PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey: "I am a top 5 cornerback"

Chidoze
07-31-2011, 12:02 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18583141

Having just turned 33 in a job that usually spits out 30-somethings, Champ Bailey is aware some folks say quarterbacks aren't as afraid of him as they used to be. When passers really need a completion, they're a little more willing to look his way.

But ask him where he believes his game is as his 13th season approaches and Bailey is bluntly confident.

"I'm still elite, definitely," Bailey said. "I'm still one of the top-five corners in this game. I look at my whole game, not just covering, not just tackling, not just one area, my whole game. I'm definitely one of the elite — still."

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com
I think Bailey is top 3 IMO. Revis, Asomugha, and Bailey. Not necessarily in that order either.

Chidoze
07-31-2011, 12:09 AM
I'll say this, I would have been heart broken if they hadnt re-signed Champ Bailey. He's one of my favorite Broncos of all time.

Dzone
07-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Man I hope he proves those words right this year. We are going to need all the help we can get this year to make the playoffs. The super bowl is going to suck this year in Indianoplis, so if we dont make it, the next year it should be in a better city. Who wants to go visit Indianpolis in february anyway?

MileHiWildcat
07-31-2011, 12:16 AM
Hate to say it Champ....but you are dreaming.

shank
07-31-2011, 12:16 AM
he damned well ******* absolutely is still top 5.

Canmore
07-31-2011, 12:17 AM
Man I hope he proves those words right this year. We are going to need all the help we can get this year to make the playoffs. The super bowl is going to suck this year in Indianoplis, so if we dont make it, the next year it should be in a better city. Who wants to go visit Indianpolis in february anyway?

Who wants to visit Indianapolis period?

BeefStew25
07-31-2011, 12:36 AM

Run into traffic.

MileHiWildcat
07-31-2011, 12:37 AM
Champ is definitely Top 5 in the CFL or Pop Warner. He got burned plenty of times last year.

Canmore
07-31-2011, 12:38 AM

I think Bailey is top 3 IMO. Revis, Asomugha, and Bailey. Not necessarily in that order either.

No matter what his age, healthy, Bailey is in the discussion. He covers, and he tackles better than anyone in the league. I'm so glad we re-signed him. He's one of the best of all time and still playing at a high level. :beer:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-31-2011, 12:41 AM
Champ is definitely Top 5 in the CFL or Pop Warner. He got burned plenty of times last year.

Thanks for spreading your cheer....http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m178/jezalmaarzoheten/animated%20gif/walking03.gif

Now run along....you can get back to your TAB cola and re-runs of "Married with Children".

dogfish
07-31-2011, 12:44 AM

what the hell are you mumbling about?

nevcraw
07-31-2011, 12:49 AM

i must say with all that campground squatting it's gotta be tough to watch a lot of football while eating muscrat.

Lonestar
07-31-2011, 01:04 AM
what the hell are you mumbling about?

yo dog do not feed the trolls this is what the troll wants, attention..

WARHORSE
07-31-2011, 01:08 AM

Your wisdom is beyond measure..........

because you have shown yourself to have NONE.

Dzone
07-31-2011, 01:15 AM
I think milehiwildcat either went to sleep, or went to another board to torment more people and wreak havoc...lol

shank
07-31-2011, 01:20 AM

i remember my first opinion.

DenBronx
07-31-2011, 01:32 AM
I can see Champ easily being a top 5 CB in this league.

We have had a horrid....horrid...defense the last 6 years or so and you cant blame Champ for that. He has been a victim of a horrible neglect to a struggling DLine for most of his career here.

Without Champ teams would not only run on us at will but also pass on us at will.

He's one of my favorite Broncos and a stand up guy. Could have easily left for more money to a contender. He didnt even want to test the market. I really hope this team gets better not just for me as a fan but for Bailey as a Bronco. With a defense like the Packers, Ravens, Jets ect Bailey would be getting his due respect.

Nnamdi only plays one side of the field and most of the time covers #2 and #3 WR's. Bailey at least will cancel out #1 WR's. Not to mention, he is great tackler! And teams rarely throw at him.

sneakers
07-31-2011, 03:47 AM
Ok, I believe you, don't beat me up!

underrated29
07-31-2011, 03:49 AM

Ok I just got back from a wedding and a great night with a girl I took to prom way back in high school so I could be slightly off base but....ARE YOU F***ING RETARDED! Or just an idiot?!?!?!!

