PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we score TDs in the Red Zone anymore?

sneakers
10-01-2007, 04:05 AM
It seems that the last two years we are always settling for FGs instead of TDs. I don't have any quick answers (if their are any). Could it be the departure of a big tailback, or the slow erosion of our once solid offensive line? Or the lack of a respected tight end in the passing game?

omac
10-01-2007, 04:41 AM
It seems that the last two years we are always settling for FGs instead of TDs. I don't have any quick answers (if their are any). Could it be the departure of a big tailback, or the slow erosion of our once solid offensive line? Or the lack of a respected tight end in the passing game?

We scored 2 touchdowns and kicked 2 field goals, and one of those field goals was close enough that we could've risked a 4th and short. If our defense could get some stops, we could've scored even more in a measured, methodical way. It's not the offense, but the defense and special teams that have problems now.

sneakers
10-01-2007, 04:44 AM
We scored 2 touchdowns and kicked 2 field goals, and one of those field goals was close enough that we could've risked a 4th and short. If our defense could get some stops, we could've scored even more in a measured, methodical way. It's not the offense, but the defense and special teams that have problems now.

Sorry, I wasn't talking specifically about yesterday..but rather the last year or two in general.

omac
10-01-2007, 05:54 AM
Sorry, I wasn't talking specifically about yesterday..but rather the last year or two in general.

I think we were just more a one-dimensional run offense before. We surely didn't have as much weapons as we do now.

If I knew the defense would be this much dominated by the Colts, I'd have rooted going for the riskier 4th downs every time than settling for field goals. Well, we did look much better on offense than we did against Jacksonville. I'm hoping we'll look much better on defense soon.

xX-Bronco-Xx
10-01-2007, 06:24 AM
They stack the box with people and since our line is pretty small it gets overpowered most times imo.

I have no clue what is going on with the passing game in there though.

OB
10-01-2007, 11:07 AM
I agree - but its been going on for at least 3 if not four years - so it seems to me - but im sure someone will come up with the real statistics and prove me wrong -

But I would love to know what our Red Zone ratio is for TD/FG and No scores over the last four years or so

underrated29
10-01-2007, 12:03 PM
WELL for this year i see two things.

1. we need to bring in the hammer. sapp or henry. none of this selvin young crap. send in sapp as the fb and henry follows him to the goal.

2. we arent running up the gut anymore at all. we are running to the left or right/off tackle. to me this is just more yards we have to run to get in there. It also gives the d more time to see the play, get up there and stuff it.

i think we need to just run straight at them right up the middle behind the center. Anderson would do that a lot and was successful, i dont know why we have changed.

just things i have noticed.imo

silkamilkamonico
10-01-2007, 12:37 PM
1. we need to bring in the hammer. sapp or henry. none of this selvin young crap. send in sapp as the fb and henry follows him to the goal.

2. we arent running up the gut anymore at all. we are running to the left or right/off tackle. to me this is just more yards we have to run to get in there. It also gives the d more time to see the play, get up there and stuff it.

i think we need to just run straight at them right up the middle behind the center. Anderson would do that a lot and was successful, i dont know why we have changed.

just things i have noticed.imo

1)Selvin Young has been a blessing in disguise for Denver. Maybe he isn't a red zone threat, but I take offense to seeing "Selvin Young" and "crap" in the same sentence.

2)Please no more runs up the middle. I don't care if I never see another FB stab play again. It's like a wasted play.

underrated29
10-01-2007, 01:09 PM
1)Selvin Young has been a blessing in disguise for Denver. Maybe he isn't a red zone threat, but I take offense to seeing "Selvin Young" and "crap" in the same sentence.

2)Please no more runs up the middle. I don't care if I never see another FB stab play again. It's like a wasted play.

well silky dont take offense to it. i also think he is a great addition to our team. and i never called him crap. what i called crap was the plays to have him run up the middle in a 5yrd to goal situation.

he is quick and has a lot of power for his size, but i dont think his power is comparable to henry or sapp.

it just reminds me of tatum bell- when the d stacks the line we need power to get through and we dont.

whats wrong with the run up the middle?? its the shortest distance, and if we have a fb lead the way for travis he should be able to pound it.

