was talking at my work with a buddy of mine who is a hardcore Panther's fan. He told me that we will be a run first offense. He said Fox likes to run the ball and 3rd and 13 and he told me sometimes it would work too because they have such an indepth RB core. That makes me excited. It makes me very excited to see us turn away from the pass-happy risk oriented offense that we have been through the Cutler/Orton era to a ground game that can pound it out.

If running on 3rd and 13 makes you excited...you should watch paint dry!!!

The only way you win by playing conservatively on offence is if you have a top ranked defence. If Fox employs that strategy, I think we'll have similar results to the 2010 Panthers and then Luck will be ours.

Lancane
08-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Chances that Denver drafts a quarterback in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft are about 85% right now.

Orton and Quinn will both be gone after the season, if we don't trade Orton that it and not unless they re-sign Quinn as the next Kubiak/Brister for the Broncos. Tebow has according to reports not shown distinct improvement this off-season, and other then pre-season games may not see the field.

Andrew Luck is more then likely going to be the first overall pick, but if he has a tough season he could slide in value just a little and still be a top five pick or so. Which either way is good news for the likes of Matt Barkley (USC) ranked the 16th best draft prospect by CDS, Kirk Cousins (Michigan State) ranked 14th and Ryan Lindley (San Diego State) who has climbed to 49th and expected to continue up the chart. That doesn't include Ryan Tannehill (Texas A&M), Nick Foles (Arizona), Lance Jones (Oklahoma) and likely Tyler Wilson (Arkansas State). If all plays out like I believe, we could very well see six quarterbacks taken in the first round of this draft. And I think Denver will be one of them.

rationalfan
08-01-2011, 11:31 AM

no offense to the guy who started the thread, but i disagree. your disgust for a reporter doesn't mean he's a bad writer; you just don't like what he writes.

Ravage!!!
08-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Again. Although I've been saying over and over again that I would love Tebow to start in front of Orton because at least Tebow gives me some excitement and Orton makes me bored to tears.... Don't think for a MOMENT that the coaches don't know what they have in Tebow even if he doesn't start. It wouldn't be the first QB they've seen in practices.. it wouldn't be the first rookie they've seen.

Don't forget that Fox started both Moore and Clausen while in Carolina. He's not opposed to starting young/rookie QBs.

Softskull
08-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Regardless of how Tebow does, I don't think we would have a shot at Luck unless we are the first pick of the draft. The new rookie wage scale makes the early picks much more team friendly than in the past. If Luck continues on his path, he'll be the best draft prospect to come along in years. A cheap, relatively low risk superstar QB wont be passed up by anyone in that first slot.

Ravage!!!
08-01-2011, 12:09 PM
If running on 3rd and 13 makes you excited...you should watch paint dry!!!

The only way you win by playing conservatively on offence is if you have a top ranked defence. If Fox employs that strategy, I think we'll have similar results to the 2010 Panthers and then Luck will be ours.

DOn't get confused with at "run first" mentality. People claimed that Shanahan had a "run first" offense and he threw the ball more often he ran it.

SOCALORADO.
08-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Regardless of how Tebow does, I don't think we would have a shot at Luck unless we are the first pick of the draft. The new rookie wage scale makes the early picks much more team friendly than in the past. If Luck continues on his path, he'll be the best draft prospect to come along in years. A cheap, relatively low risk superstar QB wont be passed up by anyone in that first slot.

DEN has a really, really good chance of being in the NO 1 slot.
I have no doubt that this team will win 4 or less games.
Unless there is a major madden trade in the works....

Lancane
08-01-2011, 12:13 PM

I would concur that unless we hold the first or second and depending on who held the other that we likely would not get near Luck. But I could see Denver going after Barkley, maybe Lindley. The unknown is Jones, especially when you consider that Bowlen is a Oklahoma fan through-n-through and Oklahoma alumnist.

Softskull
08-01-2011, 12:19 PM
DEN has a really, really good chance of being in the NO 1 slot.
I have no doubt that this team will win 4 or less games.
Unless there is a major madden trade in the works....

Although I have a hard time buying that we'll be the worst team in the NFL, if we are, we certainly would have to grab Luck.

That being said, I think we'll be about the same or slightly improved on offense. I see or Oline as slightly improved because of experience, running game should be better with Fox's scheme in place, we have all the pieces for a good passing game. Overall, a better balance on offense.

It wouldn't surprise me if we jumped from the worst to a middle of the pack defense. I agree that we have holes at DT, but the reality is we only have to go from really bad to mediocre for that jump to occure. We'll be green in the DB area, but again, it wont take much to improve from last year. My glass remains half full.

Nomad
08-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Yep! That's why I'm looking forward to watching Stanford this year to see how he does!