PDA

View Full Version : NFL provides end-zone elation

Peerless
11-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Did you guys see it?

It was like he was digging something outta his pants... and about to take something out when Stokes ran up and blocked it, and telling him to stop...

G_Money
11-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Something very, VERY stupid.

Did he lose a dare to Porter in their war of words or something?

~G

Cutler6MVP
It was something clear, im sure it was something stupid. Thank god stokely was there to stop him before he hurt the team by getting a suspension.

Northman
Who knows, but thank God Stokes has a level head.

Peerless
11-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Stokes deserves some MAJOR props from the coaching staff..

He's the eyes and ears out there. He just came in and BLOCKED it, followed by Graham.

Gamechanger
11-06-2008, 11:25 PM
he was bout to tell the haters to suck his dizzle

slim
11-06-2008, 11:27 PM
IDK, I'm just glad stokes was there to stop it. Hell, there were quite a few that came over, so it must have been something he planned.

Mike
11-06-2008, 11:29 PM
He said it was a black and white glove...wanted to represent the unity the US needs to have. Motivated by Obama's win.

DenBronx
11-06-2008, 11:32 PM
oh god marshall dont start this owens and ocho stinko crap. have some class like smith did and please grow up.

on another note. thanks for catching the game winner!

Peerless
Nice.

Slick
He was about to show his ass.

G_Money
11-06-2008, 11:34 PM
He said it was a black and white glove...wanted to represent the unity the US needs to have. Motivated by Obama's win.

If that's true, I'm suddenly much more okay with it. My football stars don't need to be making lots of political statements, but there are worse things Marshall could be doing than pondering coming together and working towards a common goal.

Might want to start with your own team first though, Brandon. Come together with those guys and let the nation take care of itself.

~G

weazel
11-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Did you guys see it?

It was like he was digging something outta his pants... and about to take something out when Stokes ran up and blocked it, and telling him to stop...

what was he going to do?

he was about to take a penalty!

what a selfish moron

EastCoastBronco
11-06-2008, 11:36 PM
That's a primadonna for you...Doesn't do anything all night (up until then) and all he can think about is himself. The way Cribbs was returning kicks...a 15 yard unsportsmanlike could have killed us....What an ass.
Nice work Stokes...

weazel
11-06-2008, 11:38 PM

maybe good intentions, but its a penalty.

I dont care if it was the holy grail. if its against the rules, dont do it

BroncoJoe
11-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Thank God for Stokley.

JKcatch724
11-06-2008, 11:40 PM
He was about to show Joey Porter what a "Peezy" really was.

G_Money
11-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Yep. Stokley saved our bacon there.

At least he has his head on straight. Wear the glove in the press conference, and just hand the ball meekly back to the ref during games please.

Follow LT's example. Act like you've been there before and everything else works out.

~G

weazel
11-06-2008, 11:43 PM
it the gloves were that important, why didnt he just wear the black and white gloves during the game? he's stupid.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-06-2008, 11:44 PM
If that's true, I'm suddenly much more okay with it. My football stars don't need to be making lots of political statements, but there are worse things Marshall could be doing than pondering coming together and working towards a common goal.

Might want to start with your own team first though, Brandon. Come together with those guys and let the nation take care of itself.

~G

But not w/ 1 minute to go and a 4 pt lead. Dude has to use his head on that one.

NameUsedBefore
11-06-2008, 11:46 PM
He looked like he'd seen a ghost when Stokely came running up. Nice sentiment, Marshall, but like others said do it in the post-game.

NightTrainLayne
11-06-2008, 11:47 PM

~G

yes, after watching his explanation after the game, I was suddenly all for it. He made a very impassioned speech about it.

Still, I'm glad Stokely stopped him. Cleveland didn't need the 15 yards. But this wasn't about Marshall, it was about how the recent election has brought Black people and white people together more. . .I'm glad he sees it that way, and wanted to celebrate the positive side of Obama's win.

slim
11-06-2008, 11:51 PM
yes, after watching his explanation after the game, I was suddenly all for it. He made a very impassioned speech about it.

Still, I'm glad Stokely stopped him. Cleveland didn't need the 15 yards. But this wasn't about Marshall, it was about how the recent election has brought Black people and white people together more. . .I'm glad he sees it that way, and wanted to celebrate the positive side of Obama's win.

I don't give a rip what the reason was. You can't cost your team 15 yards, period.

BM needs a boot in the ass...imo.

Northman
11-06-2008, 11:52 PM
But not w/ 1 minute to go and a 4 pt lead. Dude has to use his head on that one.

EXACTLY. Everything has its time and place. That wasnt one of them.

G_Money
11-06-2008, 11:53 PM

Right. I assume he was gonna do it when he scored a touchdown, and it just didn't happen at the right time. Marshall had his head in a weird place all night. bad routes, dropped passes...

I'm just glad Stokley saved him from messing something else up.

~G

NightTrainLayne
11-06-2008, 11:55 PM
I don't give a rip what the reason was. You can't cost your team 15 yards, period.

BM needs a boot in the ass...imo.

Yes, yes, yes, but I'm more inclinded to forgive him due to his reasoning. It was wrong, and I'm glad he didn't carry it out.

Also. .. he listened to Stokely. That is a small furtive sign of maturity. BM a year ago would have brushed Stokely aside and done it anyways, but Stokely was able to get to him and he listened to Stokely. . .Thank God, because Cribbs returning with another 15 yards would be too much.

scott.475
11-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Stokely is a class act.

Brandon has a lot of passion, good. Offering up a penalty, bad.

BigCurly1230
11-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Yep. Stokley saved our bacon there.

At least he has his head on straight. Wear the glove in the press conference, and just hand the ball meekly back to the ref during games please.

Follow LT's example. Act like you've been there before and everything else works out.

~G

I hate hearing LT as an example ... he does that stupid signature "I'm a little teapot" ball flip every time he scores....
Im proud of our guys this year...usually they will jump and bump, and high five eachother...
If only we could get them to bring back the mile high salute!!!!
:salute:

BigSarge87
11-07-2008, 12:23 AM
I hate hearing LT as an example ... he does that stupid signature "I'm a little teapot" ball flip every time he scores....

:salute:

I hate that also, that is so annoying, just shows how big of a girl he has become

G_Money
11-07-2008, 12:26 AM
He's had a lot of practice at it.

I'd love for any of our guys to be as practiced at returning the ball to the umps after touchdowns as LT is.

~G

BeefStew25
11-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Black and white glove huh?

What about the Latinos and Asians?

BigCurly1230
11-07-2008, 12:29 AM
He's had a lot of practice at it.

I'd love for any of our guys to be as practiced at returning the ball to the umps after touchdowns as LT is.

~G

My Point: he doesnt return the ball to the umps
Barry Sanders returned the ball to the umps

NightTrainLayne
11-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Black and white glove huh?

What about the Latinos and Asians?

Marshall had a plan for that. . .see when the ref threw the yellow flag next to the brown ball on the ground that would represent all the colors coming together.

NameUsedBefore
11-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Marshall had a plan for that. . .see when the ref threw the yellow flag next to the brown ball on the ground that would represent all the colors coming together.

Native Americans obviously represented by the huge stadium and the existence of America.

Bronco4ever
11-07-2008, 02:41 AM
After thinking about it, does anyone think that Marshall's poor performance earlier in the game was partly due because he was planning to make such a huge political stand in a prime time game? He seemed very studdery during his press conferences when asked about the glove. It seems to fit given how strangely he was going about exposing the glove after he scored. The whole thing just seemed so weird to begin with.

OrangeStar7
11-07-2008, 02:57 AM

~G

"Right on!" said the aging hippy! :rockon: "Show all those BRONCO FANS in the stadium an ORANGE and BLUE gLOVE!!" :love:

Den21vsBal19
11-07-2008, 03:24 AM
Did you guys see it?

Reading that makes me think of Cleavon Little in Blazing Saddles

http://www.thingsyoungerthanmccain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/cleavon.jpg

Excuse me while I whip this out. :lol:

Glad Stoke's was on hand to stop him making an ass of himself :salute:

CoachChaz
11-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Obviously others knew about this plan since they kind of swarmed him more for that reason that to celebrate the TD catch. Had he actually caught the other one earlier instead of whining about a PI penalty, maybe it wouldnt have been as costly, but at the end of the game he needs to think about the repercussion and the situation at hand.

I wish the team would give him a "blanket party". You can just see the frustration on their faces with him. Good thing Royal is what he is, because BM is going to work himself off of this team, if not the entire league.

Nomad
11-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Glad to see TD and the other guys on NFLN aren't applauding Marshall for trying to be political, selfish, and cost the team. Rather they are giving an attaboy to Stokley for doing what's best for the team and stopping Marshall.

Bronco Bible
11-07-2008, 09:04 AM
oh god marshall dont start this owens and ocho stinko crap. have some class like smith did and please grow up.

on another note. thanks for catching the game winner!

I hoped he would have learned his lesson but being proud is one thing being stupid is a whole diifferant animal:tsk:

MOtorboat
11-07-2008, 09:08 AM
it the gloves were that important, why didnt he just wear the black and white gloves during the game? he's stupid.

