PDA

View Full Version : Broncos rookie Larsen starts at FB and LB

Denver Native (Carol)
11-16-2008, 11:39 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=487134

ATLANTA (AP) -- Spencer Larsen made history in his first NFL start.

Larsen, a rookie, became the first Denver player to start on offense and defense in the same game when he opened Sunday's matchup against Atlanta as the team's middle linebacker and fullback. He also opened the game on special teams, too.

Larsen's role as a two-way starter on offense and defense was a secret this week.

Denver coach Mike Shanahan told reporters after the 24-20 win over the Falcons he closed practice about 30 minutes early each day this week because "I can't trust you guys in Denver."

Larsen said he was told Monday he would play linebacker this week, but he said even he was surprised to also start on offense.

"I didn't think I would play much fullback," Larsen said.

He said he had to remain quiet about his practice time at linebacker.

"They needed me on defense," Larsen said. "We were real quiet about it. I was real excited about it, but I was able to keep my cool. It was fun and challenging. At fullback, you really know what to do, but at linebacker, it's a different world."

Larsen was third on the team with seven tackles. He didn't have a carry or a catch at fullback.

He also played on Denver's kickoff coverage and kickoff return teams.

Larsen said "it's great" to make Broncos history.

"I think it is cool," he said. "It's a great experience and I credit the coaches for allowing me to do it. I think it's just the type of coaching staff that we have. (Shanahan) is always looking out for his players and he knew that would be fun for me. It's great for him to allow me to do that."

Larsen is the first NFL player to start on offense and defense since Dec. 14, 2003, when Baltimore's Orlando Brown started at offensive tackle and defensive tackle at Oakland.

A sixth-round draft pick from Arizona, Larsen worked at linebacker and fullback in training camp before becoming a full-time fullback behind starter Peyton Hillis.

"I didn't think I'd ever play linebacker," Larsen said. "I thought I'd be able to contribute a little bit at fullback."

Injuries at linebacker and running back forced Shanahan to devise the plan for Larsen's two-way duty.

Hillis moved from fullback to start at running back as Selvin Young was held out with a groin injury. That created the opening for Larsen at fullback.

Denver quarterback Jay Cutler said "it was fun" to watch Larsen and Hillis move into new roles.

"They're football players," Cutler said. "I think he and Spencer are kind of in the same mold. They can do anything out there, special teams, offense or defense."

Larsen was needed on defense as starting linebackers Nate Webster and D.J. Williams were held out with knee injuries. Boss Bailey, the team's other starter, went on IR two weeks ago with a knee injury.

20yardline
11-16-2008, 11:41 PM
I love this guy. What a football player. He played with a lot of heart out there.

fcspikeit
11-16-2008, 11:52 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=487134

ATLANTA (AP) -- Spencer Larsen made history in his first NFL start.

Larsen, a rookie, became the first Denver player to start on offense and defense in the same game when he opened Sunday's matchup against Atlanta as the team's middle linebacker and fullback. He also opened the game on special teams, too.

Larsen's role as a two-way starter on offense and defense was a secret this week.

Denver coach Mike Shanahan told reporters after the 24-20 win over the Falcons he closed practice about 30 minutes early each day this week because "I can't trust you guys in Denver."

Larsen said he was told Monday he would play linebacker this week, but he said even he was surprised to also start on offense.

"I didn't think I would play much fullback," Larsen said.

He said he had to remain quiet about his practice time at linebacker.

"They needed me on defense," Larsen said. "We were real quiet about it. I was real excited about it, but I was able to keep my cool. It was fun and challenging. At fullback, you really know what to do, but at linebacker, it's a different world."

Larsen was third on the team with seven tackles. He didn't have a carry or a catch at fullback.

He also played on Denver's kickoff coverage and kickoff return teams.

"I think it is cool," he said. "It's a great experience and I credit the coaches for allowing me to do it. I think it's just the type of coaching staff that we have. (Shanahan) is always looking out for his players and he knew that would be fun for me. It's great for him to allow me to do that."

Larsen is the first NFL player to start on offense and defense since Dec. 14, 2003, when Baltimore's Orlando Brown started at offensive tackle and defensive tackle at Oakland.