Lonestar
10-01-2007, 01:15 PM
They stack the box with people and since our line is pretty small it gets overpowered most times imo.

I have no clue what is going on with the passing game in there though.

Your correct we do not have the heft to go one on one.

Yet when they pulled off all the WR's and played 3-4 TE's we were able to open some holes. Until we get into the red zone. When we get into the red zone we change our play calling.

SO why are we getting cute.

You can throw to any of those TE's and having Thenry at 5'9" 230+ should IMHO be able to bull it in or roll out or option to TE pass. Lot more options there than just running the ball.

Mikey need to get some balls inside the 5.

OB
10-01-2007, 03:06 PM

Yet when they pulled off all the WR's and played 3-4 TE's we were able to open some holes. Until we get into the red zone. When we get into the red zone we change our play calling.

You can throw to any of those TE's and having Thenry at 5'9" 230+ should IMHO be able to bull it in or roll out or option to TE pass. Lot more options there than just running the ball.

No we need to get balls in the endzone and score 6 - i dont care who's ballas they are as long as they are orange n blue ;)

Medford Bronco
10-01-2007, 03:10 PM

Agreed Why not Daniel Graham. He seemed to do well in NE. He is big and if we are running well should be open sometimes:confused:

silkamilkamonico
10-01-2007, 03:40 PM
well silky dont take offense to it. i also think he is a great addition to our team. and i never called him crap. what i called crap was the plays to have him run up the middle in a 5yrd to goal situation.

he is quick and has a lot of power for his size, but i dont think his power is comparable to henry or sapp.

it just reminds me of tatum bell- when the d stacks the line we need power to get through and we dont.

whats wrong with the run up the middle?? its the shortest distance, and if we have a fb lead the way for travis he should be able to pound it.

I know what you were saying with Young. I've been lucky not to have to witness it the last game or so, but Denver had something like 1 FB stab everytime they were in the redzone the first couple of games, and it worked only once for a TD. Other than that it doesn't even get back to the LOS.

I just don't like that %.

Medford Bronco
10-01-2007, 04:06 PM
I know what you were saying with Young. I've been lucky not to have to witness it the last game or so, but Denver had something like 1 FB stab everytime they were in the redzone the first couple of games, and it worked only once for a TD. Other than that it doesn't even get back to the LOS.

I just don't like that %.

bring back Howard Griffith :laugh: back in the day that worked because we had TD and a great all around passing team

silkamilkamonico
10-01-2007, 04:15 PM
bring back Howard Griffith :laugh: back in the day that worked because we had TD and a great all around passing team

It could actually be a good argument.

Denver hasn't been able to score alot of TD's in the redzone since those days.

underrated29
10-01-2007, 05:01 PM
you guys said it... i mean check out my name

howard was the man.

BigBroncLove
10-01-2007, 05:04 PM
It could actually be a good argument.

Denver hasn't been able to score alot of TD's in the redzone since those days.

I don't know about that.... We scored a ton in 2005 when we were beat by teh Steelers in the AFCCG. We outscored opponents through the first half almost every game, and put up some big numbers that year. It seemed to be a bit of a fluke year though, since before and after that, we never came back to the same type of consistency in the red zone, but in 2005 the Broncos O seemed to come out every game and put up a ton of points through the first half....

lex
10-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I think our line isnt what it once was. We also have been refusing to use a TE this year. But I also get the feeling that if we were to throw to a TE youd see more matador blocking like we saw from Nate Jackson yesterday. It seems like we have a lot of plays where there is at least one blocking break down compared to what used to see.

Lonestar
10-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Agreed Why not Daniel Graham. He seemed to do well in NE. He is big and if we are running well should be open sometimes:confused:

One would think so, perhaps that part of the offense is not in the weekley playbook yet. IF it is someone should be calling it>>MIkey where are you?

broncosfanscott
10-02-2007, 12:22 AM

Yep, our defense needs to give our offense more chances to score. Whatever the reasons are I just hope we fix it soon.

TXBRONC
10-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Part of the problem has been just lack of execution in the red zone.

gobroncsnv
10-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Seems like we are not trying the FB pass this year. Last year, Kyle made several plays from inside the 10. Did any of our current FB's who replaced him have this ability?

Lonestar
10-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Part of the problem has been just lack of execution in the red zone.

