PDA

View Full Version : Ubaldo Jimenez trade to Cleveland Indians appears imminent

Denver Native (Carol)
07-30-2011, 07:05 PM
SAN DIEGO — The Colorado Rockies are in serious discussion with the Cleveland Indians in a trade regarding ace Ubaldo Jimenez.

The Rockies are interested in Double-A left-handed starter Drew Pomeranz, 22, who was scratched from his start tonight.

A package would also likely include minor league second baseman Jason Kipnis and Triple-A starter Alex White. The three are considered the Indians' top prospects.

Jimenez was scheduled to start tonight's game for the Rockies vs. the Padres, but he was a late scratch — another indication the deal is close.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_18586331

MOtorboat
07-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Ugh...those two starter better be good for this trade to mean much of anything. Hopefully, they've done their scouting work and they are fastball/change/hard slider pitchers. Last thing they need are loopers...

Denver Native (Carol)
07-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Ugh...those two starter better be good for this trade to mean much of anything. Hopefully, they've done their scouting work and they are fastball/change/hard slider pitchers. Last thing they need are loopers...

I totally agree - but I am hoping it fell thru, as first, it was reported that Ubaldo was scratched as the starting pitcher tonight, but NOW, he is in the bullpen getting loose - they just said he has NOT been traded to the Cleveland Indians as previously reported.

Kapaibro
07-30-2011, 07:36 PM

Denver Native (Carol)
07-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Something absolutely unbelievable is happening right now - Ubaldo is pitching, and now they have Rogers warming up in the bullpen - What a piece of CRAP - appears they are going to pull Ubaldo the minute this is finalized - HOW UNPROFESSIONAL

Denver Native (Carol)
07-30-2011, 08:10 PM
It's a done deal - he's GONE :tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk:

chazoe60
07-30-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm not a big fan of the two teams I'm a big fan of right now.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-30-2011, 08:32 PM
SAN DIEGO — The Rockies have agreed in principle on a deal sending Ubaldo Jimenez to the Cleveland Indians. Jimenez threw 41 pitches in first inning tonight and then hugged teammates in the dugout, signaling the end to his Rockies career. He was replaced by Esmil Rogers.

As first reported by The Denver Post, the Rockies will receive a package of four players: left-handed pitcher Drew Pomeranz, right-handed pitcher Alex White and Joe Gardner, and first baseman Matt McBride.

There's a wrinkle with Pomeranz, the prize pitcher in the Indians' organization. He can't officially be traded until a year after he signed — mid August — so he would have to be announced as a player to be named later.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_18586331

MOtorboat
07-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Troy Renck, Rockies beat writer for the post, pwned this one. He did an excellent job and was spot on through the whole process, and that led to him getting credit for breaking it...

For anyone who cares...:)

Agent of Orange
07-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Troy Renck, Rockies beat writer for the post, pwned this one. He did an excellent job and was spot on through the whole process, and that led to him getting credit for breaking it...

He said NY was the frontrunner to land Jiminez.

MOtorboat
07-30-2011, 10:56 PM

He said NY was the frontrunner to land Jiminez.

They were, but they didn't have the prospects to get it done. Cleveland did. Renck did an excellent job of reporting what happened. Again, no grand conspiracy.

MileHiWildcat
07-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Apparently, the same morons that run the Broncos run the Rockies. This is a JOKE of a Sports Town.

MOtorboat
07-31-2011, 12:27 AM
Apparently, the same morons that run the Broncos run the Rockies. This is a JOKE of a Sports Town.

Actually, what the Rockies received in compensation is well above what they gave up.

Think two of the top pitching prospects in the game.

Those in the know, know this trade turned out, or will turn out, well for the Rockies.

MileHiWildcat
07-31-2011, 12:49 AM
Actually, what the Rockies received in compensation is well above what they gave up.

Think two of the top pitching prospects in the game.

Those in the know, know this trade turned out, or will turn out, well for the Rockies.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen someone post on a message board. You "in the know" ?? LMFAO.

BroncoAV06
07-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Same reaction when Matt Holliday was traded. How's that Cargo dude working out?

Yes it sucks but it happened, I'm not jumpping ship yet. Not like Ubaldo was 20-0 and the Rockies were about to wrap up the NL West. Ubaldo is an awesome guy and pitcher, nowhe just happens to be taking his talents to Cleveland.

What a crappy year, never expect good things from Colorado and then its a bonus when something good happens.

CoachChaz
07-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Prospects are exactly thay, but what the Rockies got in return for a pitcher that is a bit overrated, can be a complete haul if they pan out.

Yes, I said overrated. Just because a guy is an ace on a mediocre team, it doesnt make him a true ace. There are only a handful of them in the entire major leagues

MOtorboat
07-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Prospects are exactly thay, but what the Rockies got in return for a pitcher that is a bit overrated, can be a complete haul if they pan out.

Yes, I said overrated. Just because a guy is an ace on a mediocre team, it doesnt make him a true ace. There are only a handful of them in the entire major leagues

It's like Cleveland panicked. And from what I've seen from the Indians this year is a lot of overachievement this season from players, so maybe they see this as their one shot, which would shock me. I think they might win the division, but they'll get knocked out in the divisional round if they do.

Agent of Orange
07-31-2011, 03:54 PM
They were, but they didn't have the prospects to get it done. Cleveland did. Renck did an excellent job of reporting what happened. Again, no grand conspiracy.

You're contradicting yourself. Since it required prospects, NY was never the frontrunner. The only reason they said this is because Yankee fans are more likely to tune in if there's some fake news that makes it look like something could affect their team. ESPN is based in Bristol which is between Boston and NY. Half the people that work at ESPN are Boston fans. The other half are NY fans. The programming is both self-serving and catering to local interest.

MOtorboat
07-31-2011, 04:16 PM

You're contradicting yourself. Since it required prospects, NY was never the frontrunner. The only reason they said this is because Yankee fans are more likely to tune in if there's some fake news that makes it look like something could affect their team. ESPN is based in Bristol which is between Boston and NY. Half the people that work at ESPN are Boston fans. The other half are NY fans. The programming is both self-serving and catering to local interest.

So why would the beat writer for the Denver paper, you know, in Denver, Colo., nearly a thousand miles away, cater to New York fans, again? Because that's the person who was reporting that.

For the, I think, fourth time. Troy Renck doesn't work for ESPN.

Agent of Orange
07-31-2011, 04:24 PM
So why would the beat writer for the Denver paper, you know, in Denver, Colo., nearly a thousand miles away, cater to New York fans, again? Because that's the person who was reporting that.

Its good for Renck to expand his exposure, especially when you consider that newspapers are a dying industry. It also strokes their egos to be on national TV in some cases.

Its also worth considering that the substance of what he discusses might already be mapped out by the programming director and the show hosts. I'm not sure how that works though.

MOtorboat
07-31-2011, 04:38 PM

Its good for Renck to expand his exposure, especially when you consider that newspapers are a dying industry. It also strokes their egos to be on national TV in some cases.

Its also worth considering that the substance of what he discusses might already be mapped out by the programming director and the show hosts. I'm not sure how that works though.

What shows are you talking about?

And though some newspapers are struggling, the Post isn't, and that beat isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

West
08-05-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm just now hearing of this trade (where the hell have I been?).

Why are we trading away the ace of our staff?

We just signed Car Go and Tulo to big money, long term deals in the off season. I figured the Rockies were preparing for a title run by doing so. Yeah this season hasn't been what we expected as fans, but to trade away our ace after locking up our two best players?

WTF. I don't understand. Someone make sense of this for me.

MOtorboat
08-07-2011, 09:10 AM

We just signed Car Go and Tulo to big money, long term deals in the off season. I figured the Rockies were preparing for a title run by doing so. Yeah this season hasn't been what we expected as fans, but to trade away our ace after locking up our two best players?

He's a decent No. 2 who had an ace-like year in 2010...his stock was at its peak, and they'd already paid Cargo and Tulo. I wouldn't get too upset about it. It should be a good trade.

CoachChaz
08-07-2011, 10:45 AM

He's a decent No. 2 who had an ace-like year in 2010...his stock was at its peak, and they'd already paid Cargo and Tulo. I wouldn't get too upset about it. It should be a good trade.

Considering how often he forgets his mechanics and has to be coached non stop, being called a "decent" #2 is a blessing. He had an ace like half of a year in 2010. At his best, he's a 2, but in my opinion, Cleveland gave up the farm for a solid #3. He may be a 1 or 2 on many teams, but when you say ACE and put him in a class with CC, Doc, Verlander, Lincecum, Lester, and a few others...it's giving him way too much credit.

I've always felt that dealing talent away for prospects was semi-idiotic, but...if the guys the Rox got in return do pan out...they win this trade hands down

West
08-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Considering how often he forgets his mechanics and has to be coached non stop, being called a "decent" #2 is a blessing. He had an ace like half of a year in 2010. At his best, he's a 2, but in my opinion, Cleveland gave up the farm for a solid #3. He may be a 1 or 2 on many teams, but when you say ACE and put him in a class with CC, Doc, Verlander, Lincecum, Lester, and a few others...it's giving him way too much credit.

I've always felt that dealing talent away for prospects was semi-idiotic, but...if the guys the Rox got in return do pan out...they win this trade hands down

I don't think he'd be the ACE on those staffs by a large margin.. But he was the ace of our staff.

Agent of Orange
08-07-2011, 04:48 PM
I don't think he'd be the ACE on those staffs by a large margin.. But he was the ace of our staff.

Yeah, but at this point you're weighing the odds he'll regain his form from the first half of 2010 against one or some of the prospects being good. I'm not so sure there's a greater certainty Jiminez will regain his form from last year. Meanwhile, if you hit on a couple of the prospect, you've come out ahead. Just one of them has to be good to break even at worst.

MOtorboat
08-07-2011, 05:05 PM

Exactly. He's not a true ace. Cleveland gave up two of the best pitching prospects in the game for him, which is possibly more than Cleveland received for C.C., or the Royals received for Greinke, and Jimenez isn't as good as those two pitchers. It was a king's ransom, in terms of a trade. Now, one or two of those guys have to be solid contributors at the big league level to make that work. Pomeranz might be a true ace.

West
08-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Exactly. He's not a true ace. Cleveland gave up two of the best pitching prospects in the game for him, which is possibly more than Cleveland received for C.C., or the Royals received for Greinke, and Jimenez isn't as good as those two pitchers. It was a king's ransom, in terms of a trade. Now, one or two of those guys have to be solid contributors at the big league level to make that work. Pomeranz might be a true ace.

That makes some sense.

It was just odd to me that we signed Tulo and Car Go to big time deals then trade our best pitcher. We went from expecting to win now then looking more long term.