A sixth-round draft pick from Arizona, Larsen worked at linebacker and fullback in training camp before becoming a full-time fullback behind starter Peyton Hillis.

"I didn't think I'd ever play linebacker," Larsen said. "I thought I'd be able to contribute a little bit at fullback."

Injuries at linebacker and running back forced Shanahan to devise the plan for Larsen's two-way duty.

Hillis moved from fullback to start at running back as Selvin Young was held out with a groin injury. That created the opening for Larsen at fullback.

Denver quarterback Jay Cutler said "it was fun" to watch Larsen and Hillis move into new roles.

"They're football players," Cutler said. "I think he and Spencer are kind of in the same mold. They can do anything out there, special teams, offense or defense."

Larsen was needed on defense as starting linebackers Nate Webster and D.J. Williams were held out with knee injuries. Boss Bailey, the team's other starter, went on IR two weeks ago with a knee injury.

Yeah I'm sure the fact it would be fun for him was the very reason Shanahan did it...:laugh: :laugh:

One has to wonder with the play from Webster, why he hadn't started before now? I guess sometimes blind luck is better then skill.

G_Money
11-16-2008, 11:55 PM
Instead of looking at playing FB as being a slight on his ability, Larsen accepted the challenge and tried to be the best FB he could be. And when Shanahan FINALLY decides to put him back to the position he has played his whole life and was drafted for, he kills it. For a first start, he KILLS it. And then gives all glory to Shanahan:

Didn't say, "yeah, my opportunity finally came to get back on my side of the ball" or "I was glad to be able to play my true position and make a contribution."

Not Larsen.

He said, "Thanks coach, for letting me have to know all three phases of our team intimately. I'm our best ST tackler, I have to know blocking and pass-protections for the offense, and oh yeah, in my spare time try to know the whole defense. Yeah, that defense that changes every week and that the veterans can't even figure out. Not only am I grateful for the gauntlet you've put me through, I will eat however much more crap you feed me while saying 'THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER??'

"And then I will smile." :D

Larsen's a gamer. A humble, man-mangling gamer.

Love it.

~G

Skinny
11-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Larsen did a heckuva job. :congrats:

Keep it up young man, we need ya.

lex
11-17-2008, 12:00 AM

Yeah I'm sure the fact it would be fun for him was the very reason Shanahan did it...:laugh: :laugh:

One has to wonder with the play from Webster, why he hadn't started before now? I guess sometimes blind luck is better then skill.

As cynical as one might be, it was the correct thing for him to say though, if you want to see more of it. Basically, he gave Shanahan credit for what seems like a good idea, which makes it easier for Shanahan to continue playing him.

DenBronx
11-17-2008, 12:19 AM
after seeing what this guy could do in preseason i said to myself that he would be a star in the nfl. im more interested in seeing him start at mlb the rest of the season. although, he has contributed very well on special teams and is doing a good job as a fb. its good to see a modern day SLASH.

fcspikeit
11-17-2008, 12:20 AM
As cynical as one might be, it was the correct thing for him to say though, if you want to see more of it. Basically, he gave Shanahan credit for what seems like a good idea, which makes it easier for Shanahan to continue playing him.

I agree completely! A soft stroke of Shannys ego a day keeps the dead legs away.. :D

broncofaninfla
11-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Finally Larsen got his chance and made the most of it. HUGE difference in stopping the run for our team. EASILY the best MLB play from ANYBODY on the team all season long. Niko should be cut at this point and Webster should be demoted to the back up MLB.