I'm sure there's some retarded rule about what color your gloves can be, or that they can't have anything on them, or some such nonsense. Remember, this is the league that wouldn't let Peyton Manning where black shoes because it was against uniform code.

CoachChaz
11-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Somehow I doubt he was going to pull out a glove to represent racial unity. Call me crazy

Bronco Bible
11-07-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm sure there's some retarded rule about what color your gloves can be, or that they can't have anything on them, or some such nonsense. Remember, this is the league that wouldn't let Peyton Manning where black shoes because it was against uniform code.

I'm sorry MO retarded or not it IS a rule that should be followed, it is a totally differant case than Manning wanting to wear high top shoes.

MOtorboat
11-07-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm sorry MO retarded or not it IS a rule that should be followed, it is a totally differant case than Manning wanting to wear high top shoes.

If the gloves were just black and white, then its the exact same thing as what Manning wanted to do, it doesn't matter the reason. If there was something written on the glove, then that's a little different.

Nomad
11-07-2008, 09:16 AM

Uniformity! It's a team sport not an individual sport! Glad there is a rule, imagine if there weren't!

Bronco Bible
11-07-2008, 09:18 AM
If the gloves were just black and white, then its the exact same thing as what Manning wanted to do, it doesn't matter the reason. If there was something written on the glove, then that's a little different.

You my learned friend are wrong. How is it the same?

Nomad
11-07-2008, 09:27 AM
More I listen to the interview after the game by Marshall and his reasoning, the more idiotic it sounds! Words from Forrest Gump, "Sorry to ruin your Black Panther party"!

MOtorboat
11-07-2008, 09:27 AM
You my learned friend are wrong. How is it the same?

Would you have noticed if he had been wearing a black glove all night. Would you have cared?

Bronco Bible
11-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Would you have noticed if he had been wearing a black glove all night. Would you have cared?

No. your point is?:confused:

MOtorboat
11-07-2008, 09:31 AM
No. your point is?:confused:

You just proved my point. If he had been allowed to wear a black glove in honor of whatever he wanted to honor, no one would have cared.

Bronco Bible
11-07-2008, 09:40 AM
You just proved my point. If he had been allowed to wear a black glove in honor of whatever he wanted to honor, no one would have cared.

But he said the glove was half black&half white so I don't understand how I "proved your point" it is not the same thing. The rule for gloves if I remember correctly is that your gloves have got to be uniform so that a person cannot dye the gloves the opponents jersey color.not exact words but same basic plot.:listen:

broncogirl7
11-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Did you guys see it?

You know it would've been stupid! Thank goodness for Stockley and the others that ran into the end zone. That penalty could've cost us the game. Marshall...keep your head in the game and your hand out of your pants and think of your team!

MOtorboat
11-07-2008, 09:50 AM
But he said the glove was half black&half white so I don't understand how I "proved your point" it is not the same thing. The rule for gloves if I remember correctly is that your gloves have got to be uniform so that a person cannot dye the gloves the opponents jersey color.not exact words but same basic plot.:listen:

I'll buy that if the gloves were multicolored...

Either way...I'm glad the Broncos didn't get the penalty.

Bronco Bible
11-07-2008, 09:56 AM
I'll buy that if the gloves were multicolored...

Either way...I'm glad the Broncos didn't get the penalty.

We are in agreement on that point!!!:salute:

horsesense
11-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Im siding with Coach on this one. He was up to something that woulda cost us a 15 yarder, and who knows what kinda junk that wouldve broght on. Instead of planning for some foolish celebration he should be memorizing his routes, and where he should be blocking on running plays, and how to hang on to catches thrown at his chest.

BigDaddyBronco
11-07-2008, 10:01 AM
I watched his interview on NFL Network with Eisen, Deon Sanders, etc. and they asked about it. He talked about the historic Obama election, black power salute, but half the glove was white to promote unity and everyone coming together. Then he explained how Stokely came over and told him the game was too close and he kind of "clicked" and didn't want his celebration to hurt the team.

He then went on and made, what I thought, were very positive comments. One, on Cutler's INT he said it was his fault as he slid the wrong direction for the type of zone Cleveland was in. Sanders said, "Wow, you never hear WR's say things like that." Marshall laughed but said it was true. Then they asked him about mentoring Royal, and he talked about how he talked to all the rookie players on the team and told them about his experiences and not to do what he has done. Then he made a comment about taking responsibility for his actions. All in all, my respect for Marshall grew after that interview.

I think I agree with the organization when they say he is immature, you see it in his actions and how he does things or says things without thinking about the consequences. That is why he read a statement during the press conference. In all of that, I don't get the feeling that he is a me-me guy, a bad teammate, or a bad guy. He is just a big kid. Hopefully, he continues to mature, because he is an asset on the field.

CoachChaz
11-07-2008, 10:05 AM
I watched his interview on NFL Network with Eisen, Deon Sanders, etc. and they asked about it. He talked about the historic Obama election, black power salute, but half the glove was white to promote unity and everyone coming together. Then he explained how Stokely came over and told him the game was too close and he kind of "clicked" and didn't want his celebration to hurt the team.

He then went on and made, what I thought, were very positive comments. One, on Cutler's INT he said it was his fault as he slid the wrong direction for the type of zone Cleveland was in. Sanders said, "Wow, you never hear WR's say things like that." Marshall laughed but said it was true. Then they asked him about mentoring Royal, and he talked about how he talked to all the rookie players on the team and told them about his experiences and not to do what he has done. Then he made a comment about taking responsibility for his actions. All in all, my respect for Marshall grew after that interview.

I think I agree with the organization when they say he is immature, you see it in his actions and how he does things or says things without thinking about the consequences. That is why he read a statement during the press conference. In all of that, I don't get the feeling that he is a me-me guy, a bad teammate, or a bad guy. He is just a big kid. Hopefully, he continues to mature, because he is an asset on the field.

Nice post. Couldnt agree with you more.

Bronco Bible
11-07-2008, 10:06 AM
does anyone else remember when BM did not drop passes?

CoachChaz
11-07-2008, 10:08 AM
does anyone else remember when BM did not drop passes?

The theme of the game last night was for receivers and DB's to whine about mystery PI calls. I dont think a pass play occurred where someone didnt bytch about it.

But, if BM is going to continue trying to be the next TO...the dropped passes have to be a part of his arsenal.

horsepig
11-07-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm curious, if he puts on the glove and waves his hand around to show it off while meandering to the Denver sideline' is that an automatic flag? The glove would not be on the field during live action, even a "black power" type salute would not be enough to draw a flag, IMO.

Fan in Exile
11-07-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm curious, if he puts on the glove and waves his hand around to show it off while meandering to the Denver sideline' is that an automatic flag? The glove would not be on the field during live action, even a "black power" type salute would not be enough to draw a flag, IMO.

I know that there is a rule against celebrating with any type of prop so I would guess that would draw a flag.

Nomad
11-07-2008, 10:16 AM

Would the 'black' power salute be considered a gang sign and does the NFL consider it as a gang sign similiar to the Nazi salute? Just questions not a big issue with me so don't flame me and doesn't the league have a rule of no gang signs and are monitoring this closely?:noidea:

MOtorboat
11-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Would the 'black' power salute be considered a gang sign and does the NFL consider it as a gang sign similiar to the Nazi salute? Just questions not a big issue with me so don't flame me and doesn't the league have a rule of no gang signs and are monitoring this closely?:noidea:

I think its the NBA that is really worried about it, but I'm sure the NFL wouldn't look very highly on it either.

Marshall needs to take Stokley out to one big dinner, because he saved him 15,000 bones.

LawDog
11-07-2008, 11:12 AM
I think its the NBA that is really worried about it, but I'm sure the NFL wouldn't look very highly on it either.

Marshall needs to take Stokley out to one big dinner, because he saved him 15,000 bones.

It's actually 30 large for using a prop. I'm curious if the league will try to fine him anyway, especially since the commish gave him a one game discount on his suspension for "good behavior".

Stokley is the greatest wingman. ever.

atwater27
11-07-2008, 11:17 AM

How gay of him.

atwater27
11-07-2008, 11:19 AM

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit just now.

MOtorboat
11-07-2008, 11:23 AM
It's actually 30 large for using a prop. I'm curious if the league will try to fine him anyway, especially since the commish gave him a one game discount on his suspension for "good behavior".

Stokley is the greatest wingman. ever.

The only possible way they can fine him for that incident is because they now know what he was planning to do, and I don't think they should do that at all.

I could plan to do all sorts of crazy end zone dances with tons of props, but if I don't actually do them, can you still fine me?

NightTrainLayne
11-07-2008, 11:25 AM
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit just now.

This isn't the politics forum, but I like the sentiment that black people and white people be united and work together. . .. call me crazy or throw up in your mouth some more, but it's a good thought whether your Republican, Democrat, white or black. His heart was in the right place, even if his head wasn't.

NightTrainLayne
11-07-2008, 11:28 AM
The only possible way they can fine him for that incident is because they now know what he was planning to do, and I don't think they should do that at all.

I could plan to do all sorts of crazy end zone dances with tons of props, but if I don't actually do them, can you still fine me?

