PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign DT Marcus Thomas and bring him back to Broncos

Tned
07-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Per Josina:

RT @JosinaAnderson Breaking News: DT Marcus Thomas signs with the #Broncos

Tned
07-31-2011, 06:32 PM

RT @JosinaAnderson Statement from Marcus Thomas' Agent: "We're excited about the scheme that John Fox is running, it will give Marcus Thomas a chance to reach his potential and do what he does best which is penetrate to get up field to cause chaos in the backfield. He's been the most productive defensive tackle in Denver playing in a system that didn't fit his skill-set. Ultimately, we've always considered Thomas a starter, it was just important for him to be compensated as such. As always he's excited to be a Denver Bronco." ---Agent Richard Burnoski

Agent of Orange
07-31-2011, 06:38 PM
I think they should have done more to try to upgrade but I think Thomas has been underrated. He was drafted as a penetrator by the previous regime and then one year in they switched to a scheme that didnt suit his strength. He ended up putting on a bunch of weight for the sake of the scheme and was actually decent last year.

Here you have a guy who was a first round talent (had he not had problems at Florida) that now knows the speed of the NFL game, is acclimated to Denver, and has had the benefit of possibly adding something to his skill set from his time in the 3-4. Hopefully he hasnt lost what made him a disruptive DT in the process.

I'm a little more optimistic about this than I know most are. I realize he's associated with bad defenses but this could be OK.

LTC Pain
07-31-2011, 06:42 PM
Signing Thomas is one big + in the "we need DTs" department. A couple more and we should be set. What I'm not sure of is which DEs on the roster will migrate to play DT.

Traveler
07-31-2011, 06:44 PM
Yawn!

Denver Native (Carol)
07-31-2011, 06:45 PM
The Broncos have re-signed defensive tackle Marcus Thomas on a one-year contact. The New York Giants were also in on Thomas, who played his first four seasons with the Broncos. The shift from the 3-4 to Thomas’ natural 4-3 defernsive tackle was a big reason why Thomas wanted to stay in Denver.

rest of article - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/07/31/marcus-thomas-back-with-broncos/8503/

FanInAZ
07-31-2011, 06:48 PM
I hope this will make everyone happy enough so they will stop rioting every time we sign someone at a position other than DT. Yes, we’ve needed good DTs for years. However, that doesn’t mean that it’s a good idea to become so focused on that need that we overlook the possibility at improving ourselves in other positions.

UnderArmour
07-31-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm just happy we signed one free agent DT, even if it was Marcus. I was beginning to think the DTs of the NFL unionized and blacklisted Denver as a destination. Hopefully we won't be embarrassed too badly up front after this. Good signing.

Dzone
07-31-2011, 06:49 PM
As long as he doesnt come in fat and outta shape

Tned
07-31-2011, 06:50 PM
I think they should have done more to try to upgrade but I think Thomas has been underrated. He was drafted as a penetrator by the previous regime and then one year in they switched to a scheme that didnt suit his strength. He ended up putting on a bunch of weight for the sake of the scheme and was actually decent last year.

Here you have a guy who was a first round talent (had he not had problems at Florida) that now knows the speed of the NFL game, is acclimated to Denver, and has had the benefit of possibly adding something to his skill set from his time in the 3-4. Hopefully he hasnt lost what made him a disruptive DT in the process.

I'm a little more optimistic about this than I know most are. I realize he's associated with bad defenses but this could be OK.

This mirrors my thoughts on Thomas.

Rick
07-31-2011, 06:55 PM
I am happy with this and think MT has been under utilized.

He is an attacking DT and as far as I have seen he has never been allowed to do that. I believe he came in to be a clogger for bates/Slowic, then became a 3/4 DE/DT for MCD and neither of those systems suites his style.

Could be a breakout year if they set him free.

I don't like that Okeye got passed over but I really don't mind that they havent signed anyone else.

EFX is going slower than I like...but they are fixing the team in pieces.

MileHighCrew
07-31-2011, 07:05 PM
i think Fox can coach him up. good signing

HORSEPOWER 56
07-31-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm happy we did something. Hopefully we just got a solid starter for the D-line. I don't think he's a superstar, but he's instantly the best 4-3 DT on the roster as of now.

shank
07-31-2011, 07:58 PM
i'm excited about this, but would be more excited if we'd have brought someone in to help marcus out.