BroncoJoe
11-17-2008, 09:55 AM
From Peter King's MMQB on si.com:

Here's my 2008 Feel-Good Story of the Year. Marginal Arizona linebacker Spencer Larsen was sitting on pins and needles on day two of the NFL Draft last year, wondering if he'd be picked, when Denver coach Mike Shanahan called and asked if Larsen, 6-foot-2 and 242 pounds, could play fullback. Larsen said he hadn't played in the offensive backfield since high school, but he'd sure try. OK, Shanahan said; we're going to draft you, bring you in for a week, and see how the transition goes. It went fine. Shanahan loved the kamikaze nature of Larsen on defense and special teams, and Larsen made the team. And last week, with five running-back injuries plaguing his backfield, Shanahan moved fullback Peyton Hillis to running back and practiced Larsen at fullback. There were two packages Larsen would play, and Shanahan started the game at Atlanta with one of them. And with middle linebacker Nate Webster hurt, this was Larsen's lucky day: Not only would he start at fullback, but also at middle linebacker. "They never made a big deal about it during the week or before the game,'' Larsen said from Atlanta, after he became the first Bronco ever to start on offense and defense in the same game -- and on the kickoff and kick-return team too. "But it's really exciting. I just thank them for giving me the chance.'' Larsen's an older-than-he-seems 24, having taken two years away from the University of Arizona for a Mormon mission in the middle of his freshman year. So blocking Keith Brooking and tackling Michael Turner in the same game isn't exactly real-world tough to him. What I found compelling about the gambit: The Broncos called the league to make sure Larsen could wear a number that wouldn't draw attention to him on offense, because a non-running-back number would require him to report to the officials before the play and notify the defense that their pet block of granite was in the game. So they settled on 46. Smart.

BigDaddyBronco
11-17-2008, 10:17 AM
He was so fun to watch yesterday. He might not be fast, but he sure knows how to tackle. Kinda reminds me of Zach Thomas.

CoachChaz
11-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Yeah, speed is the biggest knock on him, but he has a great nose for the ball. He's not going to run down Adrian Petersen on a sweep, but he can definately clog the middle.

broncofaninfla
11-17-2008, 10:24 AM
He is slower than Webster but 5 times the MLB. Finally we have a MLB that can plug the middle and stop the run. I'm very happy to have this kid on our team!

CoachChaz
11-17-2008, 10:44 AM
He is slower than Webster but 5 times the MLB. Finally we have a MLB that can plug the middle and stop the run. I'm very happy to have this kid on our team!

I'll enjoy him while he lasts. He's a solid MLB, but...in a division with LT, LJ and McFadden...I want a stud in the middle. Larsen can back up and play ST

MileHighWrath
11-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Spencer Larsen - yes of course we is an Arizona Wildcat! You think a scumdevil could fathom starting on both sides of the ball? HA!

Ziggy
11-17-2008, 11:05 AM
I'll take a MLB wit great instincts and less athletic ability over a MLB with great athletic ability and no instincts every day.

broncofaninfla
11-17-2008, 11:12 AM
I'll take a MLB wit great instincts and less athletic ability over a MLB with great athletic ability and no instincts every day.

Amen! :beer:

omac
11-20-2008, 10:54 AM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/11/19/every-play-counts-spencer-larsen-on-offense-defense-and-specia/

Every Play Counts: Spencer Larsen on Offense, Defense and Special Teams
Posted Nov 19th 2008 9:00AM by Michael David Smith

Every Play Counts is Michael David Smith's weekly look at one specific player or one aspect of a team on every single play of the previous game.

The quirkiest story from Sunday's NFL action was the news that Spencer Larsen of the Denver Broncos turned back the clock and started the game on both offense and defense. I'm one of those old-fashioned types who can't get enough NFL Films footage of Chuck Bednarik, so I was curious to see just what kind of player Larsen is.

So I reviewed the tape of each and every one of Larsen's plays -- at fullback, middle linebacker and on special teams -- for this week's installment of Every Play Counts. Short answer: He's certainly not Chuck Bednarik, but he is a talented player who has a relentless approach on special teams and real potential as a linebacker. At fullback? Not so much.

It's not really accurate to call Larsen a two-way player. He's really a three-way player, because he also plays special teams, where he started the game on the opening kickoff, running downfield and getting into good position to make the tackle on Falcons return man Jerious Norwood, although Larsen's teammate Mario Haggan got there first.

On the Broncos' next kickoff, after a first-quarter touchdown, Larsen showed the kamikaze style that players need for special teams coverage: He sprinted downfield, got knocked to the ground by an illegal leg whip from Falcons linebacker Stephen Nicholas, then got back up and got in on the tackle. (That leg-whip from Nicholas wasn't the only time a Falcon cheap-shotted Larsen. On one play on the Falcons' first offensive possession, Falcons offensive lineman Harvey Dahl, shoved Larsen to the ground long after the whistle blew. I'm amazed that there was no flag on the play; I'm sure Dahl will be fined.)