I don't see a fine happening due to his reasoning. The last thing Goodell needs is the appearance that he is punishing black players for supporting Obama. That wouldn't go over well at all.

Here's one spot where Brandon by design or by accident did the right thing. His explanation of what he was planning paints Goodell into a corner where he can't effectively discipline Marshall in a proportionate manner since he didn't follow through with it. Any other reason for it, and I could definitely see a fine coming down.

atwater27
11-07-2008, 11:30 AM
This isn't the politics forum, but I like the sentiment that black people and white people be united and work together. . .. call me crazy or throw up in your mouth some more, but it's a good thought whether your Republican, Democrat, white or black. His heart was in the right place, even if his head wasn't.

Black and white people are united and have been working together here for decades. We didn't need a presidential election to prove it. Or Brandon Marshalls black panther salute. :salute:

Retired_Member_001
11-07-2008, 12:04 PM
I was wondering what he was up to when I saw it, and I saw him take out a glove.

Anyway, if it was the Obama thing, then I don't think it would have been SO bad.

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 02:33 PM
after watching the highlights of this game and the marshall td, i can say that was one of the best heads up plays after the play was over by anyone i had ever seen. smart, smart move by stokely to run over to marshal and the rest of the guys to surround him so he could put it back. that could have cost us the game. i love marshall but his brain goes numb at times.

Foochacho
11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Marshall needs to quit being an idiot plain and simple. Quit running your mouth when we get our asses handed to us. And don't be a Ocho Cinco prop fag. I don't care what it symbolizes we need to win games and shit like that will screw us. San Diego isn't that far behind we can't give them any help.

And Atwater27 is right the unity thing was gay. We have been united for years most racial problems are in peoples heads. The people that think there is still alot of racial problems are usually the most racist because they keep dragging the shit on.

If anything obama will set us back a few years because he has no business being president he has no experience and can't even make up his mind on simple issues. But in most the black populations eyes he can do no wrong and when he sucks it up in the office anyone who bashes him will be looked upon as a racist. Hopefully I am wrong but who knows. IMO obama shouldn't of ran for prez until he at least put in his dues in the senate. By the way I am a republican so I'm still a little bitter. Ron Paul 2012

broncofaninfla
11-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Marshall needs to quit being an idiot plain and simple. Quit running your mouth when we get our asses handed to us. And don't be a Ocho Cinco prop fag. I don't care what it symbolizes we need to win games and shit like that will screw us. San Diego isn't that far behind we can't give them any help.

And Atwater27 is right the unity thing was gay. We have been united for years most racial problems are in peoples heads. The people that think there is still alot of racial problems are usually the most racist because they keep dragging the shit on.

If anything obama will set us back a few years because he has no business being president he has no experience and can't even make up his mind on simple issues. But in most the black populations eyes he can do no wrong and when he sucks it up in the office anyone who bashes him will be looked upon as a racist. Hopefully I am wrong but who knows. IMO obama shouldn't of ran for prez until he at least put in his dues in the senate. By the way I am a republican so I'm still a little bitter. Ron Paul 2012

I've been posting in the politics threads saying basically the same thing! :beer:

topscribe
11-07-2008, 03:10 PM

Thank you. I watched BMarsh have to stop for a spell, during a postgame
interview, while he teared up immediately after uttering the words "red, blue,
and white." He obviously believes great strides were made toward race
relations, and he is happy about it.

In no way do I compare him with T.O. or Chad Johnson regarding that antic.
It shows a good heart, although it also shows the impulsiveness of youth. I'm
just glad that Stokes and Graham were around with the wisdom they have
accumulated with age.

P.S. Oh yes, and by the way, when BMarsh was asked what he attributed
to his perfomance in the game, the first two words out of his mouth were
"Edddie Royal." Doesn't sound like T.O. or Chad to me . . .

-----

topscribe
11-07-2008, 03:10 PM

I've been posting in the politics threads saying basically the same thing! :beer:
And that is where this belongs: in politics.

-----

JKcatch724
11-07-2008, 03:17 PM

Since when is unity gay?

OB
11-07-2008, 03:25 PM
God these players are getting worse n worse - i hope shanny ripped him a new one - his head prolly wasnt in the game cause he was so worried about scoring so he can perform his little act :rolleyes:

Talented or not - dumb ass needs a brain transplant

Magnificent Seven
11-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Marshall would probably sign his name on glove and toss it to the fan. However, I guess Stokley saved him.

DenBronx
11-07-2008, 03:33 PM

accumulated with age.

-----

i was really happy to hear him say that about eddie royal. i think marshall has a good heart and means well but he immature at times. t.o is just mean spirited all around.

Broncos Mtnman
11-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Screw that!!

I could care less what he thinks the election means in the middle of a football game. His "statement" could have cost the Broncos a victory that a bunch of other guys fought their ass off to get.

He can play Obama advocate on his own damn time. On the football field, he's one of about 53 guys that should have only one goal in mind, winning football games.

Shut the hell up Marshall and act like you've been there before, because as we all know, you haven't been all the much lately. And keep your politics to yourself.

:coffee:

Bronco Bible
11-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Do you ever get the feeling he was at Central Florida & not Fsu for this reason ? The immaturity thing I mean, he stops thinking.:coffee:

bcbronc
11-07-2008, 06:03 PM
anyone else feel there's a bit of over-reaction in this thread about an event that didn't even happen?

Retired_Member_001
11-07-2008, 06:11 PM
anyone else feel there's a bit of over-reaction in this thread about an event that didn't even happen?

Yes, I agree with you.

I don't know why, but this has turned into "The Bash Brandon Marshall Thread". He's one of our best players, and one of the players who will be the future of the Franchise. I have no idea why people are getting so upset about it. Marshall was passionate about something and he let it get the best of him. Stokley managed to turn him around, but I still don't see why we should be slamming him so much for this. I doubt the league would have even reacted that badly.

pnbronco
11-07-2008, 06:13 PM

accumulated with age.

-----

Top I was so happy that Stokley stopped him. At first I was, what in world and then I heard him and realized he is so young in many, many ways. It doesn't seem like he has developed that ability to link actions--consequences. So I was really glad that Stokley and Graham got to him and talked him out of it, because if that action had resulted in the team losing, it would have been super ugly.

So I will shake Stokley's hand next time and thank him for keeping a level head and sharing that wisdom with Marshall. Maybe we are seeing a new leader step up, even though he is a fairly quite man.

Lonestar
11-07-2008, 06:16 PM

Then the moron should have worn it all game long if it is allowed by NFL standards....

Something tells me this is one serious head case we have going on here..

Maybe we should start an over under pool on how long he lasts in DEN...

JKcatch724
11-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Do you ever get the feeling he was at Central Florida & not Fsu for this reason ? The immaturity thing I mean, he stops thinking.:coffee:

:confused:

FSU isn't exactly a troop of boy scouts...

Lonestar
11-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Right. I assume he was gonna do it when he scored a touchdown, and it just didn't happen at the right time. Marshall had his head in a weird place all night. bad routes, dropped passes...

I'm just glad Stokley saved him from messing something else up.

~G

Perhaps he was thinking to much about the glove in his jock strap and not about catching the damned ball doing his job....

A true maroon IMHO..

JKcatch724
11-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Perhaps he was thinking to much about the glove in his jock strap and not about catching the damned ball doing his job....

A true maroon IMHO..

Ummm... Did you forget he caught the game winning touchdown pass?

:rolleyes:

Lonestar
11-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Ummm... Did you forget he caught the game winning touchdown pass?

:rolleyes:

did you forget about the ones he dropped or ran the wrong routes in?

He had a couple of good catches but his performance since game two has not been stellar..

He could be the best WR to come along in a decade but he is a immature head case that unless he grows up fast be looking a more suspension time..

Had he done it Had been flagged, the elevator to Goodells office IMHO would have been his next stop..

Not to mention the run back and field position CLE would have had..

His job is to play football not be a spokesman for obama.. Let leave the field to playing the game and save the gestures for HIS TIME off the field..

bcbronc
11-07-2008, 06:59 PM
did you forget about the ones he dropped or ran the wrong routes in?

He had a couple of good catches but his performance since game two has not been stellar..

He could be the best WR to come along in a decade but he is a immature head case that unless he grows up fast be looking a more suspension time..

Had he done it Had been flagged, the elevator to Goodells office IMHO would have been his next stop..

Not to mention the run back and field position CLE would have had..

His job is to play football not be a spokesman for obama.. Let leave the field to playing the game and save the gestures for HIS TIME off the field..

that's the key right there: immature. he's a man-child who still has some growing up to do, no doubt. but so far it's never been about Marshall Marshall Marshall like some other head case WRs (hard to excuse immaturity when your 37).

Marshall's heart is in the right place and hopefully he'll get it upstairs before he goes off the deep end.

Tom Nalen
11-07-2008, 07:19 PM
lmao this thread is funny...bashing the player who has literally given us at least 2 victories...He is also one of the reasons why Royal is doing the job he is doing...

It also seems that he never gets the PI call in his favor...I saw at least 3 PI's that should have been called...But he seems to always get the offensive PI.. I would not trade BMarsh for any receiver in the league not named Calvin Johnson or Fitzgerald.