Lancane
07-31-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm happy we did something. Hopefully we just got a solid starter for the D-line. I don't think he's a superstar, but he's instantly the best 4-3 DT on the roster as of now.

I concur with you, at least they did something to address the issue...though, Thomas pretty much only got an extension since it's a one year contract. Not sure we'll sign anyone else, I hope we do, Warren would be huge right now, but either way we've at least got some depth now with Thomas, Vickerson, McBean, Leonard, Jarmon, Whitlock, Brown and Garland, though Garland is still committed to the Air Force this season.

bcbronc
07-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Thomas is someone I wanted re-signed since Fox was brought on. Glad to have him back. Need to add a big run-stuffer now.

Canmore
07-31-2011, 11:00 PM
Thomas is someone I wanted re-signed since Fox was brought on. Glad to have him back. Need to add a big run-stuffer now.

Yes. A big, mean, nasty run stuffer. Problem is I don't have a clue who that would be. I would love to see it, but don't expect it. :defense:

dogfish
08-01-2011, 01:41 AM
smiley really should be here to say it himself, but i guess he's slackin' so i'll do the honors for him this time:

"And the peasants rejoiced!"

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Sorry but I do not think he is all that great.

Granted he is at least a warm body at DT. But why all the rejoicing. He tested the FA water and was found lacking by up to 31 other teams.

I just hope he shows more in the future than he has so far and that we did not over pay because we are desperate.

Let's also hope that this is not the end for fixing this area of need.

Agent of Orange
08-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Sorry but I do not think he is all that great.

Granted he is at least a warm body at DT. But why all the rejoicing. He tested the FA water and was found lacking by up to 31 other teams.

I just hope he shows more in the future than he has so far and that we did not over pay because we are desperate.

Let's also hope that this is not the end for fixing this area of need.

I just hope you show more in the future. Every time I log on to this site, you're flooding the board with the same garbage over and over. Its time to come up with a new act.

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I just hope you show more in the future. Every time I log on to this site, you're flooding the board with the same garbage over and over. Its time to come up with a new act.

put me on iggy no sweat from me.. lots have I could care less .

Agent of Orange
08-01-2011, 02:26 PM
put me on iggy no sweat from me.. lots have I could care less .

I just find it interesting that you've admitted to spamming message boards with the same theme since 2004. It's basically like you're admitting that you haven't had an original thought in 7 years. I cant even imagine what its like for the people who have to see your ramblings every day.

I guess it just goes to show that, like I told you before, people are tuning you out. You're just mindless noise at this point. You just post without thought or feeling. You've got to be numb after posting the same garbgage every day for 7 years. Its just bizarre that someone would do what you're doing in such abundance. You have over 30,000 posts and have admitted that each is a way of saying "I hate Shanahan". The guy hasnt even been here since 2009 yet you still go out of your way to cram it in. Like I said, its like you havent had an original thought in 7 years. Sad.

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 02:32 PM
I just find it interesting that you've admitted to spamming message boards with the same theme since 2004. It's basically like you're admitting that you haven't had an original thought in 7 years. I cant even imagine what its like for the people who have to see your ramblings every day.

I guess it just goes to show that, like I told you before, people are tuning you out. You're just mindless noise at this point. You just post without thought or feeling. You've got to be numb after posting the same garbgage every day for 7 years. Its just bizarre that someone would do what you're doing in such abundance. You have over 30,000 posts and have admitted that each is a way of saying "I hate Shanahan". The guy hasnt even been here since 2009 yet you still go out of your way to cram it in. Like I said, its like you havent had an original thought in 7 years. Sad.

I find it amusing that you think I hate mikey..

Merely posting facts about the guy you obviously like alot..

MAny folks find my posts worthwhile just because you and a few others do not well not my problem..

Put me on IGGY and you will not have an issue..

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Back to Thomas Lets hope he shows the potential that many think he has.

I just find it amusing that some folks are falling all over this announcement as a God send knowing that every other NFL passed on him..

TXBRONC
08-01-2011, 02:35 PM

Let it go man he really isn't worth it.