Larsen plays quite a bit of special teams; he's on the kickoff unit, the kickoff return unit and the punt unit. But lest anyone think Larsen is a 60-minute man, it should be noted that he got only three plays on offense. One of those was the Broncos' first offensive play, which makes him officially a starter, but he didn't do much on offense.

On the first snap, an end-around handoff to Eddie Royal, Larsen's only job was to line up in the I-formation and make it look like he was blocking a run to the left to draw the defense away from Royal, who was running to the right. He did his job fine, but there's not a lot to it.

His other two plays at fullback came on back-to-back plays near the goal line in the third quarter. On second-and-goal, Larsen lined up at fullback in the I-formation and his job was to block Falcons defensive end Chauncey Davis. Larsen's block was OK, and Davis didn't make the tackle, but it didn't exactly remind me of Moose Johnston blocking for Emmitt Smith. On the next play, third-and-goal, Larsen was supposed to clear a path to the end zone for running back Peyton Hillis behind him. Larsen ran into the end zone, but he didn't exactly clear a path: He ran right past the guy he should have blocked, Falcons linebacker Curtis Lofton, who broke through and tackled Hillis for a loss of a yard.

Larsen played linebacker at Arizona and had never played fullback until the Broncos told him to start practicing there in September. He might have the talent to be a decent fullback some day if the Broncos have patience for him to develop, but he's not there yet.

Where Larsen really shines is at middle linebacker. The Broncos held Falcons running back Michael Turner mostly in check on Sunday, and Larsen was the biggest reason for that. On a Falcons first-and-10 in the first quarter (the play immediately following the kickoff on which he got leg-whipped), Larsen recognized that the play would be a handoff to Turner going to the left side, and he got there so quickly that Falcons center Todd McClure, who was supposed to block Larsen, never got a hand on him. Larsen tackled Turner for a gain of just two yards.

Larsen comes off the field in the nickel package, but he's OK in pass coverage when that's what he's called on to do. With the Falcons facing first-and-15 after a false start in the first quarter, Larsen dropped back to cover the deep middle of the field, and Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan threw a short pass to wide receiver Michael Jenkins eight yards downfield along the left hashmark. Larsen closed on Jenkins quickly and brought him down before he could pick up any yardage after the catch.

What I like best about Larsen on defense is his relentless approach. On a second-and-6, the Falcons got the ball to Norwood in the Wildcat formation, and Dahl -- the same guy who had cheap shotted him earlier -- took Larsen down with a cut block. But Larsen saw when he hit the ground, that Norwood was coming his way, so he just rolled into Norwood's feet and brought him to the ground.

Larsen does have some weaknesses as a linebacker. Most notably, he gets fooled by misdirection plays. On back-to-back plays in the first quarter, Larsen got taken out of position both times. First, Turner took a stutter-step to his right when he got the handoff and then turned to his left; Larsen went in the direction of the stutter-step. Then, on the next play, Ryan faked a handoff to Turner going to his left and then rolled out his right and completed a pass; if Larsen had been in the proper position he could have pressured Ryan, but instead he was fooled by the fake handoff.

But while Larsen can get out of position at times, when he just needs to line up and hit the guy in front of him, he's very good. On a second-and-10 handoff to Turner in the second quarter, Larsen lined up in the middle and just exploded across the line, running straight into Turner's legs and taking him down for a gain of just a yard.

Sunday's game was the first one Larsen had started at any position, let alone multiple positions. He only started at middle linebacker because Nate Webster was out with a knee injury. On the strength of that one game, I'd say he's worthy of being a full-time starter at linebacker, though definitely not at fullback.

But the mere fact that he started on offense and defense is worth celebrating. Larsen said after the game that whether he's playing special teams, fullback or linebacker, he has a pretty simple task: "I know my job," Larsen said. "I was out there to run into people."

That's a sentiment Bednarik would appreciate.