JKcatch724
11-07-2008, 07:29 PM
i like brandon marshall.

BCJ
11-07-2008, 07:43 PM
lmao this thread is funny...bashing the player who has literally given us at least 2 victories...He is also one of the reasons why Royal is doing the job he is doing...

It also seems that he never gets the PI call in his favor...I saw at least 3 PI's that should have been called...But he seems to always get the offensive PI.. I would not trade BMarsh for any receiver in the league not named Calvin Johnson or Fitzgerald.

What is funny is the fact that his actions dont matter off the field or even on the field in this case as you probably seem to do. We hold our players to a higher standard. We dont Bash TO or Chad Johnson(Cinco) than praise BMArsh. He is supposed to shut up, catch balls, score and be a good citizen. I dont want my players to be in the MEism group of the above mentioned. We want a class team, not classless. We have higher standards at Dove Valley. That is why we are the Broncos.

topscribe
11-07-2008, 07:46 PM
What is funny is the fact that his actions dont matter off the field or even on the field in this case as you probably seem to do. We hold our players to a higher standard. We dont Bash TO or Chad Johnson(Cinco) than praise BMArsh. He is supposed to shut up, catch balls, score and be a good citizen. I dont want my players to be in the MEism group of the above mentioned. We want a class team, not classless. We have higher standards at Dove Valley. That is why we are the Broncos.

I don't consider someone who believes in something so strongly that it brings
him to tears as classless.

I also don't consider someone who is quick to give someone else credit for his
success as classless.

Please refer to Post #75.

-----

Tom Nalen
11-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Meh....even if he had done the Barack Obama TD celbration..I still dont think he should have been flagged or fined...I think the league has created its own negativity in TD celebrations....No one would even care if the NFL did not take such a big stand on it...

Whipdy Damn doo....BMarsh was gunna pull gloves out...Arrest that man on the spot..he is a villain

BCJ
11-07-2008, 07:57 PM

success as classless.

-----

It isnt necessary classless as it is clueless. It isnt about ME, it is about TEAM. I dont need to look back at a post to change my opinion. He almost cost the team the game based on that action. Use your pompous platform somewhere else. This has nothing to do with what he was going to do. I thought this as he was ready to do it. He needs to grow up as a teammate.

Tom Nalen
11-07-2008, 08:01 PM
You know what word I hate the most that is most commonly used in Message board? The word classless...It seems that now a days everything an athlete does is classless... The most stupid word to use when you don't even personally know who you are dealing with

BCJ
11-07-2008, 08:09 PM
You know what word I hate the most that is most commonly used in Message board? The word classless...It seems that now a days everything an athlete does is classless... The most stupid word to use when you don't even personally know who you are dealing with

Once again.... not classless, clueless. As for my opinion on who is and who isnt classless, I can say whatever I damn feel like it. It is an opinion and I use it here. I dont need to know someone personally to know how I I I I feel about him. There are guys who everyone loves but privately is a total jerkoff. It happens the other way around I am sure.

JKcatch724
11-07-2008, 09:11 PM
It isnt necessary classless as it is clueless. It isnt about ME, it is about TEAM. I dont need to look back at a post to change my opinion. He almost cost the team the game based on that action. Use your pompous platform somewhere else. This has nothing to do with what he was going to do. I thought this as he was ready to do it. He needs to grow up as a teammate.

How do you say that Brandon Marshall is all about himself? I want some concrete examples. From what I saw in the postgame interviews, he blamed himself for the INT and dropping balls, and praised Eddie Royal for getting them back in the game. That's not something TO would do.

Just because someone has a passion for playing the game and it shows outwardly doesn't mean he is a "ME" player. He's confident in his abilities, as he should. If he was really a ME player he wouldn't have listened to Stokely.

I think if Mike Shanahan felt the way you do he wouldn't be on the team anymore. But he is.

BCJ
11-07-2008, 09:26 PM
How do you say that Brandon Marshall is all about himself? I want some concrete examples. From what I saw in the postgame interviews, he blamed himself for the INT and dropping balls, and praised Eddie Royal for getting them back in the game. That's not something TO would do.

Just because someone has a passion for playing the game and it shows outwardly doesn't mean he is a "ME" player. He's confident in his abilities, as he should. If he was really a ME player he wouldn't have listened to Stokely.

I think if Mike Shanahan felt the way you do he wouldn't be on the team anymore. But he is.

About himself based on him trying to pull that stunt after the touchdown. It wasnt spontaneous, it was ill conceived and the result could have been a loss. The time it took to plan this was all calculated. He had to have known what it could do towards a penalty. Then you put the timing of the game winning TD with time still to play and he then decided that was the best time to pull the stunt! He didnt care about the cost to the team, he cared about getting HIS personal message out to everyone in TV land. Is he a ME player? maybe not but this was one huge example of not a complete team player. If this cost us the game, we all would be crucifing him. If he didnt think this would cost the team and just a fine by the nfl, he has no clue but at least we know he wont feel bad when Barack comes around and takes more of his paycheck.

OMorange&blue
11-07-2008, 09:45 PM

Meh. This forum's got some serious anti Marshall tendencies. Whatever. Marshall rocks.

Lonestar
11-07-2008, 10:51 PM

Last week when he played bad he called out the defense and slowick..

Instead of calling a spade a spade.. he sucked..

This was about the first time I have heard of him taking responsibility for something he sucked at, without prompting from Rod or Goodell....

Lonestar
11-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Meh. This forum's got some serious anti Marshall tendencies. Whatever. Marshall rocks.

When you have a player that have unlimited potential..

Size, Speed, Hands, Route running blocking skills and serious running ability after the catch.. Almost lead the league in receptions last year came back in game two and almost set a single game receiving record..

This kid could be the greatest WR in history..

TO be a moron at life skills, yep I guess I/WE have some expectations higher than some mediocre on handed WR from Marshall..

Pardon us all to hell...............

Italianmobstr7
11-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Last week when he played bad he called out the defense and slowick..

Instead of calling a spade a spade.. he sucked..

This was about the first time I have heard of him taking responsibility for something he sucked at, without prompting from Rod or Goodell....

That's because the D and Slowick DID SUCK! It's okay for everyone here to call out the D but not the team's own players? He was frustrated. The D needed a big stop after the offense was starting to click. instead they play the same terrible scheme and get drove on all the way down the field. I'd be pissed too. He was starting to get into the game, had a big td called back and then we give the dolphins the ball and the D can't stop them. It's not about the D playing good for all except the last drive. It doesn't matter if our o played bad all day. The D should be good enough to give us 1 more shot at actually winning. They didn't. marshall had every right to be upset.

Lonestar
11-07-2008, 11:03 PM
That's because the D and Slowick DID SUCK! It's okay for everyone here to call out the D but not the team's own players? He was frustrated. The D needed a big stop after the offense was starting to click. instead they play the same terrible scheme and get drove on all the way down the field. I'd be pissed too. He was starting to get into the game, had a big td called back and then we give the dolphins the ball and the D can't stop them. It's not about the D playing good for all except the last drive. It doesn't matter if our o played bad all day. The D should be good enough to give us 1 more shot at actually winning. They didn't. marshall had every right to be upset.

All true * but you do not AS TEAM player, call them out in public WHEN his game sucked maybe not even then this is lockeroom stuff if your angry call a closed door, locker room meeting like Rod used to do....
If he was perfect, perhaps then he could say bring your play up to my level.. but he is not playing like the super stud he IS..

*The PI was a legit call if you take the homer glasses off, he knocked the guy off stride any harder and it would have been off his feet.. They are calling it league wide and have been for a few weeks that I know of..

OB
11-08-2008, 02:39 AM
and how many of u supporters would be praising him right now if Stokes didnt stop him - he got a 15 yd PF penalty and the Browns went on to get the game winning TD :confused:

yes i know speculation - blah blah blah BUT with this kind of attitude, if not checked, will cost us

shank
11-08-2008, 02:43 AM
you guys are getting P&R in my broncos talk...

brandon's cause was very noble. stupid, but very noble. it's a good thing stoke stoppped him, because the time was absolutely wrong, but his intention was unity, of which our country could use much.

Bronco Bible
11-08-2008, 09:49 AM

success as classless.

-----

Top, there is a time and a place,no it is not classless........clueless fits better

topscribe
11-08-2008, 11:07 AM
and how many of u supporters would be praising him right now if Stokes didnt stop him - he got a 15 yd PF penalty and the Browns went on to get the game winning TD :confused:

yes i know speculation - blah blah blah BUT with this kind of attitude, if not checked, will cost us

Again, it wasn't BMarsh's attitude that was the problem. It was judgment. His
attitude was fine. He had the best of intentions. As BB just said to me in the
previous post, there is a time and place.

-----

pnbronco
11-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Yup it's his judgment, my husband said it best he is short sighted. He reminds me of my son a couple of years ago. The kid is smarter than all of us but went to a party in a trailer with 75 other kids and wonder why the police showed up and how much trouble all that caused. My son would not turn in his homework and wonder why he had a F in the class. I have heard that it takes boys longer for the front part of their brain to attach which control the action-consequence response.

