PDA

View Full Version : Saturday camp report from Cecil Lammey (twitter)

titan
07-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Another detailed account of Broncos camp today from Cecil Lammey on his twitter account @cecillammey:

cecillammey Cecil Lammey
Time for some #broncos training camp notes!!! QB position still the hot talk, Orton and Quinn with the starters, Tebow with the scout team

Tebow's getting a lot of reps with the 'end of the bench' guys but they continue to let him down with more dropped passes and wrong routes

Orton has eyes for Brandon Lloyd, a smart move...unless Decker is wide open deep. this happened today, ED not as trusted right now I guess

Orton did try to go deep but was picked off by Champ, pass hung in air allowing Bailey to easily pluck it out of the air

Champ picked off Orton at least twice today, crowd went wild every time he did

Brady Quinn really impressing out there, nice over the top release, strong arm, and DECISIVE...not afraid to challenge defense

Quinn did have a couple of passes hit the dirt, but looked good for the most part

I even saw Quinn go to his 2nd and 3rd reads QUICKLY, then decisively get rid of the football, I must say looks like a diff guy out there

Tebow is not getting many reps with the top guys like Lloyd, mostly throwing to 'end of bench guys'

Tebow did keep a play alive with his feet, reversed field then flicked ball to Moreno when defense sucked up on him, Orton couldn't do that

Tebow had plenty of passes hit the dirt low, or off the mark, also drops continue to plague guys like D'Andre Goodwin

There was even one pass where Tebow threw it and nobody (not even defense) was there...NO, he was not throwing it away

moving on to the RBs where Moreno showed he was 'stronger' by beating up tackling sled!

okay, back at it...#broncos RB coach Eric Studesville wasn't cheesing today, he was in coaching mode and working his guys good out there!

tackling sled set up and guys had to hit it then move to other shoulder and hit, Moreno moved it back quite a bit but nothing like LWhite

guys were hitting the sled and then White came up and DESTROYED it, basically lifting it off the ground as he ran thru, almost tumbled over

I did like the explosion Moreno showed on that drill but he failed to carry it over to the practice field.

first, more of the bad: Moreno was slipping when cutting, getting swallowed up by defense, and found little running room, slow to the hole

Elvis Dumervil str8 up punished Moreno with a big hit from pursuit down the line, Moreno stretched it but failed to find/see cutback

DOOM made him pay, Moreno's lack of size has him getting thrown around like a rag doll

One play Moreno got to the 2nd level, LBer (Mays?) just gave him a shoulder (no wrap) and 27 goes flying off his feet like a rocket

bad news for a RB when he can't keep his feet after a mere shoulder, how is he going to run through arm tackles???

Moreno did have one big play, but even then his flaws came through...

he starts to strongside, bends back to inside, almost loses his feet but gets to 2nd level, 10+yds when...

Andre Goodman swoops in from OTHER SIDE of the field to trip him up with good lower body tackle

Moreno was supposed to be lighter and faster yet an old CB caught up with him from the other side of the field before he got 15yds deep

moving on.... Jeremiah Johnson was drawing applause from the crowd with his tough inside running, not the biggest but good leg drive.

as a receiver Jeremiah Johnson did a nice job of snatching passes out of the air, arms extended away from body

all the backs here have good/decent hands....well, except for LenDale LOL

on to UDFA Mario Fannin, a good day! He OWNED in backs on backers drills, very important for a young RB, u must pass protect!!

size makes him difficult to get by and he shows good determination as a blocker

Fannin was wowing the crowd on an outside play where he lane was wide open, he turned on that speed and was GONE down the sidelines, nice!

Fannin got to the edge and then outran my guy Chevis Jackson in the secondary, now THAT is a big play guy...

Fannin looks good with a lane, however still struggles to find daylight when middle is clogged, happened at NFLPA game & #broncos camp

Fannin is not a quick twitch guy, but I did like his hop cuts today to get to the cutback lane, big man has deceptive speed

Lance Ball is a good guy, avg runner, but good guy..showed good balance today, running hard on draw play

BTW, speaking of running hard too often I see Fannin/JJ/Ball sprinting thru after whistle, Moreno goes to whistle then jogs...curious

Lance Ball can stretch it outside, stays patient, waits for blocks to develop, had a big run with good burst on sidelines

cecillammey Cecil Lammey
Brandon Minor had a better day of practice today, showing good instincts and vision off tackle, hits hole hard

Okay, time for the BIG MAN LenDale White running hot, yes HOT for the #broncos - guy can stretch, dance, avoid trash at line of scrimmage

so nimble for a big back, it's fun to watch #motorboat - taking his job seriously now he seems to finally 'get it'

WATCHING LenDale he looks like a more mature runner, TALKING to LenDale he even sounds more mature - head is on his shoulders!