Is it that or the play calling? or perhaps both last week we went from heavy duty running all the way there and suddenly ask Jay to make his first pass in a long time.

1-10-DEN 36 (14:54) 20-T.Henry left tackle to DEN 46 for 10 yards (21-B.Sanders, 58-G.Brackett).
1-10-DEN 46 (14:22) 20-T.Henry left tackle to IND 49 for 5 yards (54-F.Keiaho).
2-5-IND 49 (13:45) 20-T.Henry left end to IND 35 for 14 yards (41-A.Bethea, 94-R.Morris).
1-10-IND 35 (13:08) 20-T.Henry right end to IND 20 for 15 yards (41-A.Bethea).
1-10-IND 20 (12:24) 20-T.Henry up the middle to IND 17 for 3 yards (94-R.Morris, 58-G.Brackett).
2-7-IND 17 (11:47) 6-J.Cutler pass incomplete short left to 15-B.Marshall.
3-7-IND 17 (11:41) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass incomplete deep right to 15-B.Marshall [93-D.Freeney].

Just have to wonder how tight he was not even getting a light tap from the defense, his adrenalin had to be on the moon.

Seems like we are not trying the FB pass this year. Last year, Kyle made several plays from inside the 10. Did any of our current FB's who replaced him have this ability?

I think that Mike Bell who I think was not even active can and was quite good at it last year.

xX-Bronco-Xx
10-02-2007, 07:16 PM
We really need to bring back the tight ends in the end zone.

Last year didn't Cutler and Scheffler have huge pay days in the end zone when they were together?

sanluis
10-02-2007, 07:34 PM

I think it has more to do with the loss of the coaches that implemented the blocking schemes for the O-line in Denver. Then the age of some of the key players on the O-line have taken a little of the pop out of the line.

LoyalSoldier
10-02-2007, 09:43 PM

Last year we were 2nd in Score % and 8th in TD %

TXBRONC
10-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Last year we were 2nd in Score % and 8th in TD %

I forgot about that, our problem last year wasn't that we failed to score in the red zone, the problem was we weren't getting into the red zone.

Watchthemiddle
10-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Is it that or the play calling? or perhaps both last week we went from heavy duty running all the way there and suddenly ask Jay to make his first pass in a long time.

1-10-DEN 36 (14:54) 20-T.Henry left tackle to DEN 46 for 10 yards (21-B.Sanders, 58-G.Brackett).
1-10-DEN 46 (14:22) 20-T.Henry left tackle to IND 49 for 5 yards (54-F.Keiaho).
2-5-IND 49 (13:45) 20-T.Henry left end to IND 35 for 14 yards (41-A.Bethea, 94-R.Morris).
1-10-IND 35 (13:08) 20-T.Henry right end to IND 20 for 15 yards (41-A.Bethea).
1-10-IND 20 (12:24) 20-T.Henry up the middle to IND 17 for 3 yards (94-R.Morris, 58-G.Brackett).
2-7-IND 17 (11:47) 6-J.Cutler pass incomplete short left to 15-B.Marshall.
3-7-IND 17 (11:41) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass incomplete deep right to 15-B.Marshall [93-D.Freeney].

Just have to wonder how tight he was not even getting a light tap from the defense, his adrenalin had to be on the moon.

I think that Mike Bell who I think was not even active can and was quite good at it last year.

Well I according to those stats its not play calling its definately execution.

On the incomplete pass to Marshall on 2nd and 7 Marshall was W I D E Open

On the 3rd and 7 pass Marshall was doubled...but Stokley was W I D E open.
If Cutler would have hit Marshall on 2nd or Looked away from Marshall on 3rd then we might have either made a first down or scored a TD.

broncosfanscott
10-03-2007, 01:08 AM
We really need to bring back the tight ends in the end zone.

Last year didn't Cutler and Scheffler have huge pay days in the end zone when they were together?

That was one of the things I liked about Cutler last year because Scheffler got more involved in the passing game and created some mismatches in the red zone. Tony had 4 TDs in those 5 games Cutler started. However, TS got injured during preseason and is trying to get back into form even though he as played some snaps the past few weeks. I am glad to see that Graham got more involved in the Indy game. Now if we can get Scheffler healthy and his timing down, we will be set.