It was Sheff that backed Stokley in stopping Marshall. So I am very glad that those 2 cared enough to help him with his judgment and hope that they can continue to guild him.

atwater27
11-08-2008, 11:26 AM
you guys are getting P&R in my broncos talk...

brandon's cause was very noble. stupid, but very noble. it's a good thing stoke stoppped him, because the time was absolutely wrong, but his intention was unity, of which our country could use much.

Brandon Marshall is responsible for bringing P and R into the Broncos discussion. deal with it. And this unity nonsense is crap. He is referring to black panthers with his gesture, who are the absolutely goddamned opposite of racial harmony and unity.

Bronco Bible
11-08-2008, 03:39 PM
:confused:

FSU isn't exactly a troop of boy scouts...

My point is this is why he went to the lesser of the two football programs:coffee:

broncohead
11-08-2008, 04:03 PM
All true * but you do not AS TEAM player, call them out in public WHEN his game sucked maybe not even then this is lockeroom stuff if your angry call a closed door, locker room meeting like Rod used to do....
If he was perfect, perhaps then he could say bring your play up to my level.. but he is not playing like the super stud he IS..

*The PI was a legit call if you take the homer glasses off, he knocked the guy off stride any harder and it would have been off his feet.. They are calling it league wide and have been for a few weeks that I know of..

Cutler called Marshall out whats the difference? It doesn't matter if you play good or not. Cutler wasn't great last year.
That PI call was legit but it didn't almost knock the guy off his feet. Marshall just extended his arm.

Lonestar
11-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Cutler called Marshall out whats the difference? It doesn't matter if you play good or not. Cutler wasn't great last year.
That PI call was legit but it didn't almost knock the guy off his feet. Marshall just extended his arm.

read my post again padiwon almost knocked him off stride was the comment said nothing about his feet..

Going at that speed that could mean a foot more separation getting it back is tough....

OB
11-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Again, it wasn't BMarsh's attitude that was the problem. It was judgment. His
attitude was fine. He had the best of intentions. As BB just said to me in the
previous post, there is a time and place.
-----

no top i respectfully disagree - intentions mean diddly squat if what ur actions were preventable(yet u proceeded) and cost your team the game - its football and winning - only reason is giving a football to a kid so it makes a memory that lass a life time and no ref usually penalizes that

topscribe
11-10-2008, 10:02 AM
no top i respectfully disagree - intentions mean diddly squat if what ur actions were preventable(yet u proceeded) and cost your team the game - its football and winning - only reason is giving a football to a kid so it makes a memory that lass a life time and no ref usually penalizes that

I think the key word in your comment is "kid." He's 24. I know other kids are
more mature than that at 24 (such as Fast Eddie), but I was a "late bloomer"
mentally and emotionally, too, so I can relate. Under those circumstances,
intentions are everything to me because intentions determine whether such a
situation is correctable. Another encouraging sign to me is that he seems to
listen to other people, such as Cutler and Rod Smith.

BMarsh has come a long way, and his intentions are what have gotten him
there. When I saw him break down with emotion during one of his post game
interviews, I knew it was in no way equivalent to T.O.'s or Ocho's antics. I'm
not worried about him.

-----

Retired_Member_001
11-10-2008, 10:10 AM
The Bandon Marshall hate on this board is sickening.

If you hate him that much, then don't cheer when he scores a TD. :coffee:

CoachChaz
11-10-2008, 10:16 AM
This really is a waste of a thread and going nowhere. The radical racists will continue to say his intention was purely "black" driven. The homers will forgive him with understanding and the haters will bytch about his lack of judgement.

He tried, it's over, it's done. All we can do is hope he learned a lesson and on to the next game.

Day1BroncoFan
11-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I'll bitch when he makes mistakes, I'll cheer when he scores or make great catches. If he does stupid things off or on the field that costs our team I'll be pissed.

He is a great receiver and has a lot of potential. I hope he doesn't let his antics get in the way.

Poet
11-10-2008, 12:47 PM
My Point: he doesnt return the ball to the umps
Barry Sanders returned the ball to the umps

And Jerry Rice would spike the ball after a touchdown or dance around in celebration. Brett Favre used to do the throat slash. Celebrations are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be. The celebration rules are just flat out stupid.

Lonestar
11-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Not On The NFL's Turf
By Brett Heinzerling, CBS4 Sports Producer

DENVER (CBS4) ― I understand Brandon Stokley's reaction. As a matter of fact, I think Brandon Stokley's reaction was the right one ... at least as far as football is concerned. When the other Brandon made the decision to honor the election of Barack Obama by violating league rules, he did not have his team, nor did he have the outcome of Thursday night's pivotal game in mind.

But Brandon Marshall was right. His intended celebration of unity was one that would have forced a nation of football fans to confront an issue that is obviously very dear to Marshall. All week in the locker room, Marshall spoke out about his feelings regarding the possibility of Obama's election, then after the fact, he was not shy about the pride he felt in seeing a fellow African-American rise to the highest office in the land.

Most people don't have a forum to make these comments. With a weekly press conference and near-daily interviews, Marshall does, but in the locker room, the words come and go. A very public and very visible demonstration during a nationally televised football game would have given him a platform to speak his mind to a national audience that is simply not available to him on a daily basis.

The gloved hand would have elicited a strong reaction ... both in favor of, and against the demonstration. But more than anything, it would have been a visible representation of what Marshall, and I imagine, an enormous number of Americans believe.

I don't blame Brandon Stokley for preventing what could have become a very poignant moment in American sports. He simply had the best interest of the team in mind. Instead, the blame rests squarely on the NFL. The simple fact that a member of the National Football League has to weigh the consequences between making a political statement and potentially risking a fine and his team's chance at a win is despicable.

He had a decent article going here until the hilited section..

The blame does not rest with the NFL, they have standards THEY wish to adhere to standards that have made the NFL that most respected and popular professional team sport in the USA.

Because they have these standards on and off the field that makes them despicable. Wow is this moron out of touch with reality..

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.obama.reaction.2.859923.html

BroncoJoe
11-10-2008, 01:13 PM
From Peter King's MMQB at si.com:

CLEVELAND -- Gameday. Thursday afternoon, just before 3 p.m., five hours before Browns-Broncos. I was sitting in a Panera Bread place here, having lunch. My phone vibrated.

The screen read: Brandon Marshall. I answered.

"Don't you have a game in a little while?'' I said to the Denver wide receiver.

"Yeah,'' he said. "But I need some advice.''

"Joey Porter?'' I said. "The popcorn-muscle thing?''

"Nah,'' he said. "Forget that thing. I'm thinking of doing something tonight if I score, and I wanted to run something by you.''

Uh-oh. I could just see it now -- Marshall scores, does something lame-brained, gets penalized 15 yards, fined $20,000 and says, "Well, I ran it by Peter King and he thought it was a great idea!''

"Go ahead,'' I said, with a little trepidation.

"I really want to make a statement, a positive statement, about our country because of what's happened this week with Barack Obama getting elected,'' he said. "So I was thinking -- remember back in the Olympics when those two athletes did that black power thing? What was that?''

"The '68 Olympics,'' I said. "Two black Americans got on the medal stand. John Carlos and Tommie Smith. They put on black gloves. They put their fists in the air and looked down when the National Anthem was played. It was their protest over the conditions of blacks in America.''

"Yeah,'' he said. "I don't want to do that. This is nothing political. This is about unifying the country. I want to color my gloves -- half black, half white -- and when I score, hold up my hands to the camera. You know, kind of a gesture of how far we've come as a country that we could elect an African-American as president. Forget Democrat-Republican. Forget black-white. It's about the progress of our country.''

"Great idea,'' I said. "Brilliant idea. I'm trying to think about whether you'd get penalized or fined. I don't think the league would do anything to you.''

"I think I'm going to do it,'' he said.

We got off the phone. At the game that night, I noticed he wasn't wearing the half-and-half gloves, and I wondered if someone had talked him out of it. But in the closing seconds, Jay Cutler threw Marshall the go-ahead touchdown pass, an 11-yarder, giving Denver a 34-30 lead with 1:14 to play. Marshall reached into his pants, struggled for a second (I figured he was reaching for the gloves, which he was), and quickly veteran teammate Brandon Stokley ran to him. "No-no-no!'' Stokley said. "Not now! We can't risk the 15 yards!''

Stokley thought if Marshall made a big show of putting on gloves, seeking out the camera, he might get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct (though if the refs had known the meaning of the gesture, it would actually have been "sportsmanlike'' conduct). And with the greatness of Cleveland returner Joshua Cribbs, Marshall would have risked giving the Browns superb field position to come back and win the game.

In the locker room, dressing next to Marshall, Stokley told me, "His gesture was fine -- but only not at that time. We couldn't take a chance of giving Cleveland 15 yards.''

"Veteran move,'' Marshall said. "Smart move.''

In the wake of the game, somehow, the gesture got to be seen to some as a latter-day black-power salute. As in: We got Obama in the White House, white America, and now we're going to use our power and might to right all these years of inequities. I asked Marshall about it Saturday.