I talked to LenDale in HS #chatfieldchargersbaby - the day he was drafted - & on & off since then - never have I heard him so focused

Imagine a backfield (movie announcer voice) where Willis McGahee and LenDale White line up in the backfield at the same time...could happen!

really rooting for LenDale to make it, and have forgiven him for wiping his feet with the Terrible Towel years ago

Eddie Royal is back! Wow, has he really been impressive, he's working hard to be team's number 2 WR opposite Lloyd

Real quick on Lloyd, rinse/repeat what I've reported last 2 days, still making circus catches every day, can go up and sky for football

Brandon Lloyd's highwire act is sooo good even Flying Graysons say 'DAMN!' -- that's a #batman reference

okay, back to Royal - man is he playing sharp, every route except option/jerk guy is getting separation, making tough catches

Eddie showing good run after the catch ability too, speed on end arounds, wheels are there!

#broncos fans love Eric Decker, guy making plays in the end zone! back pylon, 2 feet down, it's E.D. at his best, good downfield/underneath

I really believe Decker can do it all, not much speed but guy knows how to use his frame to shield defenders away from ball

Decker making plays all over the field, did have a drop on crossing route though, may have been only drop by him on the day

Britt Davis made the notebook today! tough catch near sideline where he got lit up but held onto the football, do that more & he'll make it

Give it up for WR Jamel Hamler who was able to squirt under outstretched arm of defender for more RAC - good catch, good play!

Okay, one position left (I primarily watch skill position guys) the #broncos TEs coming up next - Quinn! JTsuperstar80 & Virgil too!

Richard Quinn making catches! yeah I know, I had to pick my jaw up off the ground too - but yeah he got open and caught a few

Quinn's game is about blocking...period, don't expect him to get more than 10 receptions on the season, TE targets belong to JTsuperstar80

before I get to JT, Virgil Green made some nice catches today but flaws that were there at Nevada still with him at #broncos camp

Virgil Green the good: saw him make crazy, twisting catch over the middle, arms way outstretched, str8 up #spiderman pose

too often though when it was on the numbers Virgil Green would let it slip through his fingers like Grand Moff Tarkin

I saw it on Nevada film, seeing it in person at #broncos training camp - Virgil Green will catch it wide open or high degree of difficulty

However, on the money hits the ground, plus he doesn't make contested catches with LB/S all over him

Plus..and this really bugs me...HE DOESN'T COME BACK TO THE FOOTBALL!! I feel like Charlie Brown when Lucy pulls the football away - AUUGGH!

passes are getting knocked away from Green, and that will continue until he learns how to drift a little, thinks too much about RAC

who's ready for some Julius Thomas is the man, I told you so, LOVE!?!

First off, I will admit my guy Julius Thomas did let me down one time (1time!) today, heard footsteps over middle and dropped the ball

okay, got that done, now on to the good stuff! Guy was getting open at will again, Safeties can't cover him, so silky smooth!

LBs can't cover Thomas, too fast for 'em! he's not even developed as a route runner and still getting open easily

JT made Darcel McBath look slow footed as he smoked him downfield over the deep middle seam - jtsuperstar80 is what we call him

Obviously JT is very raw but the tools are there, he's an effort blocker but needs to improve there in addition to learning route tree

one problem I do have with JT, seems winded, after plays he'll get back to huddle a little slower than others, like to see him pick it up

@TaiwanRyan1980 Brady Quinn looks completely different this year, decisive and most importantly -- confident

Dzone
07-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Excellent info again! Thanks!
jtsuperstar80!!!!!
great to hear about Lendale White too!

underrated29
07-31-2011, 12:01 AM
Ce il seems to have seen about the same that I had in mu report but a few exceptions. I think he has a hard on for jerk
ish johnson and hates knowshon. Also he was not watching #29people because he is the worst player. He blows! The fast I agree

shank
07-31-2011, 01:23 AM
Ce il seems to have seen about the same that I had in mu report but a few exceptions. I think he has a hard on for jerk
ish johnson and hates knowshon. Also he was not watching #29people because he is the worst player. He blows! The fast I agree

i agree, the accounts of those players feel really biased, feels like he's seeing what he wants to see and ignoring the rest. still good info though.

your writeup was way sexier though buddy.

Juriga72
07-31-2011, 12:57 PM
So Orton with no pressure on his is now flaoting deep passes so that they are "Easily picked off by Champ"...

Again.... WHY is he on our team?

horsepig
07-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Chill a little Jur, it'll all work out, I sure hope so anyway.

Juriga72
07-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Chill a little Jur, it'll all work out, I sure hope so anyway.

I am really hope he somehow figures out what to do this year..