G_Money
08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I hope this will make everyone happy enough so they will stop rioting every time we sign someone at a position other than DT. Yes, we’ve needed good DTs for years. However, that doesn’t mean that it’s a good idea to become so focused on that need that we overlook the possibility at improving ourselves in other positions.

Improving other positions is great. Haven't we been shown just how useless it is to have a Champ Bailey on a team that gives a QB 12 seconds to throw a pass, though? Or on a team that is worst in the league against the run?

If the other team's response to "I have a great secondary!" or "My line-backing corps is the fastest in the league!" is to grind you to dust with a merely-adequate or better rushing game... how is that a good plan? :confused:

You can rely on the strengths of your team to compensate for its average qualities. If you have an average QB and a great running game, you can make do. If you are death to passers and okay against the run then you can compensate by doing run-blitzes or other stunts to make life harder on the opposition.

But you can't have the best QB and the worst OL, or your QB is gonna get punked HARD and LOOK like the worst.

You can't have a great passing game and NO running game, because teams just plan to beat you in one phase. I thought last year showed that.

And you can't have a worthless middle of the DL and a bunch of edge pass-rushers and 230 lb LBs, because there's no one to stop the run then. Doom and Ayers are gonna hold the edge when we jam the middle full of bodies because the DTs can't do jack? I don't think so.

And when we sell out for the run and eat a lot of TE-over-the-middle-for-a-touchdown scenarios it's not gonna feel any better.

In a vacuum, I like the draft. There are several talented players that we added to the team.

When the complete ledger of draft, re-signings, trades and free agency is totalled, though, it seems we neglected the very same weak point that we have for years: getting big-hoss players in the middle who can stop the run and collapse a pocket.

That's not the end of the Broncos for eternity, it just means we likely get to watch another year of the same defensive problems we've been watching year after year at this point.

That prospect is not exciting, sorry. :tsk:

Hopefully we can scheme around it like Nolan did for half a year while we wait for reinforcements that will be coming...one of these years...

~G

Agent of Orange
08-01-2011, 04:44 PM
I find it amusing that you think I hate mikey..

Merely posting facts about the guy you obviously like alot..

MAny folks find my posts worthwhile just because you and a few others do not well not my problem..

Put me on IGGY and you will not have an issue..

This isnt really so much about what I like or dislike. This is more about what kind of neurosis causes you to carry on this way. Nevermind Shanahan. Lets talk about the idea that you should be in a lab being studied by scientists. Why are you so dedicated to something that's so pointless. Its hard to imagine any kind of gratification is derived from doing what you do with such relentless fervor. When I go to the same restaurant and say the same things, I can become board with myself. You've been doing this for 7 years. You have to be bored with your own act by now. I mean, come on. MASH was only on the air for 11 years but at least that covered different topics.

Tned
08-01-2011, 04:48 PM
I cant even imagine what its like for the people who have to see your ramblings every day.

Don't they say a smiley paints a thousand words...

:shot:

SmilinAssasSin27
08-01-2011, 05:34 PM
smiley really should be here to say it himself, but i guess he's slackin' so i'll do the honors for him this time:

"And the peasants rejoiced!"

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sorry so lax...building a fence to keep my 115 lb "puppy" safe.

topscribe
08-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sorry so lax...building a fence to keep my 115 lb "puppy" safe.

115 lb. puppy?

Whom are you trying to keep safe . . . the puppy or the people he would eat?

-----

Lonestar
08-01-2011, 06:50 PM
115 lb. puppy?

-----

Kind of thinking the same thing

I had a 225 pound Saint Bernard and he was a load at least twice a day.. needed a backhoe to pick them up..

MOtorboat
08-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Three-tech havoc, FTW.

MileHiWildcat
08-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Oh BOY !!! Another Bronco retread ! I bet other teams are shaking in their boots.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-02-2011, 05:31 PM
115 lb. puppy?

-----

Rotty/Lab mix...and he's a sweetheart.

bcbronc
08-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Rotty/Lab mix...and he's a sweetheart.

Start toughenin him up...we're still going to have a need at DT when he's full grown.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Hey may be a sweetheart, but between the lines, he's all in. But he prefers DE.