Have a nice night.

Bugs Baloney
07-31-2011, 04:15 AM
Champ gets into the top 5 with his presence alone,

add skill to that aura and you have a top 3 CB :listen:

BroncoStud
07-31-2011, 08:46 AM

I think if you put Champ on the JETS rosther and put Revis on our roster, Champ is still an elite CB and Revis isn't.

Champ is #2 in my opinion, only Aso is better. Revis has the luxury of an amazing pass rush. Champ is hands down the better all-around CB, even at his age.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-31-2011, 09:21 AM
For such a no talent hack, Bailey appears to be pretty much having his way with our QBs so far in camp. Nobody is really able to throw at him with any regularity. I think he's picked off more Orton/Tebow passes than they've actually completed on him...

tomjonesrocks
07-31-2011, 10:38 AM
Have said it before, but am just *astounded* Bailey wanted to remain on this team in its current state. I'm glad--its one of the scant few recent positives for Broncos fans--but am really surprised he didn't opt to win instead.

Canmore
07-31-2011, 12:36 PM
I think if you put Champ on the JETS rosther and put Revis on our roster, Champ is still an elite CB and Revis isn't.

Champ is #2 in my opinion, only Aso is better. Revis has the luxury of an amazing pass rush. Champ is hands down the better all-around CB, even at his age.

My thinking exactly. I think Revis is slightly overrated. Iirc he didn't have such a hot season last year. He got burned a number of times after holding out and was injured on top of it. He would not be the same player if he didin't play for the Jets. This isn't to say he not top 3. I just don't think he's the best.

Asomugha is the best shutdown corner in the league and has been so for the last couple of years. Quarterbacks just do not throw the ball his way. Will he be the same player now that he is switching conferences will be interesting to watch.

Bailey may be 33 but he continues to play at a high level with very little support. Hopefully, this year, we will have a pass rush. A defensive backs best friend is a pass rush. With Doom back and Miller hopefully we will get after the passer and create some turnovers. And it doesn't get much hype but Champ is the best in run support.

DenBronx
07-31-2011, 02:30 PM
My thinking exactly. I think Revis is slightly overrated. Iirc he didn't have such a hot season last year. He got burned a number of times after holding out and was injured on top of it. He would not be the same player if he didin't play for the Jets. This isn't to say he not top 3. I just don't think he's the best.

Asomugha is the best shutdown corner in the league and has been so for the last couple of years. Quarterbacks just do not throw the ball his way. Will he be the same player now that he is switching conferences will be interesting to watch.

Bailey may be 33 but he continues to play at a high level with very little support. Hopefully, this year, we will have a pass rush. A defensive backs best friend is a pass rush. With Doom back and Miller hopefully we will get after the passer and create some turnovers. And it doesn't get much hype but Champ is the best in run support.

nnamdi is the best shutdown of #2 and #3 wr's. teams always send their #1 to the left side because nnamdi only covers the right and stays there the whole game.

Lonestar
07-31-2011, 02:31 PM

good post

BUT let me rain on your parade a bit about this year..

UNLESS something drastic happens at DT they will just run up the gut or at Doom at will. Therefore Champ will be irrelevant once again..

DenBronx
07-31-2011, 02:37 PM
good post

UNLESS something drastic happens at DT they will just run up the gut or at Doom at will. Therefore Champ will be irrelevant once again..

it wont matter how good our secondary is unless we stop the run. guys like raheem moore are going to get burnt the whole year unless we find a solution and yes bailey will be irrelevant.

sad but true.

Canmore
07-31-2011, 04:16 PM
good post

You are preaching to the choir. The hole at defensive tackle is the size of a Mac truck. Champ will be spending all of his time once again in run support. At least he can tackle. Doom versus the run is a problem. McFadden and Charles are licking their chops. I am dreading seeing those guys.

Canmore
07-31-2011, 04:24 PM
nnamdi is the best shutdown of #2 and #3 wr's. teams always send their #1 to the left side because nnamdi only covers the right and stays there the whole game.

I expect the Eagles to use Asomugha differently than Oakland did. We will see if he lives up to the contract and the billing.

DenBronx
07-31-2011, 04:41 PM
I expect the Eagles to use Asomugha differently than Oakland did. We will see if he lives up to the contract and the billing.

Yeah, no more safety net for him. The Eagles like to switch things up on defense so this will tell the real story of how good a shutdown corner he really is.

Ravage!!!
07-31-2011, 07:20 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoken like a true raider fan :rolleyes:

Clipworthy
07-31-2011, 07:32 PM
I'd take Champ over any other corner in the NFL. Revis and Nnamdi cover WR's for half the time Champ has had to in recent years due to horrible pressure. Just wait until Doom and Von are leaping over that line attacking like wild animals, Champ will get the pass rush he deserves and he will dominate.

shank
07-31-2011, 08:21 PM
good post

what the **** is this shit?

champ has never been irrelevant. even with our pitiful pass rush, he still makes the #1 WR a non-factor. bowe was the only guy to have a good game against champ last year and it was the retarded scheme we ran that game. the next time we played them, they let champ lock him down, and he didn't do shit.

champ with no pass rush is a top 5 corner. champ with a pass rush is the best corner in the league in all aspects of the game. :tothebank:

UrbanBounca
07-31-2011, 09:51 PM
I would put Champ at #5.

1. Aso
2. Revis
2. Samuel
4. Woodson
5. Bailey

That said, I think McCourty and Flowers are extremely close behind. You give them some experience, and they're easily top five.

shank
07-31-2011, 09:56 PM
I would put Champ at #5.

1. Aso
2. Revis
2. Samuel
4. Woodson
5. Bailey

That said, I think McCourty and Flowers are extremely close behind. You give them some experience, and they're easily top five.

based on what each player does on and off the field, i take champ over any other cb in the league.

age being a consideration, i would take a younger guy if you asked me which i want on my team for the long haul... but if it's who i want playing in the next game... don't even have to think about it.

Clipworthy
07-31-2011, 10:04 PM
How can anyone say Woodson is better than Champ? Woodson pulled a hammy trying to play man in the SB

Ravage!!!
07-31-2011, 11:19 PM
How can anyone say Woodson is better than Champ? Woodson pulled a hammy trying to play man in the SB

Not sure what that has to do with anything. Are you trying to say that Woodson didn't play man-to-man defense all season long? Champ has never missed time due to a pulled hamstring or ankle injury?

I would agree that one could argue back-n-forth as to whom is better, bailey or woodson.....but pulling a hammy has nothing to do with it.

Clipworthy
08-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Not sure what that has to do with anything. Are you trying to say that Woodson didn't play man-to-man defense all season long? Champ has never missed time due to a pulled hamstring or ankle injury?

I would agree that one could argue back-n-forth as to whom is better, bailey or woodson.....but pulling a hammy has nothing to do with it.

Woodson wasn't even used as a man-to-man cover corner the majority of the games he played. He was actually blitzing and up at the line most of the time... he isn't even the best cover corner on his team. He is a great instinct guy with a lot of play-making talent, but he is far from an elite cover corner in the game today

The hammy pull comment was relating to how when he WAS put in a man-to-man situation, he not only got burned and cost his team a TD, but he also hurt himself trying to keep up

Stargazer
08-01-2011, 01:02 AM
I'd take Champ over any other corner in the NFL. Revis and Nnamdi cover WR's for half the time Champ has had to in recent years due to horrible pressure.

Oh c'mon, lets not get homer here. Unfortunately, Champ is up there in age. I would take Revis or Nnamdi over Champ.

Ravage!!!
08-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Woodson wasn't even used as a man-to-man cover corner the majority of the games he played. He was actually blitzing and up at the line most of the time... he isn't even the best cover corner on his team. He is a great instinct guy with a lot of play-making talent, but he is far from an elite cover corner in the game today

The hammy pull comment was relating to how when he WAS put in a man-to-man situation, he not only got burned and cost his team a TD, but he also hurt himself trying to keep up

This is inaccurate. But if it makes you feel that you have said something that makes sense, more power to you. To which their own.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
08-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't take any other CB in the league over Champ either.

No bias. None at all. But realistically, he's bang on. Champ is definitely still a top five CB in the NFL. Although, that Asomugha guy is pretty decent I've heard.