"No, no, no, not at all,'' he said. "Like I told you the other day, this was my silent gesture to say, 'Let's unify this country.' I know what the black power thing was 40 years ago. This was definitely not that. This was about everybody being one. It was about the progress of our country.''

Marshall lived in predominantly black East Liberty, a Pittsburgh neighborhood, until moving to a predominantly white neighborhood in Orlando just before middle school. "In Pittsburgh,'' he said, "There was one white kid, Eric, in my school. In Orlando, I was one of five black kids in my school. So I saw both sides. I have pictures of my best friends, and there are blacks and whites in the pictures.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/11/09/week10/1.html

BCJ
11-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Completely agree on JRWIZ is highlighted comment. IF Brandon just wore it throughout the whole game, it would have been fine not fined! The broadcasters could have known about it and explained it to the audience. That is how he could have got his message out w/o focusing the attention on himself. But that was the plan. BMarsh had to have it focus on him to get the message out.

atwater27
11-10-2008, 05:34 PM
This really is a waste of a thread and going nowhere. The radical racists will continue to say his intention was purely "black" driven. The homers will forgive him with understanding and the haters will bytch about his lack of judgement.

He tried, it's over, it's done. All we can do is hope he learned a lesson and on to the next game.

OK there Big Black.

JKcatch724
11-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Completely agree on JRWIZ is highlighted comment. IF Brandon just wore it throughout the whole game, it would have been fine not fined! The broadcasters could have known about it and explained it to the audience. That is how he could have got his message out w/o focusing the attention on himself. But that was the plan. BMarsh had to have it focus on him to get the message out.

How many times do you look at a receiver's gloves in the course of the game? Everybody looks at you when you score.

Lonestar
11-10-2008, 09:08 PM
How many times do you look at a receiver's gloves in the course of the game? Everybody looks at you when you score.

they could have very easliy recorded a piece with him prior to the game stating why he was wearing the gloves.. and then by prior arrangement played the piece after the score..

Not brain surgery on his part all he would have done was whisper in one of their ears the day before they are always looking for puff pieces to run and him being a hot item WR does not get better than that..

But it sounded like it was "ME" again..

scott.475
11-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Not On The NFL's Turf
By Brett Heinzerling, CBS4 Sports Producer

DENVER (CBS4) ― I understand Brandon Stokley's reaction. As a matter of fact, I think Brandon Stokley's reaction was the right one ... at least as far as football is concerned. When the other Brandon made the decision to honor the election of Barack Obama by violating league rules, he did not have his team, nor did he have the outcome of Thursday night's pivotal game in mind.

But Brandon Marshall was right. His intended celebration of unity was one that would have forced a nation of football fans to confront an issue that is obviously very dear to Marshall. All week in the locker room, Marshall spoke out about his feelings regarding the possibility of Obama's election, then after the fact, he was not shy about the pride he felt in seeing a fellow African-American rise to the highest office in the land.

Most people don't have a forum to make these comments. With a weekly press conference and near-daily interviews, Marshall does, but in the locker room, the words come and go. A very public and very visible demonstration during a nationally televised football game would have given him a platform to speak his mind to a national audience that is simply not available to him on a daily basis.

The gloved hand would have elicited a strong reaction ... both in favor of, and against the demonstration. But more than anything, it would have been a visible representation of what Marshall, and I imagine, an enormous number of Americans believe.

I don't blame Brandon Stokley for preventing what could have become a very poignant moment in American sports. He simply had the best interest of the team in mind. Instead, the blame rests squarely on the NFL. The simple fact that a member of the National Football League has to weigh the consequences between making a political statement and potentially risking a fine and his team's chance at a win is despicable.

He had a decent article going here until the hilited section..

The blame does not rest with the NFL, they have standards THEY wish to adhere to standards that have made the NFL that most respected and popular professional team sport in the USA.

Because they have these standards on and off the field that makes them despicable. Wow is this moron out of touch with reality..

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.obama.reaction.2.859923.html

You know, the blame for this can be placed squarely on the shoulders of Terell Owens. He is the guy that got all of this hugely obnoxious celebrating going several years ago. The writer of the article can screw off, because the NFL was only responding to what TO, and his followers like Johnson, Smith, Horn, et al were doing. Utimately, it ended up biting them, didn't it?

This is TO's fault. Well, actually, it is probably Bush's fault, but after that, it can be placed on TO.

Lonestar
11-10-2008, 11:25 PM
You know, the blame for this can be placed squarely on the shoulders of Terell Owens. He is the guy that got all of this hugely obnoxious celebrating going several years ago. The writer of the article can screw off, because the NFL was only responding to what TO, and his followers like Johnson, Smith, Horn, et al were doing. Utimately, it ended up biting them, didn't it?

This is TO's fault. Well, actually, it is probably Bush's fault, but after that, it can be placed on TO.

you do know everyone want to call Brandon M, BABY TO don't you?

Probably not a great analogy for now..

Magnificent Seven
11-14-2008, 07:00 PM
But revelry has its limits, as teammate reminded Broncos' Marshall.

For the record, the creator of the famed Mile-High Salute did not endorse what Brandon Marshall was about to do.

Terrell Davis, now a football fan like everybody else, had just watched his Broncos complete an improbable comeback against the Cleveland Browns last Thursday night. Jay Cutler threw a touchdown pass to Marshall with 1:14 remaining to give the Broncos a 34-30 lead.

Happy, excited, Marshall immediately grabbed a glove out of his pants. Whatever joy Davis felt for his former team abruptly turned to anguish. The NFL has rules against such theatrics. Davis wanted to jump through the TV.

"I know he was reaching into his pants for something and I was like, 'Hold on, what are you about to do?' " Davis said from Los Angeles, where he is an analyst for the NFL Network. "Knowing you can't use a prop, knowing you could get a 15-yard penalty. You can't understand his rationale. I was able to understand after he explained what he was trying to do. But whatever celebration you had in mind, you don't trump your team's chance of winning the game by trying to prove some social issue. I was a little bewildered at what he was trying to do."

It may comfort Davis and all of Broncoland to know that upon reflection, Marshall agrees. Marshall wanted to honor the election of African-American Barack Obama as president by putting on a black-and-white glove, which in his mind would symbolize the unity of a "multicultural society."

Glove on, Marshall planned to then pose Tommie Smith-John Carlos style (except palm up) for the NFL Network cameras.

A well-meaning, if poorly timed gesture. Luckily for the Broncos, teammate Brandon Stokley was already aware of Marshall's plan. Initially, Stokley was only approaching Marshall to give him a hug, but as he spotted the glove, "something clicked." He told Marshall to put the glove away. The glove would have been considered a prop, an NFL no-no, and the team didn't need to get backed up 15 yards on its ensuing kickoff.

Marshall has received substantial guff over the past week for what was perceived as placing individual attention ahead of team victory, but to his credit, he didn't ignore Stokley. He obeyed. No penalty. Broncos win. And Marshall donated his famed glove Monday to auction at Cutler's charity event, raising $1,000 for a good cause.

"I'm a team guy," Marshall said Thursday. "Stokley's definitely a vet. He was thinking clearer than me. I wasn't paying attention to the situation. All I was thinking about was the fine."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10979441

Magnificent Seven
11-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Stokley's save in spotlight.

After accumulating two Super Bowl rings, 298 catches and 33 touchdowns, Brandon Stokley has earned his share of complimentary back slaps.

Perhaps none of these accomplishments, however, received such hero's treatment as the Stokley Save.

Late in the Broncos' 34-30 win Nov. 6 at Cleveland, Stokley alertly halted Brandon Marshall from making an end-zone demonstration that could have drawn a costly 15-yard penalty.

"It's funny, I've gotten more attention for that thing than a lot of things I've done," Stokley said. "I got so many text messages after that game. It's weird how things work. But I think I did what any good teammate would do at that time."

Marshall had just scored the go-ahead touchdown catch with 1:14 remaining when he pulled out a black-and-white glove from his pants. The glove was a symbol of the racial unity the country demonstrated by electing Barack Obama president.

"Actually, I'm not a guy who sits at home and tries to create different antics in the end zone," Marshall said. "That was just a special week."

One problem with the premeditated gesture: Because the NFL penalizes use of props in end-zone celebrations, and the glove in this instance would have been considered a prop, Marshall would have drawn a 15-yard penalty.

"The ref saw it," Stokley said. "When we were running off the field, the referee was yelling, 'Put that thing away.' I don't think he knew what it was, but he saw it."

The penalty would have forced the Broncos to kick off from their 15 to dangerous Browns returner Joshua Cribbs. But because Stokley was among the Broncos players who learned before the game of Marshall's planned touchdown demonstration, he was able to prevent it.

"I don't know what I was thinking," Stokley said. "I was running over to celebrate with him and I saw him going for it. And then I knew it."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10979447

Day1BroncoFan
11-14-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm glad someone had the presence of mind to stop this.

Thank you Stokely. :salute:

EDIT:

Brandon, next time keep it in your pants. :laugh:

Slick
11-14-2008, 07:07 PM
TD is still a stud. A pro's pro. Damn I miss him.

SR
11-14-2008, 07:23 PM
TD was as classy as they come.

Hobe
11-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Stokely is the man, Marshall is the boy. Grow up Marshall, it's time. There are many way Marshall could have demonstrated his joy at Obama's election without risking his teams win.

Poet
11-14-2008, 08:57 PM

Are you serious?

Chad Johnson was beloved by new and old football fans, casual and hardcore, across the board. When Cincinnati started to become an actual NFL team again people loved it.

Then they started losing, he started to stop celebrating because, and I quote "We are losing right now, there's nothing to be happy about. Why would I celebrate."

If you want to blame anyone blame one of the rest commissioners ever in GODell. My god, people act like this is something more than a game. It's a game, let people celebrate, let them have fun.

People magically forget that Jerry Rice would celebrate in the endzone, Brett Favre would do the throat slash. Hell, pulling out a prop is one thing, but no one cares when players jump into the stands. Even though that is a bigger celebration than going "BAM I GOTS A SHARPIE IN MY SUCK!!!"

The mere fact that there are any big time restrictions on celebrations is brainless. I already know that when Marshall tried to pull out his glove that people were still cheering.

Let the players have some fun, let them pull out a prop here or there, because as fans we all have attachments to our players. A lot of what Chad Johnson has done lately has bothered me. But old boy is playing with a torn labrum, running routes hard as ever, and is not a quitter.

A lot of people hated Shannon Sharpe, but Bronco fans loved him. And, he was your jerk, CJ is our jerk.

Day1BroncoFan
11-14-2008, 09:08 PM
I can argue the point about something you get paid millions to do being a game. I think it's more like a profession. Maybe that's why they call it pro football.

As for the celebrating, if someone doesn't control it there would be 30 minute team dances in the endzone. For some reason people need to have limits set for them, they don't seem to be able to do it on their own.

Poet
11-14-2008, 09:12 PM
I can argue the point about something you get paid millions to do being a game. I think it's more like a profession. Maybe that's why they call it pro football.

As for the celebrating, if someone doesn't control it there would be 30 minute team dances in the endzone. For some reason people need to have limits set for them, they don't seem to be able to do it on their own.

It is a game. It is a game that people played usually from pee wee to high school, and sometimes from high school to college.

This a sport that has no repercussions for failure. If a teacher fails the student is out time, experience, learning, and that's on the minor level. If a doctor fails the repercussions are big.

The list can go on from careers ranging to machinists and military, to lawyers, politicians, etc etc etc.

This is a game, this is not serious. It feels that way when you are a hardcore fan. That is not the truth.

Then set the limit to be no celebrations past ten or twenty seconds. The time argument is flawed greatly because very rarely has any celebration taken longer than the time it takes to get the kicking squad out on the field, line up, hike and kick the ball.

omac
11-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Are you serious?

Chad Johnson was beloved by new and old football fans, casual and hardcore, across the board. When Cincinnati started to become an actual NFL team again people loved it.

Then they started losing, he started to stop celebrating because, and I quote "We are losing right now, there's nothing to be happy about. Why would I celebrate."

If you want to blame anyone blame one of the rest commissioners ever in GODell. My god, people act like this is something more than a game. It's a game, let people celebrate, let them have fun.

People magically forget that Jerry Rice would celebrate in the endzone, Brett Favre would do the throat slash. Hell, pulling out a prop is one thing, but no one cares when players jump into the stands. Even though that is a bigger celebration than going "BAM I GOTS A SHARPIE IN MY SUCK!!!"

The mere fact that there are any big time restrictions on celebrations is brainless. I already know that when Marshall tried to pull out his glove that people were still cheering.

Let the players have some fun, let them pull out a prop here or there, because as fans we all have attachments to our players. A lot of what Chad Johnson has done lately has bothered me. But old boy is playing with a torn labrum, running routes hard as ever, and is not a quitter.

A lot of people hated Shannon Sharpe, but Bronco fans loved him. And, he was your jerk, CJ is our jerk.

Very nice post! :salute: and I agree with it completely.

The NFL would be even more fun again if they allowed the lavish endzone celebrations, the choreographed dances, the flips, everything. Had Brandon waved the black and white glove in the endzone, it would've been a salute to the achievement brought about by Obama and the people of the U.S.

I understand the league trying to get rid of unsportsmanlike celebrations, but fun celebrations shouldn't be outlawed.

Day1BroncoFan
11-14-2008, 09:17 PM
It is a game. It is a game that people played usually from pee wee to high school, and sometimes from high school to college.

This a sport that has no repercussions for failure. If a teacher fails the student is out time, experience, learning, and that's on the minor level. If a doctor fails the repercussions are big.

The list can go on from careers ranging to machinists and military, to lawyers, politicians, etc etc etc.

This is a game, this is not serious. It feels that way when you are a hardcore fan. That is not the truth.

Then set the limit to be no celebrations past ten or twenty seconds. The time argument is flawed greatly because very rarely has any celebration taken longer than the time it takes to get the kicking squad out on the field, line up, hike and kick the ball.

I'm not talking about pee wee or school football. I'm talking about the NFL. It's not a game any more to these guys. How many do you think would be doing this if they didn't get paid millions? My guess is not many of them.

Ask the owner of the teams if they think it's a game. I'll bet you they don't think it is.

Poet
11-14-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm not talking about pee wee or school football. I'm talking about the NFL. It's not a game any more to these guys. How many do you think would be doing this if they didn't get paid millions? My guess is not many of them.

Ask the owner of the teams if they think it's a game. I'll bet you they don't think it is.

Ok, and the NFL is an extrapolation of a game, that is nothing more than a game. I think a lot of them would be playing football because at the least they would make decent money. I also think that the owners are a different story because they are not playing a game, they are running a business that happens to be a game.

Therein lies the difference.

EastCoastBronco
11-15-2008, 09:34 AM
You're absolutely right. They should also be allowed to pull their mothers, wives and kids right out of the endzone seats and start a dance party. Why not? After all for some of these guys, it may be the only score they ever get. Each one of them should be given a remote control to the stadium's PA system so they can play their very own custom song. Hell, it could be like Dancing with the Stars in the endzone. Christ, half of these tools now don't even wait to score a touchdown to celebrate. From what I've seen there are almost as many First Down celebrations as there are endzone celebrations. Remember that shit that Bettis used to do after every single run over 3 yards? Get back to the damn huddle and shut up. If you're as good as you think you are the camera will be on you regardless. Leave the frosting in the fridge. Just be the damn cake and shut up.

It's the NFL, not the WWE. Score the points(eg..do what you're getting paid to do), give the damn ball to the ref and get the special teams on the field.

Poet
11-15-2008, 02:09 PM
You're absolutely right. They should also be allowed to pull their mothers, wives and kids right out of the endzone seats and start a dance party. Why not? After all for some of these guys, it may be the only score they ever get. Each one of them should be given a remote control to the stadium's PA system so they can play their very own custom song. Hell, it could be like Dancing with the Stars in the endzone. Christ, half of these tools now don't even wait to score a touchdown to celebrate. From what I've seen there are almost as many First Down celebrations as there are endzone celebrations. Remember that shit that Bettis used to do after every single run over 3 yards? Get back to the damn huddle and shut up. If you're as good as you think you are the camera will be on you regardless. Leave the frosting in the fridge. Just be the damn cake and shut up.

It's the NFL, not the WWE. Score the points(eg..do what you're getting paid to do), give the damn ball to the ref and get the special teams on the field.

You are right, it is the NFL, the National Football League. That says it all, it's a game.

The NFL loves to crackdown on huge celebration guys, but they sure love it when Chad Johnson gets a lot of national attention and people pay attention to him.

The NFL loves it when Chad Johnson has a big game and his jersey sales spike.

I know the NFL loved it when T.O. pulled out that sharpie and also made national news.

Jerome Bettis has celebrated after a big first down. In fact, he used to do it frequently against the Bengals, a team that he hated with a passion.

People drool over Hines Ward, and no one ever mentions that on several occasions he has taken player's or team's dances in the endzone, like when he did the eagle swoop that TO did, or mocked the Icky Shuffle.

Please, give me a break. The celebrations last all of 5-20 seconds.

The fact of the matter is that when I ask you how the celebrations hurt the game the only response is going to be something along the lines of "I'm old school" or something silly like that.

broncohead
11-15-2008, 02:17 PM

They get paid to entertain the fans and some fans like the celebrations.

EastCoastBronco
11-15-2008, 02:41 PM
You are right, it is the NFL, the National Football League. That says it all, it's a game.

The NFL loves to crackdown on huge celebration guys, but they sure love it when Chad Johnson gets a lot of national attention and people pay attention to him.

The NFL loves it when Chad Johnson has a big game and his jersey sales spike.

I know the NFL loved it when T.O. pulled out that sharpie and also made national news.

Jerome Bettis has celebrated after a big first down. In fact, he used to do it frequently against the Bengals, a team that he hated with a passion.

People drool over Hines Ward, and no one ever mentions that on several occasions he has taken player's or team's dances in the endzone, like when he did the eagle swoop that TO did, or mocked the Icky Shuffle.

Please, give me a break. The celebrations last all of 5-20 seconds.

The fact of the matter is that when I ask you how the celebrations hurt the game the only response is going to be something along the lines of "I'm old school" or something silly like that.

I didn't say that it hurt the game..The point I was making is that it's annoying as hell. You seem to think that these jokers are doing this shite to entertain. I think they are nothing more than celf centered goofs.
I work in an IT shop and if one of my co-workers did a freaking celebration dance every time he got a piece of code to compile (something he gets paid to do) I would tell him to get back to work.
Celebrate when you win the war. Not after each individual battle.

EastCoastBronco
11-15-2008, 02:43 PM
They get paid to entertain the fans and some fans like the celebrations.

Last time I checked, they get paid to win football games. If they want to get paid to entertain the fans they can join the circus...

Day1BroncoFan
11-15-2008, 02:48 PM
The reason the NFL limits it in the first place goes back to the idiots that started doing it in the first place.

Each one had to out do the others. It soon got to be where they would do some stupid looking endzone dance that lasted for way longer than it should. It annoyed everyone including the refs so they decided there should be limits on what and how long it could be done.

If the players would not have abused it there would be no limits.

I rememger watching some of those games and thinking "why do they let these idiots keep doing this", apparanty I was not alone.

Poet
11-15-2008, 03:56 PM
The reason the NFL limits it in the first place goes back to the idiots that started doing it in the first place.

Each one had to out do the others. It soon got to be where they would do some stupid looking endzone dance that lasted for way longer than it should. It annoyed everyone including the refs so they decided there should be limits on what and how long it could be done.

If the players would not have abused it there would be no limits.

I rememger watching some of those games and thinking "why do they let these idiots keep doing this", apparanty I was not alone.

Outdo who? Chad Johnson in large part did his celebrations for the fans. The Cincinnati fans loved it. They ate it up, it was part of going to a Bengal game. Go see your Bengals and watch your dominant WR get into the end zone and have fun. That was what it was about.

Steve Smith never did anything over the top.

Joe Horn pulled out a cell phone.

TO pulled out a sharpie.

People make it sound like they walked on the NFL logo and pissed on it. Very few NFL celebrations take up a lot of time, and to assert otherwise is just flat out wrong.

Poet
11-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Last time I checked, they get paid to win football games. If they want to get paid to entertain the fans they can join the circus...

The NFL is set up for entertainment. That is why the league exists.

The players are entertainers.

Poet
11-15-2008, 03:59 PM
I didn't say that it hurt the game..The point I was making is that it's annoying as hell. You seem to think that these jokers are doing this shite to entertain. I think they are nothing more than celf centered goofs.
I work in an IT shop and if one of my co-workers did a freaking celebration dance every time he got a piece of code to compile (something he gets paid to do) I would tell him to get back to work.
Celebrate when you win the war. Not after each individual battle.

How is it annoying? Oh no, a celebration. My god, CJ proposed to a cheerleader as a joke, IT IS SO ANNOYING!:rolleyes:

Your co-workers are not entertainers, your co-workers are not paid money to put on a show for the fans.

The fact of the matter is that people make too big of a deal out of the celebrations.

Day1BroncoFan
11-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Outdo who? Chad Johnson in large part did his celebrations for the fans. The Cincinnati fans loved it. They ate it up, it was part of going to a Bengal game. Go see your Bengals and watch your dominant WR get into the end zone and have fun. That was what it was about.

Steve Smith never did anything over the top.

Joe Horn pulled out a cell phone.

TO pulled out a sharpie.

People make it sound like they walked on the NFL logo and pissed on it. Very few NFL celebrations take up a lot of time, and to assert otherwise is just flat out wrong.

I think my post is self explainatory. If you can't understand it maybe you should go back and view some of the old footage. Chad Johnson is a current player, this was decided long before he came along.

EDIT:

Football players get paid to make plays on the field not act out their fantasies in the endzone.

EastCoastBronco
11-15-2008, 08:27 PM
King...It's obvious that you like and actually endorse the happy horseshit that some of these fools partake in after they get a first down or a sack or a touchdown. I don't. We are never going to see eye to eye on this one so I'll leave you with this....
I hope that whatever game you view tomorrow leaves you thoroughly entertained. If the games don't entertain you tomorrow then just wait until Monday night. Tony Kornheiser will entertain you. That's what ESPN is paying him to do.

broncohead
11-15-2008, 08:49 PM

If they didn't entertain anybody then there wouldn't be an NFL. I have a solution if you don't like it so much then after every touchdown or first down close your eyes. That should solve the problem.

Poet
11-15-2008, 08:53 PM
King...It's obvious that you like and actually endorse the happy horseshit that some of these fools partake in after they get a first down or a sack or a touchdown. I don't. We are never going to see eye to eye on this one so I'll leave you with this....
I hope that whatever game you view tomorrow leaves you thoroughly entertained. If the games don't entertain you tomorrow then just wait until Monday night. Tony Kornheiser will entertain you. That's what ESPN is paying him to do.

I find most of it to be funny. I don't really endorse it because...well...how can a 20 year old actually endorse anything?;)

If you are upset by a mini celebration after a first down, or a sack, then you really really need some help man. My god, it's a small gesture........

I hope that the games tommorrow leave you feeling entertained, and I hope that both of our teams win.:salute:

Poet
11-15-2008, 08:55 PM
I think my post is self explainatory. If you can't understand it maybe you should go back and view some of the old footage. Chad Johnson is a current player, this was decided long before he came along.
But recently they turned up the fine levels, and started to enforce the silly rule. Therefore, in essence, my point stands.
EDIT:

Football players get paid to make plays on the field not act out their fantasies in the endzone.

They get paid to play a game, which entertains us all. In turn, some of them want to have a little fun while playing a game that in all reality does not matter and celebrate. Most players do it in a fun way that is respectful, like Chad Johnson. People who get so worked up over it really need to chill out.

Day1BroncoFan
11-16-2008, 12:16 PM
They get paid to play a game, which entertains us all. In turn, some of them want to have a little fun while playing a game that in all reality does not matter and celebrate. Most players do it in a fun way that is respectful, like Chad Johnson. People who get so worked up over it really need to chill out.

Why are you putting words in when you quote me as though I said it?

Any way we'll never agree on this. You obviously don't care to look at the reason this all started in the first place. I don't think you were even close to being born yet. Didn't you say your 20?

I don't care about the little stuff they do these days all I'm saying is just try to understand why they do it in the first place.

You keep mentioning Chad Johnson because you are a bengals fan. I've never even seen him do a celebration in the end zone so I can't even talk on that point. I don't watch the bengals.

Just chill out and try to see it from my point of view is all. I can see your point but I disagree.

Football is a profesional sport and is entertainment but it's way beyond game. I suppose in the technical sense of the word "game" then NFL football is a game. The fact that there is millions of dollars involved in it for the players negates that in my and and many others opinions.

True definition of game is that it is done for fun. While they may have fun playing if you stop the flow of money the NFL would die. Football would revert back to where it started, just a bunch of guys getting together for fun.

Poet
11-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Why are you putting words in when you quote me as though I said it?

Any way we'll never agree on this. You obviously don't care to look at the reason this all started in the first place. I don't think you were even close to being born yet. Didn't you say your 20?
Yes, I am 20, however, I think I may know more than you would give me credit for.;)
I don't care about the little stuff they do these days all I'm saying is just try to understand why they do it in the first place.

You keep mentioning Chad Johnson because you are a bengals fan. I've never even seen him do a celebration in the end zone so I can't even talk on that point. I don't watch the bengals.
I keep mentioning Chad Johnson because he is the best example to use. Loved when his team was a playoff caliber team, loved when they were winning, and loved when he put on a show at MNF, basically loved for several years he was the argument. People would bring up T.O. and others would bring up Chad Johnson to kind of show that you can celebrate and not be a jerk. As far as watching the Bengals, I can summarize it for you my man. Imagine watching paint dry, and then have that paint come to life and kick you in the balls..........twice.
Just chill out and try to see it from my point of view is all. I can see your point but I disagree.
If it isn't a heated debate it means that people don't really care about it my man. I argue hard, it doesn't mean that I dislike you.
Football is a profesional sport and is entertainment but it's way beyond game. I suppose in the technical sense of the word "game" then NFL football is a game. The fact that there is millions of dollars involved in it for the players negates that in my and and many others opinions.
Football is a professional game. That really kind of sounds like an oxy-moron. The fact is that there are millions of dollars involved only shows how much we love our games. Which, is pretty sweet if you ask me.
True definition of game is that it is done for fun. While they may have fun playing if you stop the flow of money the NFL would die. Football would revert back to where it started, just a bunch of guys getting together for fun.

Why do you think they have to stop the flow? What does that have to do with celebrations? Just because there are celebrations and this is a game with a lot of money in it doesn't mean anything to me. Seeing how a lot of those aforementioned WRs in this game get people to watch the game, I guess they are pretty good for the game.

Day1BroncoFan
11-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Why do you think they have to stop the flow? What does that have to do with celebrations? Just because there are celebrations and this is a game with a lot of money in it doesn't mean anything to me. Seeing how a lot of those aforementioned WRs in this game get people to watch the game, I guess they are pretty good for the game.

You're not even making sense anymore. :